Death Star Trench Run Recreated in Minecraft

Death Star Trench Run Recreated in Minecraft

Fans of Star Wars lovingly assembled a video recreating Luke Skywalker's amazing feat. Stay on target!

Even if you loathe anything that's emerged from Lucasfilm in the last fifteen years, you have to admit that the climax of the first Star Wars film is a great moment. There's something just well-crafted about the tense flight through the trench leading up to Han Solo's redemption and Luke's final shots which set of the chain-reaction that destroys the Death Star. We've featured things recreated in the sandbox of Minecraft before, but a near shot-for-shot recreation of an entire scene rendered in blocky goodness? That makes YouTube poster ParadiseDecay's video all the more exceptional.

I love the video's use of sound from the original spliced with voiceover work from the creators. The mix delivers an authentic feel while accentuating the care taken to craft such a detailed video. The explosion of the Death Star was a little lackluster - I would have liked to see more of a boom, honestly - but the whole piece is just made of pure (and I don't use this term lightly) awesome-sauce.

If you're interested in how ParadiseDecay and his team made the nearly 5 minute video, check out the "Making of" video below:

Vader: THATS THE LAST TIME WE MAKE THE ESSENTIAL PARTS FOR THE DEATH STAR FROM TNT BLOCKS!

Serious now, thats was pretty good.

The force is strong with this one.

One small thing, clouds. Could have turned them off in options...

Anyways, awesome as all hell. Really, really cool.

One more small thing, they should have found a way to speed up camera movement or just sped up the video, because it looked as if they were riding slow-ass donkeys, and not flying X-Wings through that trench.

That looks...awful to be honest. I had no idea what was happening other than some grey and black blocks.

Nicely done. I thought they were going to do stop motion and simply animate the scene, which, while it would have been very impressive for the sheer amount of work it'd need, isn't as elegant as being able to tell the story through a static model set and careful recording/editing.

However, I do wish they'd made the death star facing the ground and put some lava-chunks with piston controls in it, just to get the look of the laser warming up before they blow the thing sky high.

Appleshampoo:
That looks...awful to be honest. I had no idea what was happening other than some grey and black blocks.

Welcome to minecraft. Have a cookie....

CAPTCHA: Considerably plunte

*puts on monocle... yes quite considerably....

That was awesome.

I just have to put up one of the comments from that video:

"@xAztec92 Sweet coping mechanism for the fact that you will never accomplish something as amazing as this. Enjoy that... "social" life of yours."
- ErikRAWR

Guest starring skeleton archer and zombie as confused and recently spaced combatants.

But seriously, a lot of work. Good show.:)

While I believe the video could have been executed better its still pretty good.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here