PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3

PETA is officially unhappy with Battlefield 3 because of a callous, brutal and utterly inhumane sequence of rat-stabbing.

Pop quiz, hotshot: how many rats have you snuffed in all your videogaming adventures? If you answered less than "about a bazillion," you're a dirty liar and we can't be friends anymore. Because we all know that when it comes to laying the cheap XP beatdown on filthy creatures that nobody cares about, it's Rats Uber Alles, baby. But that doesn't sit well with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Germany, which issued a statement today criticizing the game for allowing players to stab a rat with a combat knife and then toss its carcass away like... well, like a dead rat.

"[Battlefield 3] gives players the option of [stabbing] a rat with a combat knife in the back and then lifting it by the tail, then casting [the dead body] aside like trash," the organization said in a Google-translated statement.

"There have been repeated cases in Germany of animal cruelty, where young people kill animals in cruel ways," it continued, drawing a "science says" connection between videogames and bad behavior in the real world. "Inspiration for these acts they received in the past, often by violent movies and computer games."

It's a bit silly, given that rats have been the go-to punching bag for gamers pretty much since the dawn of time, but this isn't PETA's first foray into videogame criticism. Super Meat Boy, Cooking Mama and Madden NFL 12 have all come under fire in the past and in March 2009 the group leveled very similar criticism at Activision's Call of Duty: World at War for allowing players to shoot German attack dogs.

Battlefield 3 publisher Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the PETA criticism, and is not expected to.

via: Battlefield 3 Blog

Let me go stab a few more rats. While I am it, let me slay a dragon in Dark Souls. Take that PETA!

Is this relevant?

Meh I'm posting it anyway.

I... uh... right.... ok.

Is this really the best use of anyones time? Unless I play BF3 then have the sudden urge to go murder lots of rats for giggles I think the poor rats are going to be fine PETA.

Andy Chalk:
Battlefield 3 publisher Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the PETA criticism, and is not expected to.

If I was an EA employee, I wouldn't comment either, I'd be too busy laughing. Hell, I'm not an EA employee and I'm too busy laughing!

Stab a Rat? PETA RRRRRRRAGE

Shoot thousands of other people in multiplayer? s'cool.

I honestly don't really knbow why PeTA even bother any more. Most people seem to know that they make up an awful lot of information anyway.

OT: I remember when WaW came out, and they got angry that you could break the dogs necks. Someone made a very valid point

"Let's put them in a situation where an attack dog is after them. If they can survive without killing the dog, then they win."

They never got angry at Max Payne

I suppose the rats in it had deagles though...

Not a fan of BF3 to be honest but peta can go jump off a cliff There no better than terrorists in my book

You know we gas, poison, trap and suffocate literally millions of rats every year jsut so that they don't completely overrun the place? Rats used to be a huge problem for every city until they had dedicated pest control agencies to constantly keep the rat population at near extinction levels yet if they ever stop... population of rats explodes.

PS: Modern Warfare 3... aren't they strapping bombs to dogs? And PETA objects to rat stabbing?!?! Damn Peta, you crazy!

Killing thousands of humans is fine. But killing one rat? YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR!

So wait a moment, they are complaining about the inhumane treatment of the rat but not the countless humans who must presumably die just as violent deaths in the game?

AND NOT A SINGLE SH*T WAS GIVEN.
Damnit PETA, when will you finally learn that no one takes you seriously anymore!

anthony87:
Is this relevant?

Steve Hughes is always worth quoting.

You....idiots.

If you've not played that set piece, you are given the option of stabbing a rat or getting gunned down like a rat.

That's not cruelty. That's survival.

I'll say again; you idiots.

Why don't they get mad at a timid, kid friendly game like Nintendogs, where you can throw objects at and beat your dog with a stylus?!

anthony87:
Is this relevant?

*clip snip*

Hadn't seen that, pretty much sums it up.

On Topic: PETA being PETA, they have been discredited by most people nowadays.

Stab people in the neck and throw them away like trash?
Silence
Stab rats and throw them away like trash?
RAAAAAAGE!!!!

PETA can go screw themselves as far as I'm concerned, they support and encourage terrorism among their members. And besides, it's a rat; even other rats don't care about rats.

.....really? Rats? Seriously? There are billions of the things, and is this context it's self defense.

I kinda think the whole rat stabbing thing could've done without
pointlessest pointless QTE I've seen

Doesn't it seem to you like PETA is doing more harm to the protection of animal rights than all the video games and KFC combined?

I've killed tons of rats in Oblivion...
Won't somebody think of the poor virtual rats?!

But somebody tell PETA that rat is a bit of an arse, really. I mean...he gets you killed if you don't kill him, what a prick!

Yes, because I'm sure the Rat would be aware they're speaking on its behalf.

Won't someone think of the mudcrabs? PETA should be defending them!

The_root_of_all_evil:
You....idiots.

If you've not played that set piece, you are given the option of stabbing a rat or getting gunned down like a rat.

But then they'd argue;

"But if you didn't play violent video games to start with, you wouldn't have to make that choice and the DIGITAL, TOTALLY NOT REAL, RAT WOULD STILL BE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"

Or words to that effect.

I think PETA need to re-think their positioning on this one a bit...

Maybe think about taking the word 'option' out of that sentence.

See, Peta...
When someone is given the option to do something, they don't have to do it, and if they don't have to do it, then it's up to the player.
And even then, they'd be sacrificing themselves for the sake of a virtual rat. Is PETA advocating suicide for the protection of imaginary animals?

I'm sure the developers don't advocate or encourage the slaughter of small land mammals...
It's an utterly insignificant, tiny segment of a lager whole which is filled to the brim with killing people.

Had it been an animal slaughter simulator, then yes, you'd have grounds to be concerned, but since it's a small part of a game which has nothing to do with the focus I think we're OK.
Video-games aren't going to turn us into animal-hating psychos just yet.

[As a quick after thought]

Where were PETA when Duke was stompin' rats to hell?

TimeLord:

The_root_of_all_evil:
You....idiots.

But then they'd argue;

"But if you didn't play violent video games to start with, you wouldn't have to make that choice and the DIGITAL, TOTALLY NOT REAL, RAT WOULD STILL BE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"

Or words to that effect.

Not if I stabbed them in the throat first.

"Oh sorry...you didn't mind about people dying...did you?"

Ahhhh, I was wondering when PETA would show up to complain. Next up: They'll be complaining about riding horses in Skyrim (Assuming that you can do such a thing) as wrong. Silly Peta.

Stupid PETA. Don't they know people ARE animals? Look at the south if you deny it.
Therefor stabbing a rat to survive is one animal killing another for survival.

NATURE BITCHES! get a 5th grade science text book.

*invokes right of hell*
That means i can flame my own home because it sucks and i live there.

If I had my way, I'd dip the rat in liquid nitrogen, put some gloves on, whittle its nose to a nice sharp point, then stab the PETA spokesperson in the fucking eye with it.

PETA, the leader of which uses animal sourced insulin to treat her diabetes.

Not saying ANYONE should not have full access to any kind of medical aid that can help, but she actively speaks out against it, while using it.

PETA have done more to discredit caring for animals than the taste of bacon.

How. Fucking. Stupid. ARE THESE PEOPLE!?
Okay... okay... calm down....

phew... alright. Now then. It was war. The rat would have blown your cover. It was a human being, or a rat. Apparently these people would choose the rat. Second, I don't think it was that inhumane, I mean, the rat died VERY quickly, a knife almost cutting your body in half will do that. Third and finally, it did not give you a choice, it was a succeed or fail QTE, if you didn't hit that button, you died (In a very funny way mind you) and had to try again.

SenseOfTumour:
If I had my way, I'd dip the rat in liquid nitrogen, put some gloves on, whittle its nose to a nice sharp point, then stab the PETA spokesperson in the fucking eye with it.

PETA, the leader of which uses animal sourced insulin to treat her diabetes.

Not saying ANYONE should not have full access to any kind of medical aid that can help, but she actively speaks out against it, while using it.

PETA have done more to discredit caring for animals than the taste of bacon.

I did not know that. Lulz.

25 posts went by without anyone posting the Penn and Teller episode about PETA?

Internet, I am disappoint.

Right, those Peta guys, the same ones who actually kill more animals per year then many other orginizations combined. I suppose ethical euthination is better then stabbing a rat, right?

You know the world is going to shit when people complain about a rat getting virtually killed in a 100% nowhere near real video game. The more I read this article the funnier it seems. I can picture PETA members wearing "Save The Rats!" T-Shirts...lol

Hey peta shut up no one cares what you think

You actually stab a rat with a combat knife in the back and then lift it by the tail, then cast it's dead body aside like trash?!

I'm outraged! I will never give EA my money again! Who do they think they are, acting like Gods handing out judgement on natures love rodent?! I'm appalled this hasn't been brought up sooner, I know many people who never would have bought the game if they knew such outright evil was inside this game! I'm writing to EA after I'm done here, and he will know the power of my anger! The consequences will never be the same!

VIVA LA RATA! VIVA LA RATA!!

This is a call to arms for our poor defenseless critter brothers! They CANNOT get away with this! I won't let them! WE WON'T LET THEM!!

*Runs out of the room screaming

EDIT: It's much more fun to just 'go with it' sometimes ; )

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here