There's More to Skyrim Than Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Kopikatsu:
However...it might work if only people you allowed to join you could. If anyone is allowed to join...

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.

The most important thing to keep in mind is 'If given the opportunity, many people will choose to be an asshole.' I can see all of the stealth archers lurking around dungeons, just waiting for someone unsuspecting to approach...

And that's what I mean. For some reason, everyone assumes "MMO" when they hear "multiplayer." Or they mean "shoehorned game mode."

I just mean the option to invite some friends and roam the countryside in the same world. I do the enchanting, Eric does the smithing, David throws magic, Christy swings the two-handed axe... Would the content be super easy? Sure. Who cares? It's too awesome a world not to share with friends, I feel.

Seriously, picture the whole game without NPCs. Empty, dead, boring. Well... what's awful about replacing some of the NPC "companions" with your own friends and just kicking around? No harm to anyone.

That would be ridiculous if they had the entirity of both Morrowind and Cyrodil.

Skyrim doesn't have mod tools yet? I guess they gotta sell some horse armor before people make better stuff for free in half the time.

My mind just exploded out of the pure win of that.

Ap07h30515:
Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?

Depends on how difficult it is to port the landscape from oblivion and morrowind into this, and how much they want to up the polycount and texture res. I would love to see cyrodil now, how much it has changed.

Dastardly:

The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.

Be careful what you wish for, SP is one of the main reasons TES is so great.

OT I want to seeeee! It sounds awesome :D *goes to look*

And so the modderīs quest beggin.

And when the expansions come along, a modded game will have gigantic file fucks, but thatīs okay, itīs still Skyrim.

DustyDrB:
They did say they wanted their DLC to be huge. I'd have never thought they'd make it that huge, though.

Well, the plot kinda sets it up for a huge conflict with the Thalmor/Aldmerri Dominion. Let's hope.

Kopikatsu:

Dastardly:

Grey Carter:

The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.

How would multiplayer work? Just have a persistent world where everyone is just kind of running around doing their own thing? 'Cause that would do horrible things for immersion.

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.

I would love to play this game co-op, not as a MMO. Sadly it's only single-player.

Elder Scrolls VII comes after VI and includes all the landmasses of Tamriel like Skyrim, Morrowind, Cyrodil, the place the the Argonians come from. There's only one catch. No fast travel.

JMeganSnow:

DustyDrB:
They did say they wanted their DLC to be huge. I'd have never thought they'd make it that huge, though.

Well, the plot kinda sets it up for a huge conflict with the Thalmor/Aldmerri Dominion. Let's hope.

I would pay full goddamn price for such a thing, and it would explain why there's a roadway to nowhere barred by an invisible wall near a gate - they're going to let us cross the border. That would also explain why no-one in Skyrim besdies two Imperial officers noticed that the civil war has been won, mostly thanks to me, an apparently decorated Legate and war hero in the legion - they're going to implement that later.

I hope.

I would look forward to an addon that has you back in Cyrodil fighting the Thalmor. With dragons.

When I see this, I want to cry. Damn you failing hard drive! Damn you!

Karthek:
I would look forward to an addon that has you back in Cyrodil fighting the Thalmor. With dragons.

This. I want to see this, would be awesome.

What this seems like it could be is. That they are continually adding provinces to the world to keep up appearances also to continue making the Elder Scrolls games as pretty as they can be and eventually after all is said and done. And the Elder Scrolls series potentially dies, they release the whole world on one game in a future generation.

Amnestic:
It's certainly going to help with the inevitable SkyriMorrOblivion crossover mod.

...Now with 100% more Fargoth. :)

Blargh McBlargh:

Frostbite3789:
Yeah, getting the real DnD experience with some friends in TES, a game based in a setting kind of based on DnD would be HORRIBLE. I despise such an idea!

TES is NOT DnD, nor has it ever been.

The games have always been highly story-driven SINGLE player games. Suddenly having two Nerevarine/Heroes of Kvatch/Dragonborns running around would utterly ruin this.

Again, go play some other generic fantasy game if you want multiplayer.

uhh dude? TES is openly using DnD as source material just like baulders gat and a few other games and also...besides kvatch being in oblivion it is possible to have "heroes" of kvatch and also not to mention the greybeards even mentioned the fact there could be MANY dragonbornes at anytime, the greybeards just dont always find every one of them

Neocavo:
uhh dude? TES is openly using DnD as source material just like baulders gat and a few other games and also...besides kvatch being in oblivion it is possible to have "heroes" of kvatch and also not to mention the greybeards even mentioned the fact there could be MANY dragonbornes at anytime, the greybeards just dont always find every one of them

Hey, here's a secret for you, just make sure you don't tell anyone else, alright? Ready? Here it goes: the high fantasy genre has been around since before D&D. I know, shock and horror!

If anything, every modern fantasy rips off LOTR. The pointy-eared, fair-faced elves you see everywhere these days find their origins in LOTR. Same for the dwarves being depicted as small, hairy and loving to fight/drink.

And finally, the Greybeards themselves have mentioned there hasn't been a dragonborn since Tiber Septim himself, which has been several centuries.

Hope it's a DLC cos I have a console

my hard drive probably wouldn't be able to support it though. meh

Dastardly:
[...]

And that's what I mean. For some reason, everyone assumes "MMO" when they hear "multiplayer." Or they mean "shoehorned game mode."

I just mean the option to invite some friends and roam the countryside in the same world. I do the enchanting, Eric does the smithing, David throws magic, Christy swings the two-handed axe... Would the content be super easy? Sure. Who cares? It's too awesome a world not to share with friends, I feel.

Seriously, picture the whole game without NPCs. Empty, dead, boring. Well... what's awful about replacing some of the NPC "companions" with your own friends and just kicking around? No harm to anyone.

I don't see the reason of this. Me and my Skyrim Playing friends enjoy sharing stories of our own different Dovahkins, we exchange Alchemy recepies, places to visit and wonderous encounters we had so far. I don't need my friends to loiter around MY Whiterun and MY Solitude and MY House and MY Horse and MY Lydia. It's my gaming and I want to share the moments I chose...
I can even share screenshots or youtube clips if I deem them important enough to be shared...

If you want socializing AND gameing at the same time but lack the capability of sharing the medium by conventional (e.g. verbal) means, try Farmville or WOW. But please stop thinking that redistributing the manpower from the main TES VI project towards multiplayer IMPROVES general quality of the product. In my opinion that's a sad delusion...

Oh how I wish I could co-op this with my boyfriend. Too bad fanboys would flame and have a screaming fit if they ever did that.
*sigh*

Blargh McBlargh:

Neocavo:

Hey, here's a secret for you, just make sure you don't tell anyone else, alright? Ready? Here it goes: the high fantasy genre has been around since before D&D. I know, shock and horror!

If anything, every modern fantasy rips off LOTR. The pointy-eared, fair-faced elves you see everywhere these days find their origins in LOTR. Same for the dwarves being depicted as small, hairy and loving to fight/drink.

And finally, the Greybeards themselves have mentioned there hasn't been a dragonborn since Tiber Septim himself, which has been several centuries.

yes your most likely correct that most modern fantasy games rip off lord of the rings for races and what not but the game mechanics started in DnD. like stats and dice roll based damage and things like that. i said the greybeards mention there COULD BE many dragonbornes at any one time not that there are so there maybe more than just yourself in the time period that skyrim is based in

Fasckira:
In Oblivion they had lots of landscape outside of the borders of the game map. Didnt mean anything though.

Think it was only there so for example when you were flung up into the air during the Knights of the Nine quest, you had something to look at if you had infinite draw distance on - could be the same here, or just something the devs flung in for people who would noclip out.

Considering how low res it all is, I doubt its for a specific DLC thing or similar :(

Well you are thrown up into the sky for one of the Daedric prince quests while talking with them. Pretty much the exact same thing as in the Knights of the Nine DLC.

Denamic:

Dastardly:

Grey Carter:

Multiplayer needs to stay the fuck away from TES games.
They are single player games and needs to remain single player.

People like you are why we can't have nice things. Co-op Skyrim with my friends would be the best experience in a long, long time.

Multiplayer does not have to be MMORPG. Saints Row is the perfect example of a well made coop modus, and coop is multiplayer.

People always think "multiplayer => mmo". Being able to play the game with 1-3 friends would be fine, and they could implement it. Would you lose immersion? Yes. Would you be forced to play it? No.
So if they could do a coop modus, i'd gladly see one in the game. Since right now, my friends and i are all playing Skyrim + talkin' via Skype/Ts anyway. So why can't we just explore the shit together?

And yes, an open big world multiplayer would suck in the current form.

About the "All Tamriel TES" Game. IF they wanted to put as much detail into the whole tamriel as they did with Skyrim + keep the ratios of the regions; meaning Skyrim would stay as it is then add Cyrrodil and everyother region with its correct size, they'd probably need 10 years to create that game.
At least.

I'm close to 40h into Skyrim and have seen basically nothing, or at least i still have the feeling that i've ages of exploring ahead of me. Now multiplying this by (how many regions does tamriel have? 9, 10?) i'd say i could dump between 200-300h of playin' into that.
Casual players would be overwhelmed by the sheer size of the game. THAT would call for an MMO, i'd say.

A modern, unbuggy version of Daggerfall? I can't wait.

No Bethesda please you've already taken so much of my life already. Making these areas accessible would warrant full commitment to my new life as a citizen of Tamriel.

No no no, we shouldn't be discussing MASSIVELY multiplayer Elder Scrolls games.

However, to say that having co-op TES games is bad, now THAT is crazy. How could including something like co-op ruin a series?

Personally, I think that a couple of the mappers and terrain guys got together and did it as a fan service. The DLC for Skyrim is all supposed to be smaller than Shivering Isles, so that rules out adding any of the other provinces.

That, or they just gave the modders a basic outline to work with, for the sake of being nice.

Still, I suppose that we could potentially get DLC that would add in Solstheim(?) Or an area like Bruma, so that we could see a bit more of Temriel in this new time period.

/edit
As for co-op, I'm not sure how I feel. My immediate fanboy reaction is to attack it, but I've been in party chat with a friend while we play Skyrim, and it can be frustrating to try and explain things to him, or to understand what he's describing. For that reason, I can see the appeal of drop in co-op, of the sort you find in Fable or the Lego games. Nothing that changes any of the plot or dialogue - just being able to have a friend drop into your world and kill things with you. That said, while it might be cool, it's hardly necessary, and I'm not particularly fussed either way.

TL;DR (That's right, this is how low my opinion is of your attention span...)

Drop in co-op, maybe?

Certainly not multiplayer, certainly nothing that would require dialogue changes, just something simple. Think Lego Star Wars. :P

BlueFishie:
People like you are why we can't have nice things. Co-op Skyrim with my friends would be the best experience in a long, long time.

People like me?
Really? Thanks.
Well, people like you are the reason games like Bioshock and Dead Space gets multiplayer.

Denamic:

BlueFishie:

People like me?
Really? Thanks.
Well, people like you are the reason games like Bioshock and Dead Space gets multiplayer.

Actually, this is the reason games like Bioshock and Dead Space got multiplayer.

Denamic:

BlueFishie:

People like me?
Really? Thanks.

Because Bioshock and Dead Space are widely regarded as such terrible games, right?

Besides, I don't think anyone is asking for deathmatch, as that kind of multiplayer in a game like Skyrim would just be a complete waste of time. More akin to a co-op mode for a small, close group. Again, why do people insist on throwing a fit because others are asking for the feature? The only way it would conceivably change the game for those not interested in it would be one more clickable button at the main menu.

BlueFishie:

Denamic:

BlueFishie:

People like me?
Really? Thanks.

Because Bioshock and Dead Space are widely regarded as such terrible games, right?

No, but their multiplayer modes are.
Many hundreds, if not thousands, of manhours were wasted working on that.

Besides, I don't think anyone is asking for deathmatch, as that kind of multiplayer in a game like Skyrim would just be a complete waste of time. More akin to a co-op mode for a small, close group. Again, why do people insist on throwing a fit because others are asking for the feature? The only way it would conceivably change the game for those not interested in it would be one more clickable button at the main menu.

Not like it would take months and a shitload of resources to completely rework the game engine that doesn't have any network code.

Denamic:

BlueFishie:

Denamic:

People like me?
Really? Thanks.

No, but their multiplayer modes are.
Many hundreds, if not thousands, of manhours were wasted working on that.

Not like it would take months and a shitload of resources to completely rework the game engine that doesn't have any network code.

Bioshock and Dead Space are, again, irrelevant to this topic. Their multiplayer modes are shit. What's your point? That all multiplayer modes are shit automatically? Then you're plain out wrong! No one wants deathmatch in Skyrim.

Yes, it would take time. Developing a game generally takes time. Sell it separately as DLC for all I care, since haters are so furious at the possibility of co-op.

While it would be awesome for this to mean expansions it could be because during the Mephala quest you get thrown up into the air. Then again if that was the reason it would only make sense to include High Rock too...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here