I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

Ubisoft is well aware that PC gamers are "bitching" about not getting a version of the upcoming I Am Alive, it just doesn't care.

In a way, given Ubisoft's recent track record with the PC market, this sort of dismissive talk isn't all that terribly surprising. Still, the sheer in-your-face ballsiness of this guy's attitude toward the PC version of I Am Alive and those who might want to play it is kind of shocking.

"We've heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them," Creative Director Stanislas Mettra told IncGamers. "But are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"

I guess we'll never know because Ubisoft has apparently decided not to make it. Mettra wasted no time going straight to the same tired old excuse to justify excluding the platform. "It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it," he continued. "Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it."

50 thousand unit sales is nothing to write home about, sure, but as Rock, Paper, Shotgun noted, we're talking about a digital release of a PC port of an Xbox 360 game. You release the thing on Steam for 20 bucks a pop, Valve takes its cut and 50,000 units later you're taking home 700 large - not a lot of money in today's industry but enough, I would think, to be "worth it." And if the game sells better, which despite Ubisoft's best efforts in the DRM field is always a risk, you could be looking at substantially more.

I suppose, in the spirit of the season, that we might be thankful for this in some ways. Instead of losing our minds with rage over yet another potentially good game brought low by Ubisoft's idiotic DRM, we can just ignore this one completely right from the get-go. It's not an ideal situation but under the circumstances, it's an upside I'm willing to take.

Oh dear.
Cunt alert, everyone! We have a cunt in the vicinity!

Heh, guess you don't want my money Ubisoft, I'll just put it right back in my pocket *slowly goes to put money in pocket* Oh... they are serious. Guess they just have an irational fear of wealth and success and good public relations. Douchebags.

Well, I might have bought it before, but now you don't have a chance even if there was a PC version. Nice job alienating a chunk of the market!

Wow, what a douche. I'm not even a PC gamer and that guy pisses me off. You couldn't have just politely said no? Instead, he says "I hear you whining, but you are all pirates or cheapskates anyway."

Got to love this PC/console flame war. It's much stronger than any other console war I've seen (considering how personal the insults are).

You know, there was a chance I was going to buy this, considering I was interested in it before this, but now Skyrim is looking so much better. And there's a patch coming to the console versions too, indicating a developer that doesn't write off one side of the "conflict" as just picking the "losing side."

I was going to buy this game. For the 360. Congratulations at your brilliant marketing, Mr. Creative Director. Now hire a new PR manager.

Well, that's the problem with the gaming industry right there, it's not about making a profit, it's wanting to make monster profits. A "mere" $700k isn't worth their time and that's why people like me are up in their face. I understand te logic but it's what's destroying gaming, especially seeing as it's just about ports of games, but even whether games are made. A few million dollars in profits is something that the industry is increasingly willing to turn it's nose up at because they realize they can make more money by churning out games for the casual crowd as opposed to ones for serious gamers or that advance the medium.

Well, Ubisoft are clearly a bunch of idiots, so it kind of follows that a guy like this would find stable employment under their wing.

If I were him, in charge of a second choice developer developing a downgraded version of a massively over budget title that will be delivered two years late at best... I wouldn't say anything about anything to anyone outside the company.

Inside the company all I would say is Dear God let this be a success we are all so fired if this is anything else than a megahit, don't make anyone angry! Then again, I'd never take a job at Ubisoft unless it came with a seven figure salary and a huge buyout clause...

I wasn't even awear of this game's existance untill now, and any care I might have had quickly goes away with that sort of additude. I mean I could buy it for the PS3 or something, but just for them to give a big finger is not a good sign.

BTW, it would be cool to see Rayman Origins on PC as well, just saying... I mean, if you are alergic to money Ubi, we understand. It's why you haven't made Beyond Good and Evil 2 yet.

Ubisoft games always get pirated to shit or torn a new one by the pc community because of DRM. Dont blame them for giving the PC a big middle finger.

hazabaza1:
Oh dear.
Cunt alert, everyone! We have a cunt in the vicinity!

"We've heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them," Creative Director Stanislas Mettra told IncGamers. "But are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"

Well I don't know if they did before, they definitely don't want to play it now!

Phlakes:
I was going to buy this game. For the 360. Congratulations at your brilliant marketing, Mr. Creative Director. Now hire a new PR manager.

PR only has one option, kill everyone who knows about this. PR can't fix stupid, they can only make it look nicer.

Not sure this can be twisted into a nice angle...

Oh well EA and Ubisoft seem to be trying to piss me off recently. Have they been digging through my box of things I hate again?

Oh well it beats when team ninja was digging through my underwear.

What a pathetic attempt to gain publicity for their crap game, Ubisoft are so awful that they even make EA look good.

Okay, has anyone ever noticed that Ubisoft was really bad in PC titles BEFORE they started with the whole DRM thing? All my Ubisoft PC titles come from the discount pile and most of them don't work.

Even worse: a couple of months ago I bought the ubisoft discount pack on steam. 4 games for 10$ or something. Call of juarez crashes after the intro movie, Assasin's creed forgot to draw the player half way through the game and nowhere was a solution to be found, and Far cry 2 was just 'ugh'. The only ubisoft PC games I've ever found working are the Tom Clancy series

The Rayman Raving Rabbids PC version did not work on most PC's for no apparent reason. A friend of mine bought it full price and could not get it to work. FYI, hes a computer scientist. A patch was never released.

The point I'm trying to make is: ubisoft is so bad in PC titles, they are actually doing us a favour with not making a PC version. Seriously, if it's ubisoft, go directly to console, do not pass start and seriously do not collect any pity about a missing PC version.

TBH I can actually see where producer is coming from. Anyone remember the Humble Indie bundle game pack of Trine, shadow grounds, and couple other well regarded games going for "however much" you want to pay for like anything above $4 for charity towards the earthquake victims in Japan early in the year. $4 you can have 4-5 very good fun games and help out a charity, but within 1 day all those games were leaked onto torrent sites and downloaded by thousands of cheapskates who wouldn't even spend $4 of DRM-free games.

Another game series I love, the witcher, which is also DRM-free and comes with support and free DLC is currently getting pirated to hell. I am primarily a PC gamer and I'm sick and tired of my favourite game developers getting screwed over by piracy.

So I totally understand why a company that does't want to lose money over developing for a platform due to piracy.

Riddle me this, Ubi: How many people, because of your attitude towards PC gamers, will now not buy Revelations either, even if we intended to? If you added the revenue from PC gamers buying any of your games because they actually respect you, then would it be "worth it?"

Unless this is more PC gamer bitching. We're such a whiny bunch, wanting to pay you to play games you make, as is the exchange when marketing video games. A whiny bunch indeed.

... Yeah, that pretty much explains ubisoft right there.

Anyone checked piracy figures recently? Notice that some of the most pirated games are actually 360 & PS3 titles?

Eh. It's not even worth discussing anymore at this point. You put in crippling DRM then blame the poor sales on piracy, and insult your potential customers...

Nope, clearly though, it's the piracy that's killing you. >_<

well played ubisoft, now, instead of giving you my money, if i want to play it i have to pirate it and run it with an emulator, success, i guess.
self-fulfilling prophecy and all that funny business.

Therumancer:
Well, that's the problem with the gaming industry right there, it's not about making a profit, it's wanting to make monster profits. A "mere" $700k isn't worth their time and that's why people like me are up in their face. I understand te logic but it's what's destroying gaming, especially seeing as it's just about ports of games, but even whether games are made. A few million dollars in profits is something that the industry is increasingly willing to turn it's nose up at because they realize they can make more money by churning out games for the casual crowd as opposed to ones for serious gamers or that advance the medium.

$700k might seem like a lot, but it all depends on how much the game cost to produce. If said game cost $25M and took two years then it's not really worth it the risk in making it when they could make more than that just by owning a bond or two and doing nothing.

Lol, piracy.

A lot less people would pirate games if publishers would knock off the tedious DRM.

I've been interested in this game since it was first announced, but without a PC version the chances that I'll actually get it drop significantly, since I'm primarily a PC gamer.

Well, I guess I really have no business buying Ubisoft games anyway, so I it's just for the best.

So Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

New Gif I made. Had to use it.

-|-:

Therumancer:

$700k might seem like a lot, but it all depends on how much the game cost to produce. If said game cost $25M and took two years then it's not really worth it the risk in making it when they could make more than that just by owning a bond or two and doing nothing.

But that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about their own figures for taking a dozen people over 3 months to do a port. They are saying that if they sold 50,000 copies it wouldn't be enough for them, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun did some computing on what that would generally come out to. So basically $700k isn't enough to justify a couple months work for a dozen of their guys. That's pretty ridiculous which is the point.

Their logic is probably more akin to them being able to have a dozen guys crank out some DLC or a piece of shovelware in the same time period and make more money, making a profit isn't enough, doing the best thing for gaming isn't enough, it's all about squeezing every penny they can.

But are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?

This was actually a somewhat good point. Shame he had to bury it with the tired old "Oh, and piracy. Also piracy." argument. I do think that PC Gamers tend to whine and bitch a lot, but Ubisoft's fucked up treatment of PC Gamers is one of the handful of points I think they have the right idea. Ubisoft deserves all the ire they get. Still, as the article stated, considering Ubisoft's bad record with PC ports, maybe it's for the best...

Never heard of the game, not interested in it, but this guy is still a huge wanker; it wouldn't surprise me if he's just convinced people who would have bought the game for console if there was no PC release to simply not bother.

If the callous and idiotic things this guy said has any effect on overall sales he's an even bigger prick, we all know the big publishers drop developers who's game doesn't perform ridiculously well and im sure there are plenty of decent people working under this tosser.

Sometimes I wonder exactly what stops certain publishers from bringing out their game on the PC platform.

Of course, the excuse is always low sales/piracy, but thats a load of tosh. First things first - since most sales on the PC happen on DD services like Steam, you only need to sell one copy to make the same profit you would have made from selling two physical copies on a console (of course, I Am Alive will be an Arcade title and therefore download only anyway, but im talking more in general). Then theres the fact, yes, FACT that 40% of hardcore titles sold (hardcore meaning they arent on Facebook or whatever) are sold for PC.

No matter how bad piracy is, thats still a big market you are missing out on. And since we can safely assume that publishers are well aware that an illegal download does not equal a lost sale or loose the company money, theres only a few things left...

Those few things being laziness and knowing your game is complete shit. Yes, im serious. I know you cant wait to label me a PC elitist for this, but the PC crowd, generally speaking, has higher standards than the xbox one. A shit game released for xbox will still sell well if the marketing is "good" enough, while thats rarely the case on PCs.

tl;dr: Ubisoft knows I Am Alive will turn out to be a complete pile of steaming shit unworthy of the title video game and are scared the PC crowd would dismiss both the game and Ubisofts stupid DRM as a result of that.

And yet some how Steam still works for Pc gamers...

Sell it on steam
Sell it on steam
Sell it on steam

No? Oh well...

To be perfectly honest? I don't care, just please Ubisoft, sell Blue Byte and Black Hole to some other publisher if You don't want to deal with PC gamers any more, okay? Then we can all be happy and You can get Your games pirated 2 weeks before release on Your beloved consoles... because that's the reality.

I would have bought this for 360, and hell, if it was good, I might of bought it again on PC just for any mods that could be lying around for it. But now, I just feel like not buying anything form Ubisoft. And yes, I do want to slap them on the wrist and have them say "Sowwy" in a small-child-did-something-wrong manner.

You catch more flies with honey and all that.

The game will get pirated, get over it. Release a drm free version priced at a point where bucks iz knocked off for it have no resale value, as you can't trade or sell digital games. People will buy it in spades.

I am still kicking myself for getting AC brotherhood, on pc with it's wonky ass too close camera for pc controls and generally, fuck me if this is its native design platform, feel too it.

Let alone all the hurdles to get into a game, I want to hit Launch, load recent not

sign into your account, bleh bleh bleh.

You know, this game looked like it would an overhyped piece of crap from the get go. Thanks for not letting me be fooled Ubisoft! Now start moaning about how the mean old pirates kicked over your sandcastle some more.

Huh, you know I was almost ready to back this guy since I to have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of the people 'bitching' are only doing it because there's no PC version instead of genuinely wanting to play game. But good lord this guy's a jerk ass screw you buddy.

Release it on Steam, with no retarded extra DRM, and that's it. Charge $20, maybe $30, for being so late, and...well...PROFIT!

Man, even as a console game who only owns a handful of PC games, this was a dick move on the guy's part. There are MUCH better ways to phrase a statement like that that not only don't anger a core demographic of the gaming market in general, but also don't piss off other gamers like me.

Then again, PC gamers, if this guy is gonna be this dickish about it, maybe you don't want this game anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here