Rumor: ICO Creator Has Left Sony

According to the latest rumblings of the rumor mill, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus creator Fumito Ueda has left Sony to pursue freelance work.

Don't panic, he's still going to finish The Last Guardian. According to Eurogamer, the 41-year-old developer is still working with Team ICO in a freelance capacity, but it's unclear, at this point, how much creative control of the project he's retained. Sony, as usual, is refusing to comment on the rumor.

Including the long-awaited The Last Guardian, Ueda has only worked on four games - acting as director/lead designer on all but one - during his fifteen year development career, all of which have had notoriously long and difficult development cycles. The Last Guardian was originally slated for a late 2011 release, but has since been delayed till sometime in 2012.

In the past, Ueda has mentioned that he's interested in developing a first person shooter once work on The Last Guardian has finished, citing Half Life 2 as a source of inspiration.

Source: Eurogamer

Well, I Wander if it's true..

Woah, woah, woah... woah! What?

Unclear how much creative control of the project he's retained? Okay, this is scaring the shit out of me. Is Ueda leaving because Sony is bogarding his project, because that's kinda the vibe I'm getting from this.

Sounds like he's fallen out of love with the project and his feet are just following where his mind has been for a while now. The man is a genius, so it will be interesting to see what the true follow up to SotC is now that I'm not sure TLG can truly hold that moniker.

Okay, this worries me.

I hope to [enter deity here] that TLG isn't compromised...

It's a rumour people.
90% of the time they are assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

If it's true, then I've lost my hope in the industry for reals this time.

I hope it's not true.

l3o2828:
It's a rumour people.
90% of the time they are assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

Weeelll, that is true for most of life, but for things like the game industry, it isn't all that uncommon for people to let certain details "slip" to raise awarness. Still agree that this probably isn't going to happen.

OT: An FPS? Really? Well, if he is inspired by HL2, then I can't really complain...

Its not like hes going out of the gameing business acording to this but it still stinks.

Casual Shinji:
Woah, woah, woah... woah! What?

Unclear how much creative control of the project he's retained? Okay, this is scaring the shit out of me. Is Ueda leaving because Sony is bogarding his project, because that's kinda the vibe I'm getting from this.

Sony has been letting him work on the same project for 4 years without rushing him and all the while knowing that it most like likely won't be a huge success. SoTC and ICO weren't big sellers.

inb4: Aaarrrgggghhh, he wants to make a shooter, everybody is doing shooters!

Edit: Dang, didn't see that I was ninja'd.

Fusioncode9:

Sony has been letting him work on the same project for 4 years without rushing him and all the while knowing that it most like likely won't be a huge success. SoTC and ICO weren't big sellers.

Companies might not see it that way, but just because those games weren't big sellers, doesn't mean they weren't a success. I've never played them but I know that they have at least cult classic status or even past that.

If you check out the Eurogamer article, its a translation problem. The rumour actually seems to posit that he's been working on it freelance for a year, which would put his time of leaving Sony square on the time he was showing the game off in TGS 2010. Much more likely that the phrasing came out as "he is working from a distant level to success to the completion" and Eurogamer mistranslated as it being him being distant from Sony.

That might explain all the delays. And wasn't the original planned shipping date way, way earlier than this year?
He's a good dev, and I very much look forward to him doing something different, like an FPS. Could be a lot of fun.

Even though this isn't real, the thing about the FPS is intruiging. I'd like to see Ueda try to do a japanese take on the FPS, although I can guarantee that people would say "Sony are forcing him to work on an FPS instead of doing what he wants".

Ya, pretty damn worried over here. Depending on how much control he lost, the game might fall apart. That would be a disaster with a game like The Last Guardian. If this is true, I hope some details were lost and I'm getting concerned over nothing.

Though on the other hand, with his resume and following Half Life 2 as an example, it might be one godly shooter. Might as well be a GOOD, creative, and unique shooter if he's going to follow such a stagnant genre.

Raggedstar:

Though on the other hand, with his resume and following Half Life 2 as an example, it might be one godly shooter. Might as well be a GOOD, creative, and unique shooter if he's going to follow such a stagnant genre.

A stagnant genre that draws lot's of money.
He probably wants to make a mainstream game he can retire on since he might not live long enough to see the completion of the project that follows.
Or maybe he just wants to buy a new car at some point.

Grey Carter:

According to the latest rumblings of the rumor mill, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus creator Fumito Ueda has left Sony to pursue freelance work.

Should probably update the story. It's confirmed.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39100/Confirmed_Ico_Creator_Fumito_Ueda_Leaves_Sony.php

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here