Say Hello to Baby Dovahkiin

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Say Hello to Baby Dovahkiin

A couple of die-hard Elder Scrolls fans have claimed the prize in Bethesda's "Name Your Baby Dovahkiin" challenge.

You might recall that back in February, Bethesda put forth an awesome challenge with an awesome prize: anyone who had a child born on November 11, 2011, and who named that child "Dovahkiin," which means "Dragonborn" in Skyrim's draconic language, would be given Steam keys for every game Bethesda has ever made [limited to those available through Steam, naturally] and, even cooler, for every game Bethesda ever makes in the future. That's a pretty sweet prize for something as simple as saddling your kid with the worst name since Sue [or possibly Obi-Wan] and sure enough, somebody's laid claim to it.

Megan and Eric Kellermeyer revealed on their webcomic site 56shards.com and also through official documents sent to Bethesda the birth of Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer, who came into this world at 6:08 pm on 11/11/11 at a healthy 8.5 pounds and 19.5 inches. "Mama and baby are doing perfect. The doctor said it was a perfect delivery," Eric wrote. "Our daughter Kyari is very excited to have a baby brother."

Congratulations to the proud parents and best of luck to little Dovahkiin, too. Here's hoping you grow up to thank your parents for the gravel in your guts and the spit in your eye, and if that doesn't work out, you can always fall back on Tom.

Source: Bethesda Blog

Ahhhh yes. I was wondering if anyone would claim this reward.

Well kid, all I can say is "Good luck, you're gonna need it"

Luckiest.
Child.
Ever.
I'm so jealous.

I wonder what "Dovahkiin" would shorten out to.

My guess is "Keen."

hazabaza1:
Luckiest.
Child.
Ever.
I'm so jealous.

Yeah, the bullying as a kid and the weird looks whenever he does anything official (job appliactions, legal documents, passport control, bank accounts, etc.) for the rest of his life is really gonna be a whale of a time.

Why make his first name Dovahkiin?
It was just to name the kid it. Not necessarily the first name. You could have made any of his middle names it..

But now, he is Dovahkiin.
Thanks alot, mom and dad.

6_Qubed:

My guess is "Keen."

My guess is 18 years of being bullied.

Wow, someone actually did this, I wonder if they'll change his name once they get the rewards?

Edit: Also if that picture is to be believed the parents have two copies of Skyrim, one for PC and one for Xbox 360, excessive much?

Honestly given some of the names I've seen popping up in the last 5 or so years for kids, this isn't so bad.

That poor bastard. Im guessing he'll be homeschooled then.

Considering their other child is named Kyari - this isn't too much of a step up. Can easily be shortened to Dova as well.

Although, what really surprises me is the boy's middle name. Tom. Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer. How out of place does that seem?

Seeing as they've got a website, I can imagine this will generate a lot of extra traffic - and therefore I see no inherent difference between this and the parents that force their kids into early acting 'careers' etc for monetary gain. Both exploitation, with both having some degree of negative impact on the child's well being.

Woodsey:

6_Qubed:

My guess is "Keen."

i was just thinking that

Well, everyone is going to call him Tom anyway, so it's not this much of a deal. And if someone sees that his first name is Dovahkiin they'll just think it's Russian.

Headlines in a week: "Parents neglect baby for playing too much videogames."

You know they can change the name afterward, like 5 years later or so.

Woodsey:

6_Qubed:

My guess is "Keen."

Well yeah, obviously. But kids are vicious little fuckers. If they couldn't find some clever angle to make fun of his name, they'd just call him "faggot" or something.

Wow, what a great deal! Every Bethesda game ever made, for free, and all you have to give up in return is YOUR CHILD'S LOVE AND RESPECT.

If I were that kid, I'd probably just tell people I was named after my German grandfather. Assuming he doesn't live anywhere near Germany. Actual Germans probably wouldn't fall for it.

"So, dad, why is my name Dovahkiin?"

"SON, IT'S BECAUSE I WANTED VIDEO GAMES."

Woodsey:

6_Qubed:

My guess is "Keen."

He can just shout them away, right?

FOOS-ROH!

Electric Alpaca:

Although, what really surprises me is the boy's middle name. Tom. Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer. How out of place does that seem?

It's probably supposed to be a name that he can fall back onto. If he doesn't like his first name, then he can simply have people call him by his middle name.

I don't think this will be such a big deal for the kid. Today, there's atleast three kids in every class with a "weird" name, atleast where I live. And there is such a thing as a name-change, if worse comes to worse.

so does anyone really think they are ever going to call him Dovahkiin?
the kids name is Tom and everyone will call him Tom and when he is 18 he will just cut it.
a lot of people i know ended up using one of their middle names for name signs and such.

wooty:
That poor bastard. Im guessing he'll be homeschooled then.

I will say most likely he will be send into the wild, to some day be caught by authorities and be asked to name itself.

The gamer in me thinks "Kinda cool".

The son in me thinks "Man, am I glad my parents didn't pick my name based off a video-game contest".

That baby...he's just too red. Forget the name, I'd be more worried about him looking like a tomato all his life. Unless it's just the camera, in which case we can go back to worrying about the name.

It going to be awkward when he ask his parent why they had name him after a computer game character with their respond to being able to win the prize of free future games from game company in a competition.

The news headlines will be interesting.

"Child shouts down bullies on school playground, 6 dead"

Veloxe:
Honestly given some of the names I've seen popping up in the last 5 or so years for kids, this isn't so bad.

That was my first though. When there are people naming their children after STD's, Dovahkiin doesn't seem too bad.

Dohvakiin Kellermeyer. That's a tongue-twister if I ever heard one.

"Yeah, it's spelled d-o-h-v-a-k-i-i-n. Yeah, it's the name of a hero from some 20 year old video game. I know it sounds stupid, sir. What do you mean you can't give me the job."

Guessing the Kid will be known to all except closest friends as Tom, will probably bring the fact of his first name up in every argument he ever has with his parents and will have a great story to tell friends or to get drinks at pubs with.

Beyond that i dont see it making much difference to his life.

And this is why parenting needs licensing.
"Hey, let's use our child to get free games!!!! We are going to be the best parents EV0R!"

Sick.

In the future, he will lead us against the dragons, and bandits, and evilness.

That kid is going to put up with so much shit as he grows up.
Doubly so, when his peers realize what his name is specifically tied to.

I can only imagine being in his position some 10 years from now:
"They named me this to get 100 bucks worth of a video game and swag? WHAT THE FUCK?"

But hey, I'd take on a cool name consensually if it didn't jeopardize my standing in society (and all future employment opportunities; people judge. Professionals judge more).

I feel sorry for that kid. The parents named him that for some STEAM games. Granted I'm not saying it wouldn't be as bad if they actually owned the games but still. Makes it seem even worse.

Wait, what is with the bully posts? Why would he be bullied?

By the time he gets to kindergarden, 4-5 years will have passed. 4-5 year olds don't play Skyrim and they'll think it's a Serbian name or something. "Dovahkiin" is exotic, but it isn't something like naming your kid "Megatron" or "Darth Vader".

When he gets to Elementary school, kids still won't be playing Skyrim. I doubt people in grades 2-6 would play an old RPG they'll probably never have heard of.

When he gets to Highschool, Skyrim will be so far behind him that only a few hardcore RPG enthusiasts/nerds will give him a wink or a nudge and talk about how cool it is. While everyone else just knows him as "That kid who sounds like he's from Serbia". I don't see any of the logic you guys are presenting, he's not going to be bullied at all.

Furthermore, people criticizing the parents think they're doing this for the free swag. They're not, they're probably doing it because they're diehard fans.

It's no different than having a video game themed wedding or investing geek culture into any other part of your life. Although this is a bit extreme.

Now I'm not against naming children after video game characters, but naming someone fucking "Dovahkiin?"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here