League of Legends Muscles Past World of Warcraft

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

League of Legends Muscles Past World of Warcraft

League of Legends is now bigger than World of Warcraft and draws in more than four times as many peak concurrent users as Skyrim.

League of Legends is pretty popular stuff, but just how popular might surprise you. More than four million people play the game every day, a jump of 280 percent since July, and with 11.5 million monthly active players it's now officially bigger than World of Warcraft, which slipped to 10.3 million users from the beginning of July to the end of September.

And that's not all! LoL [which, for the record, is a terrible acronym] boasts peak concurrent user numbers of 1.3 million, dwarfing the record-setting 280,000 concurrent users Skyrim attracted on Steam.

Riot Games revealed these numbers in advance of the upcoming League of Legends: Season Two, which will have a $5 million prize pool up for grabs and finish with a $2 million tournament featuring the best League of Legends teams in the world. "The incredible passion and dedication of our players is positively inspiring," said Riot Games co-founder and CEO Brandon Beck. "Our community's boundless enthusiasm is why they are central to every decision we make at Riot."

Other interesting statistics, courtesy of this awesome infographic: since League of Legends went online, 15 billion champions and 200 billion minions have been killed, 23 million forum posts have been made across more than 2.3 million threads, 21 trillion gold has been earned and, although I'm not sure how this is relevant, 1197 years ago, there were Vikings. Check it out!

1197 years ago, there were vikings.

Combining the daily amount of hours played world-wide, that's 1197 years.

I CHECKED IT, IT'S ACTUALLY 1198 YEARS!

I love how they make mention to the amount of times a TEEMO dies in a day. I find that actually really really funny.

I wonder how many of those are paying players.

And yet it doesn't stop the player base from driving me away.

Krion_Vark:
I love how they make mention to the amount of times a TEEMO dies in a day. I find that actually really really funny.

That's because anyone who plays LoL knows that teemo's a kiting dick. :P A popular game on there is "Catch the Teemo".

He doesn't tend to survive being caught...

Doesn't help that about half of these people are terrible.

Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.

I like League of Legends. I wish it liked ME more, but anyway. When many of my friends play at high levels (and Kyle Danger Henick is one my close friends) I have to play.

LoL just has the 3rd worst community on the planet. Even the players admit it.

I like how for the stats they show HotShotQQ, the poster child for why people hate LoL. Not wise marketing.

"OH MY F**KING GOD NUNU? WHY? WHY NUNU WHY? WHY THE F**K ARE YOU SO KOREAN YOU F***KING IDIOT"

HotShotQQ, 3 weeks ago during a major tournament being streamed.

Hmmm, that's pretty interesting. I've never played the game though and don't really know anything about it either. All I hear is the community is terrible.

Baldr:
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.

No matter how you slice it "Most played game on the planet" is pretty good, paying or no paying. And about 35% of players do pay for stuff.

EcksTeaSea:

And I suppose you're at 1800 ELO?

Aw man, Teemo is way too cute to kill...plus he's my most used Hero/Legend/whatnot.
Anyways, those stats are really impressive.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
I like League of Legends. I wish it liked ME more, but anyway. When many of my friends play at high levels (and Kyle Danger Henick is one my close friends) I have to play.

I like how for the stats they show HotShotQQ, the poster child for why people hate LoL. Not wise marketing.

"OH MY F**KING GOD NUNU? WHY? WHY NUNU WHY? WHY THE F**K ARE YOU SO KOREAN YOU F***KING IDIOT"

And the better stats are from my countryman, Shushei, who is pretty much liked by anyone. And was the MVP on the tourney he won for his team.

Hotshot is a bit less hated now, what with Dignitas being scumbags and so on.

EcksTeaSea:

Half? Optimistic as hell. 25% of best level 30 players (anyone under 30 is terribad or smurf anyway) who play Ranked Games are on the ladder. The numbers go down the better people get...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I hit 1700 this season, was 1850 last season, and I think 90% of players are terrible. 7% are just bad. 3% of all players are decent. And about 0.5% are actually good.

Just to name - there are 120k people on American ladder. Gold bracket consists of... 3% of best players, I think?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Baldr:

No matter how you slice it "Most played game on the planet" is pretty good, paying or no paying. And about 35% of players do pay for stuff.

Not even close to being the "Most played game on the planet" or anything like that. They only have less than half the number of MapleStory's Active Accounts (Over 100 million accounts, 23 million active.) And I don't even know the statistics on some facebook games.

Abedeus:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

And the better stats are from my countryman, Shushei, who is pretty much liked by anyone. And was the MVP on the tourney he won for his team.

Hotshot is a bit less hated now, what with Dignitas being scumbags and so on.

EcksTeaSea:

Half? Optimistic as hell. 25% of best level 30 players (anyone under 30 is terribad or smurf anyway) who play Ranked Games are on the ladder. The numbers go down the better people get...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I hit 1700 this season, was 1850 last season, and I think 90% of players are terrible. 7% are just bad. 3% of all players are decent. And about 0.5% are actually good.

Just to name - there are 120k people on American ladder. Gold bracket consists of... 3% of best players, I think?

While a lot of players are really bad, not everyone is either trash or god-tier. I think I'm decent (1450 last season). It's a negative mindset with just how many leavers, grievers, and trolls LoL has.

Baldr:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Baldr:

Not even close to being the "Most played game on the planet" or anything like that. They only have less than half the number of MapleStory's Active Accounts (Over 100 million accounts, 23 million active.) And I don't even know the statistics on some facebook games.

Fair, how bout "Most Played MOBA on the planet?"

Ive been playing since like july 2010 and i love LoL its so much fun :D

Just recently quit playing lol (lol?) Hit level 30 and decided that was more than enough for this game, especially that everything gets pretty boring by that point. People that are "good", well good considering the 4 different character arc types this game kinda has it's not hard to choose one of the 10 or so "OP" Champs.

It's just kind of for people with massive amounts of time to burn. The more time you spend knowing the ins and outs of every small useful thing, the better you will be, plain and simple.
It's akin to learning an encyclopedia of stuff that is ultimately worthless.

If it had more going for it, other than a ton of asian gamers apparently, I would keep playing yet as it is I'm going to just stick to Skyrim until D3 hits the streets, then I'll have a fun multiplayer experience finally in this perspective.

Thanks for the hours of useless crap and making me think a game can feel like a chore. ^_^

Despite all of this Riot is still as unprofessional and incompetent as most developers get. It doesn't help that their playerbase is mostly awful.

Oh RageshotGG eh? Just watch his stream and you'll get to see a fine sample of how bad a comunity LoL has.

A clip of him in action.

Zeetchmen:
Oh RageshotGG eh? Just watch his stream and you'll get to see a fine sample of how bad a comunity LoL has.

A clip of him in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGJ1SWxyVA&feature=related

Oh wow. I knew people thought the LoL (god that's an awkward acronym) fanbase was awful, but...I don't even know what he's yelling about? This guy's a PROFESSIONAL PLAYER?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

EcksTeaSea:

I don't do Ranked. Though my Normal ELO is roughly 1730.

it's time... Blizzard, it's time to make Warcraft4, and be done with WoW, see... this game is no more than a Mod Map in Warcraft4, think... winning ALL THESE players back, all you have to do was to make a mod!

NameIsRobertPaulson:

While a lot of players are really bad, not everyone is either trash or god-tier. I think I'm decent (1450 last season). It's a negative mindset with just how many leavers, grievers, and trolls LoL has.

Of course not.

0.3% of players are god-tier. Gold bracket is very good. Silver is mediocre.

If you are bronze, below or unranked, you are trash, speaking objectively :/ I mean, you can win in 1300-1400 games by smashing your forehead on the keyboard.

EcksTeaSea:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

EcksTeaSea:

Normal Elo is worth nothing.

Krion_Vark:

And yet it's still not enough

NameIsRobertPaulson:

LoL just has the 3rd worst community on the planet.

I'm guessing in second place is HoN and first place goes to DotA? :P

Oh, MOBA...

Ugh. I really liked this game but now after the changes they did it's quite horrible. The game was nice and I could tolerate the community but now it's just fucking annoying.

DotA till I die! Or till Valve's release of DotA

Yeah I note they don't mention how many of those players actually spend any money on LoL, I'll give you a hint, not many.

Hoplon:
Yeah I note they don't mention how many of those players actually spend any money on LoL, I'll give you a hint, not many.

And that's exactly why the prize pool is 5 million dollars, the biggest in e-sports history.

But, but... it's soooooooo boooooooring! D:<

Abedeus:

EcksTeaSea:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Normal Elo is worth nothing.

I would like to disagree. Play Blind Pick for 2500+ games. Just praying you have a semi decent team comp to counter whatever the hell the enemy has picked. Blind Pick forces you to adapt to whatever the situation is in the moment, while at least in Ranked you have some knowledge of what you're going to face. Ranked might have the majority of bad people, but Normals are even worse. Just because Normal ELO isn't shown, doesn't make it any different from Ranked.

I'd love to play lol, a bunch of my friends do. Sadly Riot is not interested in my business, and i'm not about ot go spend 200+ dollars on Windows just so i can play it.

Gave it a try and didn't hate it but prefer HoN, I'm just used to the visuals and heroes, might go back at some point to mess around

Loved how S2 blatantly ripped off the best bits of LoL :P (money earned from play to buy custom stuff and turning F2P)

Wow! Lol is bigger than wow, lol!

Hahaha sorry just had to do that, I know I'm an idiot. Those are some crazy stats though, but how about publishing the ones regarding paying customers?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here