Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Well this is quite worrying. This could mean future Assassin's Creed games don't appear on PC, which would fucking suck, because I love the series and I don't have any consoles.

I own all the Assassin's Creed games so far (preordered Revs) because despite the stupid DRM they have put in place I find the games themselves to be excellent which I think makes up for that.

Also I was interested in playing Future Soldier. I didn't give a shit about I Am Alive, but it's a shame that this isn't coming to PC, because I like these type of "realistic, but not too much" shooters.

Guys, PLEASE buy Assassin's Creed Revelations and let the figures show them we want their PC releases.

I'm trying to think of any games I have pirated as a PC gamer, but am currently unsure about if what I did was wrong. Example, I got Unreal Tournament 99 from a friend on a flashdrive way back in high school, I liked it and it was only available bundled with UT2004, so I bought that. It also came with a CD with the awesome music for the games.

I legally purchased a copy of the original Bioshock and played using a crack that removed the 5 activation limit and removed the malware known as Securom as well.

brainslurper:

BodomBeachChild:
Do you know why I use piratebay.org? Because of assholes like you and EA and Bioware putting less, and less efforts into your games and I am not willing to pay $60 per-annual sequal. The Madden Effect/CoD effect has killed creativity and the greed companies like Ubi and EA display drive me to Pirate Bay games before I buy them.

No, you use pirate bay because you are an immoral leach on an industry that you continue to complain about. If you are not willing to pay for something, that doesn't give you the right to steal it.

I think the main reason for piracy tends to be how easy it is to do it and how unfortunately in multiple cases it is better. There are plenty of people who are pirates who download games with no though to ever buy them. There are also those who pirate the game and buy it later, Steam is a great system where developers make their money; its easy on the consumer in terms of DRM, and I can just wait for a sale if theirs something I want. If it is easier, and less inconvenient to pirate something they will do it. I am fine with online registration for multiplayer games, but constant internet to be able to play a single player game; along with not being able to save locally is stupid.

Torrents are meant for Linux distros and legally questionable anime fansubs.

A tear for BG&E2 and now I'll think of you no more, UbiSoft. :/

I hope everyone does what i do.

DON'T PLAY THEIR STUPID F2P NONSENSE

show them we don't want their games free. I pray PC gamers will not play this game, I want ubisoft to eat it's own words.

I also want people to pirate the free game. Hell, if you want to try it, pirate it and set up a private server, JUST TO PISS THEM OFF.

PLEASE do this! for the industry!

Very well, Sebastien.

5% of your games players want to give you money for your games? I rather suspect that's significantly below the industry average, and in that case, well, that's *your* problem, and nobody else's.

And if that's the same rate across the industry, and those 5% of paying players aren't enough to cover your development costs, as they apparently do at EA, Valve, Positech, Introversion, Stardock, THQ, Bethesda, et al, then again, the problem is you.

Of course, the most interesting part is what goes unsaid here, and that's the concession that all their much vaunted DRM measures are as for naught.

Aprilgold:
I don't think they'll step ENTIRELY out, but Ubisoft will probably make a game in the coming years just for the PC over the fact that they want more money.

They've more or less said their plan is to try and dive into the Free To Play cashpit that PCs are seeing at the moment.

Got to say, batshit way to go about it...

AverageJoe:
Guys, PLEASE buy Assassin's Creed Revelations and let the figures show them we want their PC releases.

Sorry but no.

Firstly because I have no interest in the game and secondly because I don't believe in rewarding people for dickish behaviour.

Why did I even bother buying RUSE, Rainbow Six and SC:Conviction... Hell I can't even play conviction due to some bullshit resolution issue and you don't see me bitching.

OK. Just Make console games then. Don't forget bitch about used game sales.

Is that figure true ? 95% ? If that's true then PC gamers are kind of douchy themselves.

Ubisoft sound like they're on their period or something. It's actually shameful.

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:
Is that figure true ? 95% ? If that's true then PC gamers are kind of douchy themselves.

Piracy numbers are NEVER accurate, if it involves statistics you can bend it to however you want to make things look a certain way. Side note, everyone I know who is between the ages of 14-30 who owns a Wii has it modded and able to play backups.

Ubisoft is being bitch again, their games sales dropped when they announced their incredibly draconian DRM; always need an internet connection to play single player games. I know people who torrentvthe game of publishers they dislike and never play the game to spite them; I find not showing any interest the most effective. Appathy/not showing interest unfortunately doesn't work well in getting a point across, just like boycotts don't.

Switchblade 327:

Flac00:
To be honest guys, its not like this hasn't come out of nowhere. Almost every game is pirated constantly. Hell, with some older games, the only people who actually now get it is by pirating it. This isn't Ubisoft being just dicks. I mean sure, they overreacted, but they do have a legitamate reason. Take this as a lesson. PC people (and I am included in this), BUY GAMES, DONT PIRATE. You are ruining the market more than Call of Duty or Madden ever will.

But the problem arises when the pirating minority is addressed by DRM.

I mean, I actually have the fucking $50 Shivering Isles disc AND the $50 Fallout 3 disc that I bought at Best-Buy some odd 4-6 years ago, AND I STILL have torrented .iso versions saved to my external drive, because the DRM on the discs WON'T LET THE GAMES FUCKING RUN.

This isn't actually software piracy, and this isn't what people concerned with game sales consider to be software piracy.

Downloading and circumventing DRM to make games playable aren't the issue; it's people who steal the game. Non-customers.

I mean, they're ruining their own market. People pirate on consoles, too, it's just that they don't get as much attention.

That's because it's not even half as easy. You have to physically modify your console, generally paying someone to do it. Then you have to copy the files to a media the console can read or use. It's just not as prevalent. It's comparing apples to orchards.

It's also hard to find PC games. I mean, I go to Gamestop looking for a game, and they don't have it, because they literally get ONE copy of the game for PC. That's it. ONE COPY. Once it's gone, you can't get it there. You have to go online. For some people (like me) who don't have credit cards, or $110 on hand to spend on a $100 pre-paid Visa Debit to buy a game online, we're not left a lot of options.

The thing is, how long is that one copy sitting on that store shelf? What is the turn-over for that single copy? You can see the dust on some of those 'one copy' games.

That said, UbiSoft's DRM schemes DO suck, horribly.

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:

Actually, no one knows the correct numbers, its usually estimation, about a week or so back they said it was 50%, so they obviously are lying about their figures a large bunch are false.

Mainly, their never correct, but we can only estimate.

DracoSuave:

I mean, they're ruining their own market. People pirate on consoles, too, it's just that they don't get as much attention.

That's because it's not even half as easy. You have to physically modify your console, generally paying someone to do it. Then you have to copy the files to a media the console can read or use. It's just not as prevalent.

Bollocks it's not easy. Softmodding a console is a 30 minute job at most (yeah you can still pay people to do it if you don't like playing with screwdrivers and SATA cables)... and 'copy files to media the can read'? Like... oh, a DVD or flashdrive? How is that NOT easy?

I've got a PS3 sitting within arm's reach of me that I could softmod in about 20 minutes... not that I would because it belongs to one of my nephews and he wouldn't appreciate it.

As for 'just not as prevalent'... no one knows that for sure. Far too many calculations are based on torrent numbers which ignores the anecdotal evidence that many console pirates source their material from the same place they had their console modded rather than directly sourcing from the internet so it's possible that a significant amount of console piracy goes unnoticed.

Also, if piracy really is enough to drive companies away from a platform then the few estimates on handhelds that have surfaced should have had them fleeing en masse.

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:

It sounds rather a like a figure pulled from his ass for the purposes of a quote. But he put it out there, so let's work with it.

Notice he doesn't say whether that's an industry wide figure, or Ubi's own personal nightmare.

If it's an industry wide figure, that means that there are several dozen studios and publishers who can turn a profit, and produce sequels and DLC for their games, in spite of the fact that only 5% of the players who play their games have paid for them. But not Ubi. Or Ubi's just giving up purely on principle, but it's hard to boldly stride off on the moral high ground after you've inflicted all sorts of DRM shenanigans on your paying customers.

Or, that figure is unique to Ubi, and for some reason, those other studios have a garnered a higher payment compliance rate than Ubi has.

But really, he's just whining about the loss of Imaginary Pirate Revenue.

bkd69:
But really, he's just whining about the loss of Imaginary Pirate Revenue.

He probably bitches about all the lotteries he never won as well.

4RT1LL3RY:
I'm trying to think of any games I have pirated as a PC gamer, but am currently unsure about if what I did was wrong. Example, I got Unreal Tournament 99 from a friend on a flashdrive way back in high school, I liked it and it was only available bundled with UT2004, so I bought that. It also came with a CD with the awesome music for the games.

I legally purchased a copy of the original Bioshock and played using a crack that removed the 5 activation limit and removed the malware known as Securom as well.

brainslurper:

BodomBeachChild:
Do you know why I use piratebay.org? Because of assholes like you and EA and Bioware putting less, and less efforts into your games and I am not willing to pay $60 per-annual sequal. The Madden Effect/CoD effect has killed creativity and the greed companies like Ubi and EA display drive me to Pirate Bay games before I buy them.

No, you use pirate bay because you are an immoral leach on an industry that you continue to complain about. If you are not willing to pay for something, that doesn't give you the right to steal it.

I think the main reason for piracy tends to be how easy it is to do it and how unfortunately in multiple cases it is better. There are plenty of people who are pirates who download games with no though to ever buy them. There are also those who pirate the game and buy it later, Steam is a great system where developers make their money; its easy on the consumer in terms of DRM, and I can just wait for a sale if theirs something I want. If it is easier, and less inconvenient to pirate something they will do it. I am fine with online registration for multiplayer games, but constant internet to be able to play a single player game; along with not being able to save locally is stupid.

Torrents are meant for Linux distros and legally questionable anime fansubs.

I torrent ubisoft games A LOT. But I always buy them on steam first, because the developers deserve their money.

TitanAtlas:

mParadox:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...

Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...

The only game I am interested in is Splinter Cell. They can keep their games for themselves, if they don't want PC Gamers' money then... so be it..

Good, it probably would have required you to be doing a handstand, be online both broadband and 56k, at all times to play the game, including the menus restricted you to only having that game online and also disabling your PC from downloding anything considering their DRM policy.

Never played Ghost Recon, no interest. While Ubisoft are really out of line with these comments and decisions regarding PC development, I couldn't care less if they didn't make them on any platform. It does lose them some of the residual respect I had after the incredible PoP trilogy.

do they know consoles can be hacked to play "back ups" ?
its more difficult but not impossible
i hate multiplayer, so wont touch if free to play or not

RhombusHatesYou:

DracoSuave:

That's because it's not even half as easy. You have to physically modify your console, generally paying someone to do it. Then you have to copy the files to a media the console can read or use. It's just not as prevalent.

Bollocks it's not easy. Softmodding a console is a 30 minute job at most (yeah you can still pay people to do it if you don't like playing with screwdrivers and SATA cables)... and 'copy files to media the can read'? Like... oh, a DVD or flashdrive? How is that NOT easy?

I never said it was difficult.

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers. The moment you're talking about a 30 minute job, you've already lost the argument. It IS more complicated. And that creates a barrier to entry that causes most console buyers not to mod their consoles.

On top of this, there is risk involved; Sega and MS are continually trying to make it so that altered machines don't work, meaning that just because your mod works today, doesn't mean your mod will work tomorrow.

On the other hand, your computer is already enabled for piracy. Is it a computer? If Yes, you're ready. If no, then how are you on the internet you crazy technomantic psychic you!

30 minutes of work just to get your console ready TO pirate? Some people are deterred by that and go 'Fuck it, I'll just take 15 minutes to go to the store and buy it.'

Let's not pretend console piracy is as prevalent as PC piracy, or as easy. It just isn't. Anyone who claims to believe otherwise is lying. Flat, out, lying.

so Ubisoft have said no pc port for I Am Alive, a Free to Play multiplayer but no single player fo pc Ghost Recon, and holding Beyond Good and Evil fans to ransom to buy the new Rayman.
Poor show Ubisoft, trying to recoup the losses from all them post-it notes?

I am half tempted to encourage piracy of Ubifails software, after all if you are going to get tarred with that brush you may as well get the benefits out of it too.
Right ?

... then again Ubifails dont make PC games so its a moot point, wish they would just come out and say they dont make PC games and stop confusing the easily confused masses.

DracoSuave:

RhombusHatesYou:

DracoSuave:

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers. The moment you're talking about a 30 minute job, you've already lost the argument. It IS more complicated. And that creates a barrier to entry that causes most console buyers not to mod their consoles.[...]

Let's see: Give a guy some cash, wait 30 minutes, and then be able to play any pirated game which, for better or for worse, works exactly like the bought version, since the game data does not get modified (console piracy), as opposed to looking for a virus-free crack that does not influence game behaviour too much, for each and every game I want to pirate (pc piracy)?

Yeah, PC piracy is much easier.

Granted, the initial effort on consoles is a bit higher (although I would argue that searching for and evaluating cracks can take around 30 minutes, too, and this for each game), but after that, it becomes infinitely easier on consoles.

OT: I don't condone Piracy, except for exactly one case: Using it as a demo.
The companies want me to give them my money, so I will evaluate their product, just as I do with everything else, be it online or real life. And since I can't return a game if it sucks, as opposed to, say, a bag of chips that have gone moldy or the like, I am pirating games for that very reason. Simple solution: Release demos again. For the love of god, do.

And if you somehow don't think customers are entitled to sample a product prior to byuing, then I have a perfectly good used car deal for you.

Clarification: In germany, you can't even return a game after you've undone the shrink wrap. No key has been utilised, no activation has occured, not even the booklet or disc has been taken out, but you simply can't return it. Brave new world that some people here even seem to welcome...

DracoSuave:

RhombusHatesYou:

DracoSuave:

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers.

Actually you did. Do we need to play the antonym game?

The moment you're talking about a 30 minute job, you've already lost the argument. It IS more complicated. And that creates a barrier to entry that causes most console buyers not to mod their consoles.

Actually, from the shitpot of people who've asked me about modded consoles and talking to mates who run a side business modding consoles, the thing that pulls people up short is the risk a modded console poses to their precious online account.

On top of this, there is risk involved; Sega and MS are continually trying to make it so that altered machines don't work, meaning that just because your mod works today, doesn't mean your mod will work tomorrow.

Sega? bwahaha...

That could be a problem if you modchipped... if you softmodded it's just an inconvenience... and saying any more on that would probably be breaking the forum rules.

Also, if you take a modded console online, well, that's your look out... That's like using a pirated OS online without taking certain precautions.

30 minutes of work just to get your console ready TO pirate? Some people are deterred by that and go 'Fuck it, I'll just take 15 minutes to go to the store and buy it.'

Yes and some people if you gave them a gold dinner plate would bitch that it was too heavy.

I mean really... you think that people who have no moral qualms about piracy are suddenly going to say '30 WHOLE minutes so I can get free stuff? fuck that, I'm paying full price!'?

Let's not pretend console piracy is as prevalent as PC piracy, or as easy. It just isn't.

So where are you hiding all the hard numbers on piracy prevalency and why aren't you sharing them with publishers instead of leaving them to pull random numbers out of their arses?

How about we not pretend anyone has a definitive answer instead?

I was going to buy it on PS3, but also owning a PC I've decided to give Ubisoft the finger and not buy this game.

yeeeaaah... ubi... you are getting more titles that are being more and more meh... bye ubi.. get the f*** out of my house thank you. Gonna be with BioWare and EA later

Like I said in the previous thread: Fine Ubisoft. Give up on the PC, it's much more honest then what you were doing by kneecapping all your PC games with your DRM. However, as part of the divorce settlement, I want all your studios that develop PC exclusive titles (Anno 2070, Settlers, Silent Hunter, Might & Magic) placed in foster homes like Valve or Stardock, because you've proven time and time again you're a horrible abusive parent to them.

Seriously, don't keep releasing games that you haven't been able to get working with a controler and which regretably you need to release on that wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the PC. And then don't tell us that the horrible, horrible DRM that comes with it is neccesary because it will stop the pirates. You've admited the DRM isn't worth jack, if 95% of all people interested in your PC games pirate it (a figure which I seriously doubt). You've put your cards on the table Ubisoft. You hate PC gamers, and now we hate you too. Fuck off to the consoles and start whining how the second hand market there is killing your profits, and leave the programmers that actually have some love for games release PC clasics in peace.

RhombusHatesYou:

AverageJoe:

Sorry but no.

Firstly because I have no interest in the game and secondly because I don't believe in rewarding people for dickish behaviour.

You have no interest in the game... Alright... Then why did you even bother replying to my post? I'm not going to change your mind if you don't like the game and I wasn't asking for opinions on it. My post should be meaningless to you....?

I was talking to Assassin's Creed fans who might pirate or ignore the game simply because of its DRM. I think thats fucking stupid, and I always have. There is no DRM out there that makes a great game not worth getting. It's just DRM. If it bothers people that much or causes problems, it's circumvented with a crack that takes 2 minutes to download and 2 seconds to copy into the game folder. It's a stupid decision that I agree we should not encourage, however it does not outweigh all the time and effort that goes into making an excellent game like Assassin's Creed.

DRM is simply fluff on the outside of a game. We don't boycott a game because it has one feature we don't like, if we like all the other features, do we? So why is DRM any different to that. When it comes to the DRM issue, one thing I can agree with on Ubisoft's side is that PC gamers are whiners, who make mountains out of molehills.

AverageJoe:

DRM is simply fluff on the outside of a game. We don't boycott a game because it has one feature we don't like, if we like all the other features, do we? So why is DRM any different to that. When it comes to the DRM issue, one thing I can agree with on Ubisoft's side is that PC gamers are whiners, who make mountains out of molehills.

A friend of mine wasn't able to play the last 3 games he bought from Ubisoft because of their DRM. This DRM punishes the people who buy the game because they have more problems than pirates.

So yes, DRM was, is and will be the issue when it comes to Ubisoft and their inability to understand how to animate people to actual spend money on their games. It is NOT "fluff outside the game" if it is so much less hassle to find a crack instead of the game instead of trying to get the game work normally.

Actually, I now understand where the 95% come from. Most of their customers are sick with this stupid DRM, buy the game and crack it then. I actually know several people who do that.

Well, I stopped getting the new Ubisoft games as soon as they integrated the always online DRM - even though I would have loved to play the new Heroes

hmm, not for PC because youre just going to pirate it? thats a shame, maybe ill pirate it for 360 instead SINCE YOU CAN DO THAT. nice thinking ubi...

RhombusHatesYou:

DracoSuave:

RhombusHatesYou:

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers.

Actually you did. Do we need to play the antonym game?

Not with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a comparison "It's not even half as easy" with an absolute statement "It's not easy."

Two people can be fat. However if I say one person 'Is not even half as fat as the other' that in no way is stating that said person is skinny. It just means he's not as fat.

The rest of it reads more as an advertisement or justification for piracy than an actual argument stating that console piracy isn't more involved, or as easy, as PC piracy. Fact is: The moment you said that it's a 30 minute physical alteration of the unit, yes, it IS actually less easy.

And as for the virus issue... yes, you still run the same risk of computer intrusion acquiring pirated software for a console as you do on the computer--given that it uses the exact same mechanics, websites, etc....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here