Brink Goes Free on Steam to Celebrate New Clan Site

Brink Goes Free on Steam to Celebrate New Clan Site

Splash Damage is giving Brink veterans some thank-you features, and greenhorns a reason to enlist.

With all the attention Bethesda is enjoying from Skyrim, it seems someone over there decided it's perfect timing to divert some of the spotlight to one of its less successful titles: Brink. Brink was released back in May to sales and reviews that could be most fairly described as, well, fair. Still, the first-person, Parkour-based shooter has maintained a decent community of players since launch, and its developer, Splash Damage, is looking to reward it while hopefully bringing in some new blood at the same time. To accomplish this, its brand new clan and tournament system has just gone live in tandem with a free extended weekend of play on Steam.

Splash Damage's new Clans and Tournaments site will allow groups within the Brink community to track stats and organize officially for the first time. According to its official blog, here are some of the features players can currently sign up to enjoy for free:

Create your own Brink clan, allowing you to manage everything from your name and logo to recruitment status, and your members.
If running your own clan isn't your thing, join an existing squad that's currently recruiting.
Fight for position on Brink's Global Clan Ladder by challenging other clans and defeating them in exciting clan matches.
Enter your clan into tournaments with unique rule sets and map rotations.

If you haven't taken the time to try the shooter yet, Splash Damage wants to earn your support by offering the entire game for free on Steam for four full days. The download went live today at 1:00 P.M. EST and will be available until 1:00 P.M. EST on Monday, December 5th. If you like it, you'll then have the option to purchase Brink for 75% off retail price.

Brink may not have created the same retail lines as other 2011 shooters, but instead of whining about it, Splash Damage has chosen to roll out new features, offer free play, and give potential gamers a sweet, sweet discount. You may not have liked Brink if you're someone who played it, but if you haven't, and were ever even sort of interested in doing so, you've officially lost your excuse not to try it.

Source: Eurogamer

If there are any veterans still playing Brink, they definitely deserve a thank-you.

Good for them, still not going to buy it, but good for them.

Damnit! Title said 'Free Game' text said 'For four days'.

I just want to see if my laptop can even consider playing this...

I'll have to try it. I thought it looked pretty fun in the trailers but it never really was on my radar.

And I still don't want to play it!

DVS BSTrD:
If there are any veterans still playing Brink, they definitely deserve a thank-you.

I still play. I love that damn game. I really don't see why many hate it, aside from the singleplayer being a cut-and-paste. It's got a fluid movement system, deep character customization, and a solid multiplayer community. Seriously, guys. Pick this one up.

You know, I have a strong feeling that if they did this for other games too (making clans and so forth) that becoming free will attract a whole load of people to try out the game thus when their new brand comes out... they have a legion of followers to purchase their game (if it was good to begin with.)

I'm happy for them honestly, but being a clan means you dedicate your time for them so in truth you got to be good within expectations so not very fun if the clan is to competitive.

Worth a shot I guess. If I like it even just a little a 75% discount isgreat.

Among the headlines below the article;

"Bethesda to release Brink ahead of schedule"

lol... Remember how many people thought that was a great idea? No wait, you don't have to remember, you can still go look!

OT: I wasn't interested when the trailer came out, as I saw a slew of things that weren't going to be in the game (well okay, maybe just one thing. Action rolls. Seriously, watch that trailer and count how many friggin' action rolls the characters do. You'd think with all that rolling around it'd be a key feature in the game... But there was no rolling was there? No. Sliding doesn't count). Anyways, after the reviews, the backlash from the community, and now this.. Even being free.. I'm still not interested. They seem desperate.

I think it is rather cool they are doing this, might get me playing again.

Hmm let me think about this, I want to start a new shooter and Brink free for 4 days, or I can play Team Fortress 2 which is free forever...decisions decisions.

Any game that locks the fps@30 can die in a horrible pit of fire. Despite the fact that Steam forums tend to be a whine den there is always truth in them. Will not try or buy.

Now in other new Terraria is 75% off as well.

I'm looking on Steam and I can't see free Brink.

edit - Oh I see it is only play the game for free for four days not get it for free for four days, won't be bothering with this then (for that reason and because I can't figure the download out.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Hmm let me think about this, I want to start a new shooter and Brink free for 4 days, or I can play Team Fortress 2 which is free forever...decisions decisions.

Team Fortress 2 is infinitely better than Brink could ever hope to be. Play it instead.

OP: I already own Brink for the 360, I'm not wasting my time on it for the PC. Worst I've ever been disappointed by a game (yeah, I know I'm spoiled.)

A fine game that's really hurt by some of the design decisions they made for the early game/learning curve. Also, they could have used a bunch more work on getting the flow-through of the maps right.

If you can get over those humps though, there's a great team game there, with a lot of depth for the hardcore. Clan support and rankings should have been day one parts of the product though, because that's where their niche really lies.

Vault Citizen:
I'm looking on Steam and I can't see free Brink.

edit - Oh I see it is only play the game for free for four days not get it for free for four days, won't be bothering with this then (for that reason and because I can't figure the download out.

It should be in your games list if not just quit and restart Steam. It will say Brink - X days left than you click install. Then you decide if you hate the game a lot or a little.

The biggest reason I never picked up it is the gameplay trailers looked dull to me. And than I read it was fps capped @30 and said fuck that.

Just bought it for $5. I doubt I'll be disappointed. I watched my roommate play it and it looked like it was passable at $10.

Thats not free....download it and in four days it says "buy it for 75% off" thats not free...its a free weekend. Fact Checker! Fact Checker! Get your Fact Checker here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTtCXVuu-8

It's not THAT bad of a game, I assume the lag problem is fixed by now. Multiplayer was fun, singleplayer was still rubbish though no denying that.

Yopaz:

You know, I've bought several games off Steam that I really enjoyed for five bucks or less. I'm not sure "It's only five bucks" would be enough for me if I liked it just a little.

Zachary Amaranth:

Yopaz:

You know, I've bought several games off Steam that I really enjoyed for five bucks or less. I'm not sure "It's only five bucks" would be enough for me if I liked it just a little.

If I pay 5 bucks for something and enjoy it for 2 hours that's still a better value than I get from most movies.

Akyho:
Thats not free....download it and in four days it says "buy it for 75% off" thats not free...its a free weekend. Fact Checker! Fact Checker! Get your Fact Checker here!

Read the article before complaining.

DVS BSTrD:

You're welcome.
I love this game, if you haven't tried it give the free weekend a go, and if you like it, buy it, please.

Akyho:

Since you can't read, I'll explain this to you.
Steam free weekends allow you to play the game for free for the weekend, you don't get it for free for good.
If you like it, the game is always on sale, so you can pick it up.

So they didn't count their losses and admit it was a failure?

I bought Brink on day 1,
Tried TF2 when it went F2P,
Loved the former, quickly stopped playing the latter.
Can't shake the feeling that something's wrong with me.

I tried to like Brink, I really did. And I'd like to see more games like it, but the lag issue took so long to fix that I was essentially playing a game that was so fundamentally flawed that it wasn't worth it to me.

Haven't touched it since. I think I did download the free DLC though.

I would've loved that game so much more if they'd not gone down the route of making AI team mates stupid so as not to "steal your glory." Also the lack of any Australian players/servers is a problem.

TLS14:

DVS BSTrD:

I still play. I love that damn game. I really don't see why many hate it, aside from the singleplayer being a cut-and-paste. It's got a fluid movement system, deep character customization, and a solid multiplayer community. Seriously, guys. Pick this one up.

I've played it intensively for a few weeks with my mates but... It's just so.. So.. People think 'CoD' kill kill kill kill and not capping objectives. The overal attitude is just horrible. Everyone picks a heavy type and noone freeruns. The entire thought of the game is destroyed and noone, -noone- is going after the objectives.

It's sad though. The concept was good (the singleplayer as something I -did not- expetced. I expected a single play story a la mirrors edge but with guns. ) but the execution & player attitude wasn't exactly

SL33TBL1ND:
I would've loved that game so much more if they'd not gone down the route of making AI team mates stupid so as not to "steal your glory."

Friggin' ninja'd.

This. Exactly this. See, the game was fun. It reminded of Killzone a bit and I liked the character customization. The missions were fun and the multiplayer was cool. But the AI! Oh, gods, THE FREAKIN' AI!! As you reach the end of the Campaing mode, it is almost next to impossible to finish a mission because of the stupid AI. You can't rely on Medics to save you because they'll die first before they can even reach you, you can't rely on soldiers to do their tank job, you can't rely on engineers because they just won't fix stuff; they would rather kill every.single.enemy first. And they don't even do that right! Same goes for hackers.

I think this was the major drawback. That and maybe the plot's execution. But come on, if we're playing FPS, we shouldn't expect a heart wrenching drama. So alright, that one doesn't count as much. Other than that, the game is decent. I mean, don't expect it to be CoD or even Killzone. It's okay. But the AI made me return the game faster than you can say Chick-a-fill. So even if the game itself was offered with no cost forever and ever, I would think twice about buying.

...Well, actually, if it was free, I might take it. Just because it's free. I would play it every now and then. Just like I do with DCUO. But other than that, no thanks.

Ruwrak:

TLS14:

DVS BSTrD:

I've played it intensively for a few weeks with my mates but... It's just so.. So.. People think 'CoD' kill kill kill kill and not capping objectives. The overal attitude is just horrible. Everyone picks a heavy type and noone freeruns. The entire thought of the game is destroyed and noone, -noone- is going after the objectives.

It's sad though. The concept was good (the singleplayer as something I -did not- expetced. I expected a single play story a la mirrors edge but with guns. ) but the execution & player attitude wasn't exactly

Well, today's FPS fans typically are the CoD lovers. Hell, even CoD has objectives, though no one follows them. It's not hard to just work as a team and try to get this shit accomplished for the sake of a victory.

I definitely agree with you about the freerunning, though. Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games on my PS3 and the similarity between the two's parkour mechanics is absolutely stunning. It's the primary reason I exclusively play a light type.

My only three complaints about the game are that the single player should have had a deeper story, the objectives should have been more than just "stand here, hold a button, wait for loading bar to finish" and that character customization should have included a female option.

I'd probably give the game a 7 or 8 out of 10, if I were to properly review it.

TLS14:
Snipperty snip snip

Sorry I have to disagree here. True in Search and Destroy or Bomb people do go for the kills to end the round quickly, it is sad that objective gameplay is dominated by Team Deathmatchers who come over to get some tags and then leave again. The thing about Brink is, everyone is fighting and I'm the only one capping objectives (or so I find myself doing that really often). I get mauled down in one shot (I know, game balance, you picked thelight class and that is it's weakness.) I can live with that. The thing is. Everyone is a heavy with a machine gun and is fighting in the one tight corridor there is. The game comes to a halt, literally. Noone advances or retreats or does anything else.

I'm giving it a 4 / 10. Sorry it's not my type of game (in the execution at least. I really loved Mirros Edge with all its faults and so on) so I might be biased. But the Singleplayer just blew me away, in the bad way. I did not expect to find the multiplayer as basis for the singleplayer. The general attitude of the game is not fun (singleplayer that is), the mechanics are not implented in a fun way, it's a clumsy mess that should have been implented differently.

But that's my opinion o fcourse ;3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here