EA Wants to Make Wii U an Origin Exclusive

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

EA Wants to Make Wii U an Origin Exclusive

EA is rumored to be pushing hard to make Origin the exclusive online platform for the upcoming Nintendo Wii U.

This is a rumor from an anonymous and therefore entirely unverifiable source so take it for what it's worth, but the word on the street is that Electronic Arts is in talks with Nintendo about bringing Origin, its fledgling digital-distribution-slash-DRM service, to the Wii U, the in-the-works successor to the Nintendo Wii. EA is looking for a way to muscle Origin into the console market, so the story goes, while Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."

Valve is also reportedly interested in making Steam available on the Wii U, but the source claims that EA is "aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origin exclusive with Wii U's online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam."

It's an interesting idea if nothing else, and it's lent a certain amount of credence by none other than EA's Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore, who voice some pretty serious enthusiasm for Nintendo's next box back in October. "There are no indications that there's anything that feels like it's off target," he said. "Our teams are working on it around the world. Our key franchises will be there. We've made that commitment to Nintendo."

I guess we'll see just how deep that commitment actually goes.

Source: Wii U Go, via CVG

Nintendo's response: Hahaha... no...

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Don't let that happen.

Wow, two redundant pieces of shit for the price of one! I'm sold!

Well i know Nintendo execs arent the smartest at long term buisness decisions, but im sure they wont block out the most recognised and popular digital distribution platform on the web in exchange for something that had a bad reputaion practically out of the door among consumers for unauthorised spyware.

At least i hope.

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen.

Don't balls up your online again this time Nintendo.

If I was Nintendo, I'd put Origin on their system. And Steam. And any other distribution program. Including their own.

As dumb as Nintendo is with online services, I don't think they'll bite so easily. I hope >.>'

At least if they do, it won't be an exclusive service, Valve is also interesed in adding Steam to it and who knows what other services could be brought to it, but also this concerns me a bit, with so many services, so many credencials to input every time you want to play a particular game from a particular publisher, it could mean trouble for console gamers, or they could embrace them, I don't know.

A system virtually nobody wants running a service virtually nobody likes?

Exclusively?

Sounds like a winner to me.

Seventh Actuality:

ninja bastard.

This would be good for EA because as far as i know they make no Nintendo compatible games; this allows them to gain money from Wii u with no effort.

Andy Chalk:
EA is looking for a way to muscle Origin into the console market, so the story goes, while Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."

Because making the Wii U use only the most despised digital distribution platform from a publisher whose name has been equated with evil for years is the best way to rebuild relationships with Western gamers...

If that happens, I will skip the Wii U entirely. The exclusive part, I mean. EA, if you want a console that only uses Origin, build your down damn console.

And I really hope that statement where Nintendo thinks only a massive company like EA knows what people want from online. Nintendo, let me save you some trouble: EA doesn't know a damn thing about what we want from online. Online passes? We don't want that. Needing an EA account for online aspects in addition to our Xbox Live and PSN accounts? We don't want that either.

I do understand that it's just a rumor, but I think we should get someone who writes well in Japanese to create one of those form letters we can just add our names to and send off to Nintendo of Japan to let them know that don't want a single thing that EA has to offer to the world of online connectivity and gaming.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if ea was trying to do this but if they do them Im not touching the online marketplace for the wiiU, the only online digital distribution sources I trust are steam and gog.com.

Should Nintendo use Origin? Sure. That means some franchises from EA like Dead Space and games from Bioware can finally end up on a Nintendo system.

Should Nintendo use Origin exclusively? NO! NO! GOOD GOD NO! BAD EA! BAD! Don't listen to them, Iwata! It's the DARK SIDE talking!

Besides that, Nintendo are total control freaks. I doubt they'd give EA that much control. They aren't THAT desperate to repair relationships with third-parties.

Andy Chalk:
Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."

So they want to appeal to the western market, and they're even thinking about choosing Origin over Steam for that? Nice job...
That said, it does make sense. I lend absolutely no credence to this rumour, don't see why they'd even need Origin, but if it's gonna be something , Origin's a good fit. PS4 will probably get Steam either way, so either WiiU/origin will provide some good competition; or PS4 and WiiU will together with Steam crush the Xbox 720. I'm hoping for the latter, but the first seems more likely.

And that's why i frikking hate EA... they only have stupid ideas and they want to be the only ones on the console? Greedy much?

Screw EA, Nintendo, if for some reason you only go Origin, i promise for in this day forward, it doesn't matter the Legend of Link or Star Fox even Mario games you make, cuz i promise that i just won't buy them.

I don't mind ifit has Origin AND other companies such has Steam. But beeing exclusivly EA? Screw that! Not today, not tomorrow, not in the next 100 years!!

Nononononononononononononononononononono.
Actually, i don't really care.
Do what you like EA and Nintendo, we'll still hate you.

Nintendo isn't stupid, but with its current "Hey, guys, we're running out of cash here", the last thing they need is EA trying to strong arm itself in.

Actually, I don't see this being a bad thing. The main problem I have with Origin is the invasive data farming on my PC, but that wouldn't be an issue on the Wii U (what with the hardware all being the same and stuff, and all the software being games).

I'm going to put down this silly, stupid, impossible rumour as eloquently and succinctly as only I can...

Shit off.

HAHA no just no EA, Nintendo aren't that stupid to let you do this, not when they could make more money using their own digital distribution for the Wii U.

Nintendo would never agree to that.
That idea doesn't sound like it would print money at all.

And it sounds super sketchy.

ehm nintendo guys?
EA does not know what western audiences want, they just happen to publish things like battlefield(which they fucked up on PC by making it origin exclusive) and whatever bioware does.

I get that rumor-mongering is an ancient art older than journalism itself, but really, this is the equivalent of a gaming tabloid-article. In my opinion, it should take more than a completely anonymous source making incredulous claims to support anything newsworthy.

But I digress..

Nintendo would have to be completely retarded (or incredibly desperate) to even consider a deal like that.
They would lose so many licensing contracts from the other publishers on conflict-of-interest alone, it couldn't possibly be worth it. Nintendo needs to attract a variety of 3rd party support, and this is the sort of thing that would drive the other big publishers away from the Wii-U.

If this ends up being verified and Origin does end up being the only online source, I guarantee you I won't be online gaming on the WiiU at all. Fuck that.

EDIT: If Steam was the only one on there, I wouldn't have any issues with that. But I've heard nothing positive about Origin or anything good that Steam hasn't already done. Ergo, Origin doesn't sound like it's a worthwhile investment for making the system Nintendo is trying to make.

They should do it, it would save me from buying a console during the next season of console wars.

If they make it origin only I will not buy. I despise EA's download software.

Seventh Actuality:

Holy shit, that was far funnier than it should've been.

OT: Well seeing as how Nintendo has been looking to tank their own company for a while now, it seems only natural they would contract out the duties for failing to get it done thus far.

"Buy our shit hardware and get shit software free!"
Sounds like the perfect deal.

What I'm gonna say might be based off of old, outdated information, and if it is, I apologize, but didn't Nintendo say they wanted the Wii-U's online platform to be open any sort of online service? Wouldn't the Wii-U being "Origin-only" completely go against that?

o.0

by the gods no

I can't say that's not a smart move EA but.... please don't...

I would like Nintendo to have some better online competitively and interactivity but not by you...

OMG SO BAD BECAUSE ORIGIN IS THE DEVIL AND EATS NEWBORNS FOR LUNCH!

I really don't care, that would be the point I am making.
Also, it's not like most other developers/publishers know what western gamers want. Because everyone is ALWAYS crying whatever is happening.
So, yeah.

Screw Origin, I want Steam service on Wii U.

SupahGamuh:
As dumb as Nintendo is with online services, I don't think they'll bite so easily. I hope >.>'

At least if they do, it won't be an exclusive service, Valve is also interesed in adding Steam to it and who knows what other services could be brought to it, but also this concerns me a bit, with so many services, so many credencials to input every time you want to play a particular game from a particular publisher, it could mean trouble for console gamers, or they could embrace them, I don't know.

The whole reason the Wii-U was left the way it was with its online service IS because Nintendo is dumb with online functionality. The fact that EA is pushing harder than Steam and other competitors, means its more likely that Nintendo will just go "Okay!" and hand it all over to them.

Of course, I'll admit I'm highly pessimistic towards Nintendo and the way they handle their own systems. Sure they make good games, but the consoles always lag behind the rest in terms of functionality for the most part. They'll likely take this offer from EA as a way to jump ahead of the rest, when in fact they are jumping off the side and probably off a cliff.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here