Xenoblade Chronicles Coming to America

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xenoblade Chronicles Coming to America

Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii will finally get a limited American release in April 2012.

Until today, Xenoblade Chronicles was part of an elite trio of JRPGs which have been denied American releases despite enjoying critical success in other parts of the Western world. Now, after months of campaigning from vocal fan group Operation Rainfall, Nintendo has announced an April 2012 release for Xenoblade Chronicles.

Developed by first-party Nintendo studio Monolith Soft, Xenoblade Chronicles was released in Japan in June 2010 and in Europe and Australia just over a year later. At the time, Nintendo of America (NAO) CEO Reggie Fils-Aime, prompted by the floods of emails, Tweets and letters sent his way by Operation Rainfall, wouldn't comment on the prospect of a US release beyond saying that NOA would pay close attention to the game's performance in Europe.

The game will come with a $49.99 price tag and will only be available from GameStop locations and NOA's own website. While GameStop's website has the game listed for release on 2 April 2012, no official announcement regarding the launch date has yet been made.

Given this success, many American JRPG-watchers will now be wondering if the chances of US releases for the remaining two games targeted by Operation Rainfall, namely The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, have improved at all. Operation Rainfall is still alive and campaigning; if you're inclined to do so, you can give it a hand on its Facebook page or by visiting its blog.

Source: Gamasutra

Seriously, this is so much win! I might actually dust my Wii off again after Skyward Sword now!

I'm not sure what it is...but I want it

I am still clueless as to why it never got released in the USA.

4RM3D:

Maybe Nintendo doesn't like money?....hah!

OT: Heard good things about this game....it's on my Christmas list and getting it then...so I'll have too wait until then too see. xD

This really feels like a victory. This proves that, as a fan, you CAN get shit done if you have enough commitment and like-minded people.

Well, I've heard it's quite simply one of the best JRPGs of this generation, so congratulations to the Americans (I really should play it myself, but my Dad said he was going to buy it for my birthday and I haven't seen him since, so I haven't had the chance).

I, for one, is happy that you are finally getting that game!
Coming from a guy who doesn't play Jrpg too often, the game is bloody fantastic (my top game of this year) which I know for sure that you will love it and be thankful for them to finally release it over there!

April, huh? I share a Wii with my sister (and we live about 250 miles apart), so I'll have to entice her to do something else that month.

Or maybe I'll just let her play the darned game first. Either/or.

therandombear:

4RM3D:

Maybe Nintendo doesn't like money?....hah!

OT: Heard good things about this game....it's on my Christmas list and getting it then...so I'll have too wait until then too see. xD

More like Nintendo was probably expecting the current fanbase for the Wii would eagerly spend even more money to upgrade to the new fancy ugly controller and its console.
At some point, I'm guessing a speck of Common Sense got lodged in one of the bigwigs throats, he coughed, and realized "Hey, if we spit on the core gaming crowd, there isn't going to be anyone supporting the console right off the bat! Maybe we actually should release these high-profile, big-name games to the countries where its practically guaranteed to sell better than it did here (most 3rd party "core" wii games sold a hell of a lot better outside of JP). That way they might just consider buying the Weee-oooooh!".

I went on Nintendo's official site and looked up Xenoblade in the search box...and got nothing at all!

What, are they not allowing us Canadians to order it from them?

EDIT: WAIT! Nevermind, found it on their store site....

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAW.

Seriously, though, this is wonderful news.

This is GREAT news!

But here comes the moment of truth, fellow gamers. We said we wanted it, we petitioned, complained, wrote on blogs and forums... but now that the game is coming, we gotta make good on those promises.

BUY THIS GAME.

It's worth owning a Wii for. If you have a Wii, it's a no-brainer. Buy it. If you know someone with a Wii, tell them to get it or buy it for them as a gift.

Still, fantastic news... but I'm still wanting Pandora's Tower and The Last Story to hit our shores too.

Meh. Myself being an Australian I am not really that affected by this. It is good news for the americans... I think they need some with SOPA and PROTECT-IP set to make their nation look like a collection of assholes....

This and the localization of FF Type-0 please me greatly, a wonderful week for announcements.

Although this USA only and "Fuck Canada" is quite retarded, but we got gamestop up here. I'm pretty sure EB will get it as well and if not, a quick trip to Amazon/Ebay mends this stupid issue.

Now here is hoping Last Story and Pandoras Tower follow close behind.

well it's about bloody time

All that needs to be said I think

ZehMadScientist:
This really feels like a victory. This proves that, as a fan, you CAN get shit done if you have enough commitment and like-minded people.

Yeah, it'll only come about two years later when a good number of people who wanted it will have already found means to play it. But, the system works!

Mother 3 next.

I AM SOO EXCITED... I ran around my dorm screaming. This is going to be bigger then my Skyrim. I am just stocked :)

now we just need last story and pandora's tower. hopefully after xenoblade sells and forces NoA to eat their own idiocy, they'll release those as well.

Finally, something not stupid. As a European I've had access to Xenoblade already, but good for all you yankees!

Only available at Gamestop or NOA's website? I hope this crap doesn't become common. You know what's worse the retailer exclusive DLC? Retailer exclusive games!

Oh and I don't ever want to hear Nintendo whining about used games if they are offering retailer exclusive deals to Gamestop.

The sad part is, Operation Rainfail will probably try to take credit for this, even though they didn't really do a damn thing that was useful. I mean, really, I'm sure Square Enix appreciates all the money they got from those guys buying copies of Final Fantasy, but how they thought that would convince Nintendo to do anything, I have no idea. But it's quite clear to me that Operation Rainfail had nothing to do with this decision.

Also, I wonder how many people are going to actually buy it now. All anyone ever said about this game is that they were mad that they couldn't buy it. This very article is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention more than that. I can easily see many of the people raging about not getting this game not actually buying it once it hits US shelves. Sure, I know some will buy it, but I bet others were in it just to have something to rage at.

Is easy to trick your wii into reading european games (i know i did) i played some japanese games in it too.

Hey, a Wii game I want to play. Haven't had one of those in a while (Skyward Sword being the most recent, but I gave up on playing that a long time ago when Wii Motion Plus was announced as being mandatory to play it, because I refuse to fork over money for a peripheral for a system that Nintendo's all but abandoned).

mjc0961:
The sad part is, Operation Rainfail will probably try to take credit for this, even though they didn't really do a damn thing that was useful. I mean, really, I'm sure Square Enix appreciates all the money they got from those guys buying copies of Final Fantasy, but how they thought that would convince Nintendo to do anything, I have no idea. But it's quite clear to me that Operation Rainfail had nothing to do with this decision.

Also, I wonder how many people are going to actually buy it now. All anyone ever said about this game is that they were mad that they couldn't buy it. This very article is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention more than that. I can easily see many of the people raging about not getting this game not actually buying it once it hits US shelves. Sure, I know some will buy it, but I bet others were in it just to have something to rage at.

Well, bah humbug to you too, Mr. Scrooge.

I was one of those people involved in Operation Rainfall. I printed off posters and advertised these games at my local Gamestop store (and they were okay with me doing so). I sent letters to Nintendo President Reggie, wrote e-mails to Nintendo, made phone calls to their representatives, wrote them on Twitter and facebook, and pre-ordered the game from Amazon when it was available.

And several thousand other people did as well.

I damn well WILL buy it. If you have a Wii, I encourage you to buy it too (it's a fantastic game!). If you know someone with a Wii, get them to buy it, or be a good soul and buy it for them as a gift.

Will there be some people who said they wanted it and then won't buy it? Sure. There are always those sour seeds. But I know I, for one, am pre-ordering this the instant the 19th rolls around on the Nintendo Store and I eagerly await playing and enjoying one of the greatest RPGs of this generation.

As a Brit who has played and loved Xenoblade I'm delighted to see this is getting a US release, gratz to all you american gamers who have been badgering NoA.

As an American who has played this game, this is fantastic.

Here is the part that I do not get: I ordered the EU version off of Ebay and softmodded my Wii just to play it. The thing is, IT IS LOCALIZED TO ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES ALREADY! There is no reason to not just release it, as is, for the American audience. Trust me, it's ok that everyone has a British accent in it, I'm ok with that. I would guess that every other gamer would be.

mjc0961:

You can't say they are solely responsible, but to assume they are not due any credit at all is just plain wrong. It was Operation Rainfall that showed that there is demand for a game that American's would otherwise not heard of at all. And it's a fantastic game to boot, not just another JRPG.

Well I vowed if this game ever made it to US soil, I'd buy it out of principal alone. I guess when the official announcement comes up, I'm hopping over to GameStop to place a pre-order.

Smells fishy that it is an GameStop exclusive. I am sure there is other stores that would benefit from selling it. Ah well, congrats to those that wanted the game released!

Eclpsedragon:
Well I vowed if this game ever made it to US soil, I'd buy it out of principal alone. I guess when the official announcement comes up, I'm hopping over to GameStop to place a pre-order.

You can pre-order it right now as long as you can access the website or you have a local store somewhere.

As for me. Dammnit, I guess I have to sell my soul to buy the game; but its Xenoblade Chronicles, so it's TOTALLY. FUCKING. WORTH IT.

At GameStop. Oh, no... It was almost completely good news.

megaman24681012:

Eclpsedragon:

You can pre-order it right now as long as you can access the website or you have a local store somewhere.

As for me. Dammnit, I guess I have to sell my soul to buy the game; but its Xenoblade Chronicles, so it's TOTALLY. FUCKING. WORTH IT.

Are human souls only running for $49.99 these days?
Here I was thinking the economy was getting better... surely you only need to sell a portion of your soul, not the whole thing.

But thanks for informing me that it's already up for pre-order, GameStop is conveniently on my way to work.

Dammit, Nintendo, first Skyward Sword, now this. I don't want to buy a Wii six months before they replace it!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here