Bethesda Doesn't Enjoy Being "Forced" into Mojang Lawsuit

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Psychotic-ishSOB:

Marshall Honorof:

Mojang's desired use of the word "scrolls" seems innocent enough, but if Bethesda does not protect its copyright, other companies could produce deliberately-confusing titles like The Eldest Scrolls: Skyrings and leave Bethesda with no legal recourse.

Is that really true, because that seems like you just extrapolated the info of this case into something irrelevant and untrue.

I'd like to point out to everyone, as I said in my last post, that you are correct and that is not true in any way shape or form. Nor is the idea that if Bethesda does not sue Mojang they won't be able to protect their trademark in the future. The amount of lies and misconceptions that are in the Original Post in this thread and in the article written by the escapist magazine employee and published to another site makes me wonder how much Bethesda is paying them. I honestly can't imagine any other way someone could put their name to something so utterly wrong and misleading. I'm assuming Bethesda is attempting to come back from the absolute devastation to their PR and at this point I wouldn't put it past them to pay people off to publish articles favoring them on high traffic websites. Like this one.

Drake Barron:

Psychotic-ishSOB:

Marshall Honorof:

Mojang's desired use of the word "scrolls" seems innocent enough, but if Bethesda does not protect its copyright, other companies could produce deliberately-confusing titles like The Eldest Scrolls: Skyrings and leave Bethesda with no legal recourse.

Is that really true, because that seems like you just extrapolated the info of this case into something irrelevant and untrue.

I'd like to point out to everyone, as I said in my last post, that you are correct and that is not true in any way shape or form. Nor is the idea that if Bethesda does not sue Mojang they won't be able to protect their trademark in the future. The amount of lies and misconceptions that are in the Original Post in this thread and in the article written by the escapist magazine employee and published to another site makes me wonder how much Bethesda is paying them. I honestly can't imagine any other way someone could put their name to something so utterly wrong and misleading. I'm assuming Bethesda is attempting to come back from the absolute devastation to their PR and at this point I wouldn't put it past them to pay people off to publish articles favoring them on high traffic websites. Like this one.

Games Journalists...are not...PAID OFF!!!!!!!!! You really think he's gonna risk his credibility by taking a bribe over a news story? Take that shit to NeoGaf.

The only people who would ever hear 'elder scrolls' or 'scrolls' in conversation are obviously somewhat avid gamers already, and that demographic could tell you the difference between the two in a heartbeat.

Psychotic-ishSOB:

Drake Barron:

Psychotic-ishSOB:

Games Journalists...are not...PAID OFF!!!!!!!!! You really think he's gonna risk his credibility by taking a bribe over a news story? Take that shit to NeoGaf.

I'd love to believe that, but as I said: the amount of straight up lies, slightly altered truths, and biased slant of the article seem to point to only that, or someone who just hates Mojang and let it affect their Journalism.

Drake Barron:

'snip'

I'd love to believe that, but as I said: the amount of straight up lies, slightly altered truths, and biased slant of the article seem to point to only that, or someone who just hates Mojang and let it affect their Journalism.

Lets actually look at the claims in the article before you say stuff like this.

1) The USPTO stated that 'scrolls' is not sufficently different from 'the elder scrolls' to 'overcome a likelyhood of confusion'
The journalist is just reporting what the USPTO said. He then reworded the statement to make it slightly clearer, that the USPTO believes that consumers would confuse one with the other.
That the USPTO may be acting like idiots in this particular case does not make the Journalist a liar.

2) That Failing to protect a trademark can damage ones claim to the trademark.
The journalist quotes a expert on the matter, so even if this is not true, (and it is true), the Journalist is not lying, the expert is or is mistaken.

3)The people at Bethesda aren't happy about having to go to court.
again a quote being reported.

if you want to claim that the article if full of 'straight up lies', you need to show that one of these people did not in fact say what they did.

I still don't get why the people who created Ninja Scroll aren't suing the both of them. That title is older than either of the parties involved. Judging by the way the law is written, replacement of a word and pluralization of another is not enough to avoid confusion either.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here