Zetas Cartel Frees Kidnap Victim Following Anonymous Threats

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zetas Cartel Frees Kidnap Victim Following Anonymous Threats

The Zetas drug cartel has released a member of Anonymous after the group threatened a campaign against it, but not without leveling an ominous threat of its own.

The Zetas, for those who don't keep up with the shadowy world of Mexican drug cartels, is widely considered to be the worst of the worst. The group was founded by deserters from the Mexican Army Special Forces who began working as a mercenary army for the Gulf Cartel but eventually grew to become the country's second-most-powerful - and far and away most viciously violent - drug cartel. They have butchered hundreds of rival cartel members and innocent civilians alike; in 2010, the group killed 72 people in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas and in 2011, another mass grave in the state containing at least 193 bodies was also attributed to the group. These are not guys to be messed with.

Which is why some people were taken aback when Anonymous did just that in early October after the group kidnapped one of its members as he participated in a street protest in Veracruz, where the Zetas have been engaged in a bloody battle with other drug gangs. A message posted on YouTube threatened to release the names of journalists, police officers and others working with the cartel unless the kidnapping victim was released. "You have made a great mistake by taking one of us," it warned. "Free him."

Not everyone was thrilled by the macho posing. Some warned that "new Anons" should stay away from "OpCartel", while others claimed it had been shelved entirely. Somewhat worryingly, the Stratfor Global Intelligence blog claimed that it had "seen reports that Los Zetas are deploying their own teams of computer experts to track those individuals involved in the online anti-cartel campaign, which indicates that the criminal group is taking the campaign very seriously. Those individuals involved face the risk of abduction, injury and death."

The nature of Anonymous and the inherently secretive nature of drug traffickers [repeated and very public incidents of mass murder notwithstanding] make the whole thing very murky. Some recent reports claimed that Anonymous had backed down entirely out of fear that "irresponsible administrators [could] condemn participants to death," while others insisted it was still full steam ahead. Either way, it now appears that the Zetas have stepped back from the fight too, although perhaps unintentionally.

Anonymous rep Barrett Brown claimed that the hostage was released late last week, although he also acknowledged that the Anonymous campaign may not have had much to do with it. "It appears that the Zetas concerned did not know that the individual was the Anon whose release had been demanded by those who instigated OpCartel," he said. And the release of the hostage came with a very stern warning for Anonymous and anyone else who gets the urge to mess with the cartel's affairs.

"If Anonymous unveils any name related to the cartel, the family of the kidnapped Anonymous member will suffer the consequences," the group said. "For each cartel name revealed, ten people will be put to death."

That's no idle threat, but Brown said that because the Zetas released the Anon unknowingly, "no bargain has been fulfilled" and he would therefore continue his campaign against the cartels regardless, albeit independently of Anonymous. Unsurprisingly, some Anons were critical of the move while others vowed to support him. "I don't speak for anonymous the same way you don't -- we are two individuals," tweeted an Anon who goes by the name Sabu. "Those who want to work on the op can, and will."

Sources: PCMag.com, The Guardian, MSNBC, thanks to DoW Lowen for the tip.

What nonsense. Like Anon would give a damn if someone who wasn't a member of their precious little club was taken. No matter what good arises from Anonymous they'll always be a pack of childish gobshites to me.

So did they release all of the hostage or just a couple of his body parts?

Giving in to anonymous like that. What were Zetas thinking?

This story has proved to me that Anon is incapable of dealing with serious situations as one big anonymous unit (you know, like they are supposed to) when the chips are down. They should stop making the situation worse and leave this kind of stuff to the people who are being paid to do it.

Go back to DDoSing websites and turning in small time pedos. At least your not endangering people's lives that way.

Anonymous threatens drug cartel.

Drug cartel unknowingly releases anon.

Anonymous takes credit.

*slow clap*

Shit, that's though. One thing is fighting organizations the work legally and other fighting one that doesn't. Good thing i dont live in that part of mexico.

If they know the names of cartel members why don't they tell the appropriate authorities? Murky is the right word here.

inbetween geohot, psn down, lulsec, and this, There should be a movie about this group.

These crazy shadow wars are actually kinda scary when you think about them.

so what if an Anon has American or European members release the intel. What are the cartel going to do?

Goddamnit. There goes my hope of the Cartels turning all the Anon members into Meat & Lead stew.

Well, I guess if nothing else I can hope that they make good on their threat later on.

Volf99:
so what if an Anon has American or European members release the intel. What are the cartel going to do?

Kill the Mexican members.

ShadowKirby:

Volf99:

Kill the Mexican members.

.....oh, forgot about that

Volf99:

The same thing they would do if it was a Mexican that did it. Borders mean little to these drug cartels. The only difference is the amount of money it takes.

.. So each cartel name revealed, they'll kill 10 innocent people? Not going to sugarcoat it, but I really do hope someday, that the Zetas face a very hard time being put down. It just gets to me about how bad people can truly be- which even though I don't want innocents to die, them backing down to Anonymous shows maybe another Group or certain agents can get the better of them with information provided. You just watch.

Volf99:

don't be surprised how deep the Zetas are in both Europe and especially America. Also i think they made themselves clear that they were addressing anonymous that they will start killing people if the names are released. However, if they can get that member and his family into safe protection overseas, they might be able to get the info to someone else to leak it, but they said kill ten people anyways. The very least the group can do is hand the info to the proper authorities. People that they know won't wrongly use the info, this way they can watch these members of the zetas which can lead to future bust, so that if and when it does happen it would have been out of Anon's their hands

The moral of this story. You can't play hero. Don't attempt any risk like this unless it is calculated when it comes to life or death. Weigh the consequences of the action before you act. And anon if your going to do ops like this, don't advertise.

twaddle:

Volf99:

don't be surprised how deep the Zetas are in both Europe and especially America. Also i think they made themselves clear that they were addressing anonymous that they will start killing people if the names are released. However, if they can get that member and his family into safe protection overseas, they might be able to get the info to someone else to leak it, but they said kill ten people anyways. The very least the group can do is hand the info to the proper authorities. People that they know won't wrongly use the info, this way they can watch these members of the zetas which can lead to future bust, so that if and when it does happen it would have been out of Anon's their hands

If they sneak over the border and kill an American citizen, I think our media would have a sh*t storm about it and that would bring very unwanted attention from the US upon the zetas.

They should pull an Ozymandias and say, "I released the names a month ago."

Volf99:

twaddle:

Volf99:

If they sneak over the border and kill an American citizen, I think our media would have a sh*t storm about it and that would bring very unwanted attention from the US upon the zetas.

People die in America every day, and violence near the border isn't all that uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that were able to fly under the radar...

Volf99:

twaddle:

Volf99:

I think your not comprehending the situation my friend. They're a drug cartel. A HUGE notorious one at that. Do you honestly believe they don't have factions of their group in the United States and Europe. And if they are coming to kill you i don't think they are going to advertise their activity like Anon. They will come kill you or your family in a place not surrounded by the public and they will probably make it look like an accident. They are a massive organized organization with high numbers and highly intelligent and capable members who are probably smarter or at least far more knowledgeable than you or me.

edit: and what if the media does blow it up. It's not like we will immediatly send an army down there to take out the whole organization. The U.S. hasn't even finished with Alquaida even though they have been over there for ten years and they are not going to start another war immediately like that

Fappy:
This story has proved to me that Anon is incapable of dealing with serious situations as one big anonymous unit (you know, like they are supposed to) when the chips are down. They should stop making the situation worse and leave this kind of stuff to the people who are being paid to do it.

Go back to DDoSing websites and turning in small time pedos. At least your not endangering people's lives that way.

Because Mexico is totally going to deal with those drug cartels themselves. Aaaany day now. Anonymous may be careless, but I can't fault what they're doing here. Standing up to murderous criminals is a good thing. You think nobody's going to get hurt if they just leave them alone?

ArchEvilAngel:

Volf99:

twaddle:

People die in America every day, and violence near the border isn't all that uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that were able to fly under the radar...

If the Mexican drug cartel kills someone in a place like Alabama, it will be big. The fact that a foreign criminal organization killed an American citizen seems like a dumb move on their part.

Volf99:

Like the time they did it earlier this month? Or the one before that?

The cartels operate in America just the same. They don't care. Worst case, from their point of view, is that they lose a few low-level nameless thugs.

twaddle:

They will come kill you or your family in a place not surrounded by the public and they will probably make it look like an accident. They are a massive organized organization with high numbers and highly intelligent and capable members who are probably smarter or at least far more knowledgeable than you or me.

It wasnt an accident it was just a crackhead robbing a house and the situation went bad.

While Anon may very well find themselves outmatched here, I have no qualms about pointing at the more vocal ones still going for the cartels and complimenting the size of their testicular fortitude. Secondly... I actually support this. Piss off the cartels as much and as hard as you possibly can. Provoke them into horrific violence.

It'll happen anyway, after all. The Cartels will never just stop being violent and generally horrible organizations, but at the moment it certainly seems like they're not a bloody priority. Provoke them. Hit them as hard and as often as you can, Anon. It'll cause a lot of innocent deaths, certainly... but that will in turn prove that the Cartels need to be decisively dealt with and -real- professionals can take over.

If the Cartels start killing significant enough numbers in the US and Europe, there'll be no choice left but for the major players in the world to come down on them like a ton of bricks. In the end, the Cartels -will- lose and when they do, the violence they are capable of committing will be far less than the current situation.

In short... yes, a lot of innocent deaths short-term... a lot less death and violence long-term.

Hit them hard, Anon. I'll drink to you once your corpse is on the news, then I'll drink to the real professionals who'll take up where you left off.

Sparrow:
What nonsense. Like Anon would give a damn if someone who wasn't a member of their precious little club was taken. No matter what good arises from Anonymous they'll always be a pack of childish gobshites to me.

they dont give a damn about the hundreds of poor women and children who are kidnapped and sold as slave in mexico and even the US.

fucking A anon, why don't you ban together , get some combat training and go over and fight them your damn selves if it bothers you? after all, them mask will scare the shit out of them especially, if you wear the WHOLE costume.

Aeshi:
Goddamnit. There goes my hope of the Cartels turning all the Anon members into Meat & Lead stew.

Well, I guess if nothing else I can hope that they make good on their threat later on.

Wow just wow, did you even read what you said? Nobody deserves the treatment Los Zetas gives to people. So the next time you try to come up with something witty to say so that people will like you in the forums, just use your fucking head. These people are not a joke. Look up some of the things that these people do to others or what else they do besides drug trafficking.

Volf99:

ArchEvilAngel:

Volf99:

If the Mexican drug cartel kills someone in a place like Alabama, it will be big. The fact that a foreign criminal organization killed an American citizen seems like a dumb move on their part.

Being from Alabama, i can say, may god have mercy on the cartels if they start shit here.
me and granny got shotguns for a reason!

(it's a joke people)

teqrevisited:
If they know the names of cartel members why don't they tell the appropriate authorities? Murky is the right word here.

it's because the mexican government is so damn corrupt, thats half the reason the US cant do anything down there, and you bet your ass the FBI and CIA would love to fuck those cartels over.

hell, i would love to do something about these terrorist, and thats what they are.

TestECull:

Volf99:

Like the time they did it earlier this month? Or the one before that?

The cartels operate in America just the same. They don't care. Worst case, from their point of view, is that they lose a few low-level nameless thugs.

Volf99:

twaddle:

Volf99:

They have also kidnapped American citizens and the media has barely covered anything about these disappearances.

Deviate:
While Anon may very well find themselves outmatched here, I have no qualms about pointing at the more vocal ones still going for the cartels and complimenting the size of their testicular fortitude. Secondly... I actually support this. Piss off the cartels as much and as hard as you possibly can. Provoke them into horrific violence.

It'll happen anyway, after all. The Cartels will never just stop being violent and generally horrible organizations, but at the moment it certainly seems like they're not a bloody priority. Provoke them. Hit them as hard and as often as you can, Anon. It'll cause a lot of innocent deaths, certainly... but that will in turn prove that the Cartels need to be decisively dealt with and -real- professionals can take over.

If the Cartels start killing significant enough numbers in the US and Europe, there'll be no choice left but for the major players in the world to come down on them like a ton of bricks. In the end, the Cartels -will- lose and when they do, the violence they are capable of committing will be far less than the current situation.

In short... yes, a lot of innocent deaths short-term... a lot less death and violence long-term.

Hit them hard, Anon. I'll drink to you once your corpse is on the news, then I'll drink to the real professionals who'll take up where you left off.

Well I mean, that is the hope, right?

But here you're dealing with an organization that operates outside of any bounds of law. Their structure necessarily must be fortified and names/aliases disguised fairly well, or else they wouldn't be this powerful.

I think that you're right, eventually the Cartel would lose; you pointed out, though, that there will be a high cost in lives. It's morally debatable whether you should go around spending innocent lives like that, even if it would save more lives in the long run, which is just a prediction.

In the short term, Mexico, and innocent civilans lose; in the long term, the Cartel loses and international policing agencies win.

There are two options for powerful international agencies: intervene now, or wait and see what happens. Both ways have high costs, though. I wonder how much influence the Zetas already have inside the Government and Army? Probably a lot.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just thinking out loud. There is a lot to consider in terms of costs: money, weapons, power, international security, lives.

I really don't think any Anons should get involved. When there is a very real threat of being tracked down and having 10 people murdered on your behalf because of shit you post online... better to leave that to people who know what the hell they're getting into and have the resources to deal with the consequences.

I really hope nobody other than official agencies have anything to do with the Zetas from here on out. Too many innocent lives lost already.

Fappy:

Or rather, since we are talking about a group that started with 4chan here, being small time pedos.

I do worry what Anonymous thinks it is sometimes. You can be the biggest kid on the playground, but put you with the big boys and you're fucked. Internet tough guy is the lowest rung of tough guy.

If they do have these names, they should release them to the relevant authorities. Sitting on information like that will cost innocent people their lives.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here