There's More to Skyrim Than Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

When I saw this I had to see it for myself, sadly this is what I found:
The lands aren't complete. Keep going far enough and the land falls away to inifinity (it doesn't cut off in a 'waiting to load' kind of way, it deliberately falls away). For Vvardenfell this happens just east of Red Mountain's peak. The eastern edge of Vvardenfell, the entire Grazeland area, is not in game. Similar for Cyrodil but heading south. For both regions the drop-off occurs beyond maximum draw distance from Skyrim's borders. These areas are built in just in case someone manages to climb to mountain-border without hitting an invisible wall and gives them somethiing to see. The only part of White-Gold Tower drawn is the side that faces Skyrim.

Try it yourself. Going 'free cam' is the only way past those invisible wall. The command is TFC.

Rensenhito:
Wait a second. Follow my reasoning here.
Martin Septim was technically descended from a Dovahkiin (Tiber Septim). Therefore, the Dragonborn are the rightful rulers of the Empire. So maybe the DLC will include the Imperial City. Hell, maybe you get to become Emperor. Lead a coup or something.
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see what Cyrodiil looks like.

Isn't the new Skyrim game set 200 years after Martin Septim becomes a dragon statue at the end of Oblivion. Because if so, how can HE be a descendent of Dovahkiin.

Unless you mean it the other way around?

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong... Wasn't Morrowind destroyed by a meteor?
Maybe that was just a rumor I heard...

Either way, I have a feeling I'll be getting this game sooner then I thought. I was waiting for it to get bundled with the DLC, but really... is it worth that long a wait? No.

Is it too much to hope for a morrowind and or cyrodil stand-alone expansion pack?

jFr[e]ak93:
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong... Wasn't Morrowind destroyed by a meteor?
Maybe that was just a rumor I heard...

After the events of TES III, Vivec (a physical god, canonically still alive at this point) was captured by Daedra in his weakened state. Since he was keeping an asteroid suspended above the island in mid-strike (which he converted into a prison for religious heretics, because why not), without his influence, it regained its velocity, striking Vvardenfell and causing the volcano in the center of the island to erupt. This left most of Morrowind uninhabitable, and what was left over was invaded by the Argonians, who hadn't taken kindly to years of slavery by the Dunmer in Morrowind.

How much memory space do you think they could save if they removed all of the land besides Skyrim and the immediate surrounding lands?

CardinalPiggles:

Rensenhito:
Martin Septim was technically descended from a Dovahkiin (Tiber Septim). Therefore, the Dragonborn are the rightful rulers of the Empire. So maybe the DLC will include the Imperial City. Hell, maybe you get to become Emperor. Lead a coup or something.

Isn't the new Skyrim game set 200 years after Martin Septim becomes a dragon statue at the end of Oblivion. Because if so, how can HE be a descendent of Dovahkiin.

Your player character is not THE Dovahkiin. You are A Dovahkiin, ie. dragonborn.
What he's saying is that Tiber Septim was a Dovahkiin, a Dragonborn, and the emperors were his descendants.

I am thoroughly impressed by this.

TheBelgianGuy:

CardinalPiggles:

Rensenhito:

Your player character is not THE Dovahkiin. You are A Dovahkiin, ie. dragonborn.
What he's saying is that Tiber Septim was a Dovahkiin, a Dragonborn, and the emperors were his descendants.

Oh, my mistake. I haven't played Skyrim yet so I didn't know. I thought Dovahkiin was just the protagonists name.

MMO? Goddamn, if there's one way to ruin the appeal of TES, you just found it.

As hard as I try, I CANNOT IMAGINE ANYTHING WORSE.

Games that try to take themselves seriously and go MMO become PvP blood baths. Eventually, the regular/casual players (who make up 75% of the paying community) get the shits because everytime they get a chance to get on, they get pack raped by fuckwits who just lurk waiting for passing noobs to lynch for PvP experience. And then 75% of the gaming community say 'fuck this .. I can't step outside of town because of all the lurking gankers' and quit. There goes revenue. And those fucktards who made them leave? Now they have no one to gank, so they quit.

Bang. Game goes to hell with vast, empty worlds with one or two people nervous the other is one of the gankers wandering old haunts.

Ap07h30515:
Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?

Well morroroblivion has worked, so why not?

John the Gamer:
I know cyrodiil by now, though the ability to become emperor would be nice. But how about High Rock? Black march? Daggerfall? Etc? I want to see some new areas. My hopes are that they'll try to recreate all of Tamriel in this game, either as expansions or DLC. Or mods if they let us down, of course.

Preferably not with seperate locations(from the main game) like the Fallout DLC locations, but an addition to the open world. That would be nice. (My pc wouldn't agree though)

There's already a mod out for New Vegas that blends it at FO3 together, provided you have both games - though it's still a loading screen apart.

I seem to recall an in-the-works Oblivion mod that was actually building an accessible Skyrim and stuff, without the need for separate locations.

Obviously nobody really uses that mod too much now, buuuut... We DO know it can be done.

CardinalPiggles:

Rensenhito:

I mean that there's a new Dovahkiin in town, and it's the PC.
So the player could, if he or she so desired, mount a coup against the Empire on grounds of being... you know, all dragony. Like the Septims.

I never liked the name White Gold Tower. It always seemed lacking.

OT, you can do similar exploring in Oblivion, though I think it just loops back tot eh other side of the.

However, when I first played Morrowind, I hacke dmy character and gave him a 1000 Agility score, so that he could jump like a freak. I ended up jumping so far tha tI ended up in some sort of weird, endless ocean filled with nothing but dreug.

I was just thinking it would be extremely cool if you could somehow combine the ES3 ES4 and ES5 into one title and allow the player to explore the content from vivec city all the way to Skyrim. Of course then I might not be able to leave my living room ever again.

Nearly as cool would be the ability to see an mirrowind "modern" day as it were. Explore the old dungeons and see maybe a return of the dwimer or check up on the old houses. Become the head of the mage's guild on three regions.

*EDIT*

If they do just open the area for mod'ers then someone should create a mirrowind recreation society and try to rebuild as much of mirrowind as reasonable.

Strazdas:

Ap07h30515:
Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?

What is this morrowblivion and why haven't I heard of it before?

*EDIT*

http://morroblivion.com/

I just want to say that is sooo cool. I was just thinking it would be cool to rebuild mirrowind and crydil in Skyrim, and someone has. Well at least rebuilt mirrowind in Oblivion, but still.

Now what we need is a project to build out updated versions of both in the same time period as Skyrim.

jthwilliams:

Strazdas:

Ap07h30515:

The long and short of it? It's a mod which incorporates Morrowind into Oblivion's engine. Official site, as far as I can tell, is here.

Edit: Well you went and found it yourself. Guess my post is useless :(

Amnestic:

jthwilliams:

Strazdas:

The long and short of it? It's a mod which incorporates Morrowind into Oblivion's engine. Official site, as far as I can tell, is here.

That is just cool. People really become obsessive about the TES universe. I was reading some of the stuff on www.uesp.net and it linked me to another site where people had taken the time to translate daelic materials from Oblivion and review all the books. I'm amazed at both how much detail bethesda has put into the universe and how really deep can get into it.

I can't wait for them to release a constructor set, I might try my hand and creating a dungeon or two with some story and scripting.

Just quickly, for those who say that Bethesda hasn't made a multiplayer aspect in TES, that is incorrect. They had multiplayer in Battlespire and from what I understand, it wasn't that good.

Grey Carter:
Snip

What about expansions and DLC?

It would be easier to put on DLC and not have to worry about disk space if the other places your going to is already on the disk.

I think Multiplayer would work in a the Arena setting in Oblivion, where players vs. each other only in a gladiatorial style place, you could even have a co-op where you survive waves of increasingly harder enemies.

Kopikatsu:

Dastardly:

Grey Carter:
There's More to Skyrim Than Skyrim

The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.

You just described one hell of a time sir.

ooh DLC...totally the right kind! lol

THIS

I think it explains itself. But that is what I think they have done!

Kyle 2175:
Wasn't Morrowind destroyed after the Oblivion Crisis?

Only Vvardenfell was, mainland Morrowind is physically intact, if rather ash-covered,

Alexander Cunningham:

Ap07h30515:

Well if they could do it 1994 I bet they could do it now!

Yeah, except it was completely randomly generated, and it wasn't actually possible to travel between towns on foot.

Blargh McBlargh:

Frostbite3789:
Yeah, getting the real DnD experience with some friends in TES, a game based in a setting kind of based on DnD would be HORRIBLE. I despise such an idea!

TES is NOT DnD, nor has it ever been.

Actually, Tamriel started out as a setting for some of the Bethesda developers' weekly DnD games.

Anyway, I'll throw my lot in with the "Dev team thinks of everything" people.

EverythingIncredible:
Cyrodiil and Morrowind expansions would be lovely.

No. No they wouldn't.

Why?

Because the universe would explode from awesomeness if that happened.

Frank_Sinatra_:

EverythingIncredible:
Cyrodiil and Morrowind expansions would be lovely.

No. No they wouldn't.

Why?

Because the universe would explode from awesomeness if that happened.

ha. Good one sir. But I think we can put up with the chance to get that much awsomeness.

Pretty sure article should say 'countries' not 'continents'. Akavir isn't hidden there anywhere, I had a look.

This just makes me hope that one day, SOME day, we'll get an Elder Scrolls game that contains the whole of Tamriel.
That would be bliss...

Jezzascmezza:
This just makes me hope that one day, SOME day, we'll get an Elder Scrolls game that contains the whole of Tamriel.
That would be bliss...

We had it in 1994. The Elder Scrolls: Arena, the first game in the series had the entire map to explore. Granted it was mostly randomly generated as needed, extremely low res, and so epic'ly huge that opting not to use fast travel between the cities would take frustrating days. But it was all there.

faefrost:

Jezzascmezza:
That would be bliss...

We had it in 1994. The Elder Scrolls: Arena, the first game in the series had the entire map to explore. Granted it was mostly randomly generated as needed, extremely low res, and so epic'ly huge that opting not to use fast travel between the cities would take frustrating days. But it was all there.

Actually, it was literally impossible to travel between towns on foot, the randomly generated wilderness just went on for ages before wrapping around and putting you in the other end of the cell.

Skyrim: Oblivion

LightOfDarkness:
Skyrim: Oblivion

Skyrim: Morrowind,
Skyrim: Hammerfall,
Skyrim: Arena,
Skyrim: Skyrim,
IT'S ALL GOOD!

Grey Carter:
It turns out entire continents from previous Elder Scrolls games are hidden beyond Skyrim's borders.

As far as I'm aware, there's actually only the one continent, containing provinces from previous Elder Scrolls games.

Ickorus:
I think there is a chance of Cyrodiil and Morrowind appearing in expansions since they put quite a bit of backstory into everything that has changed in those regions in the last 200 years (Eruption and Thalmor respectively).

That said, i'd love to see Black Marsh, my character's homeland.

This is really off topic, but I just spent about ten seconds panicking because I had thought that some crafty arthropod had managed to somehow find its way under my netbook screen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here