Miyamoto is Not Stepping Down

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Miyamoto is Not Stepping Down

Nintendo wizard Shigeru Miyamoto is not retiring after all.

The news from Nintendo was big last night: Shigeru Miyamoto is retiring! Sort of. The statement was actually a little ambiguous; Miyamoto told Wired that he'd been telling people in his office that he's going to retire, although not within any particular time frame and not in such a way that would actually lead to, you know, retirement. "I'm not saying that I'm going to retire from game development altogether," he said. "What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position" in order to focus on making games and bringing along the next generation of developers. But - and this will come as a big surprise, I'm sure - all the world heard was, Miyamoto is retiring!

Well, no. Nintendo has since made a point of denying that Miyamoto is leaving his position as Senior Managing Director and General Manager of Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis and Development Division. "This is absolutely not true," the company told Reuters Japan. "There seems to have been a misunderstanding. [Miyamoto] has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation. He has no intention of stepping down."

Further clarification came in a statement issued this morning. "Video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto's role at Nintendo is not changing. He will continue to be a driving force in Nintendo's development efforts," it said. "In discussing his priorities at Nintendo in a media interview, Mr. Miyamoto explained how he is encouraging the younger developers at the company to take more initiative and responsibility for developing software. He attempted to convey his priorities moving forward, inclusive of overseeing all video game development and ensuring the quality of all products. Mr. Miyamoto also discussed his desire to pursue fresh ideas and experiences of the kind that sparked his initial interest in video games."

Something lost in translation, then? That's always a possibility with interviews like this. There's no question that the loss of Miyamoto would be a serious blow to Nintendo, a fact illustrated by the two percent tumble Nintendo's share price took in Japan immediately following the story. That's a pretty good reason for all this clarifying, and a pretty bad sign for what Nintendo is up against when Miyamoto's real retirement finally comes.

Source: IGN

He should have said he was prestiging, that's what it sounds like. Lol.

Well that's good news I guess. Kind of feel bad for Wired though.

I can see someone getting a disciplinary notice over at Wired for this mixup.

So Miyamoto is retiring, then? Because all I got from the article was:

Andy Chalk:
Miyamoto is retiring!

>.>

Kind of like that mixup where everyone thought Sakaguchi was retiring after The Last Story.

proving once again that Nintendo's investors are morons. And that too many gaming journalists lack properly journalistic skills.

The escapist headline bar is now extremely confusing. There's an article that says "Miyamoto is retiring!" and then next to it an article that says "Miyamoto is not retiring!". lol.

So does retire just not mean the same thing in Japanese?

so wait, he is retiring, but not really retiring. but now it turns out that his sort-of retiring is not really happening?

So nothing changes? >.>

Wow, it's one thing to say figuring out Zelda continuity was weird...

randomguy425:
so wait, he is retiring, but not really retiring. but now it turns out that his sort-of retiring is not really happening?

So nothing changes? >.>

He was retiring, then Nintendo saw that shit started hitting the fan at that, so they're scrambling to undo the damage. His plans are staying the same (having more direct effect on the younger developers), Nintendo are just getting getting rid of the whole retiring-to-remove-a-barrier thing.

So yes, nothing changes :D

I still hope this means less of a burden placed on him and his projects.
Nintendo very badly needs some new blood in their lineup, and a less restricted Miyamoto working with younger developers in a sort of training think-tank could help everyone involved at the company.

Inception failed to take root. Back to plan B.

Geez I thought people understood he wasn't fully retiring at all (just stepping down his current position) the first time round but yet again I didn't read everyone comment from the first news.

Hey guys, did you hear that Miyamoto is not retiring?

Andy Chalk:

Time to bombard Nintendo with letters demanding they keep him.

SnootyEnglishman:
I can see someone getting a disciplinary notice over at Wired for this mixup.

Er no. The original headline was a bit ambiguous (which is why people thought he was retiring) so it was changed. Just another case of people not being able to read on the Internet.

He's stepping down! Wait, he's not! He's stepping down! Wait, there he is again!

Perhaps this is all a complex ad for a new Wii game: Whack-a-Miyamoto.

Didnt care either way. Never liked any of the games he made anyway. Although once he goes, Nintendo is screwed as he is the only one that makes games worth playing on Nintendo platforms.

Didn't you...isn't there...you know, already an article explaining this?

Wasn't he making a game based on swimming, whats the situation with that, is it happening?

Andy Chalk:

Yes, I certainly did not not hear that!

Richardplex:

randomguy425:

So nothing changes? >.>

He was retiring, then Nintendo saw that shit started hitting the fan at that, so they're scrambling to undo the damage. His plans are staying the same (having more direct effect on the younger developers), Nintendo are just getting getting rid of the whole retiring-to-remove-a-barrier thing.

So yes, nothing changes :D

Yep, that's my take on it too. Nothing really changes on the inside, but investors probably started crapping themselves at the news and this is just a rewording enforced by Nintendo so their stocks don't tank even further than they have the in recent times.

my evil plan is working! everyone is confused!
Muhahahahahahahahahaha!

Is he or isn't he? Why won't they tell us? Why must they toy with our emotions? Is it a secret or something?

Oh.

Atmos Duality:
I still hope this means less of a burden placed on him and his projects.
Nintendo very badly needs some new blood in their lineup, and a less restricted Miyamoto working with younger developers in a sort of training think-tank could help everyone involved at the company.

I get that it's not bad to have a role model to aspire to, but if a game company finds this much importance in just one employee, that any potential for greatness falls apart upon his retirement, then it reflects bad management. Perhaps it's his fault for making Nintendo this way, maybe he hasn't produced a lot of recognizable names in the company and/or that he hasn't let new developers or figures gain any recognition, maybe it's stockholder pressure that kept him from doing any sort of shift at all.

Whatever the case, whatever good he's done for the game industry I'm certain someone else could do just as well, if not better. It's just that too many of the industry's patrons and participants are so narrow minded we keep eating the same crap over and over.

Also,
*hugs your avatar*

Grenge Di Origin:

Whatever the case, whatever good he's done for the game industry I'm certain someone else could do just as well, if not better. It's just that too many of the industry's patrons and participants are so narrow minded we keep eating the same crap over and over.

I agree with that, but I think he's a strong model for the next generation, insofar as how to actually work in this industry. Creativity is, by its nature, a more limited resource than labor, especially in a creative medium.

By that, I mean that we shouldn't fear his involvement in training the next generation; they will come into their own in time...assuming Nintendo gets off this binge of cannibalizing all of Miyamoto's works year after year; decade after bloody decade.

You can see glimmers of creativity in some of Nintendo's works; it's just that they get buried in the dross of overdone franchises.

Also,
*hugs your avatar*

Good ol' Intet. Still haven't found a better dragon pic yet, and I can't draw or sketch for shit.

Andy Chalk:

I'll get the cake if you get the gold watch.

It is my actual belief that Shigeru Miyamoto is the greatest man in the video game industry.

It'd be a shame, an awful shame to lose him. Though I wouldn't want him to force himself to work if he was tired of it.

Oh my, a lot of flip-flopping in the news today. Great news though, even though the prospect of Miyamoto doing a new franchise was exciting.
You've gotta wonder though how much of this is cuz of the stock drop.

Does anybody else think that with the magic of the internet, we might be ingesting news a touch too fast? Say, before we fully understand what we're talking about?

We all know 70 years from now Miyamoto will still be working for Nintendo....

You see, Miyamoto is never gonna retire. Because he has found the secret to immortality.

Well I for one am glad. After all, he is behind a ton of Nintendo's best products and even though I haven't bought anything Nintendo for years, I would still like to see him with power. Just look at that picture, he knows he's badass.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here