Israeli Court Says No Consoles For Prisoners

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Israeli Court Says No Consoles For Prisoners

A Tel Aviv judge has denied an Israeli prisoner's request for a game console in his cell because there's no reliable way to disable the unit's WiFi.

A prisoner serving a sentence of 16 years in an Israeli jail filed a petition to have an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 installed in his cell. Prisoners in the past were allowed to buy PS1 systems, he said, so he wanted an up-to-date rig for himself that would be "neutralized" to prevent any possibility of connecting to a wireless network. But the Israeli Prison Service opposed the idea, based on a "professional opinion" that "there are communication channels which cannot be blocked."

A Tel Aviv District Court sided with the prison service last month, denying the prisoner's application based on the IPS opinion that wireless adapters in current-gen hardware cannot be reliably disabled. "The problem is that the IPS opinion indicates that this action of disabling the internet connection device is completely impossible," the court ruled. Because the risk to prison security outweighs the benefits to prisoners [and, presumably, stressed-out prison staff], the petition was denied.

It's interesting, however, that the court did seem to note the value of having game consoles accessible to prisoners, saying [in a roughly Google-translated statement] that they are "part of the delicate management of the prisoner population." I don't know how the Israeli prison system works but the country is located right in the middle of a pretty rough neighborhood, so I would think they'd know a thing or two about keeping a lid on an unruly crowd. Lessons for the rest of the world, perhaps?

Source: law.co.il, via Slashdot

What was he in jail for?

Or, y'know, prisoners could go without consoles altogether, and actually be punished for whatever crime they committed.

What the hell? The dude is in JAIL and he gets to sit around playing video games? Muther f'er can have a dictionary and scrabble board maybe and only if they're donated to boot.

Thyunda:
Or, y'know, prisoners could go without consoles altogether, and actually be punished for whatever crime they committed.

Lol yeah,those "prisnors" get to go to college,watch TV for,have free food,private leesons,and alot of other benifets that they get off our money,hell if it was up to me i would just lock them in a box. Also They shouldn't have consoles in jail to begin with,they need to rot in jail not have fun.

Why would i want to get a prema ban for a "off-topic" post,i just put it in this post because one more warning and i get banned,i don't want to take risks.also "laughing at my intelligence" i just misspelled oh i'm gonna get crucified just for misspelling,a misspell is nothing than a human mistake.

Surely they could get a Gen I Xbox360, which doesn't have an in built wireless, making disabling the wifi quite simple...

Also, as a presponse to the pile of "don't give prisoners game consoles" comments, if giving them a game console cuts down on prison riots, wouldn't it be better to go with that?

So much for some one smuggling in "Prison Break" the video game.

yuval152:

Thyunda:

Lol yeah,those "prisnors" get to go to college,watch TV for,have free food,private leesons,and alot of other benifets that they get off our money,hell if it was up to me i would just lock them in a box. Also They shouldn't have consoles in jail to begin with,they need to rot in jail not have fun.

I understand that we're on the Internet, but you could totally use some of these "private leesons" and actually benefit from "benifets" they might provide.

Considering they were allowed PSOnes in the past, this seems a bit ridiculous. How's this, pop open the console and manually remove the Wi-Fi chip. Call up Sony or Microsoft or whatever, and considering the circumstances, they would likely tell you exactly where to look. If it bricks the console, well that seems really stupid.

Since prisoners in the past were allowed to have consoles, prisoners in the present should be allowed to have consoles. Morally, or legally, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

I'm sorry what? Are you telling me I can go to jail down in Israel, which would;
-house me
-feed me
-let me play games[1]
And I should work because???

[1] And I thought the swedish prisons was to nice to their criminals ._.

If its a similar system to the UK, i'd assume he would be paying for it himself, its just the request to get it in that counts. Also i do recall the same thing happening in Britain too, some guy wanted a PS3 but they couldnt guarantee it was cut off.

Which begs the question, why dont they get the guy an Older model Xbox360 then, those dont have wi-fi, caused me a bit of problems in the past because of that.

BlackWidower:
Considering they were allowed PSOnes in the past, this seems a bit ridiculous. How's this, pop open the console and manually remove the Wi-Fi chip. Call up Sony or Microsoft or whatever, and considering the circumstances, they would likely tell you exactly where to look. If it bricks the console, well that seems really stupid.

Sony and Microsoft both have branches in Israel too, how convenient!

Seeing the effects of violent video games on the prison inmates would make for an interesting study (if it hasn't been done already).

yuval152:

Thyunda:

ZeppMan217:

yuval152:

I understand that we're on the Internet, but you could totally use some of these "private leesons" and actually benefit from "benifets" they might provide.

Misspeled few words Hahaha Hilarious /Sarcasm misspelling a few words in english is horrible because my main language is hebrew, If you don't have anything meanful to post then don't spam.

Welcome to an internet forum.
On internet forums, we reply to comments with other comments. Modifying your first post with your response to a person's comment in regards to your first post, is really irritating and doesn't help your defence, when they are attacking your intelligence.

Oh, and I agree with Thyunda.
You'd think Israel, a country that doesn't really fuck around, would be more restricting to prisoners.
If I could get a console in a prison cell, what the fuck am I doing with my life?! I need to go kill someone asap.

I assume these are minimum security prisons?

fnartilter:

BlackWidower:

Sony and Microsoft both have branches in Israel too, how convenient!

Seeing the effects of violent video games on the prison inmates would make for an interesting study (if it hasn't been done already).

It might have, because as I said, they already had PSOnes in prison. Though Spyro 2 isn't exactly what one would call "violent." But if there was a study it probably wasn't publicized by the media because the result was not: "Video games kill people!" Which would get people freaking out.

if their that worried about the prison's security, why not simply avoid connecting the consoles to the internet? what do they mean there's no reliable way ro keep consoles from being connected to Wifi?

I've had a 360 for years, and I've never been able to connect it to Xbox LIVE because I don't have the needed equipment for it.

BlackWidower:

Since prisoners in the past were allowed to have consoles, prisoners in the present should be allowed to have consoles. Morally, or legally, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

We used to do/not do a lot of stuff in the past, doesn't mean we should do it. He IS a prisoner, and that should be a pretty good reason enough for him not having one. He's supposed to be being punished for his crimes, not having a laugh playing xbox.

Following your logic, there's no reason for him not to have a comfy sofa and a king size bed, but we don't give them to him because he's a prisoner.

Interesting, is there really no way to disable the WiFi completely? Huh.

Anyway, the pressing issue is really, should prisoners get Xboxes in the first place? To which I say yes. As the article mentions, they are useful for controlling the prison population, which is quite a task when it is solely made up of bored criminals, many without a lot to lose.

Also, no matter how comfy you make prison, it's still a punishment. Why? Because you take away the prisoner's liberty, which is just below taking away their life on the scale of punishment. We take our liberty for granted, but it really is a fundamental right, and we cannot underestimate how difficult it can be to live without it. Moreso, I'm personally of the opinion that the goals of prison should be ranked in this order of importance:

1) Rehabilitation
2) Protecting the public
3) Punishment

Number 2 is accomplished as long as the guy is in prison, Xbox or not. I'd say the Xbox probably helps Number 1, because while we don't want prison to be lovely, making it fucking awful is not a good method of rehabilitation. Pro tip: If you want your prisoners not to commit crime, making them despise the jail, justice system and the state is not a good way to go about it.

elvor0:

BlackWidower:

We used to do/not do a lot of stuff in the past, doesn't mean we should do it. He IS a prisoner, and that should be a pretty good reason enough for him not having one. He's supposed to be being punished for his crimes, not having a laugh playing xbox.

Following your logic, there's no reason for him not to have a comfy sofa and a king size bed, but we don't give them to him because he's a prisoner.

Punish? Do you even know what he did? Does it even matter? I guess it's just my lack of bloodlust, but I don't think prisons exist to "punish." I think prisons exist to stop them from hurting other people.

Plus, they are already being punished for the deed, whatever it is. They spend the majority of their time in a four by six foot cell, and any time they don't spend in the cell, they spend surrounded by people who would kill them so much as look at them. So, I think they are punished enough. If they would like a video game console to bring a shimmer of light to their dreary existence so they won't kill themselves, then I'm okay with it.

Besides, how is a video game any more of "a laugh" then a chess board, or a deck of cards, or a novel, or a TV. Which (last I checked) are all things they allow in prisons. Their lives suck enough. All they're asking for is something to make their lives suck a little bit less.

Well, I guess Sony and Microsoft will have to come up with PS3 and Xbox 360 Convict Edition!

As a citizen of this cursed country, I'd like to correct something.
The prisoner is in separation so the prison service decided, with the help of professional opinion that it can't be completely disconnected from any communication method.
Also, they say that actually blocking what they can of the communication, which requires to disassemble every console to the smallest part is highly inefficient, time consuming and doesn't reward well enough for the trouble.

You know, I might just kill a person if they let me have my ps2 in jail. From unemployed to self sustaining. Kinda.

Those evil Israeli's wouldn't let a prisoner have a games console? Le horror!

Ironically enough, Kinect was developed using technology created by an Israeli company, PrimeSense. Apparantly, they pretty much developed it, then Microsoft took it and marketed it as a Microsoft product.

Those damn Israelis, providing us with innovative 3D camera technology, banning prisoners from having videogame consoles.

Must.. Not.. Jokingly mock Jews and say they are evil and stuff...

Thank goodness for common sense.

Though, I can't see why they needed a WiFi excuse.

People are looking at this the wrong way. When you have thousands of prisoners in a single place, the best thing you can do is pacify them in some way. I know it seems like a fun idea, but if you have a prison full of deviants, the best way to keep them pacified is not beating them. Also, you have rights as a prisoner still, you just aren't allowed to come and go as you please and you have to get everything okayed. Also, he would have (probably, not sure how the prison system works) payed for it himself. If he can raise the money, why not let him have it. Even though the Wifi thing is a good excuse.

I get the idea that a prison is supposed to be rehabilitating, but still, it's prison, there has to be a line between rehabilitation and punishment. I draw that line long before a $300 entertainment system.

Damn straight; they're prisoners. You're not supposed to make prison appealing

Dutch 924:
Damn straight; they're prisoners. You're not supposed to make prison appealing

Prisons are for rehabilitation, not for 'satisfying the victims lust for revenge' Rehabilitation generally means making people better and more fit for soceity. Making them insane and institutionalize them will generally only serve to make their prison sentence, into a prolonged death sentence. Consoles make it easier to control prisoners aka fewer guards are needed. It is also a way to vent anger, which means fewer prisoners has to pass time by lifting weights and becomming buffed so that they can get into prison again once they get out. And its generally easier than reading a book, which many non-schooled prisoners have a hard time doing. On top of that, as arguement of console players. Consoles arent that expensive, and offline Xbox with its normal games library. If shared between several prisoners, is not more expensive than a couple of movies or a box of old books.

Now this might just be my country and the reason America (Now mind you this is Israel and you are in the UK. But Israel got theirs from the US. And they got theirs from the old UK, so its the same thing with the same public opinion) has 400/100.000 of their population in prison is because it 'is' for revenge instead of rehabilitation and in that case, forgive me for being uninformed. But as far as I know. Prisons objective is not to serve as the peoples punishment center. But rather an advanced reschooling. Behind locked doors and walls.

That is to those serving lighter sentences though, like say. Going in on drug possesion or theft. I agree that no consoles shall be given to murderers. And thats usually because they are beyond rehabilitation so they arent worth it.

Honestly. If I where in jail I think a PS3 would be fucking sweet. something to keep me busy in between shower sodomy and beatings.
Besides,I don't think too many prisons have wi-fi hotspots.

why was this even an ISSUE??? prisoners, are, PRISONERS! they gave UP the rights to entertainment when they committed a CRIME! they should NOT get TV, Games, and all that... if it were up to ME, they wouldn't even get a LIBRARY. they'd get food (and not good food... just what's needed to live) water (lukewarm), a bed (of shitty quality) and a cell (with not much room, and the necessary toilet and all) NO ENTERTAINMENT. their only activity outside their cell would be the "recess" every day. otherwise they'd have to MAKE their own activities inside cells. like... origami... writing... conversing with your cellmate... working out (apparently very big in prisons)... and THAT'S IT! FUCK CABLE, FUCK RADIO, FUCK GAMES! they're PRISONERS! they deserve NONE of that!

Welcome to civilization people, where even the scum of earth deserves decency and respect.

And honestly I agree, they go to prison to come out better. Not to rot away.

Hell, if they want entertainment, they already have access to books, older video games and TV, right? Sounds like they get more than enough already to me. I subsisted on less in the military.

kebab4you:
I'm sorry what? Are you telling me I can go to jail down in Israel, which would;
-house me
-feed me
-let me play games[1]
And I should work because???

Well, you could end up in a situation where you are playing mariokart against a powerful mob boss who could have you killed if you anger him...but he doesn't understand the controls and is constantly driving of the map.
also the lack of freedom, the lack of any good games (if there were any good games you would have to "endear" yourself with the the people hoarding them) and the fact that you are basically the very definition of a leech.

OT: So the fact is that prison guards and society in general is in danger due to strong criminals causing riots in prison. There is a way to reduce this risk but the general opinion here seems to be that "why should they have fun? let them wallow in their filth and cry all day because that is how we treat people we think are bad!"

Here in Sweden (quick quote, "Sweden has one of the greatest prison systems in the world") we mostly focus on making criminals healthy, law-abiding members of society rather than just punishing them for what they have done. if your horse doesn't win the race, do you feed it less to make sure that it doesn't lose again while teaching the other horses to win or do you feed it and train it more so it will win the net race?

[1] And I thought the swedish prisons was to nice to their criminals ._.

First: PRISONS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE NONSTOP TORTURE. Prisoners are supposed to be *rehabilitated* in prisons. Making prison harsher breeds harsher inmates, not rehabilitated ones. And a video game is a great carrot for the carrot and stick part of keeping order - misbehave and your video games get taken away.

Second: There's no good way to disable the inbuilt Wifi in PS3, Wii or Xbox 360, and using that inbuilt wifi they could connect to, say, a phone in the parking lot of the prison, thus allowing unmonitored outside communications.

Or it could be, you know, a pre-S 360 or a 20GB I believe it was, PS3. Neither had Wi-Fi. The 360 needed a part for it to be Wi-Fi enabled. :L

Or just open up the PS3 and disconnect the Wi-Fi card. :L

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or