Sins of a Solar Empire Invades Steam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sins of a Solar Empire Invades Steam

Now that Stardock has sold its Impulse digital distribution platform to GameStop, it's free to bring its excellent 4X real time strategy game Sins of Solar Empire: Trinity to Steam.

Stardock sold Impulse to retail giants GameStop back in march, in order to focus on game development, rather than distribution. The downside to this, was that gamers who use Impulse specifically to avoid companies like GameStop had their noses put of joint. On the plus side: Steam users can pick up Stardock's best game by a wide margin, Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity, complete with all its included DLC and doodads, on Steam today.

"With the sale of our former PC digital download technology to GameStop earlier this year, we no longer have any conflicts of interest in offering our titles to other digital distribution channels," said Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock. "We are starting with Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity, with other titles being made available over the coming weeks."

This now means I can reduce the number of arbitrary, bloated digital distribution systems installed on my system from "absolutely loads" to "one less than absolutely loads." Yay.

YES! I've wanted to get this game for so long, but I was never willing to use Impulse over steam. Time to conquer some planets!

Grey Carter:
This now means I can reduce the number of arbitrary, bloated digital distribution systems installed on my system from "absolutely loads" to "one less than absolutely loads." Yay.

You call that a "Yay"? Please! learn from the master...

I've heard good things about this series, should I get this game?

I have wanted to try this game for some time now, this makes it all the more convenient for me. It also gives me an excuse to avoid Impulse, as I have to wonder what GameStop will do with that.

Gmans uncle:

Grey Carter:

Consider me well-informed on the mechanics of how to express Yay. I feel invigorated with enthusiasm now.

Duskflamer:

Think Homeworld mixed with Hegemonia, and then up the scale to nearly a hundred ships.

You should, if you have a good gaming rig. The space battles get pretty massive at times and my machine (which was a good mid-ranger at the time, and can still run many games on high or max settings) struggled to cope with the sheer number of units onscreen. I also had problems with online games because a lot of firewalls REALLY hate it.

That said, Its one of the better RTS games that I have had the joy to play.

Did they ever add a single player to that game or is it still just multi and skirmish?

......a Space RTS? Why are there so many games coming out at the same time that I want?!

Here Steam, have some more of my money. Of course, I have this game already on Impulse. But Impulse kind of blows, and I'll be happy to be rid of it. This game rocks, and I can't wait for the next installment.

Soviet Heavy:

Duskflamer:

Think Homeworld mixed with Hegemonia, and then up the scale to nearly a hundred ships.

Only a hundred? What type of small scale game were you playing?

I once had over a hundred scout ships alone, let alone my brief phrase as an LRM spammer.

Waaghpowa:
......a Space RTS? Why are there so many games coming out at the same time that I want?!

Its already out, its been out for years and now its cheaper then ever. 15 dollars for the greatest large scale space RTS on the market, is well worth it.

Sucal:

Soviet Heavy:

Duskflamer:

Only a hundred? What type of small scale game were you playing?

I once had over a hundred scout ships alone, let alone my brief phrase as an LRM spammer.

Waaghpowa:

Its already out, its been out for years and now its cheaper then ever. 15 dollars for the greatest large scale space RTS on the market, is well worth it.

I usually refer to the big battleships as just ships. Anything else is small stuff.

I supported impulse because I liked Stardock.

If only I could transfer my Impulse titles to steam now...

Man, I wish I could afford to buy that...

Sucal:

Well I mean that there are a lot of games that this month that I want to play in addition to this making it very difficult to choose.

Ill be VERY interested in sales figures for this game. This for market analysts is like what identical twins separated at birth are for Psychology research.

Gmans uncle:

Grey Carter:

Cookies, good sir. ^_^

I forgot that i brought that game, now i have to download it. Shame i suck at RTS games.

Let's just hope SINS: Rebellion, the first real stand alone expansion makes it to Steam.

Must Resist...

FOR THE NEW LUNAR REPUBLIC!

Eh, If my computer didn't as hard as id does then I'd buy it

Its only a game, its only a game, its only a game. Its only... 15 dollars? Gaahhh, resist, Don't cave in! Dooooonnnnn't.......

$15 later....

Definitely not disappointed, been looking for this for a while after I heard good things from my friends.

I wonder if I can transfer it over from impulse...

So long as I don't have to use steam, I'm fine. I personally prefer Impulse, and if they make you have to use Steam, then I will probably stop playing the game.
I did prefer Impulse when Stardock ran it though...

This and Galciv 2 were brilliant games for their time. GO STARDOCK!

Duskflamer:

Fuck yes. It's one of the best space strategy games out there.

Omega 380:
I forgot that i brought that game, now i have to download it. Shame i suck at RTS games.

It's not too difficult to figure out, there are a few simple steps that you should start with as any race. My big piece of advice, however, would be to play with a friend. Have one person go economy and have the other go all out military. That's what me and my dad do. I had a solar system of literally just trade ports, every couple minutes I'd just give him all of my cash, which he'd use to buy other resources and drive up the market price, thus starving our opponents.

I remember buying it from Gamestop back in '08, still got my case and everything. It intrigued me and while I've never been a huge fan of RTS games, it's safe to say that I've spent many, many hours playing against the computer. The custom systems can get just so massive. . . I don't think I had a single game that ended in under five hours. It's very engrossing, even for new-comers to the RTS genre. I just wish that there were more than three races and that the diplomatic functions (which were improved with one of the expansions) were easier to manage.

I might have to keep my eye on Rebellion.

i think i might be the only x4 player on earth who doesnt like this game

*salivation* IWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANTIWANT!!
:D

Oh, so did that filthy liar Wardell change his mind about Steam now. I don't have any respect for that guy, whether that game is good or not.

Soviet Heavy:
YES! I've wanted to get this game for so long, but I was never willing to use Impulse over steam. Time to conquer some planets!

Me too! Just got to get bored of Skyrim and finish Dungeon Defenders... might be a while before I'm conquering planets...

Rusman:

Soviet Heavy:

Me too! Just got to get bored of Skyrim and finish Dungeon Defenders... might be a while before I'm conquering planets...

Hehe, same.

I do have the disc version but didn't like it, however I am reliably informed it gets better with the addons. I'm willing to drop a few quid to give the complete set another go.

Sins of a Solar Empire is a meh game. It was supposed to be the messiah son of Homeworld and Total Annihilation. It was not. It's oh so shallow and limited in what you can do. I also found ships being unable to use all their guns till they levelled up to be really strange. I still bought it because I wanted to support Stardock since they're one of the few developers that really care about their PC audience. I bought all of their games simply for that reason in fact, even though I'm not too much of a fan of their games. Except Demigod which was okay for a while.

The gods have answered my prayers! I almost on impulse just clicked the buy button on that game!

...no pun was intended, but happily accepted XD

Really? Curse you Steam!! I don't know how to quit you!!

* purchases *

Well.. I guess this means I will not be needing Impulse anymore...

Omega 380:

Don't worry, I'm terrible at RTS games and I still enjoy it for the spectical alone. Zooming on a fleet of 500+ ships from tiny bombers to giant Capital Ships as they simultainiously jump to hyperspace never gets old. The easy difficulty setting is also very forgiving with the computer rarely attacking your worlds directly and the snaller maps (1 Star) are laid out in a way that lets you heavily fortify 2-3 planets and block off access to the rest of your Empire.

shrekfan246:
I might have to keep my eye on Rebellion.

I have been and while I'm looking foward to it, the wait is driving me mad!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here