Richard Garriott Gets Richer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Richard Garriott Gets Richer

Richard Garriott is $32 million richer thanks to an appeals court victory in his contract dispute with NCsoft.

Richard Garriott's stint at NCsoft was not without its bumps. Despite launching to great fanfare in 2007, his Tabula Rasa MMO went nowhere; a year later, Garriott went into space, came back and immediately announced his retirement from NCsoft, shortly after which the hammer fell on Tabula Rasa. It looked like NCsoft had done the famed developer the service of allowing him to move on before killing his pet project; until May 2009, that is, when Garriott sued NCsoft, claiming that he'd actually been forced out.

Garriott notched up a "W" against the publisher last June, winning a $28 million award after a federal court ruled that NCsoft had "deprived Garriott of profits on his stock options by mis-categorizing his exit." NCsoft, not surprisingly, appealed the ruling, but it might now be wishing that it had just left well enough alone.

A three-judge panel from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld the ruling and tacked on interest and attorney's fees that have accumulated during the trial, jacking the original award of $28 million all the way up to $32 million.

"NCSoft schemed to avoid its obligations to [Garriott] at the trial court and on appeal, and neither the jury nor the 5th Circuit bought any of it," Garriott's lead counsel Stephen E. Fox said. "Contracts have consequences, and as the Court of Appeals explained, the trial court is not a trial run."

Garriott's is currently focusing his talents on Portalarium, a social gaming company that's developed poker and blackjack games for Facebook. He's also selling his house.

Source: Gamasutra

On the one hand, I'm all for cheating corporations getting taken down a peg
On the other hand, Why did it have to be Garriott?

$5 million in attorney's fees and interest. I suddenly want to be an American lawyer.

I thought you were going to say he sold his house.

Oh well. I wasnt aware of this legal battle, so I dont have a strong opinion, but I guess its good he won. just reading this, he seems like he should have.

Hey, remember when Richard Garriot created excellent games that challenged our minds, confronted us with our very own values and questioned the very moral fabric of our society?

Yeah...I do too...

That almost sounds like enough to start making Ultima 10. Come on Lord British, the world needs more Ultima.

That's a sweet hat.

EverythingIncredible:
Hey, remember when Richard Garriot created excellent games that challenged our minds, confronted us with our very own values and questioned the very moral fabric of our society?

Yeah...I do too...

Or how bout this...something that was fun.

Well if the money has to go to someone im glad it is going to Lord British.

EverythingIncredible:

Yeah...I do too...

That was about thirty years ago, right?

While I believe he is batshit crazy I think I would be doing the same thing once I had success with an videogame. Call myself Lord British, dress like an akwardly challenged cosplayer and fly into space. Pretty awesome, still crazy.
So let's see if he is constructing a new house on the moon now, because that is what I would do with the money.

EverythingIncredible:

Yeah...I do too...

Remember when Richard Garriot actually made... anything. He just seems to attach his names to projects these days. And not particularly good projects.

"Garriott's is currently focusing his talents on Portalarium, a social gaming company that's developed poker and blackjack games for Facebook." Ahhh right so he has joined the likes of John Romero in the halls of anachronistic[1] games dsigners, put out to pasture in the slow lane of facebook drivel. I hate to sound snooty but a poker add-on for facebook is not exactly what i would call the cutteng edge of game design.

Sometimes our gaming heroes just wash up.

[1]
anachronism

noun

1. something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, especially a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time: "The sword is an anachronism in modern warfare."

Scrumpmonkey:

EverythingIncredible:

Yeah...I do too...

Remember when Richard Garriot actually made... anything. He just seems to attach his names to projects these days. And not particularly good projects.

"Garriott's is currently focusing his talents on Portalarium, a social gaming company that's developed poker and blackjack games for Facebook." Ahhh right so he has joined the likes of John Romero in the halls of anachronistic games dsigners, put out to pasture in the slow lane of facebook drivel. I hate to sound snooty but a poker add-on for facebook is not exactly what i would call the cutteng edge of game design.

It's not even like the times moved on without him. We could use MORE games that feature stories as deep and complex as Ultima. But he seems to choose not to make them anymore.

Scrumpmonkey:

EverythingIncredible:

Yeah...I do too...

"Garriott's is currently focusing his talents on Portalarium, a social gaming company that's developed poker and blackjack games for Facebook." Ahhh right so he has joined the likes of John Romero in the halls of anachronistic[1] games dsigners, put out to pasture in the slow lane of facebook drivel. I hate to sound snooty but a poker add-on for facebook is not exactly what i would call the cutteng edge of game design.

Remember when a person wasnt obligated to continuously churn out AAA games because he did a few marvelous ones once?

On all seriousness, im kinda sick of people always talking about him in that way. he did the ultima games for a while. he stopped. leave him be. just because you want a ultima, doesnt mean he has to go out of his way to make one. if a man doesnt wanna do sth, who are you to judge him on that? a game developer doesnt have to develop games all the time of his life until hes dead. i want more Ultima too, but im not gonna be snooty and cynical towards Lord British for not delivering it.

[1]
anachronism

noun

1. something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, especially a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time: "The sword is an anachronism in modern warfare."

Right new Ultima game chap. Let's go, chop chop.

On one hand, barring particular insight into what actually happened between NCSoft and Garriott, I kind of have to assume the judges ruled rightly (twice). And I certainly have a soft spot for ol' Lord British.

But on the other hand, NCSoft is continuing to make games- good games, in at least some cases- and Garriott is apparently working on, or at least lending his name to, Facebook poker and blackjack, something I suspect we need about as much as a nasty case of syphilis.

So... Howza 'bout keeping the next house down to a modest $2 mil or so, LB, and putting some of that cash back into making games that are worth playing?

EverythingIncredible:

Scrumpmonkey:

EverythingIncredible:

Yeah...I do too...

"Garriott's is currently focusing his talents on Portalarium, a social gaming company that's developed poker and blackjack games for Facebook." Ahhh right so he has joined the likes of John Romero in the halls of anachronistic games dsigners, put out to pasture in the slow lane of facebook drivel. I hate to sound snooty but a poker add-on for facebook is not exactly what i would call the cutteng edge of game design.

It's not even like the times moved on without him. We could use MORE games that feature stories as deep and complex as Ultima. But he seems to choose not to make them anymore.

There are plently of people who time has moved on around who we are perfectly happy to accept, he just isn't relevant anymore not because of what he makes, but because of what he dosen't. Same story with ID and most of its former members, they simply failed to deliver anything for decades yet are still recognisable names.

What the hell is he wearing? He looks like a Star Trek Ninja Sailor.

DVS BSTrD:
On the one hand, I'm all for cheating corporations getting taken down a peg
On the other hand, Why did it have to be Garriott?

Because he is Lord British. He went to Space.

OT: I loved Tabula Rasa, and I was a bit more than pissed when it got shut down yet shitty games like Dungeon Runners was able to continue for a while longer.

Even more so when NCsoft decided that they were going to focus on more widely available games, then did a heel turn and said they were going to focus on more big budget games.

Fuck NCSoft, they should of had to pay more.

Now the stage is set Ultima X, with skyrim level graphics and Ultima 4,5,6,7, and serpant Isle level story telling. or remake 4 and 5 with an HD overhaul.

THEJORRRG:

It's his "General British" outfit. Just google it or something, the mans crazy.

(Or is is Lord British? Can't remember :/)

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

THEJORRRG:

It's his "General British" outfit. Just google it or something, the mans crazy.

(Or is is Lord British? Can't remember :/)

It's Lord British and I know he's insane but....he looks like a space concubine.

DRTJR:
Now the stage is set Ultima X, with skyrim level graphics and Ultima 4,5,6,7, and serpant Isle level story telling. or remake 4 and 5 with an HD overhaul.

Or maybe not, because he sold the right to the series with EA a long time ago.

THEJORRRG:

I recognize the symbol, it was part of Tabula Rasa. I believe it to be a military officer's uniform.

Scrumpmonkey:
*LOTS OF SNIPPING*
"Garriott's is currently ... joined the likes of John Romero...

Think about how good that combination could be. Garriott on story, and Romero on visuals.

That has potential.

EverythingIncredible:

Yeah...I do too...

To quote Neil Young: "It's better to burn out, then fade away."

It just happens over time, the old generation of developers loses its way. I mean, remember back when Peter Molyneux came up with crazy awesome, if a little flawed, games? Not anymore.

Damnit Garriot get back to making some good games. Like maybe an RPG or two?

And you look like a games workshop loving goof in that outfit I'm sorry to say

So THAT's how he funds his pimp-mansions.

Well, I like his outfit. It's pretty cool.

Baldr:

DRTJR:

Or maybe not, because he sold the right to the series with EA a long time ago.

Don't brinkg your reality into my fantasies

OH FUCK YOU GARRIOT!
You bastard, you probably just delayed Guild Wars 2 a week, ya ass.

Erm... is Garriot a Bond Villain?

Because he sure seems like one of lately.

Garriot is one mad bastard. How is he so damn rich, anyway? He sold a couple of well received games over a decade ago, and he's probably the richest (or at least most eccentric) person in the video game industry.

vxicepickxv:

Scrumpmonkey:
*LOTS OF SNIPPING*
"Garriott's is currently ... joined the likes of John Romero...

Think about how good that combination could be. Garriott on story, and Romero on visuals.

That has potential.

Then let us party like its 1996 :P

I only played a bit of ultima 7 but I thought the series peaked at 5. The whole shadowlords/blackthorn thing was just awesome. That was truly an "open world" game where you had no sidequests. Just a huge expansive world to explore and a variety of tasks to complete in any order you wanted to complete an epic mission.

Anyone remember the scene where if you got captured by blackthorn he would permanently kill a party member? That kind of emotion displayed in 8 bit graphics is something you just don't get nowadays.

NCsoft are a pretty nasty company when it comes to things like this. Maybe they'll think twice next time.

EverythingIncredible:

Ultima
Deep. . .
Complex. . .

I dont think we played the same series of games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here