Mass Effect 3 Story Leaked, BioWare Accepting Feedback

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 Story Leaked, BioWare Accepting Feedback

BioWare is taking the gaffe in stride by taking the leak as an opportunity for constructive criticism.

The conclusion to the Mass Effect story is hotly anticipated by gamers. No one outside of the BioWare headquarters in Edmonton knows how the final game's conflict with the Reapers will play out - at least, no one did before the beta code was leaked last Monday. Microsoft unintentionally allowed the download as part of the Xbox dashboard update and quickly pulled it down when the mistake was discovered, but not before details concerning the different game modes made its way online.

Not only that, but a Russian fansite (Bioware.ru) spent time tinkering with the file and discovered significant story information in Mass Effect 3. After initially being crushed about the possibility of spoilers and making sure people realize that the story is still being revised, BioWare cofounder Ray Muzyka said they are open to feedback from the community on how it all turns out and the more exposure is a good thing. Right?

"In the big picture, some more stories are generated around it and more interest in the game," Muzyka said of the leak. "It's hard to say something like that having a positive benefit, but if it gets more people to check out Mass Effect 3 that would be a positive benefit."

Would they make changes based on people's reaction tothe leaked story? "We listen to our fans all of the time," Muzyka said. "We listen to them on the forums, their feedback from stories. We're reading it all. If we can get ideas out of it that will make the game better, sure. We're not averse to taking feedback. That's part of our core values, is humility. Any time we get a good idea from fans ... they're our audience. They keep us in business."

Muzyka said the writing team working on the game were saddened by the leak. "It was disappointing for them, yeah. They're moving on. They're making a great game. The script, frankly, has changed a little bit from what was released, too. It's been edited. They're always tuning it. They're always making it better. But yeah, it's tough when you see your work displayed. You realize only a small number of people are probably going to look at those spoilers in advance."

He urged fans not to read the story that's been leaked because discovering it organically is what makes the game. "What I would suggest to the fans is ... Don't spoil the story," he said. "The fun of the story is uncovering things and exploring and finding new points to adventure in. I hope they don't lose that joy of discovery."

Source: Eurogamer

Is there a link to the leaked story somewhere?

Uhh, Escapist, you do realise that this has been LITERALLY all that's been discussed on the BSN for the past 2 weeks?
Either way, sad to hear it, luckily the site has been effectively spoiler-proofed for the time being.

It's a good job the Escapist is my only gaming related website, because you can guarantee that spoilers will be all over the likes of IGN, Gamespot etc.

This is why I have stopped checking on any of the Mass Effect stories.

He urged fans not to read the story that's been leaked because discovering it organically is what makes the game. "What I would suggest to the fans is ... Don't spoil the story," he said. "The fun of the story is uncovering things and exploring and finding new points to adventure in. I hope they don't lose that joy of discovery."

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing, yep. People whom have spoiled the story plots for themselves already can give what feedback they can, of course, but Mass Effect 3 us going to be an entirely fresh (in terms of plot and character fates beyond official releases, that is) experience for me come March. Any other way, and I'd just ruin it for myself.

Thank you, Escapist staff, for leaving out any spoilers from your reporting. It's appreciated, you can hardly go anywhere in terms of Mass Effect 3 info on the web now without running into unwanted spoilers, unfortunately..

And now temptation has been implanted within my mind, i feel like Eve and the Apple, Must. Resist. Temptation.

I haven't even watched most trailers or read any news about it. I want to keep the experience as fresh as possible. So, I'm definitely not going to read the biggest spoiler that is available.
Sucks for the writers though.

How cute... NOW they want feedback. They'll need it though, with some of the downright completely f#$%ing stupid choices made. Like ooh... remember those few times in Mass Effect 1 and 2 where you had to make a major choice that would completely alter the presence of species in the universe? INVALIDATED. Either way you chose, it comes out into the Reapers advantage, even if said choice was meant to AVOID giving the Reapers an advantage.

Andronicus:

Apparently Bioware was so butthurt over this, that there has been letters sent around to force sites to remove any and all content relating to the leak, that's what I've found so far. Topics I was seeing have been completely erased, NeoGaf was forced to remove leaks as well. THOUGH! The leaks themselves are still out there, managed to find some links for them, be happy to pm them to those who want to have the story spoiled, just pm me.

I'd like to take a moment and say that I am someone that has NOT read any of these alleged spoilers.... so nothing has been spoiled for me yet. I will continue to try to avoid such spoilers.

So let's not try to ruin it for everyone else and start casually discussing these spoilers as if everyone knows, and as if it's perfectly fine... anything discussing these leaked story points should still contain a "**SPOILERS**" of some kind before discussing.

...I know.. It's too much to ask...

P.S. Bioware... I like you and all. But please stop asking fans for feedback... they don't know what's good either. Make you game the way you meant to make it.

Am I the only one who's really concerned that they're five months from shipping and they're still hammering out final story details?

Feedback?! WHY WOULD YOU ASK FOR FEEDBACK?!

Hopefully they don't take too much fan feedback into account where the main story is concerned, if it were any other dev i'd be alright with it. But Bioware seems to not realise that their fans aren't professional writers.

And goddammit how difficult is it to not leak your game? It's November for christ's sake you release in March. I punch those numbers into my calculator it makes a sad face

I guess this is the best that BioWare can do in this situation. When life gives you a story leak, make a better story! I, for one, remain blissfully ignorant of the leaks, and am happy to stay that way. No more traipsing over to the BioWare forums until Mass Effect 3 is done!

The Wykydtron:
Feedback?! WHY WOULD YOU ASK FOR FEEDBACK?!

Hopefully they don't take too much fan feedback into account where the main story is concerned, if it were any other dev i'd be alright with it. But Bioware seems to not realise that their fans aren't professional writers.

BioWare is the one holding the pen, not the fans who chose to spoil themselves on an unfinished story. I'm sure that plenty of those fans will make completely asinine suggestions, like wanting Shepard to charge in against Harbinger while duel-wielding laser miniguns and riding a bearshark. I'm sure that the BioWare writers, who are quite better at their jobs than a bunch of impatient fans, will be able to separate the good from the bad. And even if they do, there's nothing forcing them to co-opt those suggestions.

The Wykydtron:
And goddammit how difficult is it to not leak your game? It's November for christ's sake you release in March. I punch those numbers into my calculator it makes a sad face

Captain Anderson: "That's Micosoft's fault, not BioWare's!"

So if I give feedback then I have to spoil the story for myself? How does that work anyway?

Then again, I'll let others make this sacrifice for all of us... let's hope Bioware know what suggestions are good ideas. *crosses both fingers*

this is actually old but well. i dint bother to read it. i dont want to spoil my self. i want to play the game and see what i can do. but at the moment origin is stopping me from getting the game.

It's no surprise that Bioware is asking for feedback. The leaked story can only be described as an absolute mess.

It really does seem like Bioware is trying to ruin its reputation among the players who made them as large as they are today.

Flying-Emu:
It's no surprise that Bioware is asking for feedback. The leaked story can only be described as an absolute mess.

It really does seem like Bioware is trying to ruin its reputation among the players who made them as large as they are today.

Tell me about it. I was pissed when reading that story. Just... god dammit Bioware. You're better than this, I know it.

Suppose I should offer my feedback, if they're asking. Just got to find where to start...

Not going to look... NOT GOING TO LOOOOOK!!!

Irridium:

Tell me about it. I was pissed when reading that story. Just... god dammit Bioware. You're better than this, I know it.

Suppose I should offer my feedback, if they're asking. Just got to find where to start...

So many possibilities there.

I suppose it's a bit too much to hope that the talk of the story being changed from the leaked version isn't just PR fluff.
It's nice of them to take suggestions though, but the game has to be near finished at this point, one wonders how much of a change the suggestions would make.

Andronicus:

http://pastebin.com/KYJNWGug

Read at your own peril :P

Does that mean they're going to re-work it completely?

I'll wait a whole another year for it if it means no more emails and...other spoiled things.

It seems like a lot of people don't quite understand why those who have read the spoilers are so unhappy about them.

The spoilers seem to show that Bioware has lost its head and gives plot twists that are completely dumb, fuck over a bunch of choices from previous games, and kills off a lot of beloved characters in completely stupid ways. The way Bioware is responding is likely because there seems to be a fan outcry over it. If the spoilers were good then I doubt there would be as much controversy.

Take for example MW3's plot was leaked months before it came out. Sure you may laugh, but no one gave a flip because well it's Modern Warfare we're talking about. No one cared about the goodness or badness of the plot. But when we talk about ME 3, this is Bioware we're talking about. And Bioware which has increasingly made itself suspect since Dragon Age 2 came out.

I don't think people should go read the spoilers if they don't want to, but they shouldn't criticize fans who are upset about what the plot elements that the spoilers reveal. It's not a pretty sight.

My advice, stop copying Battlestar Galactica, and get back to ripping off Anachronox. Mass Effect was at it's best when it reminded me the adventure trough space and possibly time of Sly Boots and the gang.

I haven't read the leaked story, but the vague hints I've seen mentioned here is certainly starting to worry me a fair bit. Hopefully it's just a case of "lacking context" and that whatever was genuinely bad ends up getting fixed. Though given it isn't that long left until the game's release, I admit I dont have much faith in them.

That said... now tempted to check out the leaked story heh.

I saw all the comments that the story was shit, decised to see for myself. Less than 100 lines in, it's obvious that having it spoiled won't be a problem at all.

Bioware, get your act together.

Honestly, the leaks i've read, and i've read nearly all of them, have re affirmed my faith in the game. To be completely honest, i was starting to lose intrest in ME3. Everything released up too the point of the big leak wasn't building any intrest in the game for me. All the focus on combat improvements, the announcment of MP, it *seemed* the dev's focus IMO was misplaced, and they were missing the POINT of what the fans wanted in ME3, an epic story.

Sure i understand the desire to keep the story underwraps, but, since i've not got a pretty good idea of what the scale of the game will be, I'm intrested again. REALLY intrested. Pumped even. If all the stuff in the spoilers is true, then the game seems to me to have some real meat to it, story wise, thus, my annoyince over the combat focus and MP is greatly lessened.

As for taking fan feedback into account for there "STORY" elements, i'm not sure what i think about that. Gameplay stuff, sure, but don't compermise your vision and story. That just seems... wrong to me. The story is there's to tell, it, to me, seems something that should be off limits to the fans. We've enjoyed the story so far... let them finish it. And that's inspite of the fact there are a few details in the leak i didn't LIKE, but it's not my place to "fix" someone elses story to suit MY likings. I hope they, in general, ignore story imput and keep to their vision.

cursedseishi:
How cute... NOW they want feedback. They'll need it though, with some of the downright completely f#$%ing stupid choices made. Like ooh... remember those few times in Mass Effect 1 and 2 where you had to make a major choice that would completely alter the presence of species in the universe? INVALIDATED. Either way you chose, it comes out into the Reapers advantage, even if said choice was meant to AVOID giving the Reapers an advantage.

Andronicus:

Apparently Bioware was so butthurt over this, that there has been letters sent around to force sites to remove any and all content relating to the leak, that's what I've found so far. Topics I was seeing have been completely erased, NeoGaf was forced to remove leaks as well. THOUGH! The leaks themselves are still out there, managed to find some links for them, be happy to pm them to those who want to have the story spoiled, just pm me.

You couldn't possible know in ME 1 or ME 2 what the consquince of your actions would BE in ME3. It's impossible to have known how to AVOID helping the reapers.

BUT, if what i've read is true, both choices lead to the SAME result, so, it wasn't REALLY a choice now was it? Granted, in biowares defence, they are trying to make a game that has dozens of possible veariables AND still be accessiable and playable by new players as well... that... ALOT, as in, a metric ton of possible play paths, and concequinces. Bioware, IMO, over reached in there goal, as what they wanted to do, and said they were going to do, is nearly impossible. There are just to many veriables that would need to be accounted for, and the dev's would have ended up having to write, voice act, and code HUNDREDS of different and branching stories.

Well, Muzyka has reacted properly imo. Professional, non-combative and progressive -- although the claims that Bioware caused the material to be removed really does sully that impression.

Of course, it mitigates fans stumbling over spoilers, so in this case I can't say I object.

As a side note, as a (self-)proclaimed and affirmed sci-fi geek I'm pretty sure the story will suck. Not exactly novel territory here and it's been done better ....

Kingsnake661:

As for taking fan feedback into account for there "STORY" elements, i'm not sure what i think about that. Gameplay stuff, sure, but don't compermise your vision and story. That just seems... wrong to me. The story is there's to tell, it, to me, seems something that should be off limits to the fans. We've enjoyed the story so far... let them finish it. And that's inspite of the fact there are a few details in the leak i didn't LIKE, but it's not my place to "fix" someone elses story to suit MY likings. I hope they, in general, ignore story imput and keep to their vision.

Agree with this even if i ain't exactly thrilled about some of what i've read.

From what i read, reliance on virmire style decisions (choose character/faction a over character/faction b) seems rather cheap to me and is likely something i could bitch about, but don't feel it would be right to march on in the bioware forums and demand they add in alternative solutions. It's their story, and we all know that when fans get involved in regards to how the story goes, it usually ends in tears.

Frankster:

Agree with this even if i ain't exactly thrilled about some of what i've read.

From what i read, reliance on virmire style decisions (choose character/faction a over character/faction b) seems rather cheap to me and is likely something i could bitch about, but don't feel it would be right to march on in the bioware forums and demand they add in alternative solutions. It's their story, and we all know that when fans get involved in regards to how the story goes, it usually ends in tears.

Agree, but I still wish they could have pulled off the hundreds of different end game scenarios that they wanted to do. It was an ambitious Project to have a a game trilogy with different payoffs for the choices that were taken over all 3. It really would have been nice.

Pandalisk:
And now temptation has been implanted within my mind, i feel like Eve and the Apple, Must. Resist. Temptation.

I hear ya! Portal 2 was the first game I played without spoiling myself silly first and I never wanna turn back! But... Bioware says they'll be accepting crits... And I want to find out if they have a good reason for The Illusive Man suddenly betraying you after pouring all of those resources into you and your team and knowing you both want ultimately the same thing...

After reading part of the leaked story, I fail to see the problem many other people have. Although this seems to happen EVERY TIME a Bioware game comes out.

Frankster:

http://pastebin.com/KYJNWGug

Read at your own peril :P

Thank you.

I read a little of the spoilers, just until things got a little 'deep'

However, I do not to comment on one item - not heavy a spoiler but;

"Don't spoil the story"...Why do I only see "There's a huge plot twist in there".

I thought Mass Effect 3 was released a while ago? Guess not.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here