Lollipop Chainsaw Aims to Provide A "Fun, Happy" Zombie Experience

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Lollipop Chainsaw Aims to Provide A "Fun, Happy" Zombie Experience

Designer Suda51 says his latest project is all about giving the world its first funtime zombie adventure, complete with "hearts and rainbows."

Lollipop Chainsaw, it seems, aims to misbehave. No more of this macabre, slightly scary horror zombie stuff, says lead designer Goichi "Suda51" Suda; instead, let's have a teenage cheerleader with an accessorized chainsaw mow her delightful way through the undead hordes with a healthful dose of sparkle and fun.

Speaking to IGN UK, Suda51, head of studio Grasshopper Manufacture, elaborated on his vision for Lollipop Chainsaw. When asked how he'd describe the game, he replied that it's a "zombie-hunting cheerleader who is working to uncover the reason behind a zombie outbreak...armed with a chainsaw."

"A fun, happy zombie game has yet to exist," he continued. "Lollipop Chainsaw is the only zombie game that has hearts and rainbows. It is a game you can enjoy with popcorn! Gritty, realistic zombie games already exist, so there is no need for us to make them. Rainbows are scattered everywhere in Lollipop Chainsaw to highlight the fact that this is a fun, but offbeat game."

One of the game's biggest draws will be Juliet, its scantily-clad cheerleading heroine. "I wanted to give birth to a video game heroine who supersedes past female video game characters, so here Juliet makes her debut!" enthused Suda51.

Given the decidedely surreal tone of much of Grasshopper Manufacture's past work (including titles such as No More Heroes, Killer7 and Shadows of the Damned) it wouldn't have made sense to expect a normal zombie adventure from this particular studio. Still, a cheerleader deterring the apocalypse with chainsaws, rainbows and love? There aren't many other studios which could even hope to pull this off; but since Suda has good form for this brand of weirdness, count me in.

Source: IGN UK

this sounds like exactly what I had hoped Bikini Zombie Slayers was going to be. I was dissapinted on that one but I'm really looking forward to this.

You had me at hello.

Do you think adding a unicorn to that would be a bit much or too quirky? Because I'd imagine her riding it as she's killing people with her chainsaw.

I can't wait. This game is sounding better and better.

I don't undertand. Has there ever been a zombie game that wasn't fun and happy?

color me curious, lol

Fiz_The_Toaster:
You had me at hello.

Do you think adding a unicorn to that would be a bit much or too quirky? Because I'd imagine her riding it as she's killing people with her chainsaw.

If they add a unicorn in, I'm going to assume they'll also start advocating the idea of "love and tolerating the shit out of the zombies" to death somewhere as well.

Everytime I get all grumbly about crap like Skyrim and Gears of War 3, I remember that this game exists and instantly cheer up. I love Suda, and I am super excited for this game.

Yeah this is most likely going to be a cult game, but I can be wrong due to Catherine being a hit.

Only time will tell.

I was disappointed with it...

darthotaku:
this sounds like exactly what I had hoped Bikini Zombie Slayers was going to be. I was dissapinted on that one but I'm really looking forward to this.

Yep. Suda should add the craziness and lightness of tone that Onechanbara needed.

So excited about it.
But... I've never played a Suda51 game before. D:

oh Suda, I love you so, every time I turn around you have something wonderful and beautiful for us like a bloodstained Santa Claus.

"One of the game's biggest draws will be Juliet, its scantily-clad cheerleading heroine. "I wanted to give birth to a video game heroine who supersedes past female video game characters, so here Juliet makes her debut!" enthused Suda51."

Supersedes in what way, exactly? Because it doesn't seem to be a positive one.

Not that I'm complaining about Juliet; I don't think games that are trying to be light hearted and silly need to adhere to my standards of character design, but it seems odd to say that Bikini Cheerleader will supersede past female characters.

Anyway. Fun happy zombie slaying will always sit right with me. Sign me up.

My god, if this succeeds, Suda is going to be one of the craziest fuckers ever. Him and his best friend Hideo.

So what I'm getting is that this will be a zombie game, where the main character is a Magical Girl.

Sounds like fun.

cursedseishi:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
You had me at hello.

If they add a unicorn in, I'm going to assume they'll also start advocating the idea of "love and tolerating the shit out of the zombies" to death somewhere as well.

They damn well better not! If they add the unicorn, I demand my zombie murder rampage to be not only awesome but majestic!

Fiz_The_Toaster:
You had me at hello.

They had me at "Suda 51".

Did anyone else see this and immediately think <Chainsaws would be a horrible weapon against zombies if they really happened.>?

Shinomori:
Did anyone else see this and immediately think <Chainsaws would be a horrible weapon against zombies if they really happened.>?

Rule of Cool my friend

O.T. one of the craziest games I've ever heard and deffinate buy for me

i always said l4d needed more rainbows lol
also if at the end of this game she dumps the head of her boyfriend for travis touchdown i might die of happiness

Hevva:
One of the game's biggest draws will be Juliet, its scantily-clad cheerleading heroine. "I wanted to give birth to a video game heroine who supersedes past female video game characters, so here Juliet makes her debut!" enthused Suda51.

A scantily clad, conventionally attractive white heroine?

Fucking hell, what an idea! How did nobody think of this before?

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I can't wait. This game is sounding better and better.

You know why i can't wait for this game and you should know the voice actress for the main character is none other than Tara Strong also known for her roles as Twilight Sparkle, Princess Clara, Toots and Timmy Turner.

I don't like Zombie games unless there's a unique take on them, and this sounds like it would be just up my alley. I will buy Suda-san's game on the first day it's out.

Here's a video of the pax demo, so you can all take what you like from it, as stated in the video gameplay starts at 3:19, before that Vash12349 (a great LPer btw, shameless plug har har) talks about what he thought of it, since you can't hear very well in the vid

I saw a trailer for this game in Gamestop today. Zombies explode into hearts and confetti when killed.

There was a disco rock boss where they were fighting on a dance floor.

It all looks very...epic.

You know, I sometimes wonder if Suda is just toying with us. As far as wierd things go this sounds somewhat tame, which oddly enough seems to be the pace he's going at. I've yet to see gameplay, so I can't say for sure whether or not it will be a bad game to play (based on my experiences it can vary rapidly, although never really reach "amazing" gameplay), but based on everything put out to us right now it seems like the type of game where Suda actually laughs at everyone who buys this game. I suppose color me cautious, without the optimism.

*Ahem*

Stubbs the Zombie.

There, a not-so-grim zombie game. The game is tons of fun too.

Also, call me a party pooper but I don't see how that heroine exceeds past heroine models. She wears a bikini and uses heavy machinery. Looks more like a Miss August photo shoot to me.

But alright, it's Suda51. I'll still give it a shot. I don't suppose it would be fair to be so harsh when I haven't even played the game.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
You had me at hello.

I don't think anything is "too quirky" for Suda to put in his games. I kind of like your unicorn idea. I personally can't wait for this game to come out.

Beautiful End:
*Ahem*

Stubbs the Zombie.

There, a not-so-grim zombie game. The game is tons of fun too.

I came to this thread to say the same thing.

Its fun and adorable.

coates32:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
You had me at hello.

I don't think anything is "too quirky" for Suda to put in his games. I kind of like your unicorn idea. I personally can't wait for this game to come out.

Too true, and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept something out of telling the press as to "surprise" us, they know no bounds to their quirkiness. I can't help but think it's Buffy only in a zombie scenario, and much more perky.

I can imagine the unicorn looking so majestic and amazing while she sits on it while both of them are covered in blood.....I should probably stop watching so many Evil Dead movies.....

"Buffy on steroids with rainbows" was my first thought, too. I just hope it's a game I wouldn't be ashamed to tell another living soul I owned...

Hmm... zombies, rainbows and chainsaws...

That honestly doesn't feel very happy. More psychotic...

Ever since reading this, I've just been unable to even want a zombie game, and this doesn't change that. You've been warned!

"I wanted to give birth to a video game heroine who supersedes past female video game characters, so here Juliet makes her debut!" enthused Suda51.

I laughed about this statement for about five minutes. White, skinny, no pants wearing cheerleader? You push the boundaries TOO far, sir!

Put some damn pants on her and then we'll talk about superseding past character design.

This looks like it could be too much fun.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how committed to a game like this I'd be - would I get bored of it too quickly?

Either way, I'm definitely up for giving this a go. It also looks a bit like I could get my button bash on and I'm never afraid of that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here