Square Enix Wants a New Final Fantasy Every Year

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Square Enix Wants a New Final Fantasy Every Year

If Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed can make big money with yearly installments, so can Final Fantasy, says Square Enix.

Back in the day, a new Final Fantasy game was a rare thing. Fans eagerly anticipated each new installment, and politely waited until after the game had come out to proclaim their undying hatred for it on the internet. However, between sequels, remakes, and the occasional flagship title, the market has been somewhat glutted with Final Fantasies lately. In spite of this, series fans may want to prepare for an even more aggressive release schedule: Square Enix wants to take inspiration from bestselling Western game series and release a new title every year.

"I think we took a little too long getting [Final Fantasy XIII] out," says Yoshinori Kitase, a developer and producer of the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII-2. "When you think of Western triple A titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed, they seem to work with a lot shorter turnaround - they make a new game in 1-2 years. That is something we need to follow up, because that seems to be the best way to keep our fans interested and attracted to the franchise." Kitase explains that this paradigm led Square Enix to develop and release Final Fantasy XIII-2 in the space of eighteen months.

While it's true that yearly installments in ongoing series can help keep fans hooked, they have varying degrees of success. While Call of Duty broke sales records for every entertainment medium in existence, Ubisoft braced itself for a steep decline in sales for Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Furthermore, if gaming forums are any indication, Final Fantasy XIII did not sit well with fans primarily due to a poorly paced story and ultra-linear level design, not its development time.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 looks fine, but will probably not win over many new fans for the series. Releasing a new Final Fantasy title every year could prove lucrative in the short-term, but what do Final Fantasy fans really want: consistency or innovation? Within a few years, the sales figures will tell.

Source: Gamereactor

If they can't up the quality of the games and bring something new to the table, all they are going to do is drive their most profitable brand into the ground. But hey, maybe being under a tight schedule will force them to innovate and change things up. Or maybe not. We shall see.

Personally, I would prefer to wait for a new Final Fantasy title instead of getting one every year. If Square Enix can't maintain the level of quality that has gone into Final Fantasy games so far, I wouldn't find it to be worth the cost of a new game annually. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

/SMACK

BAD SQEENIX, BAD!!!! We do that outside !
. How abop
Look at em,they know what they did.

EDIT
Heres a thought, How about you finish the projects ya got before you try to expand output. Seriously, Vs is filling the void of vaporware left by Duke Nukem. Announced 5 years ago and still no release date in sight.

With two teams working on separate titles they could release a new title every two years while putting 4 years dev time into each title.

Let's not forget, during the franchises peak, they were putting out games that quickly. Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 all came out in a 4 year period. 7 came out in Sep 1997 and 10 came out in Dec 2001. Taking so long between titles (MMO's notwithstanding) has hurt them.

Another sign that the world is coming to an end...

I'll tell you what they need to do, leave Final Fantasy alone and work on these damn games instead.

1. Einhander 2

2. Another Chrono trigger or Chrono Cross

3. Secret of Evermore 2

4. Another Secret of Mana or Legend of Mana game

A new FF game every year?

Joy. I look forward to the hundreds of threads that will come on here talking about how there are too many RPG's on the market and how they are ruining the game industry.

Every two years would be good enough. Just stop wasting your teams on direct sequels, which will inevitably make less money than a major installment, and you should be fine.

Revnak:
Every two years would be good enough. Just stop wasting your teams on direct sequels, which will inevitably make less money than a major installment, and you should be fine.

Direct sequels cost alot less since they re-use the resources.

Wow, that is not a good read of the market. I mean, they all want that CoD money, those games are short and simple compared to Final Fantasy titles (in general).

Now THAT'S a Fantasy

Square, have you ever heard of the expression "quality over quantity"?

Now then, how about you put Final Fantasy down for a moment and give us a new Mana game instead?

The fans are still pretty hurt after Dawn and Heroes and we need something to make us feel better.

One game per year, or sections of one game over the course of years?
FFXV-4 anyone?

Strain42:
Square, have you ever heard of the expression "quality over quantity"?

Now then, how about you put Final Fantasy down for a moment and give us a new Mana game instead?

The fans are still pretty hurt after Dawn and Heroes and we need something to make us feel better.

Really, you want another failed Mana game? The last great Mana game was on the SNES and every one since then has been a failure. What makes you think the next Mana game will be great?

I thought there WAS a new Final Fantasy game every year, in one form or another.

Priorities, Squeenix.

If your focus is the fans, you'd be wise to aware that we're used to the wait; most of us have been through more than 2 other final fantasy titles, or at least know about/want to play others. A final fantasy every year doesn't fix the stinking bog that I see ahead as your future releases.

Plus, no one likes to pay for an installment every year. Call of Duty players play a very similar game every year (admit it), while it does sell well, it's just....Call of Duty. You can't play that game with story-focused titles like Final Fantasy. It always seems Squeenix's next 'best' idea for FF sends it further down the toilet...

Mr Pantomime:
I thought there WAS a new Final Fantasy game every year, in one form or another.

Not main series titles, numbered titles.

And yet Versus XIII still remains almost totally under wraps.

Too much Final Fantasy, Squeenix. At least try to break out of re-releasing Final Fantasy VII with slight modifications and calling it a sequel (shut up, you know they totally do that).

Every studio wants to do that, Square.
It's just that Ubisoft and Activision have money to do that.

You need start makin dat paper before you be rollin big, naw'mean? "Gotta start workin dem streets, befo you be buildin dem streets." Emily Dickinson said dat, and dat bitch was smart or some shit.

For the love of god. I know you guys are in a hole financially but you need a good game. Not sequels (Seriously, the VII stuff I get but we didn't need a 10-2 or a 13-2)and not more frequently.
Please release another good Final Fantasy that doesn't stick to the style of 10 through 13. It was fine for 10 because it was new but it's gotten super old now and you even ruined Ivalice with it. Ivalice was amazing and awesome when it was straight up Knights and Wizards fantasy with a Final Fantasy twist a la FFT. The appeal of FF has always been new worlds and universes so stop rehashing the same themes and art style.

This is my personal opinion of the FF series, sorry if you disagree, that's fine as your opinion is just as valid as mine.

You can churn out a film every year?

/sarcasm

How about making a good Final Fantasy game...
ZOMGREMAKEFF7! <-- Also /sarcasm

OMFG. How can Kitase know so little about his own fucking franchise? A new Final Fantasy means an entirely new universe, not just continuing the same story with the same characters. It's almost like creating a new IP with every installment. And you simply can't create a new AAA IP in one year nowadays.

My love for Final Fantasy is already wavering, please don't put the final nail in the coffin with this kind of bullshit.

Unless he means a spin-off of sorts every year between each main installment. Which I could be fine with.

Crono1973:

Revnak:

Direct sequels cost alot less since they re-use the resources.

I was going to include something about just reusing the engine once or twice as well, but I didn't. That would be my solution to that problem, reuse an engine for once, there's nothing wrong with that.

Kwatsu:
And yet Versus XIII still remains almost totally under wraps.

the damn thing has been in development for almost as many years as its roman numerals

Kakulukia:
OMFG. How can Kitase know so little about his own fucking franchise? A new Final Fantasy means an entirely new universe, not just continuing the same story with the same characters. It's almost like creating a new IP with every installment. And you simply can't create a new AAA IP in one year nowadays.

When it comes between you and Kitase and who has the most knowledge of the Final Fantasy series, I'm gonna go with Kitase. You understand, yeah?

Fine release a new FF every year go ahead. Just follow the Jimquisition's suggestions when doing so.

I have mixed feelings on this....the last Final Fantasy I got was XIII and it was awesome, before that, the last square enix game I got was the World Ends With You....Now while I'd love it if they JUST released a game every year, I'm afraid in particular, a new final Fantasy every year, will just squeeze my ever loved franchise dry in probably the next two years. I'd rather it be every other year and allow for some new talent to come up and give us stuff that could be as potentially awesome as TWEWY was without being Final Fantasy...that and it would probably hinder the development of Kingdom Hearts 3, which by now isn't going to be their greatest piece of work ever, will probably incite mass riot.

Shark Wrangler:
I'll tell you what they need to do, leave Final Fantasy alone and work on these damn games instead.

YES!! Thank you! Come on Squeenix! Where's my damn Chrono Break already?? How much money did you make on the DS and VC releases of Chrono Trigger? Don't you want some more of that? Yeah, you do. We all know you do.

Also, Vs. XIII now yes please?

ChildofGallifrey:

Shark Wrangler:

YES!! Thank you! Come on Squeenix! Where's my damn Chrono Break already?? How much money did you make on the DS and VC releases of Chrono Trigger? Don't you want some more of that? Yeah, you do. We all know you do.

Also, Vs. XIII now yes please?

Also Chrono Cross was released on PSN 2 weeks ago.

No no no, good games do not come out a year apart! When has that ever happened? There was what, 2 or 3 years between Assassin's Creed 1 and 2? Then 3 came out a year later and made virtually no impovements and lacked in story. A new Call of Duty comes out every year and where the multiplayer (usually) steadily improves with each new release the single player is always too shallow and linear for me.

You would need to already have an established game engine (or whatever I just play games) that you weren't going to change or upgrade every year, you'd have to re-use locations and settings and you'd probably have to be making sequals if you could even consider releasing good, new games every year (or an unbelievable amount of money and people working on it).

Just because Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed does it doesn't mean its a good idea. But hey, movies only take about a year or less to make so if any one could pull it off Final Fantasy could.

Innovation! We (and when I say we I mean me) want innovation please!

Crono1973:

Let's not forget, during the franchises peak, they were putting out games that quickly. Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 all came out in a 4 year period. 7 came out in Sep 1997 and 10 came out in Dec 2001. Taking so long between titles (MMO's notwithstanding) has hurt them.

During this period they worked largely on the same engine, and design software. They had to rewrite it for FFXII, and FFXIII, which cause an extensively longer design cycle and less actual work on the games. If I remember correctly they recently signed a deal with Unreal, which means they will again be working with similar engines and tools, conceivably over a multiple game period, leading to faster development times, and more engaging content.

So I find this to be a possible good. Square has destroyed the franchise in my opinion, and if they can return to those amazing roots, making great games like Final Fantasy VI, there may be hope yet..

I mean Sonic Generations was good after all, nobody saw that coming! It is possible!

*sticks fingers in ears*

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaiseenothinghearnothinglalalalalalalalala

XII was the first FF where I couldn't finish the second (and third) playthroughs, XIII was the first I didn't buy nor bother finishing...now I just wonder how these guys stay in business. They were going stir crazy long before the tsunami, and this is the proof. To think this same company has yet to ruin DQ.

Marshall Honorof:
but what do Final Fantasy fans really want: consistency or innovation?

Well seeing as they're failing at innovation, I'll take the consistency.

Seriously, better odds of there being something enjoyable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here