Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I would really like to have read some of the development comments behind their choices.

for people arguing this, it is just a result of a poll. your favorite game could have easily been mentioned. it just wasn't mentioned enough times to make it up to the top 20.

Ok, I'm sorry but how is the fact that Baldur's Gate series are the best games of all time in any way news? I mean, that's basically a universal fact. Like cheese.

Diablo above Monkey Island?! There people are dangerous for themselves and society.

Aidinthel:

Leftnt Sharpe:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?

That sort of decision is ultimately based on what they think will sell, not what they'd prefer to be playing themselves.

Games like that would sell, they always did, even with the new popular FPS genre taking off. The difference is that now, the big publishers don't think they'll make ENOUGH assloads of cash with those games like "Modern Battlefield Duty" so they won't bother. As good as Dragon Age was, the second was a watered down hack and slash because EA said they wanted it more "accessable" because dragon age didn't make as much money as they thought it should.[/quote]

I think we can blame the lack of attention to art style and more of a want of photo realism. If a indie game maker made another Baldaurs Gate, then I would buy at least 7 to give out to random people on Reddit.

But since games want to look ultra realistic, we'll need a few billion and lots of time to pass before that happens.

Jenx:
Ok, I'm sorry but how is the fact that Baldur's Gate series are the best games of all time in any way news? I mean, that's basically a universal fact. Like cheese.

Now I want to eat cheese. Damn you.

Baldur's Gate is my favorite game of all time! BOO!!!!!!!!!

There's a bit of a trend toward the recent as soon as you get out of the highest few (as tends to happen in most of these lists on any subject), but otherwise, it seems pretty reasonable.

Regarding the inclusion of Call of Duty, since that's always the most controversial game on the internet, it's worth remembering that even if you feel like they're just churning out the same game with a new coat of paint, certainly the first one was an interesting development.

I would have expected the Final Fantasy series to be higher on that list.

I am extremely surprised Half Life 2 isn't up there. It's the highest rated game on multiple prominent review sites. You'd think it'd be up there. I'm thinking there may have been a voter bias here.

Its a good list, true, i wouldnt put most of those games in that list, but all in all its a good list and i can understand that some people have different tastes than i do.

BG really deserves the first spot, i think everyone agrees with that, the rest... Well, they are good games, all of them are FUN, thats the main thing, most of them ive played and loved.

I cant really understand why WoW is in the list tho, i can kinda see where they are coming from with EQ, but wow?

Anyway, most if not all of these games are a must play.

Was this a list of best series or individual titles ? Either way I'm glad to see Baldur's Gate and Monkey Island in top three. I don't agree with complete lack of Planescape Torment, System Shock (although Bioshock is on the list), Half Life and Diablo being so high up & Dead Space being included at all. But these things are difficult to make (to everyone's satisfaction) and I'm actually surprised I agree with most of the list.

Mike Kayatta:
Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

1,000 developers listed their twenty favorite games, and a certain mustachioed plumber didn't even make the top fifteen.

A recent survey given to game developers awarded BioWare's beloved game series Baldur's Gate top honors as the best game series of all time, winning out over second place runner up, Diablo, and third place winner, Monkey Island. I know everyone's aching to cheer and/or groan at what else was included, so without further ado, here's the full list:

1) Baldur's Gate (series)
2) Diablo (series)
3) Monkey Island (series)
4) Shadow of the Colossus
5) Mass Effect (series)
6) Batman: Arkham Asylum
7) StarCraft
8) The Legend of Zelda
9) EverQuest
10) Devil May Cry
11) Tomb Raider (series)
12) BioShock
13) Metal Gear Solid
14) World of Warcraft
15) Deus Ex
16) Super Mario (series)
17) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
18) Silent Hill
19) Assassin's Creed
20) Dead Space

The poll was conducted by The World Gaming Executive network for the first issue of its WGE magazine. While the publication may be new, the organization itself has been around for four years and includes over 30,000 members. You may have never heard of the WGE, but Blizzard, Apple, Virgin Games, and Ubisoft are but some of the larger developers already included in its network.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this list, though I'm inclined towards the latter, since this is a list apparently made by game developers.

Assassin's Creed and... and fucking dead space? Really?

Other than that it's pretty solid, i don't know about the order though. I would put baldur's gate/icewind dale at or near the top of my list too.

1) Baldur's Gate (series)
- Never played,so no opinion
2) Diablo (series)
- Want to play, but still no opinion
3) Monkey Island (series)
- Ditto
4) Shadow of the Colossus
- Just bought, still playing, pretty good, but kind of awkward
5) Mass Effect (series)
- Never played, and don't really have an interest in playing
6) Batman: Arkham Asylum
- I loved it, but I'm surprised it made the list still
7) StarCraft
- It's an RTS and I don't have the patience
8) The Legend of Zelda
- It's Zelda and I don't have the patience
9) EverQuest
- I forget what this one is, but I thought I heard bad stuff about it
10) Devil May Cry
- Just bought, still playing, it's interesting
11) Tomb Raider (series)
- No interest in playing
12) BioShock
- Just bought, haven't started just yet
13) Metal Gear Solid
- Still playing, fucking hard as hell... but satisfying
14) World of Warcraft
- I have no intention of ever getting suckered into these shenanigans
15) Deus Ex
- Have it, it's certainly unique, but I wouldn't say it's in my top 20
16) Super Mario (series)
- Um... I'm more of a Sonic guy. Nothing against Mario, but he was more fun back in the 2D games. (ironically)
17) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- I won't argue against the first MW game, but I'm glad the series didn't get up on this list
18) Silent Hill
- 1 but not 2?
19) Assassin's Creed
- Want to play, no opinion
20) Dead Space
- seen a friend play... I think Yahtzee was pretty much on the ball on this one.

Wow... I need to play more games. Damn school and work.

EDIT: No Valve games? I know they aren't the worlds best games ever, but Half-Life or Portal should have at least made it betweeen 15-20 (personally, probably in my top ten).

Tomb Raider is 11th, No Valve games are included

You can't explain that

Friggin' double posts

Gotta love that one of my favourites is on there, Arkham Asylum, but am just like the majority curious about the lack of HL.
I guess this means I'll have to try out Baldur's Gate, though...

Sewer Rat:
Sorry, but this list is kind of crap and reeks of developers trying to push their own games. I have been wanting to try Baldur's Gate for a while, but this list is not reinforcing or diminishing my desire to play the game.

here is why i think that it is there the

game is very old most of them will have played it as a child = nostalgia

the game is very memorable as almost nothing fills the niche = Original

more side quests that any modern day RPG that is out (easily 2x the amount in game like Mass effect or oblivion) and for an old game that is very impressive = revisionary for the time

D'nD was at it golden age = popular in the gamer crowd

Very solid writing that goes hand in hand with game play = something allot of gamers miss

6 player co-op LAN enough said XD

But playing it again which I do sometimes the things that are bad

graphics are poor and have not aged well at all

Not as easy what with heavy planning needed and it is possible to get in fight you can't win and thus have to start again (you can also kill your whole team if you're not on the ball with a bad spell cast)

D'nD isn't user friendly you need to know what you're doing before you go in

given all of that its my no. 1 no dout. When i linked this article to my friends the first thing they said what "fuck yes BG"

and you should

GeorgW:
Gotta I'll have to try out Baldur's Gate, though...

Nothing by Bethesda, Bungie, Rockstar, or Valve. Fail list is fail.

What, no KOTOR? I call shenanigans.

Surprised Minecraft wasn't on there.

Two, MAYBE three of those games would make my top 20 list. What a sad, sad list.

Baldur's Gate, huh? I played an old one on the PC that reminded me a lot of Diablo... Can't remember which one it is now.

Also, Dead Space? On the list? Look, I enjoy dead space, but I wouldn't put it on the list of best of all time.

ALSO WHERE IS DOOM.

So they picked the list of games that they personally liked.

So it's a poll of "What was your favorite games?" for developers.

Eh, well, if they liked them, then they liked them. Why are people getting so butthurt over this?

Go for the win, Boo! GO FOR THE WIN, YEEEAAAARGH!

A well deserved victory.

The fuck is with The Escapist and spinning news?

The devs were asked what their favorite games were. See that word? If you're observant, you'd realize that "favorite" and "best" are not the same words.

No it's Skyrim!!

Ugh... if that's what developers are looking to for inspiration, no wonder games I like are so few and far between.

As the OP said, amongst the sometimes ludicrous and positively strange "Best Games of All Time" lists, this does standout as being quite good. A few things though:

Silent Hill 2 > Silent Hill. Then move it about 10+ places higher and that's more like it... Also, how can Dead Space possibly be on this list when Silent Hill 2 is not? Could you have the invention of the car without the wheel?

I'm surprised either Civilization (IV?) or Age of Empires (II) don't make the list. I would personally move some of the most recently released titles somewhat further down, because we don't know how they will stand up to time passing.

EDIT: Realised this is a list of what the developers consider their favourite games of all time. Well that completely changes everything I guess...

assians creed? the first one? why? i do love the assians creed series but the first was the worst one! it was fun yes but realy repetative the rest fixed that issue!
also when was this list made? i see arkham asyloom but where is city?

CAPTCHA:

>17) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Pardon me while I slowly rip my own limbs off and bleed to death.

idodo35:
Assassin's Creed? The first one? Why? I do love the Assassin's Creed series, but the first was the worst one! It was fun, yes, but really repetitive, the rest fixed that issue!
Also, when was this list made? I see Arkham Asylum, but where is city?

That's better.

i support the list and i am sure it has been mentioned in the past seven pages, but ...

no half-life?

This list is as stupid as the number 1 game on it. Some of these are good, but not a single snes game ? That's how you know they're trollin'. Mario doesn't count, you're not allowed to vote on an entire series as best game.

Jenx:

Cheese can change the nature of a man.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or