Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

While I do like the shout out to old goldies there are alot of really bad choices up there, which in the end makes the whole thing silly.

*sighs*

Game devs being people, just like us, this is nothing but a highly subjective portrait of a *small* community's preferences. So Baldur's Gate made the top. Yay!

One of your favourite games or Street Fighter or whatever didn't? Who cares? Make up your own list if you care that much. It's also going to be subjective, and someone else is bound to say "What?! No! Street Fighter IV is garbage!" or something to that effect.

Still, pretty happy about Minsc and Boo getting the hop honors. I wonder what Xzar and Montaron have to say about that, though.

"STOP TOUCHING MEEEE!"

According to the source (Eurogamer) this was a all-time favourites list, not best/greatest game of all time list.
Favorite =/= Best
Atleast in my opinion that's a huge difference.
This also makes i harder to argue what games should and shouldn't be on the list.

Leftnt Sharpe:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?

The developer may like the idea but you've got to remember that they have to get their publisher on board with the idea too.

Regrettably pitching that kind of idea to most major publishers these days probably wouldn't get you very far :/.
I guess that's what indie developers are for though.

Dubious list >_>

oh btw, is Shadow of the Colossus amazing or something? I'm suddenly feeling left out of the loop

How come metal gear and silent hill aren't preceded by "(series)"? Or do they mean the first installments? (I dont think so)

No Star Wars Battlefront?
No credibility

Although I am glad Mass Effect, Batman and StarCraft all landed in the top ten

No Tetris????? or even Half-Life series :( Somethings a miss :D Some great games in that list though.

zombie711:

Mike Kayatta:

Not one of these games was made for the App Store.

Except
Monkey Island
Mass Effect (series)
Devil May Cry
Tomb Raider
Metal Gear Solid
Call of Duty:
Silent Hill
Assassin's Creed
Dead Space

By which, I of course meant actually made for, not ported to. And I'd bet a shiny nickel that when they voted for Call of Duty, they weren't referring to the one they once played for five minutes while on the toilet. :-/

I cannot accept this because

Super Metroid

has been quite obviously overlooked. Sorry, I like BG and a lot of the others on the list, but COME ON. Its objectively the best game ever.

i see call of duty

i dont see half life and halo

this list is in error.

what devs did they ask?

ea?capcom?activision?blizzard?

hmmm i wonder.

Are you f****** shitting me? Bioshock and Dead Space made the list, and not System Shock 2? DEAD SPACE? BETTER THAN SYSTEM SHOCK 2?

Oh, hahah, I get it, the whole list is a joke, it's obvious now. I mean, Modern Warfare on a list of all-time best games? Hahahahah...

I'm personally incredibly happy with this list.

I was a little surprised that Baldur's Gate is top, although when I considered the fact it takes a certain personality type to want to be a games developer it made more sense.

Very surprised that Dead Space is there, as well as Tomb Raider being mentioned as a series. No denying that Tomb Raider should be there, but Metal Gear is singled out and not part of the series it begs the question of how exactly these votes are spread.

Shocked that DMC made the list but very pleased with the winner. Minsc is one of the best characters in anything of all time!

Can't argue with number one, Baldur's Gate gate was really something. Still remember the pleasures of playing a Undead Hunter in the second game, level-drained never again!

As for the rest? Well, good games but I'd switch some of them around a bit.

Surprised that Planescape: Torment isn't up there as well. But as the Mighty Minsc said "Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads,SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!" Not sure what that has to do with the rest of the sentence but it was bloody awesome every time he said something. It'd always be a hammy speech about justice and ass kicking for justice

SteelStallion:

Leftnt Sharpe:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?

It's more of a fond, nostalgic love I believe.

Also, Diablo 3, Torchlight and Dungeon Siege 3 are just a few off the top of my head.

Those are hack n slash. Different genre.

Leftnt Sharpe:

because unfortunately it can't be played with a thumbstick and four buttons..

The results are in and all is as it should be...

Sewer Rat:
Sorry, but this list is kind of crap and reeks of developers trying to push their own games. I have been wanting to try Baldur's Gate for a while, but this list is not reinforcing or diminishing my desire to play the game.

At the risk of sounding like a rabid fanboy, you're doing yourself a great disservice by keeping away from the Baldur's Gate saga. Seriously. Grab BG 1 & 2 with the expansions, maybe look into the Tutu mod so you can play BG1 with BG2's engine, and treat yourself to hours and hours of one of the best RPGs you can play.

(And then try the Icewind Dale series, for more dungeon crawly goodness!)

Dead Space and Tomb Raider? Seriously? Portal, Half-Life, and Fallout don't make the list, but they do? Yup, broken list is broken. Simple as that. Also:

Abedeus:
and if you see point and click adventure ga... or when you used to see p'n'c adventure games, you'd compare them to Monkey Island. Especially if they had comical elements.

Actually, I compare them to King's Quest, which was always more fun, in that particularly frustrating kind of way, than Monkey Island. But maybe that's just me.

That would probably be my choice too ^^

well, Baldur's Gate does deserve to be up there, but the rest of this list...well, it has some flaws.

This list leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's not exactly bad, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike it.

I see MW, Dead Space, Devil May Cry, and EverQuest, but no Resident Evil, (if not the series than just 4) Metroid, (series) Half-Life, (series) or any representation from Valve whatsoever?

I would advice that, for the sake of clarity, you change the title of your article. From what I understand, what they were asked wasn't which games they thought were THE BEST, but which were their favourites.

Quite a bit of difference there.

EDIT: Also, by a certain mustached plumber you are referring to Mario? Wouldn't he be covered by the Super Mario series?

All but Dead Space I can agree with.
Baldurs Gate is my favorite game of all time and
will most likely stay that forever.

Gamers: Not understanding that developers have people and thus opinions that my differ from there own for over 40 years.

Interesting. That's kind of what I expected, a sort of who's who of general knowledge games. Aside from the mass whining of people who do not understand that this is a popularity contest of people of a certain profession I like it. (pssst, guys just because it's a top x list doesn't mean that it means anything beyond a survey of opinions, you don't have to be offended because a game you don't like isn't up there. Really!)

Actually I totally agree with this... The Baldurs Gate series are epic. Helluva lot of fun to play.

Is it just me or are most of those games RPGs, or have RPG elements?

Lucyfer86:
So, there's Modern Warfare, there's Bioshock... but no Half-Life, bullshit.
Crappy list anyway in my opinion.

no halo, no portal, no counter strike, no BF, no rockstar games, no fall out, no STALKER, no total war, no scott pilgrim.....yet assassins creed, tomb raider and CODMW is on here?

pppfffftttt....no wonder developers keep turning out trash...

(half jokeing....sort of)

Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

Yeah that's all I'm going to post, don't you use any excuse to quote Minsc? You should.

BehattedWanderer:
Dead Space and Tomb Raider? Seriously? Portal, Half-Life, and Fallout don't make the list, but they do? Yup, broken list is broken. Simple as that. Also:

Abedeus:
and if you see point and click adventure ga... or when you used to see p'n'c adventure games, you'd compare them to Monkey Island. Especially if they had comical elements.

Actually, I compare them to King's Quest, which was always more fun, in that particularly frustrating kind of way, than Monkey Island. But maybe that's just me.

Well, you see, Tomb Raider is a classic from MY days. Nobody knew about King's Quest here. Or at least not in my age group... Everyone knew about TR.

And I hated King's Quest. I played a LOT of p'n'c adventure games, even classics like Larry (loved all of the games, got all of the first 5 games, and Larry 7 somewhere on a shelf I dunno where), but I really disliked how easy it is to die in a game like that.

...Now, Sam and Max, those are classics.

http://www.minscandboo.com/quotes2/Ahh_we_are_all_heroes.WAV

Incidentally, I am currently doing my annual Baldur's Gate replay (playing a Wild Mage through Tutu - oh yeah!) and am once again stuck at Sarevok...

[Doublepost]

[Triplepost]...wtf

ericlinke:
I can't help but chuckle everytime I see somebody quoting Minsc.

When the going gets tough, someone hold my rodent!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here