2011 Spike Video Game Award Nominees Announced

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

2011 Spike Video Game Award Nominees Announced

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards nominees.

The Spike VGAs are always an interesting event. "Interesting" can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, of course, so perhaps I'll just toss out the nominees in a few noteworthy categories and let the matter speak for itself.

Game of the Year

• Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive/Rocksteady Studios)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo)
  • Portal 2 (Valve)
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)

Studio of the Year

• Bethesda Game Studios
  • Naughty Dog
  • Rocksteady Studios
  • Valve

Best Shooter

• Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts/DICE)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision/Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer Games)
  • Gears of War 3 (Microsoft Studios/Epic Games)
  • Rage (Bethesda Softworks/Id Software)

Best RPG

• Dark Souls (Namco Bandai/Fromsoftware)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Square Enix/Eidos Montreal)
  • Dragon Age II (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)

Best Xbox 360 Game

• Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive/Rocksteady Studios)
  • Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft Studios/Turn 10 Studios)
  • Gears of War 3 (Microsoft Studios/Epic Games)
  • Portal 2 (Valve)

Best PlayStation 3 Game

• Infamous 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment/Sucker Punch)
  • Killzone 3 (Sony Computer Entertainment/Guerrilla Games)
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment/Media Molecule)
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)

Best PC Game

• Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts/DICE)
  • Minecraft (Mojang)
  • The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Atari/CD Projekt)
  • Portal 2 (Valve)

There are plenty of other categories but I think this mix nicely captures the confusion and puzzlement that is the Spike VGAs. Deus Ex vying for best RPG? The Witcher 2 not vying for Best RPG? Rage vying for... well, anything at all? [It's up for Best Graphics, too.] I'll admit that I don't have any idea how the nominating process works, nor how it is that Portal 2 and Arkham City are up for Game of the Year and Best Xbox 360 Game but not Best PlayStation 3 game, but I suspect that even if somebody explained it to me I'd still be entirely baffled by some of these choices.

The 2011 VGAs will also see The Legend of Zelda become the first-ever addition to the Spike Video Game Hall of Fame. "It is only natural to start with Zelda," said Geoff Keighley, Spike executive in charge of publisher relations. "The Legend of Zelda is a franchise that inspired many of us to see the potential of games when it debuted 25 years ago, one that has successfully transitioned from one game console generation to the next and has continually shown the narrative and artistic potential of the medium."

The 2011 Spike Video Game Awards go down live at 8 pm on December 10, on Spike TV, MTV2 and Spike.com. See you there, bro!

I think they just proved to the world how obsolete their current system is.

So, they nominate Dragon Age 2 for best RPG, but not Witcher 2?

And WWE All Stars for best fighting game, but not the newest BlazeBlue?

What the fuck is this, the Spike VGA's? Oh... it is. Well, that explains it.

Why are multiplatform games being nominated in platform specific categories? The only one that makes sense up there is the PS3 category.

Going by their abysmal ratings last year the real bloody question is: Why should we care?

I'll give the scream awards something though

I like Zelda series, I really do, but how is Skyward Sword nominated for GOTY already?

Not out yet, comes out on Friday.

Bit odd that Witcher 2 isn't nominated for best RPG, but else I can't say there's too much "wrong" with the list. :p

Wait I may have this wrong but...

The first game they are putting into a hall of fame is the ONE console they don't even have a category for?

Please tell me I'm wrong on this Chalk. Where is the best Nintendo game category?

Yep that's a nice and confusing mix... but you know what? On single-player campaign alone RAGE actually is my shooter of 2011, despite the ending, I thought it was thoroughly more enjoyable than the entirely linear trawl between set pieces that the other 3 were.

I swear, they just pin up names on a wall and throw darts to come up with the nominees. When are we going to get an awards show that we can actually respect and has sensible categories? Like EC said, we need our own Oscars. But better because there won't be bleeding heart idiots using an acceptance speech to get up on their soapbox.

Irridium:

And WWE All Stars for best fighting game, but not the newest BlazeBlue?

The newest BlazBlue is actually inferior as a fighting game to WWE All Stars, sadly.

well how about some predictions
game of the year: Arkham city
studio of the year: lets be hopeful and say valve
best shooter: COD
best RPG: skyrim
best xbox game: gears 3
best ps3: uncharted
best pc: minecraft if they're just morons, battlefield 3 if they're genuinly bat shit retarded like I think they are.

I don't think very highly of the whole production.

And this is why I never cared for them in the first place, and why is The Witcher 2 not in the best RPG category? That doesn't make any bloody sense!

Oh wait, never mind, I answered by own question.

EDIT: I know I'm sick, but how the hell did I manage to misspell RPG?

Fiz_The_Toaster:
And this is why I never cared for them in the first place, and why is The Witcher 2 not in the best RGP category? That doesn't make any bloody sense!

I know, what's an RGP? Routine Gaming Platform? Robust Geriatric Plumbing?

Portal 2, Arkham City, and Skyrim Have a showdown. OH GAWD, THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT!

Does anyone find it funny that half the 360 category is made of multiplatform games?

Tenmar:
Wait I may have this wrong but...

The first game they are putting into a hall of fame is the ONE console they don't even have a category for?

Please tell me I'm wrong on this Chalk. Where is the best Nintendo game category?

There is a wii category I believe, it just wasn't listed in the article. Andy Chalk cut a few out to save space, there are loads of the buggers.

Andy Chalk:
*snip*

Hey man, can we get a link to the full list of awards and nominees? Also, could you edit in the timezone at which the awards will be played out? I'm guessing it's 8pm US Central or something.

Many thanks, dude!

The Graphicspoll is probably the biggest joke I've seen this year.

- Batman: Arkham City
- L.A. Noire
- Rage
- Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3 certainly belongs here but in a year with Crysis 2, The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 you can't stop wonder what blind fuckwits make up the Spike panel.

..How the fuck did Dragon Age 2 get into the Best RPG category for nominee's, yet Witcher 2 did not?! Witcher 2 should have easily gotten both spots, despite my like (though less than) for Dragon Age 2.

Also, I would add The Old Republic to that list as well, if there was an MMO spot (yes, I'm a beta tester, I actually have an informed opinion on the game - not a fanboy). But it's still just coming out of beta for final release, so I guess that disqualifies it.

I, however, would most definitely agree with Arkham City and Skyrim being up there, naturally.

Soviet Heavy:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
And this is why I never cared for them in the first place, and why is The Witcher 2 not in the best RGP category? That doesn't make any bloody sense!

Oh shit sorry, I'm sick and briefly got dumb. RPG I mean, God, I shouldn't type when I'm sick.

Robust Geriatric Plumbing is really funny though.

The process to select nominees is actually quite simple. It's a mixture of bribery and whatever they think will appeal to the insultingly stereotypical male that makes up their target audience.

damn, this really bad. deaus ex is a RPG contender, but witcher 2 isn't? and i find the best studio award lame aswell, becuase we all know they only look at the product, but not to the support for the community which i find way more important.

and i just know that the list was already done months ago, but now that 2 major contenders are released (skyrim and LoZ) they can announce it without trouble.

and this is just me, but is it not better to do show like this AFTER the end of the year? i always have the feeling some games are missing out.

Um... where is the Nintendo category?

Soviet Heavy:

At the weekends, I do like to participate in a spot of Robust Geriatric Plumbing. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, my guesses for these categories are:

GotY: Skyward Sword (as they will have to show some Nintendo love somewhere, surely?)
SotY : Valve
Shooter: COD (or Battlefield 3 for the leftfield choice)
RPG : Skyrim
360: Gears 3
PS3: Uncharted
PC: Minecraft

Not necessarily what I would choose, just some thoughts on how it might go.

Also, isn't it at thse awards we are meant to find out what Biowares upcoming post-apocalyptic car crash sim cum squad-based FPS is all about?

Lordmarkus:

- L.A. Noire
- Rage
- Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3 certainly belongs here but in a year with Crysis 2, The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 you can't stop wonder what blind fuckwits make up the Spike panel.

I'm guessing L.A. Noire made it up there due to their facial expression technology (which I didn't think much of myself, but howdy-doody-doo). Haven't actually played Arkham City, so I can't speak for that, and from what I've heard Rage shouldn't be up there. Uncharted 3 is undeniably gorgeous though.

Witcher 2 is on that list because of boobies and nothing else. Was it a good RPG, yes, but is that why they made sure it was on there, no.

Pandering to young white substance abusing Alpha male audience. All you have to do is watch an episode of Manswers to see that, Oh Spike tv... Nice how Portal 2 is on both PC and xbox 360. Even funnier that Minecraft is on that list. Not that it doesn't deserve it, but you would think Spike wouldn't even dare to touch that game or Little Big Planet 2 with a ten foot pole. Since they certainly have an "Xtreme" quota.

ShadowsofHope:
..How the fuck did Dragon Age 2 get into the Best RPG category for nominee's, yet Witcher 2 did not?! Witcher 2 should have easily gotten both spots, despite my like (though less than) for Dragon Age 2.

Also, I would add The Old Republic to that list as well, if there was an MMO spot (yes, I'm a beta tester, I actually have an informed opinion on the game - not a fanboy). But it's still just coming out of beta for final release, so I guess that disqualifies it.

I, however, would most definitely agree with Arkham City and Skyrim being up there, naturally.

Why should TOR be disqualified? Skyward Sword isn't out yet either.

That list is... bizarre.

Then I remember this is Spike we're talking about, and stop caring.

i think ditch the exclusive platform entries (or at least change them to platforms which have real differences, like the handhelds.
Bring in some different genres too.
I can't see an indie section either.
Which would be the section of the market most needing of attention would it not.

FLAWED.

The only thing that surprised me is that they didn't put MW3 in the GOTY category like they would for every COD, also lol at DA2 nomination.

Andronicus:

Lordmarkus:

- L.A. Noire
- Rage
- Uncharted 3

I'm guessing L.A. Noire made it up there due to their facial expression technology (which I didn't think much of myself, but howdy-doody-doo). Haven't actually played Arkham City, so I can't speak for that, and from what I've heard Rage shouldn't be up there. Uncharted 3 is undeniably gorgeous though.

Is that across all platforms?? Rage should not be up there. At all. BF3 should instead because even if it's not scenic, it sure looks great in DX11. I'm rather surprised Witcher 2 isn't on that list either, that game looked fantastic.

LA Noire on PS3 anyway looked pretty bad. I did like the realism of the facial expressions (especially as I play Skyrim and see all the cardboard NPCs) but overall the graphics were pretty much a 6/10. Very bland. Mafia 2 was a lot nicer I think.

Also are these awards also beeing delivered by football stars and actors that took no part in the games and/ or poor excuse of a Rapper, along with some actress that did small internet clips about games or fantasy related content?

Soviet Heavy:
Why are multiplatform games being nominated in platform specific categories

Because there aren't enough worthwhile 360 exclusives from this year. You think they should have included the Halo remake?

Guys, the VGAs are bullshit. You should've seen it last year. Honestly, it's disgrace that this is all we have when there are the Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, etc. Basically, it's like the MTV awards of games.

They really should just drop the pretense of an award show and just call it what it is. "The Spike Video Game Marketing and Washed up Celebrity Bonanza"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here