French Armed Robbers Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

French Armed Robbers Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3

Some people really want to get their hands on the new Call of Duty early.

Gangs of armed robbers have hijacked two trucks this weekend, and made off with thousands of copies of the latest Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare 3. The attacks took place near Paris and the stolen goods have a total value of more than three quarters of a million euros

In the first attack the thieves used a car to block the road the truck was taking, causing it to crash. The drivers then apparently got out to "make a report," at which point they were attacked with tear gas. While the drivers were incapacitated, the masked men stole the truck, which was thought to contain around 6,000 copies of the game. A second truck, bound for a store in the Yvelines district was attacked by a trio of thieves, who threatened the drivers with weapons, and again made off with the vehicle.

It's not known what happened to the copies of the game, although it's not hard to imagine them being sold on to hordes of excitable Call of Duty fans eager to get their hands on the game a few days early. After all, someone already paid over $1700 for an early copy of the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were plenty more where he or she came from.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Ultimate PS3 via Eurogamer

"alright, we've got guns, get away cars, and tear gas. are we going to rob a bank?"
"hell no, I just don't wanna pay 60 bucks for Modern Warfare."

Good Gods, are we going to have the need of unmarked trucks and defensive convoys now?

Ah, well i guess this is a point towards why digital downloads are better ;P

Why'd I get an image in my head of Bobby Kotick poking his head out of a swimming pool full of cash going "I could have used that to top this up :("?

In all seriousness, this brought a smile to my face, I needed something to laugh at. Time for shady scenes which almost look like drug deals...but are in fact MW3.

3/4 of a million in anything isn't bad, though one wonders how easy they'd be to shift.

Of course, it is possible they attacked the wrong truck, and are a bit disappointed with what they got.

I wonder how easy it is to get tear gas in France?

Should be easy to find them, just look for all the copies of MW that smell of garlic.

JOKE.

Geez, how expensive are videogames in France!? Even at €60 per game (the max in Ireland) that doesn't add up....

How the hell do they expect to sell 6000 copies without catching anyones attention?

The conspiracy nut in me wants to say that it was actually Activision who stole them.. But WHY?!

bet activision still use the stolen copies in the final release figures lol

And the way they will be caught is they will earn a trophy/achievement slightly early.

Look on the bright side! There didn't (stole) a reused one!

I must say I wasn't expecting the French to be the first ones to execute piratism with some balls.

Wow the Fast and Furous writers must have really been out of ideas.

Well, there have been robberies on toy stroes where they only took Ferbies, so this doesn't really surprise me. In just under 18 hours at the time of writing, the world will be dissapointed by a another Modern Warfare which is too short.

Sieggy:
Look on the bright side! There didn't (stole) a reused one!

Heh, that's a point.

Anyone else find it odd that the article linked to says the games would be worth 0.4, not 0.75 million, or have I missed something?

What puzzles me more is that guy who payed $1700 for the early copy. Who is he planning to play against? There's probably about 3 people who own that game at the moment.

Is the 750,000 retail? If both trucks had 6000 copies retailing at €60 a piece it would still only be €720,000. But isn't the real value of the theft just the cost of manufacture on those 12,000 units? Which I doubt is much at all.

I suppose 3/4 of a million sounds a lot better than, we need to add 12,000 more onto the next batch of 100,000's of thousands to print.

You know what?

If this turns out to be a Publicity Stunt my hat will be off to COD because that is a great damn move.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it said "French Armed Robots Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3." That would have been much cooler.

Perhaps CoD is trying to prove its tough?
Since no one in anyway seems impressed with the new MW3 "No Russian" controversy level...

Then again this might backfire and land some people in prison...

What if this is Activision's response to EA's retarded marketing schemes.

"Remember, no French"
Look guys just because One idiot pays $1,700 for the game online doesn't mean that's the market price!
At least, I sincerely hope it isn't

The_root_of_all_evil:
Should be easy to find them, just look for all the copies of MW that smell of garlic.

JOKE.

So you think the thieves were actually Italians?
ALSO JOKE!

The game company has the means to hurt those who bought the game early, just like they did to piratical players of MW2. Ban them in swarms. Wouldn't it suck to get this game early, plug it in, turn it on, and then get banned the day before release.

At least someone wants to play the game

Otterby:
I must say I wasn't expecting the French to be the first ones to execute piratism with some balls.

Mother fuckers ran this world before the world wars. But then they went all peace loving and we dubbed them cowards, weaklings, and pansies. Want balls? stand up to panzer divisions with nothing but bolt action rifles.

silverbullet1989:
bet activision still use the stolen copies in the final release figures lol

Ninja'd. Hopefully they don't take the sales the thieves make as the new market price.

Soviet Heavy:
What if this is Activision's response to EA's retarded marketing schemes.

Not sure i can doubt it but it seems more of an EA move. Unless EA is behind this and it is a VERY stupid marketing scheme.

Logan Westbrook:
the stolen goods have a total value of more than three quarters of a million euros

We're still talking about CoD right?

I didn't know there was a french robbery section in MW3 kickass. Wait this really happen? Oh them crazy kids.

AnarchistFish:

Logan Westbrook:
the stolen goods have a total value of more than three quarters of a million euros

We're still talking about CoD right?

I'm assuming the cost of the trucks is included as well, but the bulk of that figure is probably taken up by the games.

ciancon:
Geez, how expensive are videogames in France!? Even at €60 per game (the max in Ireland) that doesn't add up....

Here in France it's 70 euros :/ More expensive and with crappy dubbings (seriously, french dubbing is always horrible), yay us.

why don't they make a video game out of these guys and their antics? it could be an action comedy!
they go around and try and rob banks but end up robbing completely different shit!
...be better than COD.....

Mirror Cage:
What puzzles me more is that guy who payed $1700 for the early copy. Who is he planning to play against? There's probably about 3 people who own that game at the moment.

I like how you assume he got it for the multiplayer and not the singleplayer which is about 10 times better. Wouldn't blame the guy. I'm interested in how the story continues too. And what happened to the characters from MW2.

OT: You'd think they'd rob a bank or something with equipment like that.

Sounds like an EA marketing ploy for Battlefield 3. We'll know for sure when the first set of DLC missions includes one where you have to hijack a truck full of mind-control devices that target 8 year olds. Set in France.

I can imagine that most of the games will end up on eBay in hopes of getting even close to the $1700 as reported earlier in the week. Although it strikes me as strange that someone would know which truck happened to be carrying copies of MW3. Either it's an inside job or the thieves just wanted whatever was in the first truck they found. Imagine if they stole hundreds of boxes of tampons. They could hold the world to ransom, threatening to dry up the oceans unless they get a free copy of MW3 each.

Gamblerjoe:
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it said "French Armed Robots Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3." That would have been much cooler.

I read the exact same thing!

I'm quite disappointed right now =/

Didn't this happen with COD Blops too? Seriously... Why would you even steal this game. I haven't played it so I'm not going to judge. Can't you just be satisfied with playing COD Blops?

It's another realistic shooter (the biggest judgment I'll make) There are several hundred variations now, why not just be happy with one of those...

That was directed to the people who wait on launch day for this software, not the robbers themselves... I actually applaud them for exploiting the gamer market because it's just a smaller scale of what Activision is doing...

Sucks to be French with a pre-order on MW3. I wonder if the retailers will end up putting up the price even more now. Every CoD game is already more expensive than any other game, now it's just going to be extortionately priced.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here