Dead Island Banned in Germany, But Nobody Cares

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dead Island Banned in Germany, But Nobody Cares

Dead Island has been banned in Germany and both the developer and the publisher have reacted with a yawn.

Germany has a well-deserved reputation for being a little on the uptight side when it comes to videogame regulation. Its "over the line and out the door" approach to game censorship can be awfully constricting; just ask Activision, which was forced to recall the German release of Wolfenstein in 2009 because of a single, errant and awfully hard-to-see swastika that made it into the game, thereby putting it in violation of the country's laws against Nazi-related symbols. But in a warped way, it can also be kind of liberating. If you know your game isn't going to make it under the wire anyway, you might as well just step right over it.

"This isn't unexpected. Germany has its unique regulations regarding videogames and violence and the industry can only comply," a rep from Techland, the studio that created the game, told Eurogamer. "Both Deep Silver and Techland were aware of such a possibility from the very beginning."

The game has been classified as "List B," described as "youth-endangering media," which means that it cannot be legally sold in Germany and that German customs will seize any imported copies they discover. The Koch Media Group, the parent company of Dead Island publisher Deep Silver, is actually a German company itself but said it didn't break any home town rules.

"We did not distribute or sell Dead Island in Germany", a Koch Media rep said. "The intention was to bring the game to the international markets, as the product seems to be better suitable for audiences abroad."

Once we deal with Australia I say we turn our sights to Germany and start pestering them to unclench their sphincter a bit. WWII was a long time ago, Germany, you can chill out and join the rest of us in our violence filled entertainment. We won't judge, honest.

Wow, can't even import. That is some bullshit, Germany. I can see prohibiting sales, but seize any imported copies of it is just ridiculous.

I feel sorry for German gamers, or at least the ones who want to play certain titles. You have my sympathies if you wanted to play this game, it was a good game.

Hmmm, thought they only ban sales of the game, Imports usally arn't touched if i recall as they'd have to open the package... and that a big no no from what ive gathered living here.(Germans love their privacy)

Oh well, looks like a steam gift from the uk then.

Edit for badly thought out gibberish !

OT: Arent they generally banned before thye are released? Or hasnt i been released there at all yet?

So that means even if a person orders the game from a website outside the country they will get it confiscated? I guess it's pretty easy to prove that you own the game since it would recorded on your XBL or PSN profile. Sucks for Germany [:(] When will people realise that not all games are for "youths"?

Baresark:
Wow, can't even import. That is some bullshit, Germany. I can see prohibiting sales, but seize any imported copies of it is just ridiculous.

I feel sorry for German gamers, or at least the ones who want to play certain titles. You have my sympathies if you wanted to play this game, it was a good game.

heh, tbh most of my co-workers tend to buy from the uk(Far cheaper, less crap translations) or Austria(German translation, no censor)

There are ways around this, and as i said in the post above, i cant see this not being importible as long as it clearly isnt 'Bought goods'

imnotparanoid:

OT: Arent they generally banned before thye are released? Or hasnt i been released there at all yet?

Its been out for months now, seen it in a local gamestop.

I am german, I'm close to my thirties now and I don't buy my games here.

It's just ridiculous. They're censored, like Bulletstorm which doesn't even have blood, not to mention any gore / dismemberment. They're indexed, like Dead Island now, which means it's illegal to advertise the game or have it sit on your shelf if you're a shop owner, rendering it nearly impossible to sell the game. And if neither of this is the case, you still pay about 50% more for your average game compared to just importing it from the UK.

As a grown up gamer, i say: If the country doesn't want my taxes from my game purchases and instead tries to dictate what I am allowed to see and what not, it might aswell fuck itself.

imnotparanoid:

Now you mention it, when the Germans play a ww2 game or watch a ww2 film, who do they want to win? I mena the nazis where shit, but it is their country!

Well, firstly, most of the time it's pretty obvious the allies are gonna win. You can't watch Saving Private Ryan and think 'I hope the Germans are gonna win!'.
Secondly, in my experience with German people (living 5km for the German border, Dutch myself, one of my best friends is German), they completely do not identify with the nazis. Germany during WWII is nearly always called 'Nazi Germany', not Germany.

huh. Never noticed this sort of thing when I was stationed there... pretty sure I bought Return to Castle Wolfenstein at a PX there in 2005 (yes, I buy a lot of games well past their prime)... I guess German customs doesn't get to look through AAFES stuff, huh?

I live and Germany. And to be honest:

I don't care anymore. I import my games, the only limits through platforms like Steam is that I can't buy this stuff from them, they don't care if I use a CD (especially funny is that they give you your money back if you buy I cut game from them and then replace the cut version with an uncut).

Also, improting from UK is cheaper than our brick&mortar stores. The only drawback is that I get my copy 1 day later and that I need to use other DD to get the DLC. Whoop-de-freakin-doo.

Censoring shit and treating adults like children is definitely the best way to deal with the country's fascist past, no doubt about it.

Danyal:

imnotparanoid:

Now you mention it, when the Germans play a ww2 game or watch a ww2 film, who do they want to win? I mena the nazis where shit, but it is their country!

Well, firstly, most of the time it's pretty obvious the allies are gonna win. You can't watch Saving Private Ryan and think 'I hope the Germans are gonna win!'.
Secondly, in my experience with German people (living 5km for the German border, Dutch myself, one of my best friends is German), they completely do not identify with the nazis. Germany during WWII is nearly always called 'Nazi Germany', not Germany.

Yeah I thought it would be like that for the second one.
Still I bet the nazis win in some films.
Like.
Um.
Huh I guess they dont.

i can see the guys on street corners now,

HEROINE! CRACK! WEED! DEAD ISLAND!

imnotparanoid:

Like.
Um.
Huh I guess they dont.

They don't.

i can see the guys on street corners now

HEROINE! CRACK! WEED! WOLFENSTEIN! DEAD ISLAND!

imnotparanoid:

Yeah I thought it would be like that for the second one.
Like.
Um.
Huh I guess they dont.

:)

saxxon.de:

imnotparanoid:

Like.
Um.
Huh I guess they dont.

They don't.

Sorry, but watch the post above this one ;)

Danyal:

imnotparanoid:

In the immortal words of that one guy from Captain America. "The first country the Nazis invaded was their own."

Huh, in their attempt to aggressively show how not-evil they are they are making themselves seem evil, don't get me wrong I love Germany to death, but their censorship laws seem... well... Nazi like

Edit: Also I can't believe Australia didn't ban this, considering how violently some of the characters oppose the Aboriginal/Australian racism, which is still prevalent in places

Alright, now something bugs me a little, and I have to get it off my chest.

Why is the Third Reich/Nazi Germany/Hitler pulled into this stuff every damn time?

Look guys, we have assholes in charge of this. They censor shit. And it sucks. And it has shit all to do with nazi Germany. Seriously, this isnt related in the slightest.

I really dont get it. Maybe I should start making elaborate posts about the Vietnam war every time an American politician calls for video game censorship.

KeyMaster45:
Once we deal with Australia I say we turn our sights to Germany and start pestering them to unclench their sphincter a bit. WWII was a long time ago, Germany, you can chill out and join the rest of us in our violence filled entertainment. We won't judge, honest.

A lot of people will, sadly.

Upon the mention of the word "Germany," way too many people tend to respond with "NAZIS NAZIS NAZIS NAZIS!!!!" Certainly happened to me enough times when I brought up the fact that I was studying German.

imnotparanoid:

KeyMaster45:

Are you really serious? Because if you are ,i am sorry but you are talking nonsense.
Nazi Germany doesn't equals Germany. Not a bit. Yes the land is the same, but that's like saying we should all hate jesus because we were part of the roman empire once.
And Yes, there are some people left who lived in that time, but they don't represent germany either.
Germany isn't Nazi Germany. Germany is the country with the weakest right wing in Europe. Germany is the country with the strictest laws against nationalism.
And No i am certainly not defending the stupidity of the German censorship.
I am sorry i have to say this, but the thought that Germans should vote for Nazis in Films or Games, is probably the dumbest thing i heard and very insulting too.
So please think about what you're saying before you make accusations.

Edit: I am Sorry if i am a little bit too harsh on this but i am just sick of hearing the word "NAZI" the very second the word "Germany" comes up.

Woodsey:
Censoring shit and treating adults like children is definitely the best way to deal with the country's fascist past, no doubt about it.

you forgot talking about that big no-no-history-thingy in history classes, geography classes, english classes, french classes, german classes, social sciences classes, again and again and again, then over and over and over and over, and then...

not censoring educational movies like indiana jones - because nazi-symbols are not forbidden to be shown when it's for educational purposes (no, i am dead serious. if fucking FSK (the censorship office, uh, i mean, the brave people that keep filthy, filthy media clean to protect poor little kids, had denied the educational aspect of intellectual movies like indiana jones it probably would'nt be on tv until this day. or evaaaarrr, for that matter. oh well.), but smashing games like Wolfenstein with the big bad banhammer also is totally coherent. and smart. and well thought-through. and stuff.
riiiiite...

now, as some indicated above, getting a banned game isn't that hard. customs don't keep a small dvd-sized and -shaped package that's sent, say, from the US, UK, Austria, Netherlands... you name it ^^
oh and someone said customs don't open packages... yes, they do, if the guy who gets his hands on it thinks it could be something suspicious. well ok, they don't open it, but you have to open it at customs for a nice guy working there so he can check its contents.
also, no one checks if that account you created for this digital distributor is phony or for real.

so, go censorship! treat adults like little children and tell them what to watch or what to play!

Well, they're not missing much really. Save up that cash and buy something better.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Upon the mention of the word "Germany," way too many people tend to respond with "NAZIS NAZIS NAZIS NAZIS!!!!" Certainly happened to me enough times when I brought up the fact that I was studying German.

This is exactly why I don't mention to people here that I'm originally from Germany. As soon as I do, they start the childish nonsense of spewing Nazi stuff, and all that crap. Really degrading.

No big deal about this though. It's a good game, but not worth something to whine over.

Amaror:

imnotparanoid:

KeyMaster45:

No I think I wrote that badly, I didnt mean nazis so much as Germany in particular, then I realised that they proberly agreed that the nazis sucked, but yeah sorry if I offended anyone XD
I really ought to stop writing the first thing that comes into my head!

It must feel pretty funny to know that 80 million people are legally banned from buying your game.

Couldn't German gamers just download Steam and claim they're Austrian? I can't see why it wouldn't work, I don't think Steam checks your location.

BlackStar42:
Couldn't German gamers just download Steam and claim they're Austrian? I can't see why it wouldn't work, I don't think Steam checks your location.

They just import it ... problem solved.
I don't really know if the article is right about the List B thing, but there are no controlls if you import from austria or Gb or somewhere else.

Oh well, it's not like they're missing out on anything special. To be honest, I don't think anybody in Germany cares either.

yeah buying games in Germany comes down to Steam on Sales and importing from the UK(which is not a proper import since the UK is part of the EU and thus are not checked)

and regarding the use if swastikas and such: they are banned for use, except for when you educate people or make movies or draw painting but for some reason games are not art enough

There seems to be a lot of ignorance in this thread. As far as if German's hope the Nazis win: You don't watch movie about native americans getting killed and then when they fight back say to yourself, "I sure do hope these idiotic, inbred useless backwoods illiterate hicks turn this around and win".

Also, the actions of a government should never be held against it's people. It's not their fault. Like all governments, the Nazis lied to the German people and then took over. As a matter of fact, it's seems pretty well known they didn't even achieve power by honest means. And just like the with the Nazis, we should not be confused that the majority of Germans even want these measures to be taken. Like most governments, they are going to do what they feel is best for their country, regardless of what people think.

KeyMaster45:

Our precious govt. disagrees and fears repercussions, if they allow such things ... And given that our glorious MoE isn't quite too bright either ... Well ... yeh ... that would end really bad.

Ruairi iliffe:
Hmmm, thought they only ban sales of the game, Imports usally arn't touched if i recall as they'd have to open the package... and that a big no no from what ive gathered living here.(Germans love their privacy)

Oh well, looks like a steam gift from the uk then.

Wrong. Ever since the whole nowadays-EU started, our govt. seems to love the idea of looking into all those precious private things we have just so they might find something bad ... Yeh, that's how it works -.-

Furioso:
Huh, in their attempt to aggressively show how not-evil they are they are making themselves seem evil, don't get me wrong I love Germany to death, but their censorship laws seem... well... Nazi like

Edit: Also I can't believe Australia didn't ban this, considering how violently some of the characters oppose the Aboriginal/Australian racism, which is still prevalent in places

Ahyup. Agreed, especially on the Australia part. This time around it's really only Germany getting insanely jizzed.

Now, before people jump me over me living in Germany ... I'm British. Don't you even dare!
And as for me and Dead Island ... Refused to buy it in the first place, because I see no point whatsoever in it ... Story was expected to be weak, ripping zombies apart is quite unlikely to pass in Germany (Go, L4D! -.-) ... So ... yeh ... No reason to buy it. And importing it? Seriously? ... Not worth the hassle.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here