Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I'm so happy to see the baldur's gate series take the number one spot!!! :D

extremely well deserved number 1 spot, and the best games i ever played!

Daft list in places, nice in others. Did not expect SotC to get so much recognition.

But really now, all else aside, no Planescape? That's got to be at least thirty kilotravesties or so.

Aidinthel:

maxmanrules:
Which is odd, considering what sells REALLY ought to be the same thing as what people want to play. Also, you'd hope some indie dev would make one. Makes me wish I could program.

*shrug* Well, what game developers want to play is not necessarily the same as what the average consumer wants.

As for indie devs, I can name one.

Aaaaand, you have made my day. (Skyrim won't run on my PC)

Soods:
Portal and Half Life should've been there, but atleast Starcraft was in top10.
I've never played Baldur's Gate, but I keep hearing it's great and now it "won" this one, do you guys think I should give Baldur's Gate a go?

Yes, but start with BG2. The beginning of BG1 has little plot and can be challenging due to the random nature of the D&D system.

randomsix:
OT: A lot of the higher ranks go to older games. Perhaps this is an indication of a trend of quality?

I wouldn't think so. This is asking developers what their favourite games are. They're going to list the games from their younger days that entertained them and probably inspired them to become developers. They're only likely to name newer games that impressed them in some way. It's generally the same with any artists or creative types. And when you're working 14+ hour days making your own art, you don't have a lot of time to see what your peers are doing except from very technical and professional standpoints.

Also, bear in mind these days (going by the credits) 70% or more of the developers working on AAA titles are visual artists of some sort. That might explain why so many of the newer games on this list tend to be titles that did something new or impressive with graphics or animation, even if the other elements aren't up to snuff.

Not saying there isn't a downward trend of quality, just that this list isn't really an indicator of that.

Dead Space is on there? It's not bad or anything, I just didn't realize anyone thought it was top 20 material.

Well I'm probably no where near the first to say this but...... really......really? Dead Space beat out both Half Life AND Portal???? from a story telling perspective few games are as engrossing as Half Life, and Portal was well.....Portal nuff said.

Most of the rest of the games I can see getting a spot, although I would have liked to see the elder scrolls in there....

Hell yeah for Devil May Cry there.
It did inspire a whole sub-genre of Stylish action

Well, I'd have to agree, the Balder's Gate series is my favorite too. Though, I hope people don't take this as a reason to make another one. Dear god... please don't make another one. The series ended, don't try to squeeze money out of it.

dead space does not deserve a place on the list, and to put bioshock but not system shock shows the game development community's youth

missing:
system shock 1&2
ultima 3-7
ultima underworld
stalker soc
star control 2
planescape torment
sonic (2d games)
konami sidescrolling nintento games with protagonists that have no faces
castlevania symphony of the night (even yahtzee liked it)
metroid prime series, tied with mario 64 for the ultimate example of how to translate a 2d platformer into a well built 3d adventure that perfectly captures the feel of the universe

ResonanceGames:

randomsix:

Leftnt Sharpe:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?

Because it's harder to make an AAA title out of one. They still make them indie though.

OT: A lot of the higher ranks go to older games. Perhaps this is an indication of a trend of quality?

I've been looking for an indie BG-style 3/4 isometric RPG for ages, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? The only things I've found that were even close have been Avernum/Jeff Vogel and the upcoming Age of Decadence, but those are a very different beast.

I have half a mind to make one myself, I think the demand is great enough to turn a profit -- even with 2d graphics.

Not sure if anyone has answered you, I'm too lazy to check all 6 pages, but allow me to introduce (or reinforce anyone else's introduction of) http://basiliskgames.com/ Makers of the excellent Eschalon Books I and II (and soon to be III).

I sensed something... Almost as if millions of half life fans cried out in unison...

OH WELL~! 8D

Am I the only one who is happy to see that the devs put Ever Quest ahead of World of Warcraft?

Also, no Final Fantasy games? Really? C'mon, during their good times, there were some fantastic final fantasy games.

I have to say that not seeing Civilization or Ultima on this list completely invalidates it for me.

Those two series were two of the most influential and beloved game series of all time.

This list must have been made by a bunch of 20 year olds.

zombie711:

Mike Kayatta:

Not one of these games was made for the App Store.

Except
Monkey Island
Mass Effect (series)
Devil May Cry
Tomb Raider
Metal Gear Solid
Call of Duty:
Silent Hill
Assassin's Creed
Dead Space

I understand the need to pwn him, which you did, but spoiler tag it next time?

Kanatatsu:
I have to say that not seeing Civilization or Ultima on this list completely invalidates it for me.

Those two series were two of the most influential and beloved game series of all time.

This list must have been made by a bunch of 20 year olds.

I am 15 and I would have put civilization on there. And elder scrolls. And fallout. And half life. Wait, who the fuck made this list anyways?

Valve fanboys! To Arms!!!

Seriously, though, Baldur's Gate is that good? I'll give it a shot!

These are favorites of a polled demographic. To say that a bunch of people can tell you the best of any subjective thing is absurd.

You'd think capcom would be handling their franchise better with it being number 10.

for shame

drakythe:

ResonanceGames:

randomsix:

Because it's harder to make an AAA title out of one. They still make them indie though.

I've been looking for an indie BG-style 3/4 isometric RPG for ages, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? The only things I've found that were even close have been Avernum/Jeff Vogel and the upcoming Age of Decadence, but those are a very different beast.

I have half a mind to make one myself, I think the demand is great enough to turn a profit -- even with 2d graphics.

Not sure if anyone has answered you, I'm too lazy to check all 6 pages, but allow me to introduce (or reinforce anyone else's introduction of) http://basiliskgames.com/ Makers of the excellent Eschalon Books I and II (and soon to be III).

That looks right up my alley, thanks. Looks a little more in the Fallout/Arcanum mold, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Devil May Cry, World of Warcraft, and Deadspace do not belong up there. At all.

BrionJames:

Its "favourite", not "best". Did you actually read anything besides the misleading headline of the article? Its not subjective, its opinionated.

So they did! I stand corrected sir.

MisterDyslexo:

BrionJames:

Its "favourite", not "best". Did you actually read anything besides the misleading headline of the article? Its not subjective, its opinionated.

We all know the true winner was Pokemon.. They were just all to embarrased to say it.

I have only played 3 of them (WoW, Mario and Assassins creed) and I only liked Assasins creed and to a lesser extent WoW out of those 3.

Seriously.. I know it's subjective and all..but you just can't put Dead Space and not put the Half Life series there somewhere.

*OhJohnNo reads comments*

*OhJohnNo facepalms so hard his face flies through the back of his head*

My opinion is obviously correct. These developers' opinions are obviously wrong. The list is therefore terrible, because it didn't include more games that I like.

I think if they had put system shock series in there instead of Bioshock it would make alot more sense to exclude half-life.

Glad to see my beloved franchise being favoured although I do think alot of the things on the list are stock answers. Besides I doubt all game developers have good taste in games, so for every Silent Hill fan there will probably be a few COD nuts in there.

Also I think the resident evil series and Final fantasy series are possibly the largest omissions from the list. Also this is clearly a list from western developers.

baldurs gate is the shizzle and deserves #1, its the only series where i kept buying because it never got old

All I'm going to say is:

Developers, ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO PICK VALVE GAMES!?

Valve deserves to be on that list way more than Dead Space, Silent Hill, and Starcraft IMO.

It's a list of their favorite games. As in, the games these developers had the most fun playing. NOT the best game of all time. Give it a rest people.

Am I the only person in the world that thought "Infamous" was DAMNED GOOD?

Edit: Infamous series, actually...

ResonanceGames:
Assassin's Creed? Dead Space? Looks like some people might have been voting for their own games. :P

This. And Tomb Raider's on there but Thief isn't? What?

yourbeliefs:

NO fighting games. Really? Not even Street Fighter II or the series?
NO GTA games. The massive impact these games had on the industry cannot be ignored.

I agree. The lack of fighting games is strange (Devil May Cry doesn't count). GTA likewise.

I realise that these things are subjective, but where is Goldeneye? Or Perfect Dark? I also think that Valve has been hard done by. No Half Life? No Portal? Wow.

Weird list but the Baldur's Gate series definitely deserves that top spot. I replay BG2 almost every year, there's just so many ways to play it and so many things to discover that I never get bored of it. This is a true game built for all the right reasons to last the test of time.

I remember when a Bioware developer went on record to say that they'll never top Baldur's Gate again, and I think he knew exactly why. The corporate entity of EA would never allow a project that complete, that refined, that bug-free, that massive to ever be released without chopping it up into tiny little pieces to sell as DLC. Bioware is already kinda dead to me nowadays because of all the underhanded stuff surrounding the entire Dragon Age series in general.

Planescape Torment I've had a hard time getting in to and I can kinda understand why it might get left off. BG2 is a lot more refined and user friendly in comparison, and it still looks good when you play it on a modern computer without mods. I do want to try giving Planescape another chance though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here