Quantum Levitation: The Coolest Science You'll See Today

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Earnest Cavalli:
This whole thread is going to be people rehashing that tired Insane Clown Posse meme, isn't it?

Internet, I hate you so much.

You lost the right to judge criticize things like that when you brought up wizards ;)

Racecarlock:
It's the future, it's coming, be ready.

Personally, I'd say the future already arrived some time ago. I mean really, am I the only one who every now and then sits back, looks at how far technology has progressed even in the last 20 years, and realizes we've been living in most people's conception of the future for a long time now?

It's at times like these where I want to disregard the inaccuracy of the statement and just scream at the top of my lungs

I LIVE IN THE F***ING FUTURE!!!!

I really never expected to see something like that unless it was in a movie or a hoax. The fact that this is legit and has science to back it up makes me giggle like a small child.

>> starts drinking a delicious cup of coffee
>> Logs onto the escapist, and see's this article
>> Watch's video for about 4 seconds
>> entire computer is now saturated with both coffee and my saliva

Realitycrash:

gmaverick019:

Twilight_guy:
My question: If the thing is negative 185 Celsius how does he avoid burning his fingers when he touches it?

i noticed it the second time, if you look closely it is covered by a thin plastic, kind of like what frozen pizza's are covered in, so i believe that is what is preventing him from burning like hell.

OT: saw this video this morning from a friend, good to see it founds its way on here, it is awesome and everytime i watch it i can't help but have a huge geeky smile on my face.

if only they did presentations like these in my area..*sigh*

Fine, but how do they KEEP it at minus 185? Just exposing that thing to room-temperature like they are should heat it up from minus 185 pretty quickly.
Do they have a vat of something that cold near-by, and dip it every now and then? Seems like a hazard.

it isn't my BEST subject, but i do believe that "shit" stays cold for a LONG fucking time, it's so "WTF" that you wouldn't think it is normally possible, but it is (is it liquid nitrogen? i didn't pay attention that closely) in that the disk is giving off such a ridiculously cool temp that the ice around it is a perfect layer around it that it keeps the heat from entering in (at least at a rate you would think would heat it up.)

a semi relative example: ever use dry ice? plenty of people end up buying dry ice by the pounds to use on long trips, because it stays cooler substantially longer than normal ice. hell for fourth of july that shit stayed frozen out in the heat alllllll damn day.

This video made the rounds on Facebook among my more sciency friends just a few hours ago. My mind is still totally fucking blown. Amazing the things they're doing lately.

I distinctly remember seeing demonstrations like this ten years ago. What is new here? Can a friendly boffin please explain how this is any different from a maglev train?

I think they did this so they can say, "$@#% you, Newton."

it's magic i tell magic.
he is a wizard... WE MUST KILL THE WIZARD

It makes me wonder if you could make the disk a bit bigger and have a small bit under it to put the thing that makes it float, could it then just fly off on its own? Leading to amazing flying transport? I think so.

Twilight_guy:
My question: If the thing is negative 185 Celsius how does he avoid burning his fingers when he touches it?

He doesn't touch it for long enough for the cold to penetrate. I've seen scientists do something similar (handling it without gloves) with molten lead, as well.

Sooo... Where's my motherfucking hoverboard?

So... How is this different from all the other super-conductivity materials hovering over magnets? Is it that it gets locked?

Wow I'm learning a simplified concept of this in physics. right hand rule anybody.

Jibblejab:

Sorry I had to

OT: That is brilliant, +10 internets to them. Could it have a use?

Awesome picture.

Also, this most certainly will have a use. We just need to figure out room temperature superconductors first (which to my understanding would be the "splitting the atom" of the modern era), then we'd have repulsorlift tech and all sorts of fun things like that.

octafish:
I distinctly remember seeing demonstrations like this ten years ago. What is new here? Can a friendly boffin please explain how this is any different from a maglev train?

It's different in the fundamental mechanics it uses. Maglev trains use magnetic repulsion to keep things separate. Essentially what they do is take two really powerful magnets, strap one to the bottom of the train and one to the rail, and make sure that the poles towards each other are the same. This generates lift because magnets of like polarity repel.

This video is different because there is no repulsion. The frozen sapphire thing is literally locked in place. It has to do with a property of superconductors, where magnetic flux is rejected within them. The simplest way to explain it is that the magnetic field within a superconductor cannot be changed, it's just not physically possible. Introducing a magnetic field to the thing creates potential flux, so what happens is that the superconductor is locked in place. It literally cannot move against the magnetic field. That's why it's different.

It's hard to explain without diagrams, so let me know if there's questions, but that's the gist of it.

Earnest Cavalli:
"Ad majorem orbis gloriam," the chants will say, and then we'll hear a reading from the Book Of Disk, specifically, Disk's First Letter to the Corinthians.

Very good! Just out of curiosity: Did you have to look it up or can you actually do declensions? (My Latin is horrific, but my Catholicism is better; that's how I managed to figure out what it said but I can't tell if it's declined right.)

Wizards messing with science. They're going to get one angry letter.

Damn superconductors are cool. I want them, but I'd get bored rather fast I believe.

Racecarlock:
So, to recap, we've got:

Quark-gluon plasma: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.286881-Large-Hadron-Collider-Creates-Incredibly-Dense-Primordial-Matter

Commercial Space Travel: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.318341-Did-you-know-space-travel-is-happening

Holding anti-matter for 16 minutes: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.289614-CERN-Scientists-Capture-Antimatter-For-Record-16-Minutes

And now quantum floaty magic. Not to mention computers in our pockets that are voice controlled like in star trek. It's the future, it's coming, be ready. Otherwise you'll miss it. Come on, you guys can't be jaded enough to look at this without any emotion. It's friggin floating! For fucks sake, this is UFO technology.

And they still cant cure cancer or aids.

I love superconductors. If scientists can find a way to mass produce superconductors, and keep them cooled efficiently and effectively, then all science and technology would make a jump that makes the last 20 years look like a night of heavy drinking and sociables.

Jibblejab:

Sorry I had to

OT: That is brilliant, +10 internets to them. Could it have a use?

Yes. If we either learn to do this at room temp. or find a cost efficent way to keep the temp. low we would have a conductor with almost zero resistance.

Cpu46:
It's at times like these where I want to disregard the inaccuracy of the statement and just scream at the top of my lungs

I really never expected to see something like that unless it was in a movie or a hoax. The fact that this is legit and has science to back it up makes me giggle like a small child.

This was me exactly. I just... Guh.
I basically nerd-gasm'd. This is seriously cool stuff (pun not intended).
Seriously.
Just...

see, this is what happens when you get nerds who can use magic.
i'm lookin at you,
she is obviously to blame.

Thumper17:

Racecarlock:
So, to recap, we've got:

Quark-gluon plasma: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.286881-Large-Hadron-Collider-Creates-Incredibly-Dense-Primordial-Matter

Commercial Space Travel: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.318341-Did-you-know-space-travel-is-happening

Holding anti-matter for 16 minutes: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.289614-CERN-Scientists-Capture-Antimatter-For-Record-16-Minutes

And now quantum floaty magic. Not to mention computers in our pockets that are voice controlled like in star trek. It's the future, it's coming, be ready. Otherwise you'll miss it. Come on, you guys can't be jaded enough to look at this without any emotion. It's friggin floating! For fucks sake, this is UFO technology.

And they still cant cure cancer or aids.

They can cure a significant number of cancers and the death rate for most has been drastically lessened. As for AIDS, antiretroviral therapy has turned a certain death sentence into a relatively manageable condition. I know it was just a throwaway comment, but please don't dismiss the incredible work that's been done by scientists in medical research.

On topic: cool.

Agayek:
It's hard to explain without diagrams, so let me know if there's questions, but that's the gist of it.

I have a question. If it "can't" be moved, then why can he just grab it and move it all around? How is the external force from his hand different from, say the force of gravity acting on the disc?

Here's a better youtube video by the group:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOtIsnG71U&NR

Awesome. Just strap a baker's dozen of those suckers to the bottom of my surfboard and it's hover-board time.

Remember, hover-boards don't work on water.

therandombear:

Twilight_guy:

I was thinking that aswell, that should be so cold he gets burned.

OT:....I want this science fully invested in. Put those rails all over the globe and lets us fly around in tilted vehicles...xD

Actually, I was thinking a brand new rail system, fuck you, lets make a railway, THATS IN THE SKY, THAT IS FLOATING, THAT IS CONSTANTLY, THAT IS AWESOME! Or a new, safer, car alternative, all the possibilities.

So... Where can I pre-order this new piece of equipment?

Seriously though, I'm baffled with amazement. Others above me have already mentioned it but we really are in the future. I won't be surprised if in a few years time this technology would be applicable in your everyday toaster; when its done it will shoot the bread up and keep it in place.

TrilbyWill:
snip

And this is why Twilight is best pony.

Earnest Cavalli:

"When I was a disk, I spoke as a disk, I felt as a disk, I thought as a disk," and so on and so on until we get bored and find another inanimate object to worship.

I think it'll go more along the lines of this:

01010111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01110011 01101011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110011 01110000 01101111 01101011 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01110011 01101011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100110 01100101 01101100 01110100 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01110011 01101011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01110011 01101011

summerof2010:
I have a question. If it "can't" be moved, then why can he just grab it and move it all around? How is the external force from his hand different from, say the force of gravity acting on the disc?

It's the amount of force involved. Essentially, the force generated by counteracting the magnetic flux is enough to override gravity, but the force he exerts on the device is greater than the counterforce generated by the flux.

The basic principle is that a conductor, when moved through a magnetic field, experiences what's known as "magnetic flux". Superconductors have a special property that rejects magnetic flux. This property generates counter-forces for anything trying to move it within a magnetic field.

I forget the specifics of the equation, but the counter-force is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field (and therefore the flux). If you can generate more force than the SC can counter, it will then move.

summerof2010:

TrilbyWill:
snip

And this is why Twilight is best pony.

but but but...
what about fluttershy?

So we could have a train that levitates using theses, even if the superconductors are really expensive, there is no friction (besides air) so it could save a ton of energy.

Agayek:
snip

Thanks for explaining that. So if we used this principle to, say, levitate a moving train, the momentum would cause it to fly off the track at the first turn, since the counter-force wouldn't be strong enough to hold it on. Right?

TrilbyWill:
snip

Pssh. That lamo?

Please.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: