Original Voice Actors Reenter Silent Hill 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Original Voice Actors Reenter Silent Hill 2

After a long struggle, fans will be able to enjoy both new and original voice acting in half of the Silent Hill HD Collection.

There's no nice way to say this: Voice acting in video games used to be, generally speaking, pretty bad. The inclusion of accomplished voice actors, bigger budgets, and improved sound studios means that modern games often get the best-of-the-best when it comes to characters with speaking roles. The downside, of course, is that when remakes of classic games come around, the voice track is in a precarious position. Leaving the old voices intact might make the project sound incongruous, but recording lines with new actors could be a disservice to the original cast. In the case of the Silent Hill HD Collection, it will feature the best of both worlds. Players will be able to choose between the new, remastered lines or the original ones in Silent Hill 2. Unfortunately, the producers were unable to provide the same option for Silent Hill 3, which will feature only the new voices.

The announcement came by way of the official Silent Hill HD Collection Facebook page. "We're proud to announce that Silent Hill HD Collection will offer an option for original voices in Silent Hill 2," writes series producer Tomm Hulett. "This means fans and newcomers alike can experience the classic horror tale remastered with modern voice performances; as well as the original recordings from 2001." This option will likely please many longtime Silent Hill fans, as well as Guy Cihi, the original voice actor for Silent Hill 2 protagonist James Sunderland. Cihi previously urged Konami to "do the right thing" and include the original voice track not for royalties, but to preserve a piece of gaming history.

Meanwhile, fans of Silent Hill 3 will have to keep their original PS2 discs handy. "Unfortunately," Hullet continues, "due to factors both technical and logistical, Silent Hill 3 will be presented with new voices only." Hullet does not elaborate on this, but many fans in the comments section surmise that this is due to Heather Morris, the original voice actress for Silent Hill 3's Heather Mason, being unreachable. If Morris herself weighs in, things could change, but the game is set to ship in January. Logistically speaking, there might not be enough time to include the original track.

Nostalgic fans of long-running series are a notoriously hard-to-please demographic, but it seems like Konami is doing its best to make the Silent Hill HD collection accessible for both veterans and newcomers. In the meantime, Guy Cihi was kind enough to comment on one of our previous Silent Hill articles; if Heather Morris would like to leave her thoughts here, we would appreciate it very much.

Source: Silent Hill Official Fanpage

Take note, other developers. This is how you do it.

It's a shame about Silent Hill 3. Their actions with Silent Hill 2 definitely lend credence to the idea that they wanted to do it but were legitimately incapable of doing so for one reason or another.

I still haven't forgiven Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for not including the older voice of Grey Fox.

Now I might buy this instead of shelling out for a used PS2 and an old copy Silent Hill 2. Imperfection makes the best horror games IMO. More of this sort of thing.

Is that really a good thing? The voice acting was so horrible...

At least they were willing to meet fans half way on this, unlike other developers that will give fans the middle finger on such things.

It's too bad I have long since stopped caring on that matter, I still have my PS2 and my original copies, and I'm quite happy that way.

It does make me wonder whatever happened to Heather Morris though, did aliens abduct her or something?

Exterminas:

I agree, I really preferred the new actors.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
At least they were willing to meet fans half way on this, unlike other developers that will give fans the middle finger on such things

Ya know these things aren't as easy as you think. Capcom has wanted to do an online port of Rival School for years, but can't because some they can't track down some of the voice actors to get approval and pay royalties for the port.

Well it's about time Konami fixed this. I'm not going to buy the game, but it's good to know they're paying tribute to the old SH 2 cast.

Hitman Dread:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
At least they were willing to meet fans half way on this, unlike other developers that will give fans the middle finger on such things

Ya know these things aren't as easy as you think. Capcom has wanted to do an online port of Rival School for years, but can't because some they can't track down some of the voice actors to get approval and pay royalties for the port.

Oh I know full well these things aren't easy.

What I was getting at was they didn't have to track down the old voice actors and try to get them to do a remake, but they did, and that's great. And they could've said, "Well we can't get everyone on board for this, so let's not get the old ones back", but they didn't, so everyone wins.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new voice overs, and trust me, I want to punch myself in the mouth for that since I love Troy Baker and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

Wait, wait, wait. People were upset because the last cast got replaced by a better one? I heard there were issues regarding the VAing in the remakes, but I never thought it would be something so... eccentric(?)

Oh well. I suppose this is the best option and pleases everybody. In the end, pleasing as may people as you can is what their job is. Good on you Konami, even if having this debacle elaborated on makes me very sad.

Good. The new voices failed to capture the emotion of the original game. They tried to make them gritty and dark, which completely missed the point.

So similar to Halo aniversarry graphics toggle?
Thats neat I guess, also I heard Silent hill 2 is coming for the 360, is this true?

imnotparanoid:
Thats neat I guess, also I heard Silent hill 2 is coming for the 360, is this true?

The Silent Hill HD collection (SH2+3) is being released on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Amnestic:

imnotparanoid:

The Silent Hill HD collection (SH2+3) is being released on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

DO WANT. Seriously its about time I played a horror game with some, horror.
Screw you Dead space _

Amnestic:
I still haven't forgiven Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for not including the older voice of Grey Fox.

The Twin Snakes was a different beast altogether. They didn't just use the old recordings, the original actors actually reprised their roles to re-record the original lines. Needless to say there were bound to be a few gaps. That they managed to get hold of so many of the original actors was a miracle in itself. I heard David Hayter actually payed them out of his own personal money simply to get them on board so the game would seem authentic.

OT: As for this... whereas I'm real happy about this news, I still shall not be buying this game. Odd really because Silent Hill 2 is in my top 5 all time favourites. Then again that's probably the very reason I don't want to play this "remastered" version. I still have my special edition and director's cut versions of SH2 and the original SH3 along with a perfectly operational PS2. If this "collection" actually contained Silent Hill 1 and The Room, I would be all over it. But for 2 games I already own, love and cherish... nope, you're not destroying my memories Konami!

You take what you can get, I guess.

Still sucks about SH3. The old dude's performance might've been terrible, but Heather was brilliant.

Exterminas:

You're right, it was terrible wasn't it! I dunno though, I think that's why I thought it worked - the whole game was totally surreal and then you've got people talking like they don't remember how talking works; it went with the atmosphere.

Granted I haven't heard the new voices, so they may be better.

This is a ploy do not support the new Silent Hill devs if you want to play this game play the original on ps2 or on pc (which can already run HD quality) Also to the naysayers SH2's voice acting was amazing the jail scene is so memorable.

The new voice acting is terrible. I can't believe that there are people that think the new one is better.

Erja_Perttu:

Exterminas:

You're right, it was terrible wasn't it! I dunno though, I think that's why I thought it worked - the whole game was totally surreal and then you've got people talking like they don't remember how talking works; it went with the atmosphere.

Granted I haven't heard the new voices, so they may be better.

It sucks ass. I won't be happy until the completely remove them from the game or at least they put the old ones by default and you activate the new ones in a config buried deep down in the menu.

ares5566:
This is a ploy do not support the new Silent Hill devs if you want to play this game play the original on ps2 or on pc (which can already run HD quality) Also to the naysayers SH2's voice acting was amazing the jail scene is so memorable.

Dude, even the people that prefer the old work say it's balls. It's balls.

Ok, sooooo... who's going to hire a private detective to track down Heather Morris? :P
'Cause I really doubt SH3's new voices are much better than SH2's. Especially considering they never showed them off.

read about that Guy guy earlier this year lol
quite nice they got things worked out, royalties or not
even if his original acting really was horrendous ahaha (but hey some things hold true nostalgic value, not gonna lie)

Every time bad voice acting comes up, I go back to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bx_9QYt7k

Brings back all the old memories :)

Even though I'm glad they decided to fix the voice acting, I'm still probably not buying it.
If I want to play Silent Hill 2, I'll put the Silent Hill 2 disc into my PS2 and play it. Sounds easier than paying 60 bucks for a game I already have.

BX3:

ares5566:

Dude, even the people that prefer the old work say it's balls. It's balls.

Silent Hill 2's voice acting was amazing, from Guy Cihi's dunderhead James to Monica Horgan's Dual personality of Maria-Mary. Every line is presented flawlessly and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I never thought SH's voice acting was bad, other than the first game. In fact, I thought it was great. But, yeah, the new voice-work does seem to suck, so far.

Why can't they just get the original voice actors?

Is it problems of budget or scheduling?

Voice actors cannot be picky about the roles they take, it is hard to make any money in that field unless your name is Tara Song.

Not G. Ivingname:

For SH 3, they needed permission from Heather Morris for her voice to be used in the re-release. Since they couldn't contact her, they have to scrap the old voice-work since it's all part of the same track. Even if they did manage to contact her now, the release date is so close that they wouldn't be able to meet it just to put her in.

They could cut Morris from the old track and use the new voice-actor with the originals, but that just costs more money from Konami's pocket.

*blinks-blinks* I think I'll just hang on to the old copy I have.

Thank god, the Sh2 Voice acting was terrible, but it was the right kind of terrible.
That kind of terrible that sounds just slightly real and slightly off, kind of dipping into the sound equivalent of the uncanney valley enhancing the horror experience because you knew those were human people and they were nicely developed characters, but the way they spoke, it was just off and right at the same time. it was amazing.

ares5566:

Silent Hill 2's voice acting was amazing, from Guy Cihi's dunderhead James to Monica Horgan's Dual personality of Maria-Mary. Every line is presented flawlessly and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Ditto.
I still consider Monica Horgan's portrayal of two characters to be the best example of how great voice acting in games can be. If you pay close attention, you'll notice how the voice of Maria will change to Mary's in some cutscenes, especially noticeable in the jail cell. Perfect example of showing-not-telling, and very subtle foreshadowing.

Sweet, I'm extremely grateful for having the option =].

I have to say though, I think the old voice acting fit. Guy Cihi wasn't even a voice actor, and the fact that it didn't fit was actually perfect for what they were trying to create. Think about, whats better: A pro voice actor TRYING to sound like he doesn't fit in or understand everything that's going on(which I imagine is very difficult to get right), or a non-voice actor, actually not getting it right or understanding. It didn't work in everything(old RE voice acting for example really is just shit), but it definitely worked in SH2.

I'll add this onto the pile of things to get methinks, I can definitely do with playing SH2 again and getting cheevos for it...

RaNDM G:

Not G. Ivingname:

For SH 3, they needed permission from Heather Morris for her voice to be used in the re-release. Since they couldn't contact her, they have to scrap the old voice-work since it's all part of the same track. Even if they did manage to contact her now, the release date is so close that they wouldn't be able to meet it just to put her in.

If they do locate Heather Morris after the fact, couldn't they then release the original voice file as (free) DLC?

I've got no idea if that's feasible or not, but I think it'd be cool if she does come forward and it's too late to get it on the disc (which it seems to be now).

Amnestic:

RaNDM G:

Not G. Ivingname:

If they do locate Heather Morris after the fact, couldn't they then release the original voice file as (free) DLC?

I've got no idea if that's feasible or not, but I think it'd be cool if she does come forward and it's too late to get it on the disc (which it seems to be now).

Heather's voice was terrible in sh3 it's the only voice I didn't like. Her voice was so out of the mood and unrealistic.

thethingthatlurks:

ares5566:

Ditto.
I still consider Monica Horgan's portrayal of two characters to be the best example of how great voice acting in games can be. If you pay close attention, you'll notice how the voice of Maria will change to Mary's in some cutscenes, especially noticeable in the jail cell. Perfect example of showing-not-telling, and very subtle foreshadowing.

Yea she plays completely different people only in voice and it's done flawlessly.

"as well as the original recordings from 2001"
Wow, 2001? That's like way ancient history, dude!
Seriously, I was only 19 back then! :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or