Modern Warfare 3 Nutcase Threatens to Blow Up Best Buy

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Modern Warfare 3 Nutcase Threatens to Blow Up Best Buy

A Colorado idiot threatened to shoot employees and blow up a Best Buy after the store screwed up his Modern Warfare 3 preorder.

Call of Duty really seems to bring out the Einsteins, doesn't it? First we had the criminal mastermind who was picked up at a midnight launch event after a botched robbery attempt and now comes the sordid tale of Lomorin Sar, a 31-year-old man from Colorado who was mightily disappointed when he learned that his local Best Buy had screwed up his Modern Warfare 3 preorder.

When it turned out that the store didn't have his game, Sar became "irate," according to the manager, and instead of angling for a gift card or a free upgrade to the Hardened Edition, he started asking employees what time they were done work - so he could shoot them in the parking lot as they left. Then, for good measure, he threatened to blow up the whole damn store.

Fearful employees, unable to determine whether Sar was a lunatic or just a kook, called police, who pulled him over as he drove away from the store and charged him with disorderly conduct. "Investigating officers issued a criminal summons to a man who threatened to carry out his own version of Modern Warfare at the electronics store," Detective Bob Friel told the Aurora Sentinel. "Fortunately, this situation did not end in violence."

And why didn't this guy just pop over to another Best Buy to pick up his game if he was so desperate to get it that night? Apparently he's a bit of a known hothead; 9News.com said he's had at least a half-dozen previous run-ins with police over traffic violations.

via: GamePolitics

Welcome to retail, guys.

For every 1,000 people you serve, there will be one that wants to destroy you.
For every 1,000,000 you serve, there will be one that tries.

Why cant the CoD fanbase be like regular fanbases? As in buying whatever pleases thier fanboy desires and keeping thier insigificant rants to internet forums.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Welcome to retail, guys.

Electronics Retail: There's always that one guy who wants to buy a butane torch so he can smoke his meth, but doesn't want to pay for it. That guy will stab you in the parking lot.

gigastar:
Why cant the CoD fanbase be like regular fanbases? As in buying whatever pleases thier fanboy desires and keeping thier insigificant rants to internet forums.

Well said sir that is what the internet was created for right?

Mental. Absolutely fucking mental.
Does Call of Duty make people so crazy that it makes them want to kill actual people? I mean, CoD is OK, and addictive, and everything, but not THAT great! Jesus...

I really don't think people like this should own games like call of duty lol

What? This guy is dumb! I would have just calmed down and asked if I could get it at a discount.

A free upgrade or explosions?!
Well, I know what I'd choose there!
Explosi~~I mean, upgrades! Jeeves!

Damn. I'd have just taken the Hardened Edition. In fact, from now on, I'm going to pre-order all big releases, come in at the very end of the day, throw a fit if they don't have it, and then take the free upgrade. Win-win.

'Sar, go to plan B'

I've been to that Best Buy; I can very much relate to his general sentiment.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Fox is already putting some anti-video game spin on it:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/09/nationwide-violence-greets-release-new-call-duty-video-game/

It's the CRAZE of Advertising and Promotion that makes the idiots to MUST HAVE the game At LAUNCH!!! Last night i happened to walk into a Gamestop passing by the trash bins full of monster energy drinks and moutain dew. They were sold out of MW3, Best buy was sold out, and 4 other stores were sold out around the area. I thought to myself. Well Amazon.com could never be sold out because they stock piles millions for years and gradually increase the price as their supplies dwindle in their stock Warehouses. Example Try buying Modern Warefare 1 at Amazon.com. Buy new at $39.99! WTF? Buy used at $0.01..lol..

The Hype and false promises of greedy intentionally understocked stores, makes it partially their fault.

LavaLampBamboo:
Damn. I'd have just taken the Hardened Edition. In fact, from now on, I'm going to pre-order all big releases, come in at the very end of the day, throw a fit if they don't have it, and then take the free upgrade. Win-win.

He couldn't because the Hard Edition was another 5 day wait!

ugh... And now the anti-gaming lobbyists have even more ammunition against the industry. Every time we manage to do some good, some idiot fan has to pull something like this.

MW3, MW3, MW3. I.dont even own the thing and im bored of it already.

And as the article made clear, this guy was an angry nutter with low impulse control regardless of video games. Unless those traffic violations were a product of too much Need For Speed.

Oh god, here comes another video game rant.

You don't see stuff like this happening because of Assassin's Creed or Skyrim do you?

It's just Modern Warfare that seems to attract the total nut jobs.

EDIT:Right guys, I didn't know going to put my opinion down was going to attract such bloody hate, I get it fine. I'M WRONG. Is that what you want to hear? I'm nt going to bother argueing with all of you? It was just a personal opinion, something half of the Escapist community can not seem to understand if it does not fit with their own.

I dunno, for Fox thats pretty restrained, especially the 'Rarely does virtual violence led to such real world violence, however.' comment at the end.

I would honestly have expected them to go for the throat a lot more than they did

inb4 media spins violence over video games news story

I wouldn't call this guy a fan of anything.

As for the news trying to spin this against games, well, this particular example of the human race was probably threatening to burn down a pizza hut for leaving the anchovies off back when CoD was a twinkle in some bored coder's head.

All I could think about when I heard of this incident was this...

JasonBurnout16:

You don't see stuff like this happening because of Assassin's Creed or Skyrim do you?

No, because they're not out yet.

I really hope it's just these insane military FPS games that attract the serious nutjobs...

No CoD for You!

The_root_of_all_evil:
Welcome to retail, guys.

I would imagine that's pretty much the same stats for meeting people in real life.
Actually, you're probably safer in retail

The_root_of_all_evil:
Welcome to retail, guys.

That doesn't seem that bad. For every 10 customers I serve, I want to hit at least 3 of them.

The problem with this, and any unidirectional contract, is that if you don't deliver, people get pissed off.

My cell phone company called me and had a disagreement with me about some stuff. They told me to go fuck myself. Damn right I want to eviscerate the ass hole. Normally after being treated that way by someone I'm paying for service from, I wouldn't want to do business with anymore but I have a contract that locks me in for another year. So I have to take their verbal abuse.

captcha: governor, Phildst

DVS BSTrD:

I would imagine that's pretty much the same stats for meeting people in real life.

Problem is compounded that you HAVE to meet 3/400 a day.

And the wooden barrier only slows them.

FoolKiller:
[
That doesn't seem that bad. For every 10 customers I serve, I want to hit at least 3 of them.

Try being a Mod somewhere. Or a Policeman. Or a Kebab seller. That number's still quite low.

El Luck:

JasonBurnout16:

Have 6,000 copies of Skyrim or Assassin's creed been stolen at Armed gun point?

Has this happened when previous Assassin's creed games have been released? Or when Oblivion was released, did someone threaten to storm a Bestbuy with weapons from middle earth?

This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3.

The_root_of_all_evil:

DVS BSTrD:

Problem is compounded that you HAVE to meet 3/400 a day.

And the wooden barrier only slows them.

FoolKiller:
[

Try being a Mod somewhere. Or a Policeman. Or a Kebab seller. That number's still quite low.

Yeaaaah. I worked in an ice cream parlor for a while. The customer is never right. Never, ever, ever, evereverever. It's telling that the most understanding, easiest to please customers that I ever served was a deaf couple who couldn't speak, either.

JasonBurnout16:

El Luck:

JasonBurnout16:

Have 6,000 copies of Skyrim or Assassin's creed been stolen at Armed gun point?

Has this happened when previous Assassin's creed games have been released? Or when Oblivion was released, did someone threaten to storm a Bestbuy with weapons from middle earth?

This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3.

To be fair, the truckload of MW3 games wasn't stolen at gunpoint. The driver(s) was/were teargassed, though. Which I suppose can be considered worse.

Ooooo so this explains a lot. Recall all those anonymous games where people are raging at you for 'sucking' and 'being a noob' and all that jazz? Many of those are probably peeps like these (albeit less psychotic). I'm sure these people would be insanely fun to troll. Reminds me of that time I trolled this football player on facebook who was trying to defend his bitch-girlfriend by being all 'tough guy'... on the INTERNET. Dam he got pretty mad.... *trollface*

A free upgrade would of made me happy. I really am ashamed that the guy has to yet make COD fans look bad. First, was the theft in France with the two masked men, then that one individual following the guy... now this dude. Jeez, I enjoy COD games too but what's making them flip out like this? I know it's not video games... it's just something else.

Kopikatsu:
It's telling that the most understanding, easiest to please customers that I ever served was a deaf couple who couldn't speak, either.

It's true. Never had a single problem from deaf, wheelchair-bound or mentally handicapped people. Children as well...hardly ever a problem (though a bit loud and clumsy)

The parents? 9/10 are bastards.

...And then he proceeded to go to GameStop in hopes of snatching a copy for himself. But the line was too long for the midnight release! But an idea had struck him. He would wait inside his red car for a fool who would buy a copy for him and then...

See, THIS is why CoD has such a bad rep. I'm not a fan of the game myself (I have MW2 and it's alright) but I admit the game can be tons of fun if you play with the right people. But it's like the dumbest people are the majority of all CoD fans! I didn't say all, by the way, I said most. If you're one of those rare and intelligent CoD, then congratulate yourself because you're a rare breed. But most of these guys only know how to play CoD and that's it. Take the game away and they become irate, dumb people. And I have to deal with them everyday...

Oh, CoD. I'm beginning to understand your dilemma.

ResonanceGames:
I've been to that Best Buy; I can very much relate to his general sentiment.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Fox is already putting some anti-video game spin on it:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/09/nationwide-violence-greets-release-new-call-duty-video-game/

'Rarely does virtual violence led to such real world violence, however.'

Holy shit Fox is learning!

OT: Silly CoD crazies!

So CoD is the new Catcher in the Rye? It inspires people to commit crimes.

I mean, holy God, what the hell is wrong with some of these people? It's a fucking game.

Also, people who use this shit to dump on the other 99% of the fanbase are twats.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here