Your Cell Phone Might be Diseased

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Your Cell Phone Might be Diseased

A recent study reveals that between you and your pals, one of you is likely carrying E. coli in your pocket.

A group of British research scientists recently traveled the globe with but one lofty goal in mind: to test your cell phone for fecal matter. Sure it was a dirty job, and it's very possible that no one asked them to do it, but twelve major cities and thousands of grossed up cotton swabs later, they had their results all the same. One in six cell phones is covered in E. coli. Eww ...

Most strains of E. coli are perfectly natural and safe, at least when they stay in your intestines where they belong. It's actually one of many bacterium located in the lower intestinal tracts of humans and animals, and is pretty handy to have around. E. coli helps the body produce the much needed vitamin K, as well as stave off other, less beneficial bacteria from claiming real estate in your innards. Some strains, however, aren't quite as friendly. They can cause food poisoning, bowel troubles, and sometimes even death in young children.

If you represent the unfortunate 16.67% of people pressing E. coli against your ear every time you call your Aunt Milley in Hoboken, that doesn't (necessarily) mean you've been taking your life lessons from Pig Pen. People transmit this and other foul germs all of the time by shaking hands, touching public railings, kung-fu fighting, and reaching into the same bag of jumbo pretzels. Still, it has to start somewhere, and the fact that such a high percentage of cellular devices are currently covered in the stuff implies that there are more than a handful of people out there not washing up after using the restroom.

I'm not sure what the point of this global study was, other than to inform us that we are very, very dirty. While that shouldn't be news to anyone, I always appreciate it when researchers use science to remind us of the lessons many of us seem to have forgotten since elementary school. Wash those little fingers and thumbs, children! Also, not to sound alarms, but I'm starting to wonder how many console controllers currently share the same bacterial fate. We'd better go home and give them a good scrubbing just to be sure.

Source: Geek.com

At first I was like "Oh shit this isn't like Stephen King's Cell right?" But it's just E.Coli.

Oh, right, E.Coli can kill you if it's the wrong strain or something. Woops.

But the soap adverts have been telling us this for years!

Your lifestyle will give you terrible diseases! BUY OUR SOAP

Mike Kayatta:
A group of British research scientists recently traveled the globe with but one lofty goal in mind: to test your cell phone for fecal matter.

Ok, who hadn't got a smart-ass reply already for that line?

Didn't they do that test on one of the Science programmes though that your normal office desk had 6 times as many germs on it as the public toilets at Glastonbury?

Let me see if I can find that...brb

Edit: oh...

"We don''t think twice about eating at our desks, even though the average desk has 100 times more bacteria than a kitchen table and 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet," reveals Gerba. "Without cleaning, a small area on your desk or phone can sustain millions of bacteria that could potentially cause illness."

Where your hand is at the moment? Probably 10 million bacteria. Granted few of them are harmful, but fecal matter? Likely to be quite a bit of it.

I saw this on the news channel days ago. They say that how your phone is covered by E.Coli in the first place is simply not washing your hand after using the toliet and using your phone afterward. So just wash your hands unless someone give it to you instead.

Almost every hard surface in your house has dangerous germs/bacteria on it, it is normal. Lucky your immune system is pretty good at handling them, and it keeps your immune system in check. However if you kill off these germ/bacteria by like washing your hands(to much) and keep disinfecting everything and not giving your immune system enough to do, so when these germ/bacteria do infect you, your immune system doesn't take the threat seriously enough. I'm not saying that you shouldn't wash your hands after you visit the bathroom, that just basic hygiene.

So... This proves we don't wash our electronic devices?

How is this a surprise to anyone? There are germs everywhere, and no one ever cleans their phone.

The moral of the story is to STOP PLAYING ANGRY BIRDS IN THE BATHROOM.

...I wonder when society will realize we have immune systems for a reason and stop spazzing out about germs like this.

Cowabungaa:
At first I was like "Oh shit this isn't like Stephen King's Cell right?" But it's just E.Coli.

Oh, right, E.Coli can kill you if it's the wrong strain or something. Woops.

ANYTHING BUT THAT. Seriously I heard the audio book of that story and. I'd rather take on E.Coli.

TestECull:
...I wonder when society will realize we have immune systems for a reason and stop spazzing out about germs like this.

I don't think this is about there being "germs" on your phone. I think this is about having poop on your phone.

I'm a daring soul, apparently. When my phone's belt strap failed, it decided to do so when I was in the bathroom. Fell right in the toilet. I removed the battery, washed it off as best I could, and let it dry for a few days.

Still works. Still use it.

Mike Kayatta:

TestECull:

I don't think this is about there being "germs" on your phone. I think this is about having poop on your phone.

If you only knew how many people I saw walk right out of a bathroom instead of washing their hands when I worked at Wal-Mart. That's just the ones I saw, though.

If you only knew ...

Panzervaughn:

But that's the only place I don't get disturbed...

OT: I'm curious as to what drove them to do this.

My cell phone isn't diseased! Mr. Nurgle, who sold it to me assured me that there were no diseases, plagues or blights on or in the phone, and I'm sure he wouldn't lie! :p

Seriously, though, this article just goes to prove how little we know about what's on our daily items. We like to think we live in a clean and sterile society (for the most part), but we're surronded with fecal matter, saliva, bacteria, snot, etc. We come in contact with it every day without even knowing. And you know what? We're still fine. Now, I'm not saying we should all pop a poop into our mouths to celebrate, but saying "OMG, there's filth on your things!" is kinda silly. Of course there is. Get used to it. There's crap on your stuff as well...

so, if i were to say use my phone to browse the internet on the shitter, it might have E.coli?

well, now i dont have to worry who might have the disease-phone.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
So... This proves we don't wash our electronic devices?

well theres the whole 'water+electricity=bad' thing.

Oh no there is mircos on the thing I keep in my warm pocket and put near my face...and so does my knife, fork, hand, headphones, table, loo, keyboard, screen, light switch, etc etc etc.

Who CARES, that shit is everywhere.

In all fairness it's not like you can really was a phone under running water or anything.

Ha! I actually use disinfectant wipes on my phone every day or two. Yay for being ahead of the curve.

Mike Kayatta:
not to sound alarms, but I'm starting to wonder how many console controllers currently share the same bacterial fate. We'd better go home and give them a good scrubbing just to be sure.

wash my controllers?

screw that, IM BUYING ENTIRELY NEW ONES.

granted, Im the only one that actually uses them, but Ill be damned if I use the "shitty" controller.

Haha, if you think we are dirty now... just go back in time 40 years, or 60, or a thousand. People are dirty. E.Coli has existed forever, yet here we sit, the largest population ever. The point of this global study was to sell soap and convince people that showering one time a day isn't enough. Or maybe to fear monger. Either way, I would be interested to see if the party who payed for this is happy with the results. Or you know, if they know their money went to a study that was pointless.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Where your hand is at the moment?

In my mouth. ;_;

With THAT in mind, I read somewhere that the dirtiest object in your home is your keyboard.

Also, I read in "Fast Food Nation" as well as a few other places that raw beef is almost 100% of the time contaminated with E. Coli. I'll let those implications sink in.

Aeshi:
In all fairness it's not like you can really was a phone under running water or anything.

Alcohol-based hand wipes. Even just a bit of rubbing alcohol on a tissue.

Eeeh, no need to panic. I have actually mutated a strain of E. coli to be resistant to penicillin and that was an experiment in basic molecular biology. We wore no protection and we were not required to clean ourselves using alcohol when we were done. The mutated strains however do pose a threat to us. However I am not sure if we can get E. Coli by skin contact or not. Basically though wash your hands before you eat, wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Old news. What's interesting though is that this reveals some seriously sketchy hygiene in 1 of 6 of us...

Well its not exactly doing me any harm is it.

I reaaly hate how everyone thinks they must KILL ALL GERMS OR THEY WILL DIE

To be fair it doesn't mean that 1 in 6 people don't wash their hands, it just means that 1 in 6 people have phones that have been exposed to E.Coli. That could happen in all manner of ways.

I knew I wasn't the only one who shoves my phone up my ass...

Panzervaughn:

Not only hilarious, but probably also fairly accurate. :)

Frylock72:
If you only knew how many people I saw walk right out of a bathroom instead of washing their hands when I worked at Wal-Mart. That's just the ones I saw, though.

Well, that's Wal-Mart. Only the lowest rung of society shop there.

*ahem*

But yeah, I've always been skeptical about other people bothering to wash their piss- and shit-stained hands. And so are the people who design restrooms, apparently; that's why so many have toilets that flush themselves automatically, sinks that turn on automatically, energy-sucking electric hand-dryers that turn on automatically... and doors that open inward so you have to grab the handle with your already-washed hand to get out. *facepalm* Funny how one poor design decision completely invalidates hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, huh?

Just thing about all of the (3)DS systems touch screens out there.... /shutters

So if my cellphone gets stolen again, my mugger can get E. Coli? not bad!

Ergh. This is one of those situations where I'd prefer not to know an interesting piece of research. Just recovered from an ear-infection as well, although that was admittedly on the inside of the tympanic membrane. And I wash my hands without fail.

-wipes down cellphone with a bleach wipe-

The aphids... they're everywhere. I can't clean them off, they just keep coming!

They're in my hair, on my skin, in my lungs. Now they're in my phone too!

-stares at his dog-

-twitch-

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook