I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Saucycardog:
To curb some of the flame in here,this is an article that Andy will not post:

http://kotaku.com/5862513/i-am-alive-creator-insists-hes-not-opposed-to-a-pc-port-and-didnt-mean-to-piss-off-pc-gamers

LOL, it's funny how his English suddenly got so much worse.

Actually, I'm kinda disappointed in The Escapist on this one.

You know it's a quote taken out of context. You're not reporting on the interview (which hasn't been published yet) but you're reporting on a snippet of the interview that the website performing the interview is using to get people interested in the full interview.

Now, that's fine. Report.

But when more of the report is the reporters opinion than the actual report itself, you no longer have a report. You have an opinion piece based on a teaser for an interview that hasn't been published yet.

That's not good journalism. It's publishing an editorial based on incomplete information, and that's pretty bad. That's Fox News country. It's propagandism, and that's the sort of thing I really hope The Escapist would be above.

I expect better of you.

Jedihunter4:

Hogbinladen:

Jedihunter4:
An if they did just port it over trying to keep costs down they will get about 10,000 or so messages like this on forums etc

" they just ported it over and added nothing"
"it does not take advantage of the better graphic"
"its too glitchy cause its designed for console an is buggy"
"it does not work with my graphics card"
"there's not enough pc support"
"im not getting the dlc the consoles are able to get, at the same time they are"
"FFS angry the game's design was not aimed at PC"

Uh huh.

People will bitch about almost anything. That includes PC gamers and that includes bad console ports. It literally has no bearing on a game's success just because people are complaining about it, even if it's unjustified.

Yer but my point was if the profit margins are stick thin, why are they going to bother when all they are going to get is a bad rap from a very very vocal an negative group of consumers. If they thought on the other hand they we going to get a good consumer reputation or at least some appreciation for their work they might be a little more inclined to make the effort, even if there is not allot of profit in it considering the time taken to do the work.

I seriously doubt they care one bit about their reputation on PC. Otherwise, this statement might have been more respectful.

All I feel the need to point out is that people bitching about the final product is no reason to not make it at all. Someone will end up complaining about something no matter good or bad it is. If people are going to complain either way, you're better off looking for other reasons to not make a game.

Yes, I would have bought it. There were 2 games I was looking forward to this year, "Saints Row the Third" and "I Am Alive". In fact I was so looking forward to it that now that it's not coming out on the PC, I'll be adding it to my list of games I want to buy when I get a console, but at the moment I still can't play it.
And I'm not mad or anything. If they don't want to sell it to me, then that's fine. But if I am mad about anything it's that Ubisoft didn't take the time or effort to hire a PR guy to spin this to the public, rather than giving the mike to one of the devs. And if they already have one, I would have liked one on the ball enough to stop someone from their company saying something like this.
After all, they don't exactly have an image they can afford to worsen. It's just bad business, is all. And since they're such a prominent studio that's a real shame too. Please, Ubisoft, hire a PR guy!

and yet again the first world demands something they have no right to to begin with and then starts bitching about it
that's a-class 4 year old behavior with in this case the companies being the "stupid stupid adults" who won't give the kid what it want
if it's a bad business decision(which is absolutely not clear at this point) it's at least good parenting^^

Andy Chalk:
"It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it," he continued. "Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it."

So according to this guy there are 50.000 PC gamers, each of which has on average, 80 minecraft accounts, 100 WoT accounts, 1200 Runescape accounts(50 of which are running premium) and 200 WoW subscriptions. And they all have 3 instances of Skyrim running on their PC right now.

How the fuck could they be possibly not receive any return of investment when selling to these guys?

Oh, right, because their PC games also include magical maps that lead to their island hideout, which enables pirates to pull up some threedeckers next to it and giving them a couple of broadsides before disembarking and raiding their treasury.

Sounds legit.

Asehujiko:

Andy Chalk:
"It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it," he continued. "Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it."

So according to this guy there are 50.000 PC gamers, each of which has on average, 80 minecraft accounts, 100 WoT accounts, 1200 Runescape accounts(50 of which are running premium) and 200 WoW subscriptions. And they all have 3 instances of Skyrim running on their PC right now.

How the fuck could they be possibly not receive any return of investment when selling to these guys?

Oh, right, because their PC games also include magical maps that lead to their island hideout, which enables pirates to pull up some threedeckers next to it and giving them a couple of broadsides before disembarking and raiding their treasury.

Sounds legit.

Bad strawman is bad. Next time you rebut an argument, don't invent things and claim that's what they said. You come off as crazy.

He's using a subjunctive example to try to make a point; if only 50,000 people buy it, it's not worth making. He's not claiming that there are 50,000 PC users, or that the game would only be projected to make 50,000 sales; he's just making an example.

This is why we shouldn't make editorials on quotes made out of context. It makes people go crazy on forums.

So in other words, Ubisoft won't make a PC version of this game "because they said so". That's kind of lame.

Stay classy Ubisoft.

Yeah, quite the "Master Race."

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I'll also agree with you, Andy; it isn't worth getting outraged over. Ubisoft doesn't get any of the money this could have entitled them to, and if they're going to dumb the situation down to solely profits and instant gratification, them not getting it is enough, really.

"Would they buy it if we made it?"

Is he retarded?

I guess they'll never find out if we'd buy it...

I'm actually on Ubisoft's side for once, just because of the way they said the PC crowd is "bitching". It's that kinda blunt word-play in public statements to turn my decision.

So pick your tissues off the ground, and get a 360, you crybabies.

Or, you could read what he actually said:

IG: Why is there no PC version?

SM: The decision isn't official. But making a PC version has a cost associated with it and PC games are all selling so poorly nowadays. We have to make sure that the game will sell on PC before we decide to make it.

We've heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them, but are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?

It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it.

First, he's said, straight out, that the decision hasn't been made yet. However, he's also stating there are reasons they might not do it. And his question is valid: Are PC gamers asking because they want to buy it, or just because there's no version? That's an honest question, and one that's been ignored by the thread.

See, you've confused an explanation for an answer for the actual answer. He's not saying that piracy is the reason why they're not making it, or even that they aren't making it. He's saying that they haven't decided yet, and there's reasons why they haven't decided to. That's all.

This is why we read the original article in its entirety before making assumptions.

ph0b0s123:

Twilight_guy:
I wish every company had the attitude of "don't like DRM? fine, we won't publish on PC"
The total death of PC gaming would be the most hilarious day ever where publishers just get fed up with pirates and boycott the PC. Oh it would be glorious.

I would laugh even more when console owners get sh1t next gen consoles as they will no longer have a PC hardware market to nick their hardware from....

Haha! Your comment made my day. =D

ph0b0s123:

Twilight_guy:
I wish every company had the attitude of "don't like DRM? fine, we won't publish on PC"
The total death of PC gaming would be the most hilarious day ever where publishers just get fed up with pirates and boycott the PC. Oh it would be glorious.

I would laugh even more when console owners get sh1t next gen consoles as they will no longer have a PC hardware market to nick their hardware from....

Of course, because gaming hardware is only made for PCs. No one has ever made a video card for a console.

sravankb:

ph0b0s123:

Twilight_guy:

Of course, because gaming hardware is only made for PCs. No one has ever made a video card for a console.

It is true that in the dim and distant past consoles may have had their own ground up graphics silicon, but name me one current console not running a PC GPU. Even the only next gen console to be announced is running a chip from the PC market.

You really think the pace of graphics card capabilities will not be seriously hurt if console makers try to go it alone with their own gpu designs. Even Intel could not get a gaming gpu out that competed well with ATI and Nvidia offerings, and all they do is silcon. Console makers would stand no chance.

sravankb:

ph0b0s123:

Twilight_guy:

Nowadays more than ever the PC's are making the advances (The current gen consoles are basically modded PC's!) and the consoles are taking advantage of these advances made by the PC. The Xbox 360 is basically a rebranded mid-low spec PC running a specialized OS designed for use on the console (Aside from the 3-core PowerPC 3.2 GHz processor and the ATI Xenos 500 MHz GPU which wikipedia claims to have about 10 MiB (1 MiB = 1024 kibibytes = 1,048,576 bytes) of embedded DRAM)

That's annoying. I just want to play these titles and I won't buy a special system just to do that. If everything would be exclusive to one console then I'd have to triple my games& miscellaneous expenses.

Boo hoo hoo I don't make enough money from sales on PC!

Bitching indeed. Shove it up your ass, 'Stan'.

Probably the biggest cunt I've ever read about; what a little bitch.

Ahh. I love it when those PC-exclusive gaming elite-bags get put in their place. Like an extra helping of christmas.

Why do PC gamers have such an entitlement complex? Exclusive titles are the whole point different consoles.

Muphin_Mann:
Ahh. I love it when those PC-exclusive gaming elite-bags get put in their place. Like an extra helping of christmas.

Ahaha, do you honestly think you're any better after posting a comment like this?

Balobo:

Muphin_Mann:

Ahaha, do you honestly think you're any better after posting a comment like this?

I have yet to see (in all the time I've been an online forums) any time where a console gamer provokes a PC gamer. It's always the other way around.

Basically, as a PC gamer, if you find out that something is available on a console, isn't available on steam, has anything to do with Bobby Kotick, or doesn't have mod tools/dedicated servers, you need to complain about it. That's just my experience and that's why I do my best to avoid PC gamer threads, they all just tend to be so hostile.

(Apologies to you PC gamers who aren't like this)

He does kind of have a point in that gamers to like to complain about things they don't actually care about.

Out of the hordes people whining about Ubisoft not releasing Beyond Good & Evil 2 sooner, how many actually bought/owned the original?

Though treating it like a PC-specific crime may have been uncalled for.

LiquidSolstice:

Balobo:

Muphin_Mann:

I have yet to see (in all the time I've been an online forums) any time where a console gamer provokes a PC gamer. It's always the other way around.

Basically, as a PC gamer, if you find out that something is available on a console, isn't available on steam, has anything to do with Bobby Kotick, or doesn't have mod tools/dedicated servers, you need to complain about it. That's just my experience and that's why I do my best to avoid PC gamer threads, they all just tend to be so hostile.

Don't know what internet YOU'RE using.

Balobo:

LiquidSolstice:

Balobo:

...er, likewise?

LiquidSolstice:

Balobo:

LiquidSolstice:

...er, likewise?

In your internet, every PC gamer is an asshole. Not in mine.

Balobo:

LiquidSolstice:

Balobo:

...er, likewise?

Whatever makes you feel comfortable then...

I'm basing my experiences on just that, my experiences. It's not hard to throw a stone and see some PC gamer complaining about something or another or putting down a console gamer.

LiquidSolstice:

Balobo:

LiquidSolstice:

...er, likewise?

I'm basing my experiences on just that, my experiences. It's not hard to throw a stone and see some PC gamer complaining about something or another or putting down a console gamer.

I see console exclusive gamers bitching and moaning, putting down owners of other consoles, etc. all the time

I've rarely seen PC gamers post comments which openly put down consoles/console gamers. What I do see often is PC gamers posting facts about the capabilities of their platform (admittedly it is often in a boastful arrogant manner) followed by console gamers taking offense.

Quite frankly I see PC gamers put in a negative light far more frequently. Sterotypes like we are nerdy, inactive and unsociable are pretty typical. My favorite is that my apparantly rich parents must have bought me my hardware. I find it hilarious how playing a game on a 360 or ps3 has become fairly socially acceptable while playing the same game on a PC somehow crosses into "geeky loser" territory.

Here we see the "typical" PC gamer in his natural envirnoment:
http://ogeeku.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/southpark-wow-2.jpg

Maybe I am way out line on this, this is just the sort of attitude I've come across, idk.

Balobo:

LiquidSolstice:

Balobo:

I see console exclusive gamers bitching and moaning, putting down owners of other consoles, etc. all the time

Oh? Do console owners ever openly bitch about PC gamers?

Higgs303:

I've rarely seen PC gamers post comments which openly put down consoles/console gamers. What I do see often is PC gamers posting facts about the capabilities of their platform (admittedly it is often in a boastful arrogant manner) followed by console gamers taking offense.

Quite frankly I see PC gamers put in a negative light far more frequently. Sterotypes like we are nerdy, inactive and unsociable are pretty typical. My favorite is that my apparantly rich parents must have bought me my hardware. I find it hilarious how playing a game on a 360 or ps3 has become fairly socially acceptable while playing the same game on a PC somehow crosses into "geeky loser" territory.

Here we see the "typical" PC gamer in his natural envirnoment:
http://ogeeku.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/southpark-wow-2.jpg

Maybe I am way out line on this, this is just the sort of attitude I've come across, idk.

No, it's not about PC gamers being "nerdy", it's about PC gamers blaming many things on console gamers and even openly insulting them.

LiquidSolstice:

Oh? Do console owners ever openly bitch about PC gamers?

All the time. Do you even read any of the threads here? :P

Also, for a PC gamer, you seem pretty happy to put PC gamers down.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here