South Park Renewed Until 2016

Pages 1 2 NEXT

South Park Renewed Until 2016

Comedy Central hired Trey Parker and Matt Stone for three more seasons.

In a smoke-filled dorm room in 1996, a kid with a moustache held up an unmarked VHS cassette in front of me. "Have you seen The Spirit of Christmas?" he asked urgently and snorted with incredulity when I shook my head. We then watched possibly the funniest 5 minutes of animation I've ever seen. When South Park debuted a year later on Comedy Central, I felt like I was in on the joke. How could they let this on cable TV? Nearly 15 seasons and a feature film later, South Park is still produced almost entirely by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. And now they will be able to continue making the show until 2016.

"The collective genius of Matt and Trey knows no bounds," said the president of Comedy Central in a statement. "Week after week and season after season they continue to surprise and delight South Park fans, and that includes all of us here at Comedy Central. We're thrilled that the adventures of Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman will continue through 2016."

The two collaborators paid lip service to their overlords. "Comedy Central has been our home for 15 years and we love working there," said Parker and Stone, hopefully simultaneously in character voices. "South Park is a blast and we can't wait to make more."

I can't say that I watch every episode anymore, but I'm always impressed that Parker and Stone can write and produce a show that skewers current events so expertly. Watching the documentary 6 Days to Air on how they actually make the show is pretty damn amazing.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Screw you guys, I'm goin home....

So the brilliant "You're getting old" episode was just one elaborate trolling exercise?

Well played Matt & Trey, well fucking played.

Yuck, why do all the shows I lose interest in or actively dislike get renewed endlessly, while the ones i like seldom make it past series 2?

I foresee a slew of "BAWWW it should have died at series x!" type posts coming this way.

Amazingly enough, South Park has managed to remain at more or less the same level of quality for all these years, so this renewal is deserved. Still, I hope that when the show has run its course, it's allowed to end with dignity like KOTH, rather than being stretched out awkwardly like The Simpsons has been.

Quellist:
Yuck, why do all the shows I lose interest in or actively dislike get renewed endlessly, while the ones i like seldom make it past series 2?

i would make a comment about poor taste here, but.... this is south park hahaha, and my argument would be invalid by default.

uppitycracker:

Quellist:

i would make a comment about poor taste here, but.... this is south park hahaha, and my argument would be invalid by default.

Heh, oh i used to love the show, then i just liked it, then i got bored with it. When i wrote 'actively dislike' i actually had the Simpsons in mind

When will people learn. South Park passed it's prime 3 years ago. Let it die. But big business can't stop from milking the cow till it's dead.

Though I don't watch the show, so I could care less I guess.

Quellist:

uppitycracker:

Quellist:

Heh, oh i used to love the show, then i just liked it, then i got bored with it. When i wrote 'actively dislike' i actually had the Simpsons in mind

i feel the exact same way, about both shows. south park still has a golden episode every now and then, but yeah, i'm in the bored boat now for the most part.

I Love it, been watching it since day one and although some jokes are getting old and the series is getting a little long in the tooth its still genuinely funny and one of the few shows out there game enough to ridicule and make known in a comedic manner such issues that plague our world. In other words....STILL FUNNY.

You know that feeling right after your show get's renewed? awesome!

Quellist:

beats the other shows comedy central regularly airs. If they don't buy a syndicated show from some other network they usually resort to making there own show and. Well. They aren't great. That and they have just the worst taste in movies.

The current series has hardly been amazing, but I certainly don't think its ready to die yet.

The problem with having a backlog of several hundred episodes is that all the good shit in those series gets mashed together in a magic pot.

Tiger Sora:
When will people learn. South Park passed it's prime 3 years ago. Let it die. But big business can't stop from milking the cow till it's dead.

Though I don't watch the show, so I could care less I guess.

It's prime was season 8. But still the series remains hilarious, there are some lamer eps granted but this season has given us the human centipad, city sushi and 1%, the first being one that I think will become a classic.

I'm extremely happy to hear the series is continuing, with Simpsons going up and down, Family guy being as shit as usual and shows like Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen and Archer having large gaps between series, having more Southpark to fill the animated comedy void sounds rather good to me.

sounds good to me, possibly more of something i enjoy? yes please.

better off that than leaving it to never be touched/gone on again (such as firefly...)

Meh...lets hope those seasons arent as bad as this one...since its already rather bland or beating a dead horse...

Wow. UI don't know how, but I think there will be someway that they will manage to make it to 19 seasons without actually giving 2 of their four main characters any personality.

I cannot be the only one who keeps noticing this. Stan and Kyle are virtually without traits and, if it weren't for Kyle being jewish, all their lines could be swapped with no impact.

OutrageousEmu:
Wow. UI don't know how, but I think there will be someway that they will manage to make it to 19 seasons without actually giving 2 of their four main characters any personality.

I cannot be the only one who keeps noticing this. Stan and Kyle are virtually without traits and, if it weren't for Kyle being jewish, all their lines could be swapped with no impact.

Huh. I was thinking Kenny and Stan. But then they kinda gave him something in that "You're getting old" episode.

Dooly95:

OutrageousEmu:

Huh. I was thinking Kenny and Stan. But then they kinda gave him something in that "You're getting old" episode.

Yes, but that didn't last beyond that episode. Yeah, there are times when they get traits to seperate them, but it only lasts the duration of that episode, after that, hey presto, Stan and Kyle are blank slates and can and will say anything as long as it helps the plot.

Kenny is a perverted horny fucker who will try anything and comes from a poor family. Cartman is a fat spoiled misanthropic prejudiced hypocritical self important asshole with serious mental problems. Both of these are things that have stuck with their characters beyond the one episode.

I would say that Kyle consistantly maintains a sense of right and wrong as well as honor that sets him apart from Stan in most episodes. Although you're right, they can be pretty damn similar.

Amazingly, South Park hasn't lost it yet (episodes such as Broadway Bro Down are proof of that), but it IS showing its age. They should really stop soon, or I'm afraid it'll be a repeat of the Simpsons.

Quellist:

I think it's just that the shows you do like just don't last long enough for you to lose interest in them. It's easier to love a show that ended before it could get bad than it is to love one that has had its ups and downs and is almost unrecognizable from the way it was when you first fell in love with it.

Woah, holy accidental marriage parallels, Batman!

Past few seasons have marked a steady decline in episode quality. Some people's best work comes out when they do stuff at the last moment, Matt and Trey don't fit that category. Pandemic and the Coon episodes are really the only funny episodes the rest are crap.

Fuck yeah!, 20 years of South Park, I want to live to see that day =)

Now how about uncensoring episodes 200 and 201?

SurrealFactory:
I would say that Kyle consistantly maintains a sense of right and wrong as well as honor that sets him apart from Stan in most episodes. Although you're right, they can be pretty damn similar.

Not really. Think of Good Times With Weapons, Super Best Friends or Stupid Spoiled Whores. He's just as likely to go along with insane and irresponsible shit.

Anyone who says South Park should stop being aired because its becoming stale needs to get their head checked, or at least actually watch the damn series before talking out of their ass.

Sure, the current season isnt the best, but they still have it in them. One of the latest ones was this unique South Park over the top stupid shit humor that only this series has. Im talking, of course, about the episode in which it was uncovered that

Dont tell anyone female though, you will ruin it for the rest of us.

Here's hoping the Book of Mormon can stay on Broadway for half as long.

Cowabungaa:
So the brilliant "You're getting old" episode was just one elaborate trolling exercise?

Well played Matt & Trey, well fucking played.

My thoughts exactly. God damnit. First genuinely good episode from South Park in years, and now they seem to be flying in the face of it. Man, I'm done with this show.

oh great i was hoping it'd die sooner rather then later now its around till 2016 shit

i feel nothing. no joy, no hate, just a resounding 'meh'

mostly cause i forget south park exists

Tiger Sora:

I'm not trying to be flamatory, but havn't people been saying that every year since like season 3?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Anyone who says South Park should stop being aired because its becoming stale needs to get their head checked, or at least actually watch the damn series before talking out of their ass.

Sure, the current season isnt the best, but they still have it in them. One of the latest ones was this unique South Park over the top stupid shit humor that only this series has. Im talking, of course, about the episode in which it was uncovered that

Dont tell anyone female though, you will ruin it for the rest of us.

Between our avatars, and my agreeing with exactly what you said I have to ask....are you me from the future?

Good. All is right with Comedy Central.

Now keep the Futurama episodes coming, laugh-slaves.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are master satirists. So all is good.

So i give it about 2 more seasons until they run it into the ground

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or