"Overly Sexual" STD Shooter Privates Wins BAFTA

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Overly Sexual" STD Shooter Privates Wins BAFTA

Over a year since being blocked by Microsoft for explicit content, Privates takes top honors for "best learning game."

Many titles haven't made it through Xbox Live's vetting process in the past, but few have been as strangely memorable as indie game Privates. Most people first heard about Size Five's immodest shooter back when Microsoft first denied it a spot in Xbox 360's Indie Marketplace in September of 2010. Apparently, someone over there thought that a game about an elite team of condom-hatted commandos assaulting the inside of an infected vagina was somewhat too explicit for their demographic. Well, it might be too sexual for gamers, but according to the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, it's not too sexual for secondary school kids. In fact, they believe it's quite the opposite; they've awarded Privates a BAFTA award for best secondary school learning game in the Children's Awards category.

"I can't thank BAFTA enough for honouring a tiny studio who made a weird little game," said Dan Marshall, founder of Size Five. "It was a great night, and I'm brimming with pride. To stagger home with one of those oh-so-familiar shiny metal face awards is so surreal, and completely magical."

For those of you unfamiliar with BAFTA, it's actually a fairly big deal. Aside from running year-round educational programs, they hold multiple high-profile award ceremonies honoring excellence in movies, television, videogames, and animation.

The fact that BAFTA decided to recognize Size Five doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft was wrong in denying it virtual shelf space between games such as Limbo and Trials HD, just that the game does an exceptional job of educating kids about the risk of STDs and the importance of safe sex. And in case you were thinking that Privates was just a quick way for a small developer to cash in on some people's apparent obsession with naughty bits, just remember that Size Five actually offers the game for free. So, hats off, Size Five. But not condom hats. Those, we should apparently keep on.

Source: Eurogamer

What the hell did I just watch...

imnotparanoid:

I...I think we just got laid.

They should definitely market pink condom hats somewhere. Putting real ones on your head (Cough, The one with your skull, not the other one) can cause a rather *ahem* sticky situation.

imnotparanoid:

I think a "That's what she said..." joke is in there.

Why did I suddenly picture the Catholic school teacher who taught me sex education having a stroke?

I played it a while back because it was from the same people that did the great Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please and it was a pretty goofy game, but and entertaining experience.

Would this qualify as a Pubic Service Announcement?

imnotparanoid:

I think you mean "what the fuck..."

I have no -ing clue what that was but I'm sure as hell going to download it now.

Wow.

Well, that's certainly one way to get kids/teens interested in sexual health, if it actually is educational anyway.
It's just a shame that no school will agree to use it.

I need a shower after watching this...

Very nice to see some respect for these games, this game is hilarious and fucking free go play it right now!
But I do need to mention it was buggy as hell when first released, not sure if that got fixed by now.

lesson learned: next time i go to sleep with some stranger i should take a minigun

Man bad,
man always bad;
man sad.

hilarious and fantastic.

I gotta show this to somebody

On the one hand, I find this repugnant on both a moral and personal level.

On the other hand, "YOU CAN'T SHOOT ME, I'M AIDS."

I.. Uh.. This...

Why do I not own this yet?!

Take my money, all of it! I need this game inside me...very own game console!!

That was officialy very icky, and very funny.

I feel rather..... ew.

hehe weird games, how i love them

Blind Sight:
Why did I suddenly picture the Catholic school teacher who taught me sex education having a stroke?

Definitely not the double meaning I wanted to picture tonight...

Never even heard of that game before.

Though it's not like teaching kids through games is something new, but Sex Ed certainly is. If only the US wasn't so prudish about the idea of Sex.

Had to resist bursting out in laughter after the very first voice.
"You can't shoot me, I'm AIDS!"
Brilliant.

Roganzar:

imnotparanoid:

I think a "That's what she said..." joke is in there.

no there isnt.
if there was, i'd be all up in that bitch.

OT: yeah... i'm going to agree withe the paranoid guy.

In all honestly, I believe that would be the most effective way to teach sex ed. Why the fuck couldn't that be in my school!!!

Micalas:

imnotparanoid:

I...I think we just got laid.

we did?

virginity is underrated.

I am almost scared to think of what form DLC for this would take...

Or a sequel? Oh God...

Privates II: Dark Side of the Moon

Well, my future kids won't need "the talk" now :)

*Edit: Went to the site... they have a spoiler.

"SPOILER ALERT: The new level is a massive cock." :P

I....don't know if I should be laughing at some of the dialog or not...I'm so confused...

However, YOU CAN'T SHOOT ME, I'M AIDS!!

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I....don't know if I should be laughing at some of the dialog or not...I'm so confused...

However, YOU CAN'T SHOOT ME, I'M AIDS!!

That's true, AIDS is a condition therefore you can't shoot it :)

"You can't shoot me; I'm aids."

... I'm so fucking bummed out I'll never be able to use this in a conversation.

"Look! A massive vagina!"

I want this game. I wish schools could use it for sex ed.

I do believe this is wonderful. And possibly quite informative. Either way; I'm getting it.

lunncal:
Wow.

Well, that's certainly one way to get kids/teens interested in sexual health, if it actually is educational anyway.
It's just a shame that no school will agree to use it.

Indeed, because that would be the best school ever. >.>

... I .... I don't... even...

How am I supposed to react to this?

Should I laugh or cry or faceplam?

waaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrglf;jfdsln

[BSOD]
[REBOOTING... PLEASE WAIT...]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or