Modern Bard Performs Skyrim's "The Dragonborn Comes"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Modern Bard Performs Skyrim's "The Dragonborn Comes"

She may not be shouting, but this girl's Voice may still knock you backward.

If you've ever bought mead in a Skyrim inn, you've probably heard "The Dragonborn Comes," a stilted lute tune seemingly adored by near all unemployed crooners and wayward tavern drunkards across the province. The song tells the story of a mystical hero with a warrior's heart and a Voice that's so special it's a proper noun. While the pub renditions of "Dragonborn" oddly seem to only be sung by choristers with less musical prowess than a drowning Argonian (which, for the lizard people of the Black Marsh, has got to be some pretty impressive drowning), YouTube user malufenix has leant some legitimate harmonic stylings to the tune for a more modern, pleasing interpretation of the canticle.

Let's sing along, shall we? Dibs on the baritone.

Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior's heart
I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes
With a Voice wielding power of the ancient Nord art
Believe, believe, the Dragonborn comes
It's an end to the evil, of all Skyrim's foes
Beware, beware, the Dragonborn comes
For the darkness has passed, and the legend yet grows
You'll know, You'll know the Dragonborn's come

People of Skyrim sing this song because they know in their meaty, Nordic hearts that Dovakhiin is on his or her way. Now that moderns have got the urge to belt the notes, does that mean we can expect a helmeted hero of our own soon? It could be any one of us. Perhaps it's best if we all just stand in front of our pets screaming "Fus Ro Da!" until one flies off the kitchen counter and we find out who it is.

I just got linked this from a friend. This is all kinds of epic.

Nice talent, yet it is sad that she resorted to auto-tune. That invalidates her skills.

I used to be the Dragonborn, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I wonder if Miracle would consider a collaboration?

Drago-Morph:

I use to take arrows to the knee, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

OT: Too much autotune.

Don't really like her adding her own stuff. First time I heard the song was an amazing moment in game. Found some traveling bard, he was searching for stories, and he sang that song for me. And it was beautiful. But yeah, she did a great job with the actual song.

Daystar Clarion:

I use to take arrows to the knee, even after I took that arrow to the knee... but then i took a sword to the chest.

OT: Would be nice to hear her real voice.. still not too bad.

autotune or not, this sounds great

Fantastic rendition.
Gave me chills.

JaredXE:
Nice talent, yet it is sad that she resorted to auto-tune. That invalidates her skills.

Where is this auto tune? I've listened to this a few times now, and I don't hear it.
Reverb, sure. But Auto tune? Where?

Saw this on Twitter an hour or so ago, been listening to it over and over ever since! Fantastic work and beautiful voice!
The video description also states that a fan made a Skyrim mod to put her music on the main menu instead of the original!

JaredXE:

Dont hear any Auto-tune, I hear some reverb and effects in there to make it sound epic but no auto-tune, there is a difference between effects and auto tune y'know...

Wow, that was amazing! Love the dragon talk at the end

This needs more Nordic metal. Id love to see a cover by Emperor, or maybe Dimmu Borgir.

But shes pretty decent.

I used to be able to sing songs like this... Till I took a arrow to the knee...

But, seriously, AMAZING. Watched it too many times now...

Baby Tea:
Fantastic rendition.
Gave me chills.

JaredXE:

Where is this auto tune? I've listened to this a few times now, and I don't hear it.

Exactly, that was perfectly legitimate human falsettos, if this guy hears autotune in this song then he's got one of those Deus Ex implants. Nerve of some people...

Anyway.

Being a musician for over two decades and a producer/engineer for one, it's impressive to see such a basic performance send shivers down my spine and make me well up in tears! Got damn, she put soul into this!

MOAR

Daystar Clarion:

Drago-Morph:

I used to take arrows to the knee, but then I took a mace to the face...

OT: The girl looks high... also, auto tuned FTL.

This is the most amazing fan response to Skyrim I've seen yet.

Who is this girl? Why is Bethesda not hiring her ASAP?

Can we get married please? I have an Amulet of Mara!

Maybe I'm the Dragonborn...

JaredXE:

And you can tell because of the pixels, right?

Proof or GTFO.

I can't hear a trace of auto-tune. In fact, I'd say her recital of the dragon chorus is very appropriately imperfect.
Do people interpret any kind of effect applied to a recording as auto-tune all of a sudden?

So... First time I shed a tear when I listening to a song... That was fucking beautiful.

Damn she can sing. I'd like to see her do some collaborations with Blind Guardian, get this modern bard to play with the bards of metal

Baby Tea:

It's not just the T-Pain thing you know?
With auto tune you can modify the key you sing in to the music, if you can't do it naturally.

It's a pretty harsh guess though.

It's a nice song, regardless of auto tune or not.

I don't play Skyrim and I loved this :)
She's good looking, she has a good voice and... ... ...
Can't come up with an and -.-

Lyri:
It's not just the T-Pain thing you know?
With auto tune you can modify the key you sing in to the music, if you can't do it naturally.

It's a pretty harsh guess though.

It's a nice song, regardless of auto tune or not.

Daystar Clarion:
OT: Too much autotune.

Do you know what autotune is? There's ZERO autotune used. Chorus and reverb, yes, but autotune, no. She's recording her acoustic guitar through the mic as well. This is all voice and talent.

All this talk of auto-tune makes me demand a T-Pain version of this song.

Also, it won't take long for more of these to crop up, and then someone will mod them into the taverns.

edit: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2364 ah, that didn't take long at all.

JaredXE:

...that's not autotune. That has as much relation to autotune as Normandy by Miracle of Sound. And he HATES autotune.

OH GOD THAT WAS SO EPIC WHEN SHE STARTED SINGING THE SONG IN DRAGONISH AND I'M PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE HERE SAD ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO SING ALONG!

...There definitely isn't any Autotune. I don't know where you guys are getting this, but some people just have naturally good voices. Shocker, I know.

If the Dovahkiin were to appear in real life, he or she would certainly be a guest of one of our fine Correctional Facilities.

OT: Holy Crap

Baby Tea:
Fantastic rendition.
Gave me chills.

JaredXE:

i know, i cant hear it either. just the reverb.
which makes it better.

I pick up no autotune and yes, I know what subtle autotune sounds like. Reverb is a fair bit different from autotune folks, and there is indeed plenty of that.

Would it matter? Even if she used it a little (I honestly cannot pick it up if she did) it's still a better recording than most of you folks would hope to make.

kouriichi:
This needs more Nordic metal. Id love to see a cover by Emperor, or maybe Dimmu Borgir.

But shes pretty decent.

No, you simpleton boob! BLIND GUARDIAN!!!

Ooo, gave me goosebumps. How beautiful. Someone needs to mod this version into the game for the bards to sing.

Mike Kayatta:
Perhaps it's best if we all just stand in front of our pets screaming "Fus Ro Da!" until one flies off the kitchen counter and we find out who it is.

Excuse me while I just go and try this!

As stated before, not hearing auto tune, just a boat load of reverb.

This is actually really good. Awesome harmonies.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here