PETA: Mario is Pro Fur

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

As I lack the certain know how to place a picture I shall describe how I fell about this. -ahem-
Tommy Lee Jones is looking at PETA with an implied face palm. Once so intense it's not worth lifting a hand.

CardinalPiggles:
Fuck off PETA, just fuck off.

If Raccoons ever had the chance they would skin us alive in order to survive too.

EXACTLY! Look at them the sneaky bastards they have a natural mask on their faces...

Ah well at least raccoons don't constantly make retarded statements about harmless videogames in pisspoor attempts to garner attention to a cause they are actually hurting... In case I'm being too subtle

EAT MEAT, PLAY VIDEOGAMES AND FUCK PETA

I actually just got done playing that little flash game and, just like PETA's other games, it sucks. You are constantly scrolled and you can jump way too high, so there isn't really much of a challenge once you get used to it. Once you win, you get a censored message that really just says "Fuck you Mario! That skin belongs to the animal". Going out of your way to insult one of gaming's greatest icons is sure to cause gamers to flock to your cause.

Also, I really doubt that PETA actually plays any of these games. If they did, they would be aware of the fact that Mario gets his Tanooki Suit from a magic feather.

Stop wasting our time PETA!

For the love of God. Obama, Gillard, and every other world leader, I will vote for your party in every election from now until I'm senile if you pass a law permanently disbanding these idiots.

Lilani:
I think we should really stop reporting about all the ridiculous stuff PETA gets outraged about. I think by now we all know they're about 12 miles passed crazytown, and at this point any further recognition is just giving them more credit than they deserve.

Indeed!

I would love to see how the world would be if everyone gave PETA the silent treatment permanently.

"GARAHA FICTIONAL ANIMAL RIGHTS VIOLATED BY MARIO GARAHAHA"

Wow the wind's sounding rather irate today. Oh wells.

And the wind sure likes to euthanize animals...

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

I don't know, but I would totally play that.

I'd love to see a lighthearted spoof, the way Team Meat already did when they got attacked by PETA.

Or, if you want to get mean, someone could do a Mario scene with a QTE where he knifes the rat boss from SMB2.

I prefer the light-hearted method....But still.

I forgot about the Team Meat incident. Is PETA so desperate that they're trolling video games now? And who the hell gave them the idea that anyone who plays video games gives a damn? Moviegoers, theater people, video gamers, ect.; crazy is still crazy, no matter who you direct it towards. Maybe the only answer is to hit 'em right back like what Team Meat did. The idea of sending back the message "nobody cares, and look! We're killing more virtual animals in spite of you!" is at the very least entertaining and a good choice if the silent treatment doesn't work.

Beautiful End:
Whoa, PETA...Johnny come lately there. But alright, let me help you out there...

Games that should be banned now (According to PETA):
-Shadow of the Colossus, because you ride a horse. Poor horse!
-Zelda, same reason as above.
-Dragon Age, because your pet licks you clean after a gory battle. What is he, your servant? Gross!
-Red Dead Redemption, because you shoot animals for whatever reason. Just brutal.
-God of War, because you kill mythological creatures violently. No wonder we don't have unicorns anymore!
-Batman, because Batman is probably pro-bat-fur.
-Crash Bandicoot, for showing a furry animal being violent against other animals.
-Battlefield 3, because o-- Wait, what? They already figured that one out? Oh, okay...

Look, PETA, once again, I'm all up for animal rights. But you guys are just a joke now! I can't take you guys seriously anymore and I clearly can't support you. So...have at it. Keep being a joke, if that's your goal.

Let's not forget that in Halo: Reach you get a shiny achievement for killing moas, and people in Minecraft have built things dedicated to the wholesale slaughter of pigs and cows.

The virtual horror...

On a more related note, when did PETA start caring more about virtual animals and less about, you know, real animals...?

I'm pretty sure it was a leaf that spawned the suit in Super Mario Bros 3. No animal-murder involved. PETA needs to stop jumping on non-existent issues and go... Free the monkeys carrying the Rage Virus or something.

Yopaz:

Micalas:
Ok...let me get this straight. Mario has been stomping on turtles for decades and you decide to pass up the low hanging fruit in exchange for complaining about a fur suit (the majority of fur suits aren't made of real fur...) that he acquires by stealing a leaf out of a brick.

Got it.

You're wrong. The Tanooki suit is a special item that can only be acquired at a few points in the game and before you get that suit it actually looks just like the suit he's wearing minus the person inside it. When you got a leaf you just got a raccoon tail.

OK, so why is PETA trying to piss off gamers now? They have made no complaints about games like Deer Hunter or Big Game Hunting in the past. All of a sudden they jump on the games are bad bandwagon. First complaining about how gamers kill an aggressive rat in a game where you kill people, now they are tainting our childhood memories with their gory images of how animals are used for fur. I am starting to suspect they're trying to bring down video games in order to be more popular with main stream media and parents that are hysterical about any violent games. Really PETA, stop with this bullshit. Mario is a lighthearted game that doesn't need you to destroy it.

Oh shit, you're right. My bad. God, I must have so much egg on my face...

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

I don't know, but I would totally play that.

I'd love to see a lighthearted spoof, the way Team Meat already did when they got attacked by PETA.

Or, if you want to get mean, someone could do a Mario scene with a QTE where he knifes the rat boss from SMB2.

I prefer the light-hearted method....But still.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer the lighthearted spoof.

Srs bzns:

Beautiful End:
Whoa, PETA...Johnny come lately there. But alright, let me help you out there...

Games that should be banned now (According to PETA):
-Shadow of the Colossus, because you ride a horse. Poor horse!
-Zelda, same reason as above.
-Dragon Age, because your pet licks you clean after a gory battle. What is he, your servant? Gross!
-Red Dead Redemption, because you shoot animals for whatever reason. Just brutal.
-God of War, because you kill mythological creatures violently. No wonder we don't have unicorns anymore!
-Batman, because Batman is probably pro-bat-fur.
-Crash Bandicoot, for showing a furry animal being violent against other animals.
-Battlefield 3, because o-- Wait, what? They already figured that one out? Oh, okay...

Look, PETA, once again, I'm all up for animal rights. But you guys are just a joke now! I can't take you guys seriously anymore and I clearly can't support you. So...have at it. Keep being a joke, if that's your goal.

Let's not forget that in Halo: Reach you get a shiny achievement for killing moas, and people in Minecraft have built things dedicated to the wholesale slaughter of pigs and cows.

The virtual horror...

On a more related note, when did PETA start caring more about virtual animals and less about, you know, real animals...?

Hipster PETA.

Because real animals are too mainstream.

At this point I think PETA is just trolling everyone.

Woah, guys, hold your damn horses. You're missing the point here: PETA isn't seriously mad at Mario games for having a Tanooki suit, they're just using the Mario comparison as a platform to talk about fur use because Mario's popular. You're crazy if you think this is about "advocating censorship" or whatever.

Do they just want attention? Yes. Is it in bad taste? Somewhat. But is this an attack on videogames or Mario? No, not at all.

And for the record, I thought the game was pretty amusing, at least for a propaganda game. Also, I think PETA's right to an extent, we shouldn't buy fur products when there are equally viable alternatives out there.

*raises flame shield*

Micalas:
pass up the low hanging fruit

Get out of here with your buisiness model power phrases, you office drone. :p

TBH its been pretty much the case for a long time that PETA just pick on these popular things to boost their own campaigns. Will be interesting to see what Nintendo lawyers do when they see that Mario picture though, pretty sure theres a case out of taking a brand icon and warping it like that.

PETA will one day collapse under the weight of their own bullshit.

If PETA is allowed the fiction that they don't kill animals, I'm allowed the fiction of Mario doing whatever it is he does.

After years of consistent assclownery without ever accomplishing anything, it's obvious that their only goal is to receive the kind of coverage they're getting now, and... that's it. Why enable their histrionic tendencies?

There are those who might worry that articles like these only draw attention to PETA all the more. This is true. What is also true is the message that people get from this is not the one PETA is trying to convey, but instead is the one they are actually broadcasting: 'We are batshit insane. Enjoy the skinny naked women we show who don't entirely embrace our ideals, and laugh at our feeble attempts to show compassion for animals as we slaughter them.'

Twilight_guy:
I, erhm, wait, what is this... I don't even... There are no words...

Fail. Failure on so many levels. PETA please remove your head from your ass and go find an issue that actually matters to go protest.

They can go protest the overabundance of cars on the freeway by ranting on the road itself. I will be on the overpass with the popcorn enjoying the gorefest to ensue.

The Gentleman:
Clearly, PeTA needs to go out into the wild and hug some lions. You've been fighting on their side for decades; they'll let you pet them. Don't forget to pet the cubs in full view of the mother.

Trust me, they'll like it...

Makes me think of the ending to Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy(The book. Read it sometime, kids). Best result ever for a group like this. I would share it but I am not one for giving spoilers to stories I really enjoy.

YAY dumb nuts went after a fantasy magical suit in another dimension with a cartoon style.

I thought it was magic, not that he went and skinned a tanuki...

I suppose next NASA will be accusing him of disrupting the gravitational balance of the galaxy by eating stars or that Gargomel sponsors him to make smurfs homeless with his vast mushroom consumption.

Talk about nit picking PETA, no wonder no one takes you seriously. *rolls eyes*

Glass Joe the Champ:
we shouldn't buy fur products when there are equally viable alternatives out there.

Dude I agree, but if anything I find this way of protesting offensive, because it seriously undermines any sort of effort to destroy the fur trade.

No one will take this seriously. The cause of animals rights deserves better than the ridiculousness of PETA. It just makes people reactionary against it...

So, skinning a mythological creature in a video game is a real world problem?

First world solutions for Disney world problems.
gtfo peta

WarpZone:

Sniper Team 4:
Er...shouldn't they have jumped on this a long time ago?

I see what you did there

Wow. Is it bad that I didn't notice it until you pointed it out?

The_root_of_all_evil:
Is there anything you can say to this apart from /facepalm?

Nope, I don't believe there is. Then again, nothing is off-limits to PETA. I'm just surprised they didn't say the Raimi Spider-Man continuity promotes animal cruelty because the spider that bites Peter reacted out of fear and was being experimented on by SICK, DEPRAVED scientists who like to play GOD.

Or something of the sort. Then they'd release a Flash game where gigantic spiders graphically pull apart innocent human victims.

samsonguy920:

Makes me think of the ending to Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy(The book. Read it sometime, kids). Best result ever for a group like this. I would share it but I am not one for giving spoilers to stories I really enjoy.

That ending was unexpected, but very suiting for people like PETA.

Haha, that is awesome.

And we're supposed to take an organization of people who the US Department of Homeland Security and FBI have listed has having ties to domestic terrorists seriously?

PETA has been in bed with the likes of the Earth Liberation Front, one of the largest domestic terrorist groups according to the FBI who are guilty of Assult, arson, firebombing, use/possession of explosives, and attempted murder. In 2002, PETA admitted to funding criminals associated with them.

Oh, and here's the icing on the cake: PETA enjoys an IRS Tax Exempt status as a "501(c)(3)" charity.

[edit]

HAH! Found the info-graphic I was looking for:

http://www.infographicslibrary.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/peta-kills-animals.gif

Funny thing PETA. All those animals we slaughter? If it wasnt for us there wouldnt be so many of them. All Cows/Chickens/Pigs wouldnt survive in the wilds. And I gotta say, between living on a farm for a ten years with food, sleep, grassfields and then being put down painlessly before getting turned into cooked meat and eaten by humans. And having to flee for your life fearing for your very existance for the last minutes of your life on the great plains and then get eaten by a lion while you are still lying down on the ground breathing as the darkness closes down around you. Which food for the predator has the best life? Eh? Eh?

Compared to the free out-in-the-wilds gazelle. Our cows and chickens have it great. Now I dont mean the stacked on top of eachother cows in America. But not everyone mistreat the animals they eat. There is more of the open-grassfield cowfarms than the closed crowded factories.

If that's the case, then so is this adorable baby:

What? That lion suit probably isn't from a real lion and is therefore irrelevant to the fur fashion debate? DON'T ASK QUESTIONS. Just draw the baby with the bloody head of a lion and that automatically makes PETA right.

That child has the obvious leer of a hardened killer and sadist. Your pro-baby nonsense can't evade the lance of truth here, sir.

More seriously, this has the reek of a group of people who act retarded when they're bored or looking for attention all over it. The odor is all the more unfortunate when it's a legitimate, recognized organization.

It was just a matter of time, wasn't it PETA?
One of you just HAD to play Mario on a bored day and gasp in shock and terror as Mario suddenly wore a raccoon suit.

How bored do PETA employees have to be, and do they honestly, HONESTLY think this particular cause if worth fighting for?

How completely ignorant about Japanese mythology. A simple Google search would show this as ignorant.

A suit that looks like an animal does not mean a skinned animal. It's practically just a furry fursuit with magical powers. If anything, it's empowering, and it's just another reference, again, to Japanese mythology/Shinto. Tanuki are shapeshifters, and mario essentially becomes like a shapeshifter when given magical suits, turning him into things like frogs and tanuki.

By this logic, Buffalo Bell and fursuits in general promote animal cruelty.

I don't understand why people hate furries so much. PETA are the real animal hating crazies. I'm a person who's pretty sympathetic to a lot of hardcore pro-animal and pro-environmental causes, and I think PETA are crazy nutjobs.

Glass Joe the Champ:
Do they just want attention? Yes. Is it in bad taste? Somewhat. But is this an attack on videogames or Mario? No, not at all.

And for the record, I thought the game was pretty amusing, at least for a propaganda game. Also, I think PETA's right to an extent, we shouldn't buy fur products when there are equally viable alternatives out there.

Oh, is that what's going on? Well, that's a bit better. You sure? I hope you're right.

Wow, and they're trying to knock down the big dog?

Compared to Cooking Mama, they're just splitting hairs, atleast shes actually using meat (which indirectly means that an animal was killed by someone, but not her, not like she advocates no vegetables), but trying to demonise Mario simply because he looks like a Tanuki? (which is basically a Raccoon Dog) is practically trying to demonize him and could be seen as a backhanded slap to Japan's culture.

I think they're more conscious about the wildlife and the environment that surrounds them, a large number of people in Japan are either Buddhists or followers of Shinto, im pretty sure they acknowledge that an animal was killed to get to their plate and is thankful for their sustenance.

But yeah, Mario is essentially an extremely well known icon at the moment, i seriously doubt it would do things like brutally killing animals (obviously) an interesting point to make that there is next to no meat consumed by Mario in his series, it's usually weird powerups, mushrooms and (in some of the newer games) strange, biologically weird powerups that happens to grow on plants.

The closest things to meat might either be Wacka Bumps, or (in Bowser's Inside Story) Chicken Wings, though the latter is primarily consumable by Bowser only anyway.

I'm going to have to un-say some of the things I've said (or thought) before, so here goes.

This scorning of PeTA by the escapist disproves to me that the gaming community is mindlessly running 'liberal' at everything. They're really only interested in how individual situations treat their cause. That's perfectly reasonable.

Just thought I'd say that a lot of Republicans--and some of the people at Fox news--don't support animal cruelty, but also fight against enviro-terrorists' scheme to make everybody's life suck.

I don't recall ever seeing Mario tear the fur right off of a racoon dog. Ever.

Grey Carter:
When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy-even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.

Yeah. Because it's totally and explicitly the hide of a recently skinned animal. And not just a clever visual representation of him gaining super powers.

Grey Carter:
Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur.

You know what I find the weirdest about this? That they're inexplicably jumping years late on the Mario bandwagon when Skyrim just got released, ie, a game that practically has a medieval big game hunting simulator built into it.

Grey Carter:
The site even features a charming little flash game, in which a skinless tanooki chases a grisly, fur-draped Mario through a nightmarish, blood-soaked version of the mushroom kingdom. The game is sure to delight children everywhere right up until Nintendo's lawyers get wind of it. Other games from the PETA line-up include Super Tofu boy and the Super Chick Sisters.

Know what? I'm not even giving them the page views. That's what they use to validate their existence.

Grey Carter:
Mario first donned the tanooki suit, which is admittedly quite grim when you think about it, back in Super Mario Bros 3, but he retired it in favor of the Cape in Super Mario World. The suit returned, much to the delight of fans, in the recent Super Mario 3D Land. Personally I find it far more disturbing that Mario lives in a land populated with mushroom people yet he has no qualms about eating mushrooms to grow larger, that raises some very difficult questions.

And, of course, PETA doesn't give a shit about all the clearly-much-more-real-than-this-crap turtle stomping that goes on in Mario games. But then again, they're PETA.

So I'm gonna go ahead and decide that PETA are not serious, and have never been serious about anything but euthanesia. Its just better for my blood pressure that I believe my own lie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here