Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

After years of speculation, Rockstar sends the first official word that GTAV is on its way.

Update: In what may or may not be a coincidence, careful internet observers noticed that Rockstar's announcement today coincides with the three-year anniversary of Jack Thompson's disbarment in the State of Florida. Thompson won his fame by suing Rockstar for selling "murder simulators" like Bully and GTA to minors, but his behavior in court belittling judges and defendants alike ended in his rights to argue in Florida courts being revoked in 2008. The effective date of Thompson's disbarment? October 25th. Well played, Rockstar.

Original Post: In 2001, Grand Theft Auto III sparked a revolution of open-world games and incited protests from groups saying it romanticized violence. The title catapulted Rockstar Games from a small shop in the U.K. to a worldwide brand. Follow-ups such as Vice City and San Andreas set in different cities sold extremely well, as did the first iteration on 7th generation consoles - GTAIV in 2008. After years of game journalists following parent company Take Two Interactive's shareholder meetings for any hint of a new game, Rockstar's website today shows the first official word of the hotly anticipated sequel.

Yep, just a logo. And a date for when we'll see a glimpse of the first official trailer on November 2nd, 2011. That's all we get, folks.

And yet, it's enough to get my blood pumping. Where will the game be set - back in Rockstar's version of New York Liberty City - or maybe a return to southern California in San Andreas? Personally, I'd love to see a GTA game set in Rockstar founders Dan and Sam Houser's hometown of London, England.

Obviously, we don't have much to go on here other than a new Grand Theft Auto logo. We don't have a release window or even know what platforms such a game will be on. My cash money's on the Wii U, but that's just me. I want to be able to take a cell phone call using that newfangled controller.

"Hey, Cousin!"

Source: Rockstar

Please, no cousins. Please.

I'm actually excited, otherwise. Rockstar should consider picking an entirely untapped locale, like Chicago or Huston.

Greg Tito:
[a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112261-Patent-Documents-Reveal-Wii-U-Controller-Details']newfangled controller.[/a]

Screwed that bit up there =P

Anyway, I hope it goes back to San Andreas style gameplay. GTA 4 was a little too... serious... for my liking.

Which is why I'll be getting Saint's Row 3.

Excellent. I do wonder if it'll be a two year job, but I roll on next week.

Please let there be actual, y'know, fun things to do between missions.

Don't think grand theft auto: London would work to well. Not very many standoffs with the cops would be very challenging since they wouldn't have guns.

Go back to the old ways for five please, GTA 4 is why I own both Saints row games and am Getting the third.

Cousins, taxis to circumvent having to drive, only a tiny fraction of activities and character customization of the old games.

Sure the bank heist was awesome, but overall not to GTA'ee.

Well, GTA is always good, but the logo troubles me.

GTA IV had a great, classy logo. The V logo looks like someone taped the new number to the old logo - it just doesn't fit there.

They'll have to wait a LONG time after Saints Row 3 comes out if they want any of MY money.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Please, no cousins. Please.

Perhaps here, things will be different
Update: Nice one Rockstar :)

Already looking forward to it. :)

I'm just wondering where/when the game will take place. GTA III and IV took place in the early 2000s, Vice City in the 80s and I'm not sure about San Andreas.

Though I'm guessing it'll be set in modern times.

XT inc:
Go back to the old ways for five please, GTA 4 is why I own both Saints row games and am Getting the third.

Cousins, taxis to circumvent having to drive, only a tiny fraction of activities and character customization of the old games.

SomeLameStuff:

Greg Tito:
[a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112261-Patent-Documents-Reveal-Wii-U-Controller-Details']newfangled controller.[/a]

Anyway, I hope it goes back to San Andreas style gameplay. GTA 4 was a little too... serious... for my liking.

Cant there be room in the world for both? I loved Saints Row 2 as much as the next guy (And my only experience with it was the terrible PC port), but GTA IV was one of the best games I've ever played.

I am deeply excited for this trailer, but I wonder if they'll be using the same engine as GTA IV?

And since the font used in the "V" is in the same style used in American currency, is it safe to assume that this one will also take place in America? That's too bad. Personally I'd kind of hoped the next game would be about Packie and wherever he went on that plane with his bag of money. He did mention he wanted to see Ireland. And Australia. Those could be cool settings.

"Personally, I'd love to see a GTA game set in Rockstar founders Dan and Sam Houser's hometown of London, England."

Doubt it; the styling on the V is pretty reminiscent of a five-dollar bill.

OT: As I said in the other thread, assuming they can fix almost every aspect of GTA IV - because it needs it, perfect scores my arse - I'll probably pick it up. Assuming the PC version isn't a fuck up like last time. And isn't 6 months late yet still full price, like last time.

Ah I remember how excited I was when the first GTA4 trailers were coming in. "I have killed people, sold people"

I found Saints Row 2 a glitchy mess whilst I loved GTA, Saints Row 3 might be good though

Doclector:

^This. GTA IV wasn't so bad, it's just that it was so focused on the narrative, everything else was awful. And everything else being quite literally in your cellphone >.<

I'll only be happy when San Andreas gets a sequel. I want to jetpack over Area 51 wearing a pimp outfit and a chaingun. Not that GTA4 wasn't good, but it lacked a lot of the fun things from GTA:SA.

Dear Rockstar,

New GTA? Meh.

When you make a new Red Dead, get back with me.

Sincerely,

This announcement doesn't really do much for me. I was sure they'll make this since they released GTA IV.
I hope they'll bring back some gameplay elements from San Andreas and the artistic style from Vice City.

Why did they feel the need to put "five" over the Roman numeral? Redundant title is redundant, that or they assume people are stupid.

On a different note, no more bullshit with friends and cousins please.

I'm just looking at the logo 'Grand Theft Auto V Five'. Apparently Rockstar believe we have the brainpower of undernourished spinach.

And this had better be a return to mindless fun and not another attempt at realism and man-dates.

EDIT -

Waaghpowa:
Why did they feel the need to put "five" over the Roman numeral? Redundant title is redundant, that or they assume people are stupid.

On a different note, no more bullshit with friends and cousins please.

That's the second time I've been ninja'd in three posts! Will you goddamn ninjas go and pick on someone else?!?

The polish is off the GTA franchise for me, after the disaster that was GTA IV. This definitely won't be a pre-order from me. It will wait until the game is out and I can see if it is going back to it's GTA III roots (in which case I will buy it for sure) or continues the horribleness that was IV (in which case I'll give it a pass and pop in SR3 for another playthrough).

Mcoffey:

XT inc:

SomeLameStuff:

Greg Tito:

Cant there be room in the world for both? I loved Saints Row 2 as much as the next guy (And my only experience with it was the terrible PC port), but GTA IV was one of the best games I've ever played.

I am deeply excited for this trailer, but I wonder if they'll be using the same engine as GTA IV?

And since the font used in the "V" is in the same style used in American currency, is it safe to assume that this one will also take place in America? That's too bad. Personally I'd kind of hoped the next game would be about Packie and wherever he went on that plane with his bag of money. He did mention he wanted to see Ireland. And Australia. Those could be cool settings.

There can be room for both, there was room for both.

The issue is GTA was to The Getaway, what Saints Row is now to GTA.

it used to be an over the top, crazy fun, shenanigans crime game, and then it had to get all serious.

XT inc:

There can be room for both, there was room for both.

The issue is GTA was to The Getaway, what Saints Row is now to GTA.

it used to be an over the top, crazy fun, shenanigans crime game, and then it had to get all serious.

And it also used to be a top-down drag racing game. It changed.

I always figured Rockstar felt they couldn't tell a compelling crime story until the technology evolved a bit. Now it can.

It's still over the top crazy fun, it's just also found a way to tell a fantastic story as well.

LostCrusader:
Don't think grand theft auto: London would work to well. Not very many standoffs with the cops would be very challenging since they wouldn't have guns.

The british policed are armed to the teeth, just when they need to be.

I hope they retain the physics engine but sharpen up vehicle handling. Don't have any other hopes for it thus far though, going to wait to see the trailer first.

Considering that Rockstar has taken a liking to video games with amazingly well-written stories (one presented well, Red Dead Redemption, and one presented fairly terribly, L.A. Noire, thankfully not made by them) I'm looking forward to what they decide to do with this. A more serious story, or more over the top like previous entries?

Im hoping for one set in London, or actually Great Britain in general.

Imagine tearing down houses and streets in a tank in a small village in southern Wales.

Hey maybe it will be like 3 and Vice City and be good. If they do that I will care.

I want to see a return to the 80s, vice city was in my opinion the best gta game.

Doclector:

Yea.
I have to say I too am looking forward to SR3 more than gta5 and it's mostly because of that: Saints Row is now the content packed title with tons of things to do besides running through the main story.

I'm expecting this will be another bare bones game which they'll once again try and use the "gritty story" excuse to leave out some of the more absurd gameplay only to add some more of the craziness later for $20+.

I think I'll probably just wait for whatever goty version they'll eventually release; gta just doesn't do it for me the way it used to. It's just another one of those franchises that was great last gen but has since lost its luster.

At least we'll always have San Andreas.

Didnt think much of the last GTA game as it was boring. To much realism can kill a game. So will wait and see what they do with the next one. Hopefully back to the witty times of Vice City would be awesome.

Looks like it's headed to Washington DC.

For.I.Am.Mad:
Looks like it's headed to Washington DC.

Interesting, I was thinking Vegas but I can definitely see the D.C. vibe from it.

As long as its like Vice City I wont be mad, my teachers will be for lack of turned in homework, but I wont be.

My vote goes to Vice City. That way we lose the brown gritty coffee filter that we viewed GTA 4. Because theres no way the map designers would let brown into a white-towered sunny resort city.

I haven't even finished GTA IV yet. (It's literally sitting in my drive as I write this.) IV seems to suffer from a degree of feature bloat; it kept adding things and never considered giving the player the option of saying "Look, enough already! I never want to go bowling again! I know you put way too much time into your cut scenes, but I can't be assed to go back to the theater! I don't want to have to screw with my cell phone in the middle of traffic, and I don't even remember how to use the stupid subway three missions later!"

It also seems to have the problem that afflicted many of the GTAs: for all the "you can do whatever you want" chrome, you can't escape the stupidities inherent to the central plotline. You can never say, "You know, I think I have enough money that I can stop running missions for pocket change for psychotics who want me dead, sometimes at cross purposes with earlier missions from other psychotics who are even more likely to want me dead because I've just effectively and unknowingly double-crossed them by blindly accepting this mission."

Cousin! It's Niko. Here, do me a favor: take this $10,000, get the fuck out of town, and don't call me until I call you.

Vegas is usually represented by neon lights and poker chips. The 'V' is something you would see on a dollar bill.

Looks familiar? Silver certificate from 1899. Surely it means nothing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here