Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Ubisoft is making the free-to-play Ghost Recon Online instead of a PC version of Future Solider because 95 percent of you are just going to pirate the game anyway.

Here's what I think is happening. I think that Ubisoft doesn't have the stones to break up with you, so instead it's acting like a jerk to try to make you break up with it. How else could you possibly explain its behavior over the past couple of days? Yesterday the creative director on I Am Alive dismissed "bitching" about the apparently-not-gonna-happen PC edition of the game as just noise and said the platform isn't worth developing for, and today it's Ghost Recon producer Sebastien Arnoult effectively stating that if you're a PC gamer, then you're a pirate.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is slated for a March 2012 release for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but the PC is getting the free-to-play Ghost Recon Online instead. "We are giving away most of the content for free because there's no barrier to entry," Arnoult told PCGamer. "To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, 'Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you're asking for. We've listened to you - we're giving you this experience. It's easy to download, there's no DRM that will pollute your experience.'"

"We're adapting the offer to the PC market. I don't like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60's worth of super-Hollywood content," he continued. "When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95 percent of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind."

I'm not sure what to say about this. Ubisoft apparently believes that 95 percent of its PC audience - which is perilously close to all of it - gets their games via illegal downloads. The number-one digital distributor is not Steam after all, but The Pirate Bay. And because of that, "deep development" is out and churning out giveaway crap is in.

And "we've listened to you?" I suspect not, actually, but at least now we know where we stand. Thanks for that, guys.

The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...

It seems a lot of bull and crap is coming from Ubisoft, and they decided to blame pirates....

Cuz you know There's no one in the world who buys games for Pc, all all download the games illegally....

Why don't they adopt a system like on Steam... need to play the game with a internet connection so i can play either single or multiplayer...

Like half life games and such... why the "Pirates are going to ruin for everyone" excuse?

Ubisoft must have one hell of a PR team for all of this mess. I usually get most third person shooters for the 360 though, but at this rate I'm just ready to say fuck it to all Ubisoft products. They seem to be bitching as much as us PC gamers supposedly are.

Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

Wow. I made this exact same post yesterday... Ubisoft are becoming predictable.

Umm... Ubisoft listen.. This isn't working out anymore... I've met another game develo.. I MEAN WOMEN!

So.. yeah..

Friends?

mParadox:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...

Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...

These are the guys that were doing the "Post-it" wars, isn't it?

The guys who promised "From Dust" without DRM, then DRM'ed it up the wazoo anyway.

The guys who refused to give EGM their games to review because they weren't getting enough positive ones?

Seriously. cherchez la guillotine.

What a bunch of jerks.

Are we seriously the ones "bitching" about PC gaming?

I KNEW those damn Frenchies are douches!

Ok, kidding, but this still sucks.

And the hits just keep coming. Got to love that Gallic charm.

Andy Chalk:

Here's what I think is happening. I think that Ubisoft doesn't have the stones to break up with you, so instead it's acting like a jerk to try to make you break up with it. How else could you possibly explain its behavior over the past couple of days?

Like the editorial. Obviously someone at Ubisoft is a fan of 'How to loose a guy in 10 days'.

So I was going to pick up this game for the 360, like I have with GR 1 and 2, now though I am going to say fuck you and borrow it off a friend if I want to play it. Same deal with Assassins Creed I guess. I would love to know where they get these figures from, or barring that where they find these business school drop-outs who shit the same figures out of their mouths. Good job guys, and while your games may be good, there are plenty of other, better games out there I can and will spend my money on, both on console and PC.

And here I bought Beyond Good & Evil on Steam today.

I guess this is Ubisoft telling me to stop buying their games. Okay, sure.

I'm not really surprised. Most of the people I know torrent and I am sure that a huge amount of people torrent PC games. They sure do lose a ton of money to pirates. A lot. So, yeah. I guess that is what happens.

Ahhh, I see where they are coming from now.

Ubisoft is throwing a tantrum because they were probably feeling the impact of people boycotting their games due to the DRM (always online DRM specifically). Thus they are hoping that by depriving PC gamers of their games entirely they will garner some tolerance for the practice.

Really, it's a good riddence overall, especially with this 95% BS, if things went that high it's probably in direct response to their own DRM. Even so I notice Ubisoft isn't trying to claim it's actually lost money on the PC, which would have been a valid excuse if it could be proven under scrutiny, which means they would have used it in pulling out. It's a pressure tactic pure and simple so I'd pretty much just wave bye bye, skip a couple of games and Ubisoft will come crawling back in a year or so when it wants money, preferably without the DRM garbage that all of this is over.

By "lost money" I mean wound up making no profits at all, and pulling in less money than a game cost to make, not having possibly lost some sales to pirates who might have bought the game if they couldn't pirate , Just to clarify.

Oh, just become a console dev now, Ubisoft. It's honestly getting annoying. Finish all your PC games, and don't make new ones.

but now, I'm just like fuck Ubisoft

ph0b0s123:
And the hits just keep coming. Why do I feel like a battered spouse?

It's time to file for divorce. And by divorce, I mean stop buying Ubisoft games.

Which I already did prior to this anyway, because I don't think Ezio looks good in the fishnet stockings and clear heels.

Ubisoft... are you TRYING to piss off PC gamers?
I mean, this, the always on DRM, refusing to port I Am Alive, I think they just don't want anything to do with the PC platform anymore, earth to Ubisoft, piracy exists on the consoles too, your not avoiding it by ignoring a whole platform your just pissing people off.

To be honest guys, its not like this hasn't come out of nowhere. Almost every game is pirated constantly. Hell, with some older games, the only people who actually now get it is by pirating it. This isn't Ubisoft being just dicks. I mean sure, they overreacted, but they do have a legitamate reason. Take this as a lesson. PC people (and I am included in this), BUY GAMES, DONT PIRATE. You are ruining the market more than Call of Duty or Madden ever will.

Okay, so Ubisoft killed what little respect or care I've had for them and made me hate them.
One man boycott on all their products, lessgo!

What a sad bunch of fuckers. Instead of trying to understand why piracy happens (hint: overpriced games that are full of bugs and DRM such that the cracked version works better than the legal version (*cough* Skyrim *cough*) and games that are shitty ports or just crap overall) they piss all over the PC market.

I won't be buying anything from Ubisoft for sure.

UbiSoft is just trying to monetize piracy. PC gamers will complain about anything.

sinterklaas:
What a sad bunch of fuckers. Instead of trying to understand why piracy happens (hint: overpriced games that are full of bugs and DRM such that the cracked version works better than the legal version (*cough* Skyrim *cough*) and games that are shitty ports or just crap overall) they piss all over the PC market.

Piracy existed before these things you mention. There's been software piracy before there was ever DRM.

Piracy exists because it gets people free software. These other benefits you mention aren't the driving force behind it; crackers have been doing it for decades before the current gaming environment.

Well I have to say not releasing games for the pc is definitely one way to prevent piracy on the pc from being a factor.

TitanAtlas:
Why don't they adopt a system like on Steam... need to play the game with a internet connection so i can play either single or multiplayer...

Like half life games and such... why the "Pirates are going to ruin for everyone" excuse?

You actually think that something like steam would prevent pirates? Ohhh now THAT is funny.

So, Ubisoft doesn't want me to buy their games anymore? Fine with me. You made it pretty easy. Just think about this for a second. As this generation of consoles is at the end, which platform do you think will be the first to rise to the throne? Think about who you're alienating Ubisoft.

Here's a thing:

What other point of salesmanship would you be allowed to say "Most of (this group of our customers) are crooks."

Could Ford say "We're not going to make cars for Italy anymore because 95% of them are crooks."?

What right have Ubisoft to call PC gamers "mostly pirates"? Regardless of any statistics, that's outright slander. (libellous if it's been written down)

This isn't over, Ubisoft. Not by a LONG way.

Ubi please punch yourself in the face and make this game for PC again, you may bring it out a month later or so, as long as you make the waiting worth it.

More like 95% of PC gamers aren't going to play EITHER of these games now.

I don't like what he's saying, but I know where he's coming from. I've noticed that most people who frequent 'respectable' game sites don't admit to/do regular piracy (anymore), but I've noticed in my surrounding that it's only increasing with 'new' gamers (both casual players and younger people).

I don't think it's as high as 95%, but I'd believe it if someone told me it is more than 75% for some games. Especially for games with a strong focus on single-player, which includes most Ubisoft games.

Well, if Ubisoft made or published good games maybe people wouldn't pirate them. The only games they've published on the PC that I've halfway liked are FarCry 2, Brothers in Arms, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and Brothers in Arms was made by Gearbox anyway. I'm just saying if you have almost 90 titles, and only four or five are decent, maybe it's your company that's doing something wrong. They seem to be the only common denominator here. People will pay for quality, that's why PC gaming isn't dead. If people are unsure whether they're getting a decent game or a wet turd in a blanket with DRM that requires you to hold the turd in a bear trap, and if your internet connection gets lost for a second the bear trap snaps shut. My opinion though.

-_-

Huh...

Don't they understand that their is piracy on the consoles to? I mean it isn't as easy to do, and their is less of it, but still, it exists.

Well Ghost Recon may have started life on PC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Ghost_Recon_(video_game)

But Ubisoft kinda fucked that brand deep into the ground for all gamers, and PC gamers especially:

Pointless blue glowing glasses. 76% metacritic. And their upcoming game is advertising Kinect as its gimmick unique selling point...

Really, why the hell would I be excited about a war game made by the French? Especially after it has diverged so much from what Ghost Recon became so popular as. Maybe Ghost Recon sold so poorly more recently on PC because it has been crap PC gamers don't care about.

Ubisoft are fucking right. Why, just this morning I heard that Bethesda will never develop for the PC again, as Skyrim utterly failed on the platform - meanwhile, Valve are abandoning the sinking ship that is Steam, because, hey, what use is a PC games store when we're all fucking thieves?!

Satsuki666:
Well I have to say not releasing games for the pc is definitely one way to prevent piracy on the pc from being a factor.

TitanAtlas:

You actually think that something like steam would prevent pirates? Ohhh now THAT is funny.

Not saying it stops, but it prevents a little... Me for example... i never bought a game but when i started playing Half Life 2 i reach a point i wanted to try the online mods, so i bought it (with Orange Box at the time).

It reduces the amount of pirates even if it is by little.

But thanks for thinking i'm funny, i'm not a comedian but it's good to be appreciated :D

95%, wonder how many of those actually bought the game but hated the DRM? my guess is at least 60%... Wonder if this means the new rainbow six won't be out on the pc, shame i liked both of the series.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here