Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Come to think of it, this all makes sense now! Their DRM was a success! Since we're all pirates and it locked us out of the game anyways. Mission accomplished!

Or they could just release the game the normal way, DRM free and see if that works. Guess what Ubisoft, if you didn't shove so much crap down our throats people might be able to not only play your game, but lose the frustration of trying to get it to start up in the first place. DRM is like a mall cop who goes out of the way to piss of real customers, then ignores actual thieves.

Now, I don't like to make sweeping generalizations. Saying, "All pirates would be legitimate customers if Ubisoft didn't use shitbox DRM" is as broad of a generalization as "All PC gamers are pirates". But I can say this, knowing for absolute surety that it is 100% factual:

But I can say that the only reason that I haven't played any Ubisoft titles, on PC or otherwise, since 2008 was because of their Assassin's Creed DRM. Which is regrettable, because Might & Magic Heroes 6 looks to be fun.

Dear Ubisoft,
I'd love to say it's been fun, but I must not lie. Though you may do so, and call me vile filth, I've been fair to you. Once I considered you a good company, but little of what you do now is indeed good. You don't want my money anymore? I've not wanted your games for quite some time. So feel free to tell your friends you're the one who broke it off with me, but we'll always know the truth. You always wanted to watch me, even when I was alone. It stopped being about me long ago, and even though you always pretended otherwise, calling me a cheater so much has made it clear YOU were cheating on me. I'm sorry if this breaks the illusion, however, it needs to be said: You need help, you are self destructive, your work has been sub-par, and breaks if you're not there to keep it going. I did care once, but you've mistreated me so. Call me if you ever sober up, maybe we can still be friends.

Sincerely,
Link Kadeshi

Slayer_2:
Or they could just release the game the normal way, DRM free and see if that works. Guess what Ubisoft, if you didn't shove so much crap down our throats people might be able to not only play your game, but lose the frustration of trying to get it to start up in the first place. DRM is like a mall cop who goes out of the way to piss of real customers, then ignores actual thieves.

Is that why World of Goo had a 90% piracy rate despite no DRM?

The reality that consistently comes foward is, if you have no DRM, people will pirate the shit out of your stuff. The claim that DRM somehow means more piracy rings hollow when there's a pretty consistent piracy rate of over 3 quarters for things without DRM

Amnestic:

teebeeohh:
yeah and when the sales of revelations on PC are gonna suck they will blame pirates, not themselves because they antagonized PC gamers in the weeks leading up to it.

Not to mention that they seem to have deliberately staggered AC:R's PC release compared to the console version. Just over two weeks of difference according to wikipedia. Even if they sold well, the PC version is naturally going to have hindered sales simply because people who really want to get the game will buy it when it comes out earliest, which is on consoles.

And that, my friends, is how you slowly move away from a platform. Make it look like it is the consumers' fault.

The Rascal King:
Man, it must be hard to be PC elitist when 3 games come out for it every year.

Nah. I'd rather have 3 good games that last me way over year than 100 crappy ones that I can't even be bothered to finish half-way through. It's even easier with MMOs, one game - few years of game play. Oh, and all those freeware games and indie games...
Yeah. How will I ever live without all those repetitive third person perspective action-adventure games and aim-assist shooters. Woe is me. *roll eyes*

Versuvius:

What, being insulted and being called a load of thieves because they make shit? They make shit and call us thieves because they don't sell? We aren't entitled to be a bit angry that they are spouting wank to cover their arse? I'm not angry about their shitty games, i don't care. What gets me is people like you who bend over for corportions to defend their stupid practices and insulting prospective buyers (Who also own fucking consoles, they people they claim is the real market) who won't buy their console tripe either. Christ some of you people must think with your arseholes. Lets insult these PC gamers and sell to console gamers! ...what do you mean PC gamers also own consoles? UNPOSSIBLE! THEY ARE ALL THIEVES! Hey Ubisoft, you won't be aquainted with my PS3 or my money any time soon.

Rant over, lulzing at silly people.

I think a corporation, like an individual, has the right to do what it wants with it's money, it can invest in whatever products or services it wants etc, the only provisos being that it is financially accountable for it's actions and said actions are within the law. Feel free to equate this with being some kind of apologist for corporations if you like - it doesn't bother me.

The way I see it is ubisoft think PC development isn't profitable - then that is their decision, if they think their games are pirated too much then stating that position isn't calling you personally a thief - you don't have to take offence at everything and throw a tantrum like a spoiled brat. If you and the others here are right then the market will punish them and you will see reduced profits and market share at ubisoft - that will hurt them and they will be forced to change their ways.

TitanAtlas:
It seems a lot of bull and crap is coming from

Why don't they adopt a system like on Steam... need to play the game with a internet connection so i can play either single or multiplayer...

Like half life games and such... why the "Pirates are going to ruin for everyone" excuse?

Yeah they can be the origin of this new system of need to play the game with a internet connection. Thats an original idea. If only something with that type of origin exsisted.....

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

Is that why World of Good had a 90% piracy rate despite no DRM?

No idea what that game is, but here is a fact for you. People are gonna pirate. It doesn't matter how tight your security, one day, someone will crack it. Then distribute it. Once it's out there, it's out there. Doesn't matter if it's one person in the world that hacks it, or a million, all it takes is one upload. I don't know exact rates, but I'm sure piracy figures are higher than sales figures for most games. Show me the game that has never been pirated, and I'll retract my statements about DRM.

-|-:

Versuvius:

What, being insulted and being called a load of thieves because they make shit? They make shit and call us thieves because they don't sell? We aren't entitled to be a bit angry that they are spouting wank to cover their arse? I'm not angry about their shitty games, i don't care. What gets me is people like you who bend over for corportions to defend their stupid practices and insulting prospective buyers (Who also own fucking consoles, they people they claim is the real market) who won't buy their console tripe either. Christ some of you people must think with your arseholes. Lets insult these PC gamers and sell to console gamers! ...what do you mean PC gamers also own consoles? UNPOSSIBLE! THEY ARE ALL THIEVES! Hey Ubisoft, you won't be aquainted with my PS3 or my money any time soon.

I think a corporation, like an individual, has the right to do what it wants with it's money, it can invest in whatever products or services it wants etc, the only provisos being that it is financially accountable for it's actions and said actions are within the law. Feel free to equate this with being some kind of apologist for corporations if you like - it doesn't bother me.

The way I see it is ubisoft think PC development isn't profitable - then that is their decision, if they think their games are pirated too much then stating that position isn't calling you personally a thief - you don't have to take offence at everything and throw a tantrum like a spoiled brat. If you and the others here are right then the market will punish them and you will see reduced profits and market share at ubisoft - that will hurt them and they will be forced to change their ways.

They just called 19 out of 20 PC gamers dirty thieves. Are you seriously going to try to defend that? I don't even play on the PC and that is an outright lie and a real low blow.

clankwise:

TitanAtlas:
It seems a lot of bull and crap is coming from

Why don't they adopt a system like on Steam... need to play the game with a internet connection so i can play either single or multiplayer...

Like half life games and such... why the "Pirates are going to ruin for everyone" excuse?

Yeah they can be the origin of this new system of need to play the game with a internet connection. Thats an original idea. If only something with that type of origin exsisted.....

Well hundreds of people use steam and don't give a dam... WHat i saied it's an idea, not a kickstarter for sarcasm and hate...

Keava:
SNIP (since Im too lazy to quote completely)

I do agree that those statistics are commonly misinterpreted. However one of my points is that its not just financial, its also moral. Some developers don't like pirating because its taking something they worked hard and long for and treating it like free shovel-ware. Many of them, (as the Indie community proves), are less focused on money and more on legibility and worth. Anything bough for a higher price is usually counted with greater revere then something received for free. The point is this: pirating, no matter what, should not be done. The best of intentions pave the road to hell (just a saying, im not getting religious on this), even though people pirate with the intentions to buy later, its still the pirating thats the problem. I understand if you did it for good reasons, however it doesn't make it right in either the developers eyes, or mine.

Love how the continuously say that PC gamers only pirate games, yet they still support PC games. Sounds to me that they realize that there's enough money to be made on PC and are afraid to drop it entirely.

Slayer_2:

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

No idea what that game is, but here is a fact for you. People are gonna pirate. It doesn't matter how tight your security, one day, someone will crack it. Then distribute it. Once it's out there, it's out there. Doesn't matter if it's one person in the world that hacks it, or a million, all it takes is one upload. I don't know exact rates, but I'm sure piracy figures are higher than sales figures for most games. Show me the game that has never been pirated, and I'll retract my statements about DRM.

So unless DRM manages to stop alp piracy completely, you say its a failure. The fuck? A reduction in the rate of piracy is a success for DRM, not the total stopping of all piracy.

Slayer_2:
here is a fact for you. People are gonna pirate. It doesn't matter how tight your security, one day, someone will crack it. Then distribute it. Once it's out there, it's out there. Doesn't matter if it's one person in the world that hacks it, or a million, all it takes is one upload. I don't know exact rates, but I'm sure piracy figures are higher than sales figures for most games. Show me the game that has never been pirated, and I'll retract my statements about DRM.

Give this guy a medal, because apparently nobody else is smart enough to realize this. Companies need to stop wasting so much money on trying to make everything air tight secure, because it doesn't matter.

It's part of the reason why I laugh at people when they think that Xbox live is secure because it's paid for.

OutrageousEmu:
The fuck? A reduction in the rate of piracy is a success for DRM, not the total stopping of all piracy.

Except if every game has been cracked, then there has been no reduction in the rate of piracy, and indeed the inclusion of obnoxious DRM has - or so people claim - caused them to pirate the game out of sheer spite at the developer/publisher for trying to punish their legitimate customers.

I know what developer to only buy used copies of there games if I have any interest now. Used games are compared to piracy right? So maybe if we buy Ubisoft games used they will stop making for consoles too and go for handhelds or smartphones! I'll tell any friends I know of thinking to get any of there games that they should get them used or not all. Sure it won't make them not get game most likely but when they go to try a new game that has ubisoft on it they might change mind and buy something else.

FUCK! Ubisoft, why Ghost Recon? Cant you cancel some other game? Why this one? God damn, I was looking forward to this game!

FUCK YOU GUYS, IM GOING HOME. And by im going home I mean im never buying anything that makes Ubisoft any amount of money no matter how small ever again. Go choke on a dick, assholes. Who wants to bet they will come crawling back when they realize future Assassins Creed titles arent going to sell for shit because they started churning them out every year?

Oh yeah, and riddle me this you cunts; why the fuck do you keep canceling PC games? Yeah, pirates and all, but this is what I mean: first, you announce a game. Then, you confirm it for xbox, PS3 and PC. And then, a few months later, you call off the PC version or delay it by a century! What the fuck? Cant you just say that there wont be a PC version right off the bat instead of getting our hopes up?

Man, I hope everyone at Ubisoft gets kicked in the balls. Someone hack their website or something. Jerks.

-|-:

Versuvius:

How the fuck do you think we should react then? Go on then, tell us. And underline your superiority by misspelling "offense" again.

People were looking forward to this game. Now its not coming out, a lot of us cant play it and we are disappointed. The real problem here though is that Ubisoft just called 19/20 PC gamers thieves.

What the fuck? I have supported Ubisoft by buying their games, on PC I might add, for a long time now, as have many others. I have made them a lot of money. And then, they turn around and spit in my face.

Do you seriously think this behavior is acceptable, or that you need to defend it?

Fuck it, Ubisoft can kiss my ass, im just gonna go chill with my bros Valve, CDProjekt, and a few other homies. All of them rich by the way, all of them making a lot of money using the PC platform and none of them particularly bothered by piracy.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

They just called 19 out of 20 PC gamers dirty thieves. Are you seriously going to try to defend that? I don't even play on the PC and that is an outright lie and a real low blow.

I don't know the actual number so how can I comment on it? I certainly can't refute or confirm their claim; I assume they have done some analysis and that is what they think. Are they wrong? Probably, but I don't know for certain and I don't actually care one way or the other anyway.

Here is the thing you, and others too, are missing. I don't need to refute their numbers - I don't need to defend them or attack them. They have stated a position and are backing that position with a lot of money - they will either win or lose that bet. If they win, then it will turn out that they were at least partly right, if they lose then they lose something real and tangible to them - cash.

Amnestic:

OutrageousEmu:
The fuck? A reduction in the rate of piracy is a success for DRM, not the total stopping of all piracy.

Except if every game has been cracked, then there has been no reduction in the rate of piracy, and indeed the inclusion of obnoxious DRM has - or so people claim - caused them to pirate the game out of sheer spite at the developer/publisher for trying to punish their legitimate customers.

Okay, but thats just a defeatist attitutde. "People are never gonna stop trying to steal our games, so don't even try to stop them". What if other people took that attitude? "Criminals are never gonna stop trying to find ways to kill people, so why even bother trying to protect myself?" "Diseases are never gonna stop trying to make me sick, so why bother keeping healthy?". The actual solution there? Stop supporting the PC. And here they are implementing that.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever played a Ubisoft game on the PC were I haven't immediately regretted not looking for a console version.

Their PC department sucks. It just doesn't work.

But because they're being dicks, I'm not even going to bother looking for them on consoles. I'd rather not play their games than have to listen to the anal leakage they're calling PR.

-|-:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I don't know the actual number so how can I comment on it? I certainly can't refute or confirm their claim; I assume they have done some analysis and that is what they think. Are they wrong? Probably, but I don't know for certain and I don't actually care one way or the other anyway.

Here is the thing you, and others too, are missing. I don't need to refute their numbers - I don't need to defend them or attack them. They have stated a position and are backing that position with a lot of money - they will either win or lose that bet. If they win, then it will turn out that they were at least partly right, if they lose then they lose something real and tangible to them - cash.

Again, you want to stop developing for the PC? Fine. But don't insult your consumer base on the way out. It is unprofessional and disrespectful.

Mother of god.

Ubisoft seriously needs to start thinking of the money GAINED instead of the money potentially lost.

And here we go again with the pointless piracy debate. We sure made a lot of progress the last 10 years its been going on. We gamers sure are a creative bunch when we can get this flamewar rolling for this long without even the slightest hint of something insightful, interesting or even half true to add to it. One side is preaching morality, partly to people who buy their games and feel insulted partly to people who won't give a fuck anyway. Another side is using this as an extension for the console wars to get rid of their buyers remorse and to feel superior because their gaming system is apparently the only way to define themselves. On the other side we have the stick it to the man idiots.

This is so tedious and boring, like watching a pound full of fat dogs yap all day about absolutely nothing for years and years ad nauseam.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

-|-:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Again, you want to stop developing for the PC? Fine. But don't insult your consumer base on the way out. It is unprofessional and disrespectful.

And shoots yourself in the foot because more often than not people have both consoles and PC games. I believe quite rightly no one likes being insulted. How do they categorise multi platform gamers? PC-thieves? Maybe they are only thieves when tempted by the devilish Demonoid? It's absurd. I am a multi-platform gamer and i say, fuck you Ubisoft and your excuse ridden wank, it will not be missed. Also in response to calling me a thief: You are a liar, a piss merchant and lots of other nasty names. Lets have a libel off! Maybe a slander match if they want to meet me face to face. Ho ho ho :D

Ubisoft ragequit with PC gaming so let them go ahead and cry, its their money lost because of their stupid mistakes.

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

The reality that consistently comes foward is, if you have no DRM, people will pirate the shit out of your stuff. The claim that DRM somehow means more piracy rings hollow when there's a pretty consistent piracy rate of over 3 quarters for things without DRM

Thats complete fucking bullshit. Keep pulling numbers out of your ass, just dont expect us to believe them.

(Protip: Not every statistic you read on 4chan, posted by some guy trolling the PC gamers is truthful.)

OutrageousEmu:

Amnestic:

OutrageousEmu:

Okay, but thats just a defeatist attitutde. "People are never gonna stop trying to steal our games, so don't even try to stop them". What if other people took that attitude? "Criminals are never gonna stop trying to find ways to kill people, so why even bother trying to protect myself?" "Diseases are never gonna stop trying to make me sick, so why bother keeping healthy?". The actual solution there? Stop supporting the PC. And here they are implementing that.

Just because it can't be stopped doesn't mean that it can't be fought. The problem is that some developers/publishers seem to be fighting it in the wrong way. They seem to think that obnoxious DRM and treating their legitimate customers like thieves (and indeed, outright stating it in Ubisoft's case here) will help their sales somehow. This has been proven to not be true.

So what has shown to be a good way to combat piracy? Three things really.
-Quality titles
-At reasonable prices
-From a company which has a fair amount of goodwill towards it.

Pirates will always exist, so the best way for developers/publishers to fight piracy is to offer a better product than the pirates do. This is a hard fought battle (since it's hard to argue with something which is free) but it can be done. It's why over a million people bought the Witcher 2 (despite there being a DRM-free version from GOG that I'm sure was on torrent sites almost immediately), why millions bought Skyrim, and New Vegas, Mass Effect 2 and all the other PC games that people know and love.

Because as it turns out, many gamers actually don't mind supporting the developers of games which they love. I don't. I could pirate Skyrim right this second if I wanted, but I won't, because I want to reward Bethesda for their work. At least 3.5 million people agreed with me for the first 48 hours after its release.

It's harder to justify rewarding a developer for their work when they treat you like shit.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Yes, I agree, it is both those things. But as things to rage about go, this is quite low down my list.

I guess I see too many threads raging about games publishers and developers etc, because when I look back at how good the output from the industry as a whole has been for the last couple of years I can cut them some slack for making the occasional faux pas.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

Thats complete fucking bullshit. Keep pulling numbers out of your ass, just dont expect us to believe them.

(Protip: Not every statistic you read on 4chan, posted by some guy trolling the PC gamers is truthful.)

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/13/world-of-goo-has-90-piracy-rate/

Shown my fucking work, now where's yours?

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

OutrageousEmu:

So unless DRM manages to stop alp piracy completely, you say its a failure. The fuck? A reduction in the rate of piracy is a success for DRM, not the total stopping of all piracy.

You're thinking of this the wrong way. Think if it like a dam (DRM). People (pirates) are trying to sabotage the dam with jackhammers to get the water (software) on the other side. They don't want to pay the cost of the water bill (cost of the legit game), whatever. Does it matter if the dam is only cracked in one small area or if it is utterly destroyed by a massive horde of angry jackhammer-bearing construction workers? No, the end result is the same, the water is flooding out, and the dam is useless.

Amnestic:

OutrageousEmu:

Amnestic:

Just because it can't be stopped doesn't mean that it can't be fought. The problem is that some developers/publishers seem to be fighting it in the wrong way. They seem to think that obnoxious DRM and treating their legitimate customers like thieves (and indeed, outright stating it in Ubisoft's case here) will help their sales somehow. This has been proven to not be true.

So what has shown to be a good way to combat piracy? Three things really.
-Quality titles
-At reasonable prices
-From a company which has a fair amount of goodwill towards it.

The piracy rates for the Humble Indie Bundle disprove all three of these. Like, bashing its head against a rock disprove. Quality titles? 5 of them. Reasonable price? 1 cent. Fair amount of goodwill? 5 independent game developers with profits going towards a gaming charity. Piracy rate? 25%, and thats just people stealing the games directly from the website, torrent rates have got to push that astronomically higher.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/humble-bundle-gives-pirates-what-they-want-gets-ripped-off.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Slayer_2:

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

You're thinking of this the wrong way. Think if it like a dam (DRM). People (pirates) are trying to sabotage the dam with jackhammers to get the water (software) on the other side. They don't want to pay the cost of the water bill (cost of the legit game), whatever. Does it matter if the dam is only cracked in one small area or if it is utterly destroyed by a massive horde of angry jackhammer-bearing construction workers? No, the end result is the same, the water is flooding out, and the dam is useless.

So your solution is to not build the dam in the first place? How would that be better?

Dear Ubisoft,
hi, how're you doing? I'm great, thank you for asking! Now then, there is something I wanted to discuss with you. You see, I happen to own a gaming PC, and a fairly high end one at that. Admittedly, it was more of a coincidence that I ended up with such a tiny god sitting on the desk next to me! Silly me, I just needed a fast CPU (well, plural of course, who only runs 4 cores these days?) for study related things, but as I was putting everything together, I thought to myself: "you know, 8gb of RAM sure sounds tempting, and that ATI 6950...hmm...I'd be a fool not to buy it!" So this is how I ended up with Moneypit, my darling PC. While creating Moneypit, I pondered how I would fill its 1tb hdd. Porn? Well, maybe when my 250gb external overflows...some time around next Monday at the latest, probably. Movies? Well, not really my thing. Music? Why, when the internet has it all legally on places like Pandora (well, not here in Germany, thanks to some fuckhead organization, but I digress)! Programs and data? Well, that doesn't take up a whole lot of space. So, my poor hdd is starving for data, what should I feed it? Games? Why, of course! Skyrim...oh, how many hours I sank into you! And Civilization, Minecraft, Morrowind, Deus Ex, etc. But, alas, I see no Ubisoft games in my library. You see, I am a bit apprehensive about your always online DRM. I've had to live with shitty mobile internet for the better part of two months, and it really struck me how unfeasible such a thing is for people in my situation. Therefore I avoided your games. I admit, that Assassin's Greed thing piqued my interest, and Anno 2070 has as well. But alas, instead of trying to accommodate little old me (and Moneypit's amazing storage!), and what little spare change this poor grad student has left, you instead insult me, and people like me. Why? We like your games, some more than others, but we always resented the DRM and horrid treatment you gave us. So tell me, why should I buy YOUR products? I feel like arguing with a crazy homelss person (apologies to hobos everywhere, you're alright), who spits in my face after I gave him the change he asked for. Why, tell me why should I give crazy-hobo-you any more change?

Sincerely,
thethingthatlurks

Avid PC gamer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook