Skyrim is Bethesda's Biggest Game Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Skyrim is Bethesda's Biggest Game Ever

With 3.5 million units sold in just 48 hours, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is officially Bethesda's biggest game ever.

The question was never whether or not Skyrim would be a hit, but just how big a hit it would be. The answer, it turns out, is pretty damn big: Bethesda announced today that of the seven million units shipped worldwide for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, more than half sold within 48 hours.

"We are grateful for the fans' response to Skyrim," said ZeniMax Media Chairman and CEO Robert Altman. "Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Game Studios have crafted a very special game. Anticipation for Skyrim has surpassed any game in our company's history."

"Without a doubt, this has been our most ambitious project ever," added Howard, the game director on Skyrim. "After over three years of development, we're finally excited to get it into everyone's hands."

It's not quite in the league of Modern Warfare 3, which sold twice as many copies in half the time, but it's a hell of an accomplishment nonetheless and especially so for a single-player-only RPG. Skyrim also made a big splash on Steam, where it set a new record with more than 280,000 concurrent players, and it's doing pretty well with critics, too, notching up an aggregate score of 95 on Metacritic.

With the hype it generated from it's first trailer, no big surprise. I love the game, I've already clocked in over 50 hours and there is still much to do.

I picked mine up Monday night and I've gone through 10 hours. it is amazing and hardly a surprise it is doing so well.

I'm glad it's been such a massive hit, especially considering all the effort Bethesda obviously put into making it a great game.

Call me unoriginal, but this is a game that most certainly deserves to be twice as big as MW3. The team at Bethesda are obviously an extremely dedicated lot who love the fantasy universe that they build more of with every game, and their work on the Fallout series, while divisive, was great.

I honestly think it's a shame that Skyrim isn't getting the kind of sales that MW3 is getting, because without a single shadow of a doubt, Skyrim has raised the bar for open-world RPG's in quite a few ways while bringing whole heaps of original work good enough to be regarded as art to the table. MW3, meanwhile, remains a loathsomely uninteractive shooting gallery padded out with pre-scripted and altogether dull cinematic events, reducing the player to the level of mere spectator in a series which started out kind of alright.

Skyrim may have some VERY visible flaws and it's ambitious goals may make it's failings seem all the more noticable, but at least Bethesda understand the importance of letting the player actually, y'know, forge their own experience, and did their level best (and by god, is their best great) to create a world that the player could dive into and enjoy - as opposed to a sequence of barely-interactive events so crushingly stupid you start feeling as though the whole thing is just a parody of itself. Like MW3.

It's a shame that a more talented group of individuals hasn't already stepped forward to try to revitalise the genre, and it's an even bigger shame that the Michael Bay of development studios continues to get huge mountains of undeserved praise and money while other, far better stuios only dream of such success. Hell, even the team behind Metro 2033 deserve some of that sweet sweet praise and recognition.

Yeah, I guess this has become less of a rant about how great Skyrim is and more of a rant about how much I despise what COD has become - not that it started out altogether promising, anyways...

vrbtny:
'tis good too see. I need to get around to getting it, I gave up on Oblivion after 30 minutes due it having no pacing or coherent story. It just sort of dumped you by a river in a enormous world with no indication as to what you were supposed to do next and said "Deal with it."

I really hope Skyrim doesn't do that.

On a side note, File size Skyrim is actually rather small. Only about 6 gigs, which is nice compared to the recent slew of games which have chewed up my Internet connection and my hard-drive space. (Modern Warfare 3(13 gigs), Battlefield 3 (14 gigs) and Rage(20 gigs)

Curse you, overcrowded steam/origin download servers!!

Oblivion immediately told you where to go for the main quest. Did you even press the button for the Journal that showed you all the objectives? Anyway... that's kind of the point of these games, though, to decide whatever you want to do or go looking for other quests. Use your imagination. Fuck the GAME'S expectations, what do YOU Want to do! You gt dumped into the middle of nowhere - do what the game wants (which it's pretty fucking clear about, if you spend 5 seconds actually looking for it) or decide to do whatever you want to do. If you walk into Skyrim expecting the game to slap you on the ass and point you to where it needs you to go, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

If it's any consolation, Skyrim is about 100 times more fleshed-out and interesting than Oblivion, so you'll probably have more fun with it even if you end up stuck in the wilderness. Failing that, you can just follow the one bloke who sticks with you after the intro mission and he'll lead you right into the start of the main quest and give you some info on a fairly significant side-quest, both of which are pretty huge. If you do choose to run off and do your own thing, all you have to do is hang round a couple of towns/do some exploring and you'll immediately run into some leads to chase down. You will have to decide for yourself what you should be doing, though. But yeah, follow that guy who escapses with you when you first break out into the gameworld, he'll lead you to a few worthwhile things.

Protip: Take your time. As enticing as it is to jump into the main quest (and it does kinda grab you by the balls when you start) it's sensible to make sure you do sidequests and a bit of freelance hunting/forging/adventuring so that you level up at a decent rate. If you find yourself with no adequate gear and no gold, then look near any town lumbermill for a chopping block and a woodcutter's axe. once you have the two, you can chop wood for a decent wage for a bit. That should be enough to get you some starting-level questing gear. I think bethesda added the whole wood-chopping thing to make sure players didn't get stuck - I think there are other menial tasks oyu can do for spare gold as well. Once you have starting gear, though, you can just run off and hunt creatures and sell their hides to build up your reseves further.

You will have to go looking for things to do. When you find them they're GREAT and the world is so massive and immersive that simply looking can be quite the experience, but trust me - there's shitloads of content in this game and if you don't deliberately hunt for it then you'll miss half of it. Skyrim is in no hurry whatsoever to wave it's quests in your face and demand you come solve them. Instead, it kinda lounges around smiling at you, inviting you to reach into it's trouser pocke for a surprise. And when you do look you kinda get the feeling that all you'll find is a clammy, greasy cock but instead you get a fistful of awesome candy.

I can't remember where I was going with this.

'tis good too see. I need to get around to getting it, I gave up on Oblivion after 30 minutes due it having no pacing or coherent story. It just sort of dumped you by a river in a enormous world with no indication as to what you were supposed to do next and said "Deal with it."

On a side note, File size Skyrim is actually rather small. Only about 6 gigs, which is nice compared to the recent slew of games which have chewed up my Internet connection and my hard-drive space. (Modern Warfare 3(13 gigs), Battlefield 3 (14 gigs) and Rage(20 gigs)

YOu go Bethesda, Skyrim deserves to sell several million times better than MW3. So yeah MW3, FUS RO DAH TO YOU

sorry no time to comment i'm busy collecting all the brooms and skulls in the game bbl.

ohmigod so many brooms and skulls *(they're EVERYWHERE)*

InterAirplay:
MW3, meanwhile, remains a loathsomely uninteractive shooting gallery padded out with pre-scripted and altogether dull cinematic events, reducing the player to the level of mere spectator in a series which started out kind of alright.

You haven't played Battlefield 3's single-player campaign yet, have you? That abuses the un-interactive scripted sections to no end. I didn't actually think Modern Warfare 3 was that bad on that front, although I still hated any bit of the game where you played as the Americans.

Playing as the Brits was far more fun.

I got sick of American patriotism half-way through the first Modern Warfare.

No surprises here. If only I still had a working PC at home it would be 3.5 million and one.

vrbtny:

They do a good job of giving you a nice line of quests to follow if you don't feel like exploring, and it's certainly not as vague as "I should probably take this amulet to some monastery somewhere." However, I've all but ignored the main quest, because I find exploring the world on my own and having my own adventures far more interesting for now.

yep, this is good news. but not really a suprise. it will probably get a GOTY award which it does deserve.

I wish Wikipedia would make the cost of development of games and the amount made clearly on the page like they do with movies. I wanna compare MW3 with skyrim's development cost and money made, after playing the two games skyrim just feels like it had much more money sunk into it. Thats probably just because MW3 is so shallow though.

Bethesda did an excellent job marketing wise and hyped the game very well. I haven't bought it myself yet, but I will in a few months when I've actually got more spare time.

thiosk:
sorry no time to comment i'm busy collecting all the brooms and skulls in the game bbl.

In case you go to the broom dungeon?

dmase:
I wish Wikipedia would make the cost of development of games and the amount made clearly on the page like they do with movies. I wanna compare MW3 with skyrim's development cost and money made, after playing the two games skyrim just feels like it had much more money sunk into it. Thats probably just because MW3 is so shallow though.

I'd like a better look at this sort of thing too. It just doesn't seem like studios release game budgets.

inb4 people reading the title only and rushing here to post "EXCUSE ME BUT DAGGERFALL BEGS TO DIFFER"
eh, can't say I'm too affected by the news, as I didn't care for the game

Good job Bethesda! I'm enjoying Skyrim a lot (~17hrs?).

One thing I find hard to understand though is how MW3 did so well. $60 expansion pack seems a tad over priced...

thiosk:

If you're gonna do that...might as well get the 90 on Speech.
This way you can sell to just about anyone 'STOLEN' good.

It's not ethical, but I'll be damned if it ain't great for my coinage.

So... why again would they think Mojang's Scrolls as a threat?

InterAirplay:
I'm glad it's been such a massive hit, especially considering all the effort Bethesda obviously put into making it a great game.

Call me unoriginal, but this is a game that most certainly deserves to be twice as big as MW3. The team at Bethesda are obviously an extremely dedicated lot who love the fantasy universe that they build more of with every game, and their work on the Fallout series, while divisive, was great.

Don't forget that MW3 came out before Skyrim, so the people interested in both would probably not buy Skyrim just a few days after getting their insipid shooting gallery fix (not single player, obviously; my totally real GF would be quite disappointed if I lasted as long as that). I don't think those people constitute a large number of "lost sales," but it's worth noting.

That said, Skyrim is amazing! What I appreciate the most was the dedicated dungeon team. Shadowgreen Cavern with its meadow was just gorgeous looking, not so much from the somewhat dated graphics, but the style, and how well it all fit into the fantasy setting...lightyears better than the copypasta of Oblivion's underworld. I love it, I love the quests, I love the voice actors (notice how it's plural now!), I love the setting, and I love the story. It's certainly not perfect, but it is the best game I've played this year. If you haven't tried it yet, go get it! You won't regret it. This game deserves the sales, Bethesda did a superb job!

I'd like to also think that this is down to an amazing marketing campaign. The live action trailer was very well done and surely got me pumped for the game. Infact it was one of the best I've seen.

I'm glad the game is so successful. Now I just wish I was any good at it.

Kysafen:

Trademark law.

'Okay, this game, The Oblivion Scrolls of the Elder is a clear violation of our trademark, make them stop!'
'Is it? Seems there's this game here called 'Scrolls' that you didn't challenge.'
'That's not even close to...'
'So, you can't trademark the name "Scrolls"... and so you don't own that trademark...'
'..what...'
'Which means you can't own Elder Scrolls'
'..what...'
'Which means The Oblivion Scrolls of the Elder can't POSSIBLY be a trademark violation'
'Buh...'
'So that means we own the trade mark 'The Oblivion Scrolls of the Elder''
'Gah...'
'Which means your product, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, is in violation of OUR trademark.'
'ACK...'
'So, you need to pay us for use of that trademark.'
'But it came out years before!'
'Problem, Bethesda?'

And that, sir, is exactly how trademark law works. If you don't defend the small inconsequential stuff, you're gonna be taken by the larger, actually intentional violations.

SirBryghtside:
MW3 only got more sales because they bought out all the advertising. At my local game stores, they've been advertising that non-stop since the 8th, and not a single mention of Skyrim.

Pretty depressing.

I'm sorry to tell you but that's not the only reason MW3 got more sales. The Call of Duty franchise is one of the largest franchises in the world now, and undoubtedly the largest video game franchise to have ever existed and that's not all do to ads. Why is it such a large franchise? Because people love online shooters. And Call of Duty is that one online shooter that you can safely assume that all your shooter friends are going to get.

On a personal note: LOVE SKYRIM! 40+ hours and barely scratched the surface. MW3 can suck my balls.

Why mention MW3 in this article? totally different type of game... and a shite one at that.

Jimijab:
Why mention MW3 in this article? totally different type of game... and a shite one at that.

l2comparison it helps with perspective

vrbtny:

Well, that's kind of the point of Bethesda RPGS; you do what you want, not what the game wants you to. If you don't feel like doing the main quest yet, then don't. Go pillage some dungeons. Join the Mage's Guild. Smuggle some skooma. Punch a mammoth to death. It requires somewhat more imagination than a standard near-rail FPS.

I think anyone can agree that the Skyrim delevopers put a ton more effort into making their game. Honestly, MW3 cut so many corners it's just embaressing...

Skyrim deserves all the credit coming its way.

garrr

misleading title a bit...

but still, good for them, i am enjoying the hell out of skyrim, it is beautiful in many sense of the word.

vrbtny:

InterAirplay:
MW3, meanwhile, remains a loathsomely uninteractive shooting gallery padded out with pre-scripted and altogether dull cinematic events, reducing the player to the level of mere spectator in a series which started out kind of alright.

You haven't played Battlefield 3's single-player campaign yet, have you? That abuses the un-interactive scripted sections to no end. I didn't actually think Modern Warfare 3 was that bad on that front, although I still hated any bit of the game where you played as the Americans.

Playing as the Brits was far more fun.

I got sick of American patriotism half-way through the first Modern Warfare.

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! HERE TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKIN DAY!

OT: Good, Skyrim deserves it and so does the team at Bethesda. Skyrim is possibly the single best RPG I have ever played.

I am disappointed in Skyrim and have chosen to boycott it, since for the 3rd straight Elder Scrolls game Bethesda has failed to give us cloaks and capes!

...Really though I'm giving it a month for a PC patch or two to come out, though I am seriously disappointed that I can't have a cape. What kind of fantasy setting doesn't have capes? That's just lazy!

Kysafen:

Because it's entirely possible that Mojang would have trademarked the word "scrolls" and attempt to sue Bethesda because of it's use in the TES title. I don't think they ever thought it would detract from sale.

OP: Before anyone mentions Daggerfall, I'd like to point out that the majority of it's map was empty and randomly generated. It's why they set III in Morrowind; it was small and isolated, and let them pay much more attention to detail than in previous titles. Anway, it's good to see Skyrim get the attention it deserves, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit concerned by it. We should probably remember that MW3, one of the most shameless re-releases I've ever seen, was a sequel to the excellent COD4. I think it's fair to worry about a series as fantastic as TES go the same way, although it's community does seem significantly more intelligent than the adrenaline, sexually repressed, teenage boys COD4's success unfortunately attracted to the series.

Look at that. A game with no multiplayer of any sort or online pass to "protect" it from used sales and it's set to be the second most successful game of the entire year.

In you're face publishers who think you NEED multiplayer to be successful. And yes, it is an entirely different game from Modern Warfare 3 and for a very different market. But that just helps my point. You can be a huge success by selling to markets other than the shooter market.

Doubt any will realize this though. And will just keep adding pointless multiplayer to justify online passes to their games for years to come.

It certainly deserves all the positive attention it's getting. It's damn fantastic.

Warlord211:
AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! HERE TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKIN DAY!

Indeed.

I know players from COD that have traded it in JUST to see what Skyrim was all about...and they love it, in fact i'm pretty sure they are not touching another COD game again... (Yeh whatever xD )

But yeh, this game is awesome, first Elder Scrolls game i actually like! (Morrowind made me feel sick and Oblivion got boring after the Prison)

Speaking of Skyrim...time to wake my Argonian up and go treasure hunting.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here