Torchlight II Delayed, Runic Says Play Skyrim Instead

Torchlight II Delayed, Runic Says Play Skyrim Instead

Runic Games wants to make sure the game is as awesome as it could be.

The first Torchlight filled a niche that PC gamers had been craving since the last Diablo game came out. Torchlight was a surprise hit, but Runic Games was aware of all the glitches and bugs that made it through to release. Now that Torchlight II has the buzz and money behind it - not to mention the specter of Diablo III looming - Runic Games cofounder and CEO Travis Baldree says he wants to make sure the sequel is as polished as possible. Plus, he knows we're all playing Skyrim anyway ...

"The first Torchlightwas released in record time, but it had plenty of issues that a little more development could have resolved. We didn't have the resources at the time to give Torchlight that treatment," Baldree said.

"Right at this moment though, we do have those resources for the sequel, and we feel strongly that we should apply them to make this the best game we can make and hopefully one that you'll enjoy and continue to want to play in the future," he continued.

Baldree didn't say when Torchlight II would be out, but he did say that they were almost there and planned a beta before release. "The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small."

The crowded videogame release schedule might have had something to do with Baldree's decision to delay Torchlight II. "Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed: Revelations?

"Those are awesome games. When Torchlight II goes live, we want it to be awesome too - all the way through," he said.

I can't argue with that.

Source: Runic Games

You've got to love it when a developer puts politics to one side and just gives the thumbs up to the sterling work everybody else is doing.

If only more studios followed suit, then the gaming world would be a better place.

Kmadden2004:
You've got to love it when a developer puts politics to one side and just gives the thumbs up to the sterling work everybody else is doing.

If only more studios followed suit, then the gaming world would be a better place.

If only more fans would do that as well, then the gaming world would be a betterer place.

Sadly, that will never happen.

It's nice to see them admitting

"The game isn't quite finished, let us do a bit more work on it, enjoy the other awesome games you have anyway, and when you are done, BAM! Torchlight 2."

I love you, Runic Games =)

Madmanonfire:

Kmadden2004:

If only more fans would do that as well, then the gaming world would be a betterer place.

True, true.

The modern fanboy; trapped in the schoolyard mentality.

I really like this. They're putting care into their game and they're acknowledging awesome other games that fans can play in the meantime. And he is right. The amount of new games you can buy right now is insane.

At first I read the title as "Torchlight II Delayer - Runic Plays Skyrim Instead" and I thought "...fair enough."

I tried Skyrim... didn't cut it. This news saddens me greatly.

I hope GoG has something great on sale this weekend...

Glad to see at least one developer putting quality ahead of competition. I've got too many games to play this season anyway.

Greg Tito:
"Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed: Revelations?

I like this. It's a not-so-subtle nod of respect to other developers as well as a (as I read it) light-hearted dig at the publishers for all releasing their games around the same time.

Which is kinda silly by the way. We only have so much time and money to spend guys!

Good to see they're putting real effort into polishing Torchlight The Second though.

Good move on their part. I dont know if torchlight actually needs more work or not or if they just realised that it would be a very bad idea to release the game anytime soon. So many big titles have hit the market in the last couple weeks that an indie game like torchlight 2 would be ignored by most. An early 2012 release would probably be much better for them sales wise.

So did one of the devs die then? :P

Not that I'm complaining. More polish is always a good thing

Good News: You're not in the current christmas rush.
Bad News: The further you are away from Diablo III the better.

I know some people are going to be boycotting D3 and won't care, but let's be honest for the overall sales picture.

Wuggy:
At first I read the title as "Torchlight II Delayer - Runic Plays Skyrim Instead" and I thought "...fair enough."

Same.
Either way, 's'all good Runic, just add a bit more variety and maybe I'll finish the game this time.

That'd be Saints Row 3, my good man.
And oh boy, is it good!!! :)

Hurry up with this game anyway!

Ugh, first D3 and now this *sigh*

When I heard D3 was not happening this year after all I figured I'd at least have Torchlight 2 to play till it did come out.

Now it looks like that isn't going to happen this year either. Yes, I'm playing Skyrim to death. Yes, I played Dark souls to death as well. Both of those games won't hold a candle to how long I'll play Torchlight 2 (or Diablo 3) at least if they are nearly as good as their predecessors.

I just wanted one good action RPG this year (I guess Bastion could kinda count...but it doesn't have the replayability I like).

I understand waiting till you have your product ready to ship, and respect it. But that does not stop me from feeling let down, especially when previous messages said it would release unless on of the employees basically died!!!

So who died?

Looking at that screenshot, I thought it was a completely different game... and now I realize that Dota 2 has more or less stolen Torchlight 2's art direction. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to this AND D3.

I wonder if Skyrims release has anything to do with it... I know how it is when a new game gets released and the entire dev team falls mysteriously ill.

Well I hope you guys beat it quickly, cuz we would really like to see Torchlight someday :P

As long as Diablo III's release window is dodged I can see this paying off. Although 2012 begin looks crowded as well.

At the moment there doesn't really seem to be a safe time to bring out a game. Torchlight II is a member of a niche genre - and it's downloadable content. I don't think the same rules apply...

Um, yes guys, except...if you are too slow and D3 makes it out first, you're fucked.
Bugs or no bugs, you better ship MONTHS before D3.

These are the kind of devs that make me happy. I love to see developers actually acknowledge that they are human people who enjoy games and support the current releases of other developers. This tiny bit of publicity has done enough good for their image that I am now considering buying Torchlight II when it releases because I am now confident that they understand what makes a good game and that they will take the time they need to do it right rather than rush through to launch.

Madmanonfire:

Kmadden2004:

Just take the internetz. All of them.

Piss off, Runic. I want to have fun with your game, not play a fantasy book club simulator. Hurry it up.

Will do Runic! I've already played skyrim for 50+ hours and haven't done the main quest line pass talking to the Greybeards the first time XD lvl34 and a lvl16 :D

GrindBass:
So did one of the devs die then? :P

Not that I'm complaining. More polish is always a good thing

Wasn't it "Torchlight 2 this winter unless someone dies, expected around November/December" They've a few months yet.

Delayed torchlight....back to the Path of Exile beta I go.

It's little comments like this that garner more respect out of me for Runic. Regardless of how close to Diablo 3, I'll still buy Torchlight 2. I liked the first well enough and Runic seems to be staffed by a group of classy people.

The question is, had it have just been released, would they have recommended playing Diablo?
That would be impressive.

The more I hear from these developers, the more I like them. They want to polish a game instead of shove it out the door and they acknowledge that we're all probably playing other games right now as it is, so we should chill out and wait a bit more. Fine by me.

<goes and plays Skyrim>

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here