Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Activision's shooter has grossed more money in five days than any other form of entertainment ever.

Well, I guess I have to eat my M-16. Last week, I made the bold prediction that MW3 was going to sell well, but that it wouldn't do as well as its predecessors. After five days of sales figures were released by Activision today with MW3 grossing $775 million in just five days, it looks like I was as wrong as a Russian informant. The figure breaks the previous sales record set by Black Ops last year with $650 million.

Activision boss Bobby Kotick was quick to gloat that his property reigns supreme. "Life-to-date retail sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded $6 billion worldwide, which makes Call of Duty one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the world," he said. "We expect continued sales momentum, as reviews and audience enthusiasm suggest that this is the best Call of Duty game that we have ever made."

Not only has MW3 made more money than Avatar or Titanic did in five days, it's breaking all kinds of records for use on Xbox Live and PSN. According to Activision:

More than 7.0 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Modern Warfare 3 by the end of launch day, November 8, a 19% increase over last year's 5.9 million multiplayer hours logged playing Black Ops last year's launch day.

More than 3.3 million unique gamers played Modern Warfare 3 in one day on November 8 up from 2.6 million unique gamers for Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 3 set a new record for concurrent players on Xbox LIVE with 3.3 million simultaneous users on November 8.

In short, a lot of freaking people are playing MW3 and this hammer with a J pin tastes delicious.

Source: Activision

Fortunately, popularity still does not necessarily equal excellent.

Actually the thing that pisses me off about it is not the fact that Call of Duty sold well, but that it inflated Kotick's ego. Thing is larger than an A380 at this point.

Amazing how mediocrity is so gratuitously rewarded in the gaming community.

Well-marketed shit is still shit Kotick.

it,s official lot,s of gamers have no taste.

Didn't it sell less than MW2 but still make more money on day one? With magic?

Damn, my hopes dashed.

But even so, Call of Duty will be dead in five years time I'm guessing.
They should quit while they're ahead.
Otherwise it will go the way of Guitar Hero; dying so suddenly it'll be as if it never existed.
People get bored. They will tire of CoD.

I'm surprised Modern Warfare 3 did better than Black Ops, I genuinely thought (and hoped) that Battlefield 3, not to mention the other blockbusters (Skyrim and Assassin's Creed namely) would take a sizeable chunk out of sales.
I was wrong :(

Still, I'm getting in early and claiming the next one won't do as well.

I can't say I'm surprised.

I like CoD as much as the next guy, but I don't think it deserves to break so many records.

If people want to pay full price (and then some) for the same game every year, by all means, go for it, just don't come crying when you start getting bored and wonder why devs aren't making anything new.

am i surprised? nope..
should i have been surprised? yes
i mean i've seen the game being played.. and its still the same..
it's like how fifa manages to keep doing well///

SomeLameStuff:
Fortunately, popularity still does not necessarily equal excellent.

AndyFromMonday:
Amazing how mediocrity is so gratuitously rewarded in the gaming community.

Paragon Fury:
Well-marketed shit is still shit.

Well, that's pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Having played my roommates copy of MW3, it's exceedingly sad that a game which innovated so little over its predecessors and isn't all that polished as far as multiplayer goes gets such high sales.

For all their talk of wanting games to be new and fresh, it seems that a great deal of gamers are all too happy to pay another 40 for Modern Warfare 2.5.

Call of duty is like apple high popularity and high price for avarge things. The name sells. CoD is not a good game its ok game wich got popular.

Paragon Fury:
Well-marketed shit is still shit Kotick.

Pretty much this sums it up.

It's like 3D movies. Absolutely bollocks because it's not very good at what it is, yet people still going out to pay 300% the price of a film to watch it in false, lame "3D". Give it a few more years where we will then have holographic - TRUE 3D projection.

OT: Kotick can go fuck a horse, his game is shit and he's milking it. Now we just need the demographics for all their online players; Bieber has 12 year old girls, XFactor has absent minded teens and CoD has _________.

Wow, I wonder if there is any limit to the ammount of money Call of duty can make. Every year, it shatters previous records like they're nothing. By this rate, Modern Warfare 7 will make enough money to buy Mars.

Hey EA... Release BF3 on Steam and you'll gain at least one sale from me.... yay! :D

Daystar Clarion:

I like CoD as much as the next guy, but I don't think it deserves to break so many records.

If people want to pay full price (and then some) for the same game every year, by all means, go for it.

I like how their vaunted CoD Elite service is still up shit creek, and how hackers are still hacking.
Throw in the fact that quickscoping is easier, spawning is not quite as bad as Blops, but still bad, and throw in a dash of "grenades suck balls" and you get: thank god Skyrim is so much fun.

Yeah it's setting all kinds of records. I peaks about 80,000 concurrent users on steam DAILY! http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ (I mean Skyrim is getting close to 300,000, but thats not a real game because it doesnt have guns)

I liked it. People buy it and enjoy it. Accept these things and stop being stuck up. Shooting people in a plane that is in freefall, giving the illusion of no gravity, is an experience I do not have often.

Now, tell me I am wrong about my own opinion.

And yet they still can't shell out some money for decent multiplayer servers.

Well... erm, congrats COD, I guess.

Tim - "What? Other people like games that I don't?"

Jim - "You know what we should do? We should encourage more players to check out some of our favorite games. It's possible that they haven't tried them out and they might actually enjoy some of them".

Tim - "Shut up Jim; that's a terrible idea. What we should do instead is constantly make topics and posts that express how much better we are at life for liking the games that we do. These posts will definitely make them want to play the titles that us snobs and hipsters do. And heck, telling them that they're stupid for liking MW3 will surely make them see the point".

And then Tim proceeded to make #32455652343rd "Let's bash CoD and Halo" topic on the Escapist.

Torrasque:

Daystar Clarion:

If people want to pay full price (and then some) for the same game every year, by all means, go for it.

I like how their vaunted CoD Elite service is still up shit creek, and how hackers are still hacking.
Throw in the fact that quickscoping is easier, spawning is not quite as bad as Blops, but still bad, and throw in a dash of "grenades suck balls" and you get: thank god Skyrim is so much fun.

Amen brother, Skyrim is my haven at the moment.

Skyrim for deep single player experience.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom for my multiplayer fix

Saints Row the Third for my beating-people-to-death-with-a-purple-dildo-fix.

As far as I'm concerned, CoD is dead to me.

Very well ,young lads
Tell me the development costs of MW3( which i firmly believe was nothing else than reskinning existing models and throw in some random 2-3 h campaign as well as put in some maps that could have been the 15 bucks map packs for MW2)

Frostbite3789:
Didn't it sell less than MW2 but still make more money on day one? With magic?

With CoD Elite, neat little extra tax that doubles the price of their game, and Kotick is evil laughing his ass off right now.

sravankb:

Jim - "You know what we should do? We should encourage more players to check out some of our favorite games. It's possible that they haven't tried them out and they might actually enjoy some of them".

Tim - "Shut up Jim; that's a terrible idea. What we should do instead is constantly make topics and posts that express how much better we are at life for liking the games that we do. These posts will definitely make them want to play the titles that us snobs and hipsters do. And heck, telling them that they're stupid for liking MW3 will surely make them see the point".

And then Tim proceeded to make #32455652343rd "Let's bash CoD and Halo" topic on the Escapist.

For one, this is a news post.

For two, I don't have a two. It's pointless trying to have a discussion with someone such as yourself. It won't go anywhere.

"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.

Frostbite3789:

sravankb:

For one, this is a news post.

For two, I don't have a two. It's pointless trying to have a discussion with someone such as yourself. It won't go anywhere.

This was in response to the posts made after the OP. And hell, you cannot deny that there are several topics where people moan and complain about the series, and I'm certain that they're well-aware of the fact that it's completely pointless.

Oh, btw - good arguing skills there, buddy.

In this thread: Haters still hating.

Still looking for that intelligent, mature Escapist site people keep talking about.

Video games now have their own version of the summer blockbuster movie. Big loud derivative titles that take a loads of money. The only difference is that dumb video game blockbusters come out during the autumn.

Hmm if they can make 700+ million at launch every year re-releasing the same game...... what if they instead do the same every 6 months.... and have 2 15 dollar DLC packs with 2-4 map each and reuse map elements or just completely reuse maps from the previous releases.... and have new DLC camo skins at 10 dollars each...... and peripherals, gotta have peripherals. So much money to be made.

Sneaklemming:
Yeah it's setting all kinds of records. I peaks about 80,000 concurrent users on steam DAILY! http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ (I mean Skyrim is getting close to 300,000, but thats not a real game because it doesnt have guns)

Call of Duty has not been very popular on the PC in several years. Hell with the last few releases it was something like four to five times as many people pirated it as purchased it for the PC. On the PS3 however its very rare to see less then 400,000 people playing. In the evenings its generally 750,000+.

The World's Gone Mad...
For Modern Warfare.

It amazes me that when a game sells well everyone comes out to hate it. With stories of developers folding every couple of weeks its nice to hear of some success in vidoegames.

MW3 offers a slick, tight and well balanced multiplayer game. The game feels right, the perks and weapons seem far more balanced. Hardcore kill confirmed is also a godsend as it cuts the camping in half.

You dont have to like it, I personally dont do racing games, that doesnt mean I want forza et al. to bomb. Were talking about peoples livelyhoods.

TL:DR

Haters gonna hate.

I think MW3 is a fun game. I really do. But I don't think that it is nearly as good as the sales imply it is. Oh well, can't do much about it can we?

-Samurai-:
In this thread: Haters still hating.

Still looking for that intelligent, mature Escapist site people keep talking about.

Nah, that's just a myth.

Hell, just make a topic expressing your opinion on Skyrim. Any negative aspect that's pointed out will be jumped on.

At the end of the day, people will support anything as long as they like it, despite its flaws. There's no issue with this, IMO. I just find it annoying when they try and bring objectivity into the mix. Seriously, folks, no one gives a shit about the gory details of why you like / dislike a game. Unless you're a reviewer, of course. In which case, it's your job to explain why the game is good or not.

But of course, rule # 143 of the internet is that everyone here is a certified critic on a wine-connoisseur level, and their opinions are facts.

The only disappointment I have is that this will further discourage any new IP for the next few years. Prepare for another year of bi-monthly brown shooter releases.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here