There's More to Skyrim Than Skyrim

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

It turns out entire continents from previous Elder Scrolls games are hidden beyond Skyrim's borders.

Like a true Nord, when determined explorer Jesse was faced with the invisible wall that marks the edge of Skyrim, he broke out the noclip console command and kept on going. He wandered through a poorly textured wasteland until finally he came across a pair of peculiarly familiar landscapes; Morrowind and Cyrodil from the previous Elder Scrolls games.

The "continents" are merely blurry landmasses with a singular distant texture, though Cyrodil does still have the iconic White Gold tower which dominated the horizon in Oblivion. It's unclear at this point what the landmasses are for, as you can't reach or even see them without the use of the noclip code. Some users have suggested the landmasses served as a scale reference during the construction of the Skyrim region, while others reckon they're there for the benefit of the inevitable wave of modders that will come out of the woodwork when Skyrim's official mod tools are released.

Cyrodiil and Morrowind expansions would be lovely.

Grey Carter:

The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.

They did say they wanted their DLC to be huge. I'd have never thought they'd make it that huge, though.

NO! Stop, you fool! You'll fall of the edge of Nirn!

It's certainly going to help with the inevitable SkyriMorrOblivion crossover mod. Pretty cool that it's included. Something for noclipsplorers to seek out.

Oh the mods.
Nothing like a game that just constantly gets better for free.

This is madness!
At least the modders have space to create without having to go over something which is already finished.

I know cyrodiil by now, though the ability to become emperor would be nice. But how about High Rock? Black march? Daggerfall? Etc? I want to see some new areas. My hopes are that they'll try to recreate all of Tamriel in this game, either as expansions or DLC. Or mods if they let us down, of course.

Preferably not with seperate locations(from the main game) like the Fallout DLC locations, but an addition to the open world. That would be nice. (My pc wouldn't agree though)

I pray for DLC that opens up Morrowind (and adds the full map textures of course) and Cyrodill. That would be fucking awesomesocks.

Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?

Intresting... Now of only the game would quit crashing on me! I want to play, not watch my loading screen freeze.

In Oblivion they had lots of landscape outside of the borders of the game map. Didnt mean anything though.

Think it was only there so for example when you were flung up into the air during the Knights of the Nine quest, you had something to look at if you had infinite draw distance on - could be the same here, or just something the devs flung in for people who would noclip out.

Considering how low res it all is, I doubt its for a specific DLC thing or similar :(

Ap07h30515:
Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?

Well if they could do it 1994 I bet they could do it now!

Eh, I'm guessing it's just a case of the dev thinking of everything.

Though it will no doubt help modders.

Ap07h30515:

Considering modders managed to combine Cyrodiil, Elsewyr, and Valenwood into one large landmass... chances are pretty good.

I also think there's a resource mod that adds Hammerfell as well. Probably floating around the internet somewhere. Can't seem to find it though.

I'm betting this is for DLC that expands on the whole civil war thing. The mods will just be an unexpected bonus (BTW we don't need the official mod tools, we've already figured out how to change everything).

Wasn't Morrowind destroyed after the Oblivion Crisis?

Possibly all of Tamriel as mods or official expansions? Yes, please!

"It turns out entire continents"

Tamriel is the continent, the games take place in provinces.

John the Gamer:
I know cyrodiil by now, though the ability to become emperor would be nice. But how about High Rock? Black march? Daggerfall? Etc? I want to see some new areas.

That's what the actual full-size games are for.

OT: They had the same thing for Oblivion, its just there for appearance's sake.

Dastardly:

Grey Carter:

The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.

How would multiplayer work? Just have a persistent world where everyone is just kind of running around doing their own thing? 'Cause that would do horrible things for immersion.

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.

One of the first things I done was see if I could see the White Gold Tower

Just thought of something, this gives Bethesda a reasonable crossover/remake potential as well. Think of it, HD remake of Morrowind with the new engine/physics and/or update of Oblivion as DLC/xpacs. Either way that would be cool, plus perhaps a return to the Shivering Isles and perhaps a little more insight on how Oblivion's main character has been doing as the new Sheogorath.

Que the Tamriel expansion in 3..2..1..

With the main story being to kick the Thalmor out of Tamriel and become the new emperor.

Or hell if your making such a giant game anyway why not an Elder Scrolls MMO titled Tamriel, and keep the Skyrim leveling system. Bethesda isn't going to be able to make the Fallout MMO anytime soon so they should capitalize on TES, and build up MMO experience while they are at it. Unless the whole reason they want to do a Fallout MMO in the first place is to prep for a TES MMO.

My guess would be for some DLC that lets you return to Morrowind and Cyrodill in some sort of capacity.

Kopikatsu:

Dastardly:

Grey Carter:

How would multiplayer work? Just have a persistent world where everyone is just kind of running around doing their own thing? 'Cause that would do horrible things for immersion.

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.

You'd make all the interiors and dungeons instanced for your party, and reset monthly, keep the towns and world open for PvP.

I'm pretty sure they just made those models so you could see stuff in the distance, instead of just a grey square, when at the very edge of the map.

Edit: Also, multiplayer would utterly destroy everything good and nice about TES. If you want to play multiplayer fantasy games, go elsewhere but leave TES the fuck alone. Last thing we need is Bethesda getting silly ideas and ruining the series.

Wait a second. Follow my reasoning here.
Martin Septim was technically descended from a Dovahkiin (Tiber Septim). Therefore, the Dragonborn are the rightful rulers of the Empire. So maybe the DLC will include the Imperial City. Hell, maybe you get to become Emperor. Lead a coup or something.
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see what Cyrodiil looks like.

newwiseman:

Kopikatsu:

Dastardly:

You'd make all the interiors and dungeons instanced for your party, and reset monthly, keep the towns and world open for PvP.

PvP can never happen. I mean, technically it can, but it shouldn't. It's so horrifically easy to break the combat system that you'd just have a ton of people running around, one shotting everyone else. Not to mention the 3-4 time slowing skills would have to slow the time for everyone playing at the same time in order to work properly...

Considering just Skyrim was a whole game, all of Tamriel seems a bit much to expect from even two expansions, let alone DLC, but perhaps they will let us travel to just Cyrodiil and Morrowind in an expansion. They already did the inhabitable daedric realm with Shivering Isles, so maybe simply pushing out the invisible wall will be the way a Skyrim expansion will take us? Though as Fasckira said we can't take it for granted these landscapes are there to be travelled to, especially when you consider that from the description they are completely bare and blurry. I can't help wondering if these landscapes were copy-pasted directly from the code of TESIII and TESIV or if they are new creations of Cyrodiil and Morrowind based on the geography lore and the old games.

If the expansion for Skyrim does take place in Cyrodiil and Morrowind, then that seems to make more likely something I've been thinking: TESVI will be set in the Aldmeri Dominion - according to Delphine of the Blades it controls at least 3 out of the 4 provinces yet to be used as a setting for TES (except all-encompassing Arena of course). The next Elder Scrolls might be the first not to be set in the Empire.

Kopikatsu:

Dastardly:

Grey Carter:

It's a mildly unreasonable desire, I realize. But I don't really mean this game in particular, but this experience, in this world. Being able to take on tasks with my friends, trading and diversifying within the group...

Dastardly:

Kopikatsu:

Dastardly:

It's a mildly unreasonable desire, I realize. But I don't really mean this game in particular, but this experience, in this world. Being able to take on tasks with my friends, trading and diversifying within the group...

No, I think that multiplayer would be cool. It's just that...the game would need to be altered dramatically to accommodate it. (The entire combat/enchant system would need an overhaul for balance, time slowing/stealth skills would probably have to be removed, etc etc). Bethesda has never been good at balance.

However...it might work if only people you allowed to join you could. If anyone is allowed to join...

The most important thing to keep in mind is 'If given the opportunity, many people will choose to be an asshole.' I can see all of the stealth archers lurking around dungeons, just waiting for someone unsuspecting to approach...

Blargh McBlargh:
I'm pretty sure they just made those models so you could see stuff in the distance, instead of just a grey square, when at the very edge of the map.

Edit: Also, multiplayer would utterly destroy everything good and nice about TES. If you want to play multiplayer fantasy games, go elsewhere but leave TES the fuck alone. Last thing we need is Bethesda getting silly ideas and ruining the series.

Yeah, getting the real DnD experience with some friends in TES, a game based in a setting kind of based on DnD would be HORRIBLE. I despise such an idea!

Frostbite3789:
Yeah, getting the real DnD experience with some friends in TES, a game based in a setting kind of based on DnD would be HORRIBLE. I despise such an idea!

TES is NOT DnD, nor has it ever been.

The games have always been highly story-driven SINGLE player games. Suddenly having two Nerevarine/Heroes of Kvatch/Dragonborns running around would utterly ruin this.

Again, go play some other generic fantasy game if you want multiplayer.

They said that they wanted their DLC to be freaking huge. Perhaps we're going to New age Cyrodil and Morrowind?

Morrowind isn't that big compared to Skyrim and Cyrodil.

I think it's worth speculating, because that would be bloody impressive if they managed it, and I would 100% definitely cash in to experience that.

I doubt it's for scaling though, even if it was why create two of the zones? Why not just one? And why include landmarks, and why spend days on end sculpting that sort of landscape?

I've used the TES dev tools, and the new dev tools can't be much different from the old ones, it's hard to create any sort of landmass, so creating two entire territories with a reasonable amount of detail that the nobody but modders and console code users will ever see? I very much doubt it. I think there may be a dragon threat elsewhere in Tamriel, would set up the expansion packs or DLC easily.

EverythingIncredible:
Cyrodiil and Morrowind expansions would be lovely.

Oh, for the love of god I hope this happens. I desperately hope this happens. If bethesda announce this I will suck Todd Howard's cock.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here