Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

OutrageousEmu:

Amnestic:

OutrageousEmu:
Okay, but thats just a defeatist attitutde. "People are never gonna stop trying to steal our games, so don't even try to stop them". What if other people took that attitude? "Criminals are never gonna stop trying to find ways to kill people, so why even bother trying to protect myself?" "Diseases are never gonna stop trying to make me sick, so why bother keeping healthy?". The actual solution there? Stop supporting the PC. And here they are implementing that.

Just because it can't be stopped doesn't mean that it can't be fought. The problem is that some developers/publishers seem to be fighting it in the wrong way. They seem to think that obnoxious DRM and treating their legitimate customers like thieves (and indeed, outright stating it in Ubisoft's case here) will help their sales somehow. This has been proven to not be true.

So what has shown to be a good way to combat piracy? Three things really.
-Quality titles
-At reasonable prices
-From a company which has a fair amount of goodwill towards it.

The piracy rates for the Humble Indie Bundle disprove all three of these. Like, bashing its head against a rock disprove. Quality titles? 5 of them. Reasonable price? 1 cent. Fair amount of goodwill? 5 independent game developers with profits going towards a gaming charity. Piracy rate? 25%, and thats just people stealing the games directly from the website, torrent rates have got to push that astronomically higher.

So what's your method for combating piracy then? 'cos being a dick to your fanbase certainly doesn't work. The millions of sales of the games I quoted seems to imply that, despite the losses of World of Goo and the Humble Indie Bundle, people still want to reward developers who don't treat them like shit.

Apparently you think my method is flawed, so I ask you: What should developers/publishers do instead?

TitanAtlas:

mParadox:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...

Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...

HOMMM has gone to pants!
Far Cry 2 sucked, I cba with any of the other games.
Ubisoft hasn't had a game I've been interested in buying for years!

Least people now know where Ubisoft stands with PC's. Wish other companies had the balls to simply admit they don't care about a particular market *Ahem*valve*ahem*. Besides, what are people losing here? Only thing I can think of is Creed, and that's not that good.

Domehammer:
Used games are compared to piracy right?

Used games are even worse as far as publishers are concerned because they're legal.

Amnestic:

OutrageousEmu:

Amnestic:

Just because it can't be stopped doesn't mean that it can't be fought. The problem is that some developers/publishers seem to be fighting it in the wrong way. They seem to think that obnoxious DRM and treating their legitimate customers like thieves (and indeed, outright stating it in Ubisoft's case here) will help their sales somehow. This has been proven to not be true.

So what has shown to be a good way to combat piracy? Three things really.
-Quality titles
-At reasonable prices
-From a company which has a fair amount of goodwill towards it.

The piracy rates for the Humble Indie Bundle disprove all three of these. Like, bashing its head against a rock disprove. Quality titles? 5 of them. Reasonable price? 1 cent. Fair amount of goodwill? 5 independent game developers with profits going towards a gaming charity. Piracy rate? 25%, and thats just people stealing the games directly from the website, torrent rates have got to push that astronomically higher.

So what's your method for combating piracy then? 'cos being a dick to your fanbase certainly doesn't work. The millions of sales of the games I quoted seems to imply that, despite the losses of World of Goo and the Humble Indie Bundle, people still want to reward developers who don't treat them like shit.

Apparently you think my method is flawed, so I ask you: What should developers/publishers do instead?

Keep trying until they find a method of DRM that is actually piracy proof. DRM as a concept and the examples of DRM we've seen so far are not one and the same. Just because previous DRM was exploitable, that means those designs had a weakness. As these companies perfect DRM, said weaknesses become harder and harder to find, as seen by how the gap between the date for release and breaking for games is growing. Eventually, they will create a perfect form of DRM that actually does stop Piracy, but the only way they're going to get that is experimentation.

Fold down and shut their programming divisions, because itīs not worth it anymore...

On the topic:
My friends do pirate, hell, the only time they BUY games or movies is when theres a limited edition collectors malarky going on, but then they spend big. Still...friend of mine got Skyrim pirated, and immidiatelly told me he could give it to me aswell.
I just bought it for my Xbox 360 instead. Good purchase.
And no, itīs not completely wrong to asume the game will get pirated...because it WILL...like ANY PC GAME EVER MADE!
Itīs just much easier on PCs then on Consoles, and so this is a very logical step in my eyes...finaly, all the pirates get fucked up their ass for doing this because it "saves money, everyone who buys games is stupid!"
Still doesnīt excuse the way they did it.

If more companies would do this, then we will still see no drop in piracy of PC games, because itīs just that easy...cracking is easy, distribution is easy, and itīs free for you...

The only thing that saves a game from being pirated is a good multiplayer mode, because that might not work on a cracked version that canīt get patched...but some even can.

On account, I have a cracked game myself...Brigade 7.62mm, which is an obscure russian game you probably never heard of and neither did I. AND Minecraft. Because Iīm not gonna spend a cent to try out a game I might not like...the lack of MP doesnīt concern me, however I might get the full version to keep up the patches...but then I see that the newest versions also get pirated almost instantly...I could upgrade if I wanted too.

Ubisoft uses a form of DRM so restrictive that the pirate versions become superior to the purchased version and then become surprised that their games are pirated...

How about using a form of DRM that is accepted by the community AND provides advantages over pirated version such as steamworks which can be utilised to allow games to be saved to the cloud and synched between PC's, adds achievements, adds very good social functuality through the overlay and allows for easy automatic updates to the client.

Now add a good level of post-launch support through updates and quality DLC that makes it difficult for pirates to maintain a fully up to date version.

Personally I have no problem simply boycotting Ubisoft games. I have enough self control to stand up for what I think is right without stooping to piracy. If a game uses restrictive DRM or price gouges certain regions I see no need to waste my time on that company (and Ubisoft does both of these things - Revelations is $80 USD on steam here).

I think it is no surprise that Skyrim has been very succesful on Steam with up to 300,000 simultaneous players logged just after launch (the actual number of copies sold is probably far larger than 300,000). They released a quality game with a non-intrusive DRM (imo) with the promise of 'big' post-launch DLC. Skyrim did fail on the pricing front with a $90 USD price tag but due to all PC copies activating through Steam I was able to get an imported physical copy for $42 (which I gave to a friend) as well as a $47 copy from Greenmangaming for myself. I'm not saying Skyrim hasn't been pirated - it has and very likely in large numbers. But it was still a significant return on investment for Bethesda. I believe it's success was based on the reputation and respect for Bethesda and a relatively non-intrusive form of DRM.

Ubisoft is fast losing any respect it has among PC users and fails massively on the DRM front. I almost hope their claim of 95% piracy is accurate because at this stage it is exactly what they deserve, though personally I would prefer people to simply boycott.

DRM will always be cracked. Always. Publishers need to realise that they need to find another way to convince customers to pay for their games. They will never have a 100% success rate against pirates but they can reduce the piracy rate by earning the respect of gamers and providing a quality service post-launch.

My 5am post is turning into a rambling incoherant mess so I think it is best if I just stop writing now and go to bed. There is a point somewhere in here if you can be bothered looking for it.

So what about Settlers, Silent Hunter, Anno, HOMM and Trackmania? Are they just going to die now? To be honest all the Tom Clancy games have dropped in quality since Ubisoft took over. I had zero interest in Ghost Recon, because it was not likely to be anything like the games made by RedStorm.

Unfortunately the new Rainbow Six game did look interesting, dealing as it does with domestic terrorism in the US. Still just a fairly generic cover based shooter, but I had heard that they were reintroducing tactical aspects to the game. While the Vegas games did neuter the franchise they were still fun mindless shooters.

Beyond Good and Evil is the kicker though. I'll miss that, though like I have said before Ubi will probably make it either a modern warfare style FPS, or a kart racing game. Because Ubisoft hate you and your favourite franchises no matter what platform you play on.

hmm.... Rainbow Six looked way more interesting if they kill that for PC they're dead for me.

OutrageousEmu:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OutrageousEmu:
Is that why World of Goo had a 90% piracy rate despite no DRM?

The reality that consistently comes foward is, if you have no DRM, people will pirate the shit out of your stuff. The claim that DRM somehow means more piracy rings hollow when there's a pretty consistent piracy rate of over 3 quarters for things without DRM

Thats complete fucking bullshit. Keep pulling numbers out of your ass, just dont expect us to believe them.

(Protip: Not every statistic you read on 4chan, posted by some guy trolling the PC gamers is truthful.)

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/13/world-of-goo-has-90-piracy-rate/

Shown my fucking work, now where's yours?

So, the lead designer saw one torrent which 800 people downloaded and from there estimated that 90% of players were pirates.

I dont think I need to point out why thats bullshit. Its pretty self explanatory.

... I wonder... is there a chance that all this apparent "PC Gamer hatred" is, in fact, a publicity stunt? I mean, the direction they are taking with this seems a tad too stupid. Like, beyond the normal scope of developer stupidity. Declaring that 95% of PC gamers are pirates seems too dumb to be plausible.

One day I will walk up to the Ubisoft exec who decided this and give him the finger.
Because he is certainly not getting any of my money.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OutrageousEmu:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Thats complete fucking bullshit. Keep pulling numbers out of your ass, just dont expect us to believe them.

(Protip: Not every statistic you read on 4chan, posted by some guy trolling the PC gamers is truthful.)

So, the lead designer saw one torrent which 800 people downloaded and from there estimated that 90% of players were pirates.

I dont think I need to point out why thats bullshit. Its pretty self explanatory.

And your numbers to suggest piracy isn't that bad OH WAIT YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING CLOSE TO A SOURCE TO VERIFY WHAT YOU'RE SAYING SO SHUT UP!

Jesus Ubi. You don't wanna develop for PC? You know what, that's fine. I'm kinda dissapointed, but that's your prerogative. But to repeatedly go out of your way to insult not just the PC, but PC GAMERS? The people who have given you money? And to do so with fabricated, baseless, misleading, bullshit statistics?

I don't pirate games, and I will not pirate games, but damn if I'm not tempted now. And if I were a console player, frankly, I would have serious concerns about buying a game from a company that hates it's consumers. They just killed any interest I had in their console games.

Chrinik:
Itīs just much easier on PCs then on Consoles

Actually, they're both piss easy... In fact, although it takes 15 or so minutes to softmod a console, once you've got your console modded or chipped it's easier to pirate for consoles and no having to worry about borked cracked .exes screwing things up... I've used a few No-DVD cracks that I've had to tear back out because they did stupid things to the game.

Hell not even the PS3 using Bluray discs makes much of a difference... mate of mine has a drawer half full of 16Gb flashdrives with PS3 games on them (they're cheaper than blank BRD media at the moment and don't require an expensive burner... plus I think he stole most of them from work).

Xanadu84:
Jesus Ubi. You don't wanna develop for PC? You know what, that's fine. I'm kinda dissapointed, but that's your prerogative. But to repeatedly go out of your way to insult not just the PC, but PC GAMERS? The people who have given you money? And to do so with fabricated, baseless, misleading, bullshit statistics?

I think it's a fascinating business model. First announce a F2P game, a model which relies heavily on community goodwill, and at the same time call that same community a bunch of thieving pricks. It's like they're doing a thesis titled "The Effects of Mutual Antagonism Between Consumer and Developer/Publisher on Free To Play Games" or possibly "New Efficiencies In Destroying Money - Steps Beyond The Incinerator".

oh. i guess that means that from now on im fully justified to pirate their games. if im accused of crime i didnt commit, with no way to prove my innocence - hell i might as well embrace my new reputation.....

see, stupid thinking leads to stupid decisions. there is a lesson to be learned here and ubisoft failed that one. dont share their mistake.

tbh the only game from ubisoft that i remotely care about is assassins creed.... bought all of them.

Yup I'm primarily a PC gamer and how did Ubisoft guess that I'm such a scoundrel pirate. They must have snooped in my steam account and saw my roughly 200 purchased games and started screeching at me.

Kind of sorry that I gave these ass clowns money for their games even when they were on sale on steam with this kind of poor attitude.

I refuse to support them anymore on PC or Console. I don't need to play your games, I have tons of other developers I can throw my money at for a QUALITY experience. That's alright though, you'll just brand me a pirate because I don't agree with your shitty attitude, shitty drm or shitty business practices.

Does this constant blaming of PC Gamers kind of remind people of the olden days of screaming, "Witch" while bringing out some poor innocent soul to go roast on a stick because someone got the sniffles?

Maybe UBisoft should just stop making video games on console too. I seen a lot of Torrents for Xbox and PS3 games, pirates are not a PC only thing.

Stublore:

TitanAtlas:

mParadox:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...

Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...

HOMMM has gone to pants!
Far Cry 2 sucked, I cba with any of the other games.
Ubisoft hasn't had a game I've been interested in buying for years!

Well... Rayman... that game looks and is freaking insane.... i loved it... and still expecting a Beyond Good and Evil 2 so.... :D

I guess we should just not buy the new Creed game on PC than. I have a feeling that will be the last one on PC given their new direction.

I guess we should just not buy the new Creed game on PC than. I have a feeling that will be the last one on PC given their new direction.

Strixvaliano:
Does this constant blaming of PC Gamers kind of remind people of the olden days of screaming, "Witch" while bringing out some poor innocent soul to go roast on a stick because someone got the sniffles?

Nope, nor does it remind me of Nazi Germany, McCarthy era USA, the White Australia Policy, the Great Leap Forward, Stalin's Purges, The Crusades, various South and Central American Death Squads, Apartheid South Africa, the Atlantic Slave Trade, Internment Era Northern Ireland, or when Spock died.

It's just some company acting like a sack of cocks.

I would have expected this from Epic... but Ubisoft? I'm disappointed.
Know what? If the multiplayer was going to work as badly as Conviction's, I won't lose a thing.

I'm not even a PC gamer, but this is still adding to my list of reasons to dislike Ubisoft.

OutrageousEmu:

Slayer_2:

OutrageousEmu:
So unless DRM manages to stop alp piracy completely, you say its a failure. The fuck? A reduction in the rate of piracy is a success for DRM, not the total stopping of all piracy.

You're thinking of this the wrong way. Think if it like a dam (DRM). People (pirates) are trying to sabotage the dam with jackhammers to get the water (software) on the other side. They don't want to pay the cost of the water bill (cost of the legit game), whatever. Does it matter if the dam is only cracked in one small area or if it is utterly destroyed by a massive horde of angry jackhammer-bearing construction workers? No, the end result is the same, the water is flooding out, and the dam is useless.

So your solution is to not build the dam in the first place? How would that be better?

I don't know if you know this, but building a dam takes lots of time, and money. And in the case of always-on online DRM, additional server costs. Why waste money and time on something that is GUARANTEED to be destroyed within weeks, if not days? Instead of building the dam, just charge people for the "water" and hope they're decent enough to not go "downstream" to get it. Of course, with this method, LOTS of people are going to go "downstream", but most will find the "water" is not to their taste, which they would have anyhow, had you bothered to give out free samples.

I officially hate Ubisoft now. I've been really on the fence with whether or not I like Ubisoft for a good 3 years now, especially since they started milking the hell out of the mediocre at best Assassin's Creed series. Oh well, I hated Ubisoft's games after Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil, so Ubisoft can go fuck off for all I care, I'm done caring if they are. . .

You're still lucky you have Assassin's Creed Ubisoft... or i would of marked you off my 'To buy list' FOREVER.
Just like EA.

Also: Go fuck yourself Ubisoft.

And once again, piracy results in us not having nice things. And by 'us', I mean you, not me (the grammatically incorrect one).

Ubisoft creates invasive DRM that punishes the paying customer
Pirates get past the invasive DRM as a big "Screw You" to Ubisoft
Paying customers who have become sick of the invasive DRM resort to piracy
Ubisoft has a temper tantrum because they just can beat the pirates.

OutrageousEmu:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OutrageousEmu:

And your numbers to suggest piracy isn't that bad OH WAIT YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING CLOSE TO A SOURCE TO VERIFY WHAT YOU'RE SAYING SO SHUT UP!

Well, its hard to say since Valve dont release steam sales figures, but this

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

page tells us Skyrim had 160,000 players today.

The top version of Skyrim on TPB has 19,000 downloads.

Obviously, its nowhere near a proper way to determine the severity of piracy, but the above method certainly goes beyond what you seem to consider to be legit.

So, your point was?

Hands up who is in the 5% with legal Ubisoft games? I own a number of Ubisoft games, bought them all 100% legitamately, never downloaded an illegal game in my life or bought one.

Ubisoft, stop talking out your backside.

Doc Cannon:
I would have expected this from Epic... but Ubisoft? I'm disappointed.

Funny thing there is that Epic have stated they're looking at getting into 'middle tier' (between indie and AAA) developing for PCs... much lower budgets but, OTOH, far less insane sales pressures... meaning they can really push the envelope for dick jokes in gaming without having to worry too much about consumer backlash.

Ubisoft has never made a game worth playing anyway, I'll keep my console ported CoD and Skyrim TYVM.

vrbtny:
Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

Wow. I made this exact same post yesterday... Ubisoft are becoming predictable.

A bit sad that the gif must be used again so close to when it was last used in reference to this exact same company. Anyway I don't think I'll be buying anything first hand from Ubisoft unless they do some serious PR recovery as to be honest this is making Bobby Kotick look like he has people skills. I can't wait until they complain about preowned sales now because 95% of the people that play the game bought it preowned.

The whole fucking PR department of Ubisoft must be on holidays or else they are keeping them locked in a basement as it seems they really don't like money. Although the tone in this is much less fuck you and more of its not you its me.

I played the last 2 Ghost Recon games and while the first AW was alright(nothing like older games) the second was a boring disgrace of a game and I wouldn't even compare it to a B movie let alone super Hollywood. Although I shouldn't be mean to B movies they never hurt me. I mean 50,000*€30= €1,500,000. While it may not be big bucks in the game industry now it is more than enough to make back the money on a port and even that is a ridiculously low sales rate only a shitty port would get. This isn't even including the fact that it expands your potential audience for the crap these companies love like DLC.

As another user said Ubisoft you have one more chance you fuck up Rainbow 6 and you're dead to me. To think I was considering buying their catalogue during the Steam Christmas sale now I'll take my money somewhere else.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here