Server Screw Up Kills MMO

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Server Screw Up Kills MMO

Japanese MMO M2 has been shut down after the game was accidentally deleted during server maintenance.

M2 was taken offline at 8PM on the 21st of October due to a "critical issue" one of the game's main servers. Whatever the problem was, it's kind of a moot point now, because the game isn't coming back. Neither current game operators Hangame nor Sankando, the original developer, could restore the game data, and this seems to be another case of developers playing fast and loose when it comes to backups.

M2 had a fairly small user base, but it was heavily based around microtransactions and premium items, so chances are there's more than a few angry players lamenting their lost time and money. Hangame is issuing "conditional" refunds to certain players.

The shutdown brings the whole microtransction model into question. If persistent games can disappear so abruptly, and for such an easily avoidable reason, then all of a sudden those fancy in-game items don't seem like such a solid investment. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.

Source: Igxpro

Wait... So... They deleted the game off of their servers?

How does this happen, exactly?

Grey Carter:
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.

I will gladly purchase your hats, good sir, for I am not poor and Irish.

Obligatory: Stout Shako for two refined?!

OT: Just imagine if this happened to WoW. Oh the rage that would be incurred.

yikes.... that's all i can say really.

I laughed at this when I saw this story on the Complex. It actually looked like a cutesy game.

How does a blunder that big happen?

Gxas:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Wow. That's... quite something that happened there...

RedEyesBlackGamer:
How does a blunder that big happen?

Incompetence, plain and simple. No backups? Idiotic rookie mistake. Having the ability to accidentally delete it ALL so easily? Idiotic rookie mistake #2.

That's sorta impressive.

Part of me hopes that this is revealed to have been done deliberately to manipulate finances in some way, but that'd require alot of skullduggery with transactions to have been going on beforehand.

"no backups" for a online MMO isn't so much a mistake as highly, highly suspicious.

Sleekit:
no backups for a online MMO isn't so much a mistake as highly, highly suspicious.

Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Wo-ooow. Somebody was wearing some serious clown shoes. What a bunch of assclowns, how do you -delete- the entire MMO?

Seriously: Why do people keep failing to back it up?

Which reminds me... Time to backup!

Grey Carter:
The shutdown brings the whole microtransction model into question. If persistent games can disappear so abruptly, and for such an easily avoidable reason, then all of a sudden those fancy in-game items don't seem like such a solid investment. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.

maybe through THESE brain donors (seriously HOW do you fuck up that bad to begin with, and WHY where there no back ups -.- dumb asses)

but microtransactions, depending on who running them and whats for sale are no more 'better spent' then paying say ... Blizzard $15 a month JUST to play the game, you spent $79.97 (actual pre-tax price for all of it at game stop atm) getting the game + expansions.

I hope they at least made the servers punch proof
I learned that the hard way
three times

Kopikatsu:

Sleekit:
no backups for a online MMO isn't so much a mistake as highly, highly suspicious.

Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Occam's razor...oh nvm

as far as im aware modern server clusters run with rolling incremented backups almost "out the box" so to speak especially in database situations and databases (which are often separate but integrated software sometimes supplied by a third party) are a big part of an MMO plus the games code would, at the very least, be isolated on numerous development machines in different iterations throughout the companies offices because devs don't fiddle with code on live servers.

they are talking about the complete loss of at least three separate things here most of which would usually be individually backed up: the "live" server code, the databases & all the development code.

that is, as i said, highly, highly suspicious.

Nothing's really changed. Microstransactions have always been a dodgy transaction.

They accidentally their entire MMO.

EDIT: Obligatory 'This is not a short post' filler, and you will have read this, which means it caught your eye ^^

Kopikatsu:

Sleekit:

Heinlein's Razor Revised: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.

See, this is why you don't use rm -r.

Oh I can just see the CEO meeting for this one
"Ok boys I've gotten word that the games been down for a while, whats going on?"
"We...uhhh...seem to have..........deleted the entire game..."
"...Right... I expect you'll be performing Seppuku then?"
"...No sir I don't think anyone does that anymo-hey where did you get that swordOHGODITBURNS"
"Alright boys, take some photos, looks like a few of our employees have committed ritual suicide, poor souls"

Wow, the whole damned game. Really? That's um....that's pretty bad man. Shouldn't one of the first things you do on a server maintenance day be to backup the servers?

Simple case of stupidity, or clever plot by the empire to recruit more to the dark side?

Furioso:
Oh I can just see the CEO meeting for this one
"Ok boys I've gotten word that the games been down for a while, whats going on?"
"We...uhhh...seem to have..........deleted the entire game..."
"...Right... I expect you'll be performing Seppuku then?"
"...No sir I don't think anyone does that anymo-hey where did you get that swordOHGODITBURNS"
"Alright boys, take some photos, looks like a few of our employees have committed ritual suicide, poor souls"

I was reminded of Firefly:

The Operative: You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords.
Dr. Mathias: Well, unfortunately, I forgot to bring a sword.
Dr. Mathias: [as the Operative pulls out his sword] I would put that down right now if I were you.
The Operative: Would you be killed in your sleep, like an ailing pet?

Just wow. All that work and money spent just to delete it all...

There are a lot of people who don't back up.

There are also a lot of people who think they are backing up, but the automated backup is failing and they fail to notice.

Then there are people who back up to tape. Tape is a f#@4ing disaster. It's almost more of a placebo than a backup, because it only seems to work in 5-10% of the times I've seen it tried. One of my own typical personal experiences trying to get something recovered at work: "Oh yeah, no problem, we incrementally back up to tape every night! Hold on!" ... ... 2 hours later ... ... "Hi? Yeah, we're encountering some problems..." ... ... 2 more hours later ... ... "Uh, well, supposedly your stuff is on the tape... but we just can't get it off. Yeah."

I don't think "Oops" is a strong enough word to describe the goings on in this particular story.

Oh yes, they deleted an entire game, I'm sure they will have no trouble explaining that to their boss, such a simple blunder.
I think this easily makes gaming blunder of the year don't yall agree?

Gxas:

The same reason Chernobyl exploded... completely ignoring all your safety features. ALL OF THEM.

OT: I rarely flat-what, but I did it here. This puts new meaning into "critical existence failure".

You know the maintenance team was looking at the screen and once they did that I bet there was one person that just said "Wait....aw fuck".

Thats hilarious.

Looked like a garabage korean grinder.

And nothing of value was lost.

Gxas:

Data gets corrupted, no backups were made.

Kopikatsu:

Grey Carter:
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.

for I am not poor and Irish.

hold the phone! where are the anti racist/feminist screaming at now?

oh wait..it involves being irish and you are male. doesn't matter.

OT:

this is...wow. if i played mmo's and someone told me this i'm pretty sure i'd scoff in their face not believing them till i saw it with my own eyes...

i mean wtf, how do you LOSE A WHOLE GAME, DEVELOPERS?

It all depends on where the servers are located. In America, there are data back up laws that would have prevented this mishap. The companies also wouldn't be able to only offer "conditional" refunds. I guess Japan doesn't have those same laws. Live and learn.

lacktheknack:

Gxas:

The same reason Chernobyl exploded... completely ignoring all your safety features. ALL OF THEM.

OT: I rarely flat-what, but I did it here. This puts new meaning into "critical existence failure".

Somehow STALKER: Shadow of M2 doesn't have the same ring to it.

OT: This is freakin' hilarious.

A) Back the game up. Seriously.

B) Have saveguards, like fifty billion "Are you sure you want to delete the entire game" windows pop up or something.

C) *facepalm*

I guess what this does do is make me 10 times less likely to spend real money on World of Tanks now.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here