Questions Still Swirl Around EA's Origin Bans

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

if this happens to a lot of people, and every single one of them took it to small claims court to get their purchase money back, ea would be forced to either send a rep out to all sorts of different courts all around the country for 50 dollar lawsuits (and it'd cost more than that just in travel $) or be a no show and lose via default judgments, causing them to lose money no matter what they choose.

SmegInThePants:
if this happens to a lot of people, and every single one of them took it to small claims court to get their purchase money back, ea would be forced to either send a rep out to all sorts of different courts all around the country for 50 dollar lawsuits (and it'd cost more than that just in travel $) or be a no show and lose via default judgments, causing them to lose money no matter what they choose.

Yea, but thats all because the person who could be with over $500 (NZ) worth of EA Origin games can't play them anymore, because of a violation of ToS in a forum.

I actually thought that there would be seperate ToS for the forums and the games.

Its like saying that you cheated on your test, and so tonight you're forced to eat a lump of cold poison rather than dinner.

rsvp42:

cursedseishi:
Though honestly, I'm all for just starving Origins in general, letting it flop about in its own filth before finally suffocating in it. Though... I think The Old Republic is attached to Origin, so... might not be too easy then.

TOR can be purchased digitally through Origin, but it's not required to log in or play. Bioware likes to make that clear. I sense even they don't want to deal with gamer aggro surrounding Origin.

Do you mind quoting the exact source of your information? I ask because I don't think I have seen an official statement from either BioWare or EA regarding this, but the general consensus I gathered from the TOR forums was that the game will require Origin to log in.

Aroth Khashar:

rsvp42:

cursedseishi:
Though honestly, I'm all for just starving Origins in general, letting it flop about in its own filth before finally suffocating in it. Though... I think The Old Republic is attached to Origin, so... might not be too easy then.

TOR can be purchased digitally through Origin, but it's not required to log in or play. Bioware likes to make that clear. I sense even they don't want to deal with gamer aggro surrounding Origin.

Do you mind quoting the exact source of your information? I ask because I don't think I have seen an official statement from either BioWare or EA regarding this, but the general consensus I gathered from the TOR forums was that the game will require Origin to log in.

Sorry, I don't have the official bioware post handy, But I can tell you, as a beta-tester, while I have SWTOR installed, I've never installed Origin and am able to launch the game fine. Also from what I can tell, my SWTOR account and EA (now converted to Origin) accounts are separate.

Edit: Found it
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6823172#post6823172

Bottom post from Stephen Reid. You have to download through Origin if you bought the game digitally, but once installed, the game is independent from EA's platform

oh god help us when origin invades PS3/360, thats my only safe haven because EA hasnt completely screwed us consol gamers.

Aroth Khashar:

Try googling. It's the first hit on "will old republic require origin".

Fourth post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8488436

EDIT: Seems someone already had, and I should refresh pages before pressing quote..

Thuggych:
Sorry, I don't have the official bioware post handy, But I can tell you, as a beta-tester, while I have SWTOR installed, I've never installed Origin and am able to launch the game fine. Also from what I can tell, my SWTOR account and EA (now converted to Origin) accounts are separate.

Edit: Found it
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6823172#post6823172

Bottom post from Stephen Reid. You have to download through Origin if you bought the game digitally, but once installed, the game is independent from EA's platform

Vakz:
Try googling. It's the first hit on "will old republic require origin".

Fourth post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8488436

EDIT: Seems someone already had, and I should refresh pages before pressing quote..

Thanks guys. I normally try to find stuff like this myself, but lately Google has been less than helpful for any search I do with more than 3 or 4 words and the search function on the forums at www.swtor.com is even worse for me >_>. Since someone mentioned having heard/seen it first hand I figured it was easier to just ask for their source.

Either way, that link is getting bookmarked and shall serve me well in the near future. Thanks again.

Aroth Khashar:
Thanks guys. I normally try to find stuff like this myself, but lately Google has been less than helpful for any search I do with more than 3 or 4 words and the search function on the forums at www.swtor.com is even worse for me >_>. Since someone mentioned having heard/seen it first hand I figured it was easier to just ask for their source.

Either way, that link is getting bookmarked and shall serve me well in the near future. Thanks again.

To be fair, still thread still made me cancel my TOR-preorder. My problem is not with Origin alone, it's with EA. As OP showed, his ban was not exclusive to his Origin-games, his Bad Company 2 was banned as well, despite him not having it on Origin.

Vakz:

Aroth Khashar:

To be fair, still thread still made me cancel my TOR-preorder. My problem is not with Origin alone, it's with EA. As OP showed, his ban was not exclusive to his Origin-games, his Bad Company 2 was banned as well, despite him not having it on Origin.

Thus the reason I stay as far away from EA's online domains as possible. That said, I don't think I have seen any instances of this happening with a BioWare forum where it wasn't resolved and rectified in short order. Thankfully, the SWTOR website and forums are administered by BioWare, not EA. Yes, I know BioWare is owned by EA, but they retain as much (if not more) autonomy in their domains as Blizzard has in its.

Yes, I know BioWare is owned by EA, but they retain as much (if not more) autonomy in their domains as Blizzard has in its.

EA is all over the bioware website, links et all.

There is not one activision logo or advertisement on the blizzard website family.

Vivendi owned blizzard and then bought out activision, not the other way around.

Andy Chalk:
The discrepancy between the original response and Priestly's was never explained

The discrepancy is simple to explain. Unlike the vast majority of EA customer service, Evil Chris Priestly is a Bioware rep, and thus does not have his head up his ass which allows him to tell that such a connection between forum and game activity goes in the category of fucking asinine. If I had to guess I'd say that Bioware will demand their games not be applied to such a standard.

lordlillen:
oh god help us when origin invades PS3/360, thats my only safe haven because EA hasnt completely screwed us consol gamers.

people have had EA acounts banned, including Xbox/Ps3 games that were connected to them (some of them are) for having complaints on their xbox and PSN profiles, the entire account banned!

And this be why I get hard copies of games if I can help it. Of course this is made easier since I mostly play console games which, at least for now, don't need to be constantly hooked up to the internet.
For now.

This whole thing reeks of suck though. So what if your customers badmouth you on your forums? They're still paying you money; something they won't do if they're accounts are banned.

Syzygy23:
Maybe we should teach EA a lesson and STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS.

Seriously, it's not that hard. Next time they produce something you WANT, remember that it is exactly that, something you want, not NEED. We can live without it.

I completelyy agree with you, in fact i really want BF3 and i really want to play ME3 when it comes out, but i'm hating EA so much for what they're doing to people ive decided to sadly boycott them

sadly however most people will go by a principle of "it aint happening to me so i dont care" and EA can get away with it.

Burst6:

Belated:

cookyy2k:
Does anyone remember when buying a game meant ownership of that game? Where publishers couldn't take away your ability to play the game, where they couldn't dictate how many times you could install your game, where they didn't force you to be connected to their (short lived) server to play single player and where they didn't moan that you sold your property on to someone else? I hope this trend of games becoming a service by the publisher isn't here to stay but of course it is. Publishers wont give up this level of control, especially when consumers seem happy to accept it.

Quoted for truth. Now watch me use this as a jumping-off point for a ridiculous rant:

Y'see all you Conservative gamers out there? This is why corporations need MORE regulation. We don't need a "free" market, we need a chained up market where the CEO gets whipped and stepped on so he's made to behave like a good little boy. Corporations will always try to work around the system to cut corners, or install bad practices and policies that screw the customer base even if the company is making a perfectly decent profit before those changes are made. Therefore, every time that happens, we need to make a new law that forces them to undo those changes if the changes can't be reasonably defended. Actually, I'm of the belief that we should pass one blanket law giving the government unlimited power to veto any private business decision that the government deems "unfair" or "bad practice", at their discretion. This may sound like an infringement of people's rights, but corporations aren't people and anybody who tells you otherwise is a frickin' liar, and probably out to get you.

Do you trust the government to make the right decisions though? Do you think that everyone in government will work for the benefit of the people?

The government doesn't need more power. They're already trying to screw us over with the power they have.

That makes no sense. You're telling us that we should prevent the government from having the power to stop corporations from having more power. This isn't about restricting the rights of the people, this is about protecting them by restricting the rights of a corporation. Corporations already hold unprecedented amounts of influence in the modern world and their decisions affect billions of people every single day.

We have two choices: Put our trust in the mostly transparent government which is made up of elected officials who are answerable to and paid for by the people, OR we put our trust in the company which is literally founded for the purpose of lining it's own pockets.

"The gummint" isn't a fucking cabal, it's not like every single person in there is part of a hive-mind. The biggest problem with western politics today is that there's too much money involved and far too many corporate incentives for various officials to follow. The government isn't screwing anyone over because it's basically COBRA, the government is screwing people over because people involved are all to willing to sell out their ideals to line their own pockets with money from the private sector.

If regulation was brought in to outright ban private interests from holding sway over the administration and to prevent the organisations representing these interests from holding power over the world's elected officials, then that wouldn't be "giving the government too much power", that would effectively be "cleaning half the shitty stuff out of modern western politics".

ravenshrike:

DressedInRags:
That makes no sense. You're telling us that we should prevent the government from having the power to stop corporations from having more power. This isn't about restricting the rights of the people, this is about protecting them by restricting the rights of a corporation. Corporations already hold unprecedented amounts of influence in the modern world and their decisions affect billions of people every single day.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? The more power given to any regulating body, the more likely that body is to be suborned by the largest players among those it attempts to regulate; unless there is a strong ideological component. Generally speaking, bureaucracy by definition strips away ideological components.

That's a good point, you'll have to forgive me for not debating it as I'm kinda busy right now.

I'm curious, though: what do you suggest we do, then?

EDIT: nevermind, I just noticed you invoked the Stasi. Come on, the Stasi? I think it might have taken a slightly more fascist bent to produce something like the bloody Stasi. I don't think cracking down on corporate greed is going to create any secret police anywhere, mate. That's a little far-fetched.

DressedInRags:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? The more power given to any regulating body, the more likely that body is to be suborned by the largest players among those it attempts to regulate; unless there is a strong ideological component. Generally speaking, bureaucracy by definition strips away ideological components.

It should be noted that when bureaucracy does not strip away the ideological component you end up with organizations like the Stasi.

it's no secret that EA's customer support is absolutely abhorrent right now. With the release of Origin they had to hire a lot of new employees, and a large number of them are inept, or they just don't give a shit. It's definitely EA's fault for not hiring the right people, or not hiring competent people ahead of time to account for this, but hey, that's how the business world goes. Cut costs, even if it means you're pissing off paying customers.

As for the whole Forum ban issue, it's a load of bullshit. EA needs to make both accounts separate and that's that. Publicly traded game developers / publishers is the worst thing that happened to the industry.

They need to ammend the EULA, and they need to re-evaluate previous bans before shit hits the fan even harder. Unfortunately, no publishers have ever really been good at that aside from Valve.

Syzygy23:

Seriously, it's not that hard. Next time they produce something you WANT, remember that it is exactly that, something you want, not NEED. We can live without it.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure I NEED the next dead space game.

I really wanted BF3. But I stayed away from that out of principle. Turns out I'm perfectly happy with RO3. But, I'm afraid I actually do need to see how Dead space 3 ends. And I'm probably going to need to get Mass Effect 3 too. Although I don't tend to buy ME games until they're in some ludicrous sale... Hopefully on Steam.

Dendio:

Yes, I know BioWare is owned by EA, but they retain as much (if not more) autonomy in their domains as Blizzard has in its.

EA is all over the bioware website, links et all.

There is not one activision logo or advertisement on the blizzard website family.

Vivendi owned blizzard and then bought out activision, not the other way around.

The presence of logos doesn't really mean jack accept that they are a part of EA as a company. If/when you go onto the BioWare forums (or the SWTOR ones) the developers, forum moderators, and community managers all work for BioWare. Yes by extension of EA's ownership of BioWare that means they also work for EA, but that doesn't change the situation.

By EA forums I am referring to this site - forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/list.page

By BioWare forums I am referring to this site - http://social.bioware.com/forum/

Every time I read/hear of someone getting permanently banned from an EA game for a forum comment it has been on a game forum that is not affiliated with BioWare. Also, the few times I have read of someone getting banned from the BioWare forums (see second link) and it locking them out of a game, the matter was resolved within a day or two of contacting either a community manager or a moderator on the forums, or by contacting BioWare customer support directly. (And yes, BioWare customer support is a different entity from EA customer support. I have had the two shuffle me back and forth between them on an issue before.)

Abandon4093:

Syzygy23:

I really wanted BF3. But I stayed away from that out of principle. Turns out I'm perfectly happy with RO3. But, I'm afraid I actually do need to see how Dead space 3 ends. And I'm probably going to need to get Mass Effect 3 too. Although I don't tend to buy ME games until they're in some ludicrous sale... Hopefully on Steam.

Funny thing, EA scraped team working on deadspace 3 and deadspace 3 with it. How's that about "dunno"?

cieply:

Abandon4093:

Syzygy23:

Funny thing, EA scraped team working on deadspace 3 and deadspace 3 with it. How's that about "dunno"?

Bullshit rumour. Deadspace 3 is still on track and I'll be buying it when it's released. That's how's about the 'dunno'.

Glenn37216:
I just recieved the ban hammer for 72 hours for an incident that happened to my son on Battlelog. Seems a EA server admin banned him for using the m98 sniper rifle and going 30-0 on a tdm..

Here's the kicker; he wasn't banned from just the server but from Battlelog/Origin itself.

After along heated discussion with EA SUPPORT,they told me he was banned for bad mouthing a EA ADMIN in a game server , not in Battlelog itself. I was like WTF? You mean to tell me you can be banned for talking smack in game? Yes , you can according to Ea support.

This isnt the outragous part. For some reason , a seperate Origin account (mine) that was on the same pc and tied into a different email was banned also. So 2 accounts was banned over 1 incident that happened in a game server? Yup , turns out Origin scans your pc and looks for Ea games , and other Origin accounts. So screw up on one... and even your offline accounts that are on the same pc will not work .. .Now thats one bad a$$ ban hammer.

As of right now, we have 8 EA titles we bought and paid for that we cannot play until this ban is lifted. -ONLY 1 of them is actually using the same Email that is associated with Battlelog /Origin. Now if this doesn't scare the average gamer away from Origin titles... I don't know what will .

Positively terrifying.

SmegInThePants:

The only problem with this is that the ToS of Origin, is that unless they have broken a law, you can't take them to court. And the ToS also state that EA controls the license and can remove it if they want... And if they remove the game, the contract is still legally binding.
http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/ See section 2, 3, 9 , 11 and 20... These effectively say, if you do anything, even if you quote someone else, you are responsible, and if any of EA staff don't like it they can remove all your products... and you can't do anything... AND can't use any other EA service ever.

Also for all the people out there complaining about waiting for 3 days to get all the content, it took me 3 weeks for EA to admit that they screwed up and didn't give me the Correct CD Key for BF3, and another week for them to get a correct one... and they only recently removed the Standard edition from my Origin account (It went No Game -> 3 weeks pass -> BF3:SE -> 1 week -> BF3:LE -> Week or so -> BF3:SE removed... And SE was affecting Battlelog, as Origin prefers the Standard edition over the Limited edition)

See, EA? This is why you should have used Steam. Fucking idiots.

Whatever happened to just calling customer support? No, not the lazy electronic means, actually taking a phone, dialing, using dialect. I don't have the full picture, but if you were wronged, just damn call. The people behind customer service of most establishments don't even know what is Reddit, much less know about your campaign.

The only people there likely to hear your message are from things like Marketing and PR, but no one likes being the one to tell someone else they were wrong, so it will take ages for them to trickle down the departments and at the end of the day, all you'll have done is made a memo appear at customer service for EA saying something like "try to be careful with the ban button".

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but in this case you are basically yelling in the wrong ears. Call them, hit zero if needed, ask for managers if they say they can't do nothing and THEN if it still goes nowhere threaten with media... I'm sure at some point down the line someone will either listen to the fact that you've been wronged or just give up and give you back your account anyways.

I swear there needs to be college classes on how to deal with Customer Service, at the pace we are going the next generation will be posting Vlogs whenever a package gets lost in the mail.

EA... when I read up a little about their new toy origin I decided to completely cut my relationship with them, no more EA games for me, not that I was a big fan of them anyways.

After some hiccups I finally got this mail :

Thank you for contacting EA Privacy Policy Administration.
I apologize for the improper handling of your previous request. Per your request, your EA account has been deleted.
Take care,
Amy S.
EA Privacy Policy Administrator

nikki191:
irronically ive had nothing but good experiences with EA customer service.. made a complaint about a piece of missing sims3 furniture promised in the expansion pack i bought which turned out wasnt available. 3 weeks later they gave me a copy of mirrors edge free of charge.. i like $20 compensation for a 20c dlc item :D

that said and on topic this is going way to far. a forum ban should be exactly that a ban on using the forums. if however a player gets caught cheating then i can see they MIGHT have an excuse to limit acces to that product.. ie banning their use of official servers.

im still not sure though about singlehandedly banning people from accessing ALL their EA products.

e-peen.. suggesting someone has an inflated ego, used in the context of the "electronic large pensi argument". you wacky kids and your net talk

Why must you tell these terrible lies? its scientifically impossible to have a "good" EA experience. We proved that around the time EA started sprouting horns and the cloven hooves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here