New Transformers Game Comes Over All Emotive

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Transformers Game Comes Over All Emotive

Is it possible to add emotional weight to a robot dinosaur? The new Transformers game thinks it is.

The new trailer for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - the sequel to last year's War for Cybertron - has pulled a "Gears of War" and set its new trailer to sad music - presumably in an effort to add more gravitas to its story of giant robots punching each other in the face.

Of course, the trailer - which devotes a significant portion of its runtime to Optimus Prime carrying an injured Bumblebee in his powerful truck-like arms - rather undermines its raw emotive power by introducing fan favorite Dinobot Grimlock at the end. It's hard to convey the horrors of an eons long war when you have a fire-breathing dinosaur roaming around, proclaiming himself to be "king." Also featured in the trailer is Bruticus, the gestalt form of the Combaticons, as well as old hands like Megatron, Ironhide, and Starscream.

All joking aside, the trailer looks very pretty, especially as the robot designs are easier on the eye than the ever-so-busy "Bayformers," but it's all cinematics so it tells us exactly nothing about the actual game. Still, if someone wants to make an animated Transformers movie that looks like that, I wouldn't complain. Just get someone other than Maynard James Keenan to do the soundtrack, ok?

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is scheduled for release on PS3 and Xbox 360 in late 2012.

Source: Game Trailers

I agree on the designs, I would much rather view an hour and a half CGI film of Transformers based on these designs than another Bayformer flick.

Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.

I enjoyed War for Cybertron, so I'm mildly excited for this. I . . . like the song, but I'm not sure it was the right choice for that trailer? If there had been less crazy explosions and more slow-motion Transformer deaths, maybe. And the lack of a dinosaur shooting fire at the camera at the end.

No PC release, though? That makes me sad.

shrekfan246:
I enjoyed War for Cybertron, so I'm mildly excited for this. I . . . like the song, but I'm not sure it was the right choice for that trailer? If there had been less crazy explosions and more slow-motion Transformer deaths, maybe. And the lack of a dinosaur shooting fire at the camera at the end.

No PC release, though? That makes me sad.

Metacritic appears to believe otherwise.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/transformers-fall-of-cybertron
Still, looks quite pretty, much more eye pleasure than bayformers.

White-Death:

Metacritic appears to believe otherwise.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/transformers-fall-of-cybertron
Still, looks quite pretty, much more eye pleasure than bayformers.

Hm. I suppose I'll find out in the coming months. Hopefully it will indeed have a PC release because I always enjoy shooters more with mouse controls than Xbox 360/PS3 controls.

Woodsey:
Snore.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.

Wait theres an alan wake trailer?
And it has uzis?
wat?

Woodsey:
Snore.

Genius.

Well I like this trailer.

Itsthefuzz:

Woodsey:
Snore.

Genius.

Good for you. I was bored after the minute-mark, and its pretty lazy.

imnotparanoid:

Woodsey:
Snore.

Genius.

Wait theres an alan wake trailer?
And it has uzis?
wat?

I think the subtitle is American Nightmare if you want to find it on Youtube, or its on Gametrailers.

Woodsey:

Itsthefuzz:

Woodsey:
Snore.

Genius.

Well, I wasn't. I wasn't bored at all.

Woodsey:

I think the subtitle is American Nightmare if you want to find it on Youtube, or its on Gametrailers.

Yeah I looked it up earlier. It doesnt really look like Alan Wake, Also Where's his tweed jacket?!, that was the best character in the game!

I guess I'm one of the people who LOVED that trailer!
I thought it was very well done (the music and the scene etc). Also while it was bloody awesome seeing Bruticus and Grimlock transformation, it look like Soundwave may not be in it or at least in the same state as Bumblebee (he was the Decepticon that Jazz shot in the chest.
I'm honestly hoping they do release it for the PC as I finally getting a new PC soon (still next fall is one hell of a wait).

It was well played, but the ending sort of rubbed me off the wrong way. Like when the 'evil' decepticon turns into a T-rex, it made me go "There's no machine or vehicle that turns into a dinosaur.. what is this?" because truth be told my impression was a war of robots with a 'soul' intact to have some emotion.

Yet, the ending made me feel like the war can't be taken so seriously. If he changed to something moderate or believable (yeah I know, it's a cartoon/fiction game but still) then it'd have more meaning in my eyes.

Woodsey:
Snore.

Genius.

Yes, the VGAs are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. It's hard for them to be taken seriously when the industry they revolve around doesn't take them seriously either.

I do admit that I find the new Rainbow 6 game a bit... disturbing. Largely because I've noticed a general trend to want to treat patriotism as a bad thing especially given all of the attention being focused on the goverment and it's failings.

I'm somewhere between the left and right wings when it comes to domestic policy. All I could think of when I saw the trailer and the "terrorists" revealed that the guy you were seeing through the eyes off was a banker who made a fortune off of thse forclosure scams was "about time one of these scumbags gets it". I mean sure, threatening his family could be considered "evil" but how many families did this guy oust from their homes? Then when we've got goverment anti-terrorist dudes gunning these people down... I don't know, the whole situation just kind of blew chips.

I think OWS (Occupy Wall Street) was a joke, and missed a lot of valid points, not to mention failing to target the guys actually responsible (which takes actions very similar to what we saw in that trailer), and as a joke needed to be dealt with as the public nuisance it actually was. However when I start hearing about the goverment declaring the US a battleground and wanting to give the goverment wartime powers to arrest and detain without having to declare martial law? Yeah... well, I'm wondering if the time is going to come soon where I'm going to have a gun in my hand and the desire to use it.

That said, I agree most of the recent trailers I've seen are pretty lame. Alan Wake isn't going in the sandbox direction originally promised (or so it seems), Transformers (what this article is about) yet again fails to impress, and everything else is just "meh".

Speaking for myself I'm glad that the pre-start for Old Republic Online is in 2 days if the annoucement I've gotten is accurate (the 13th for those who pre-ordered and are pre-registered with a guild... I'll be coming in alongside my guild from Star Wars Galaxies), and then if that fails we should have "The Secret World" in a few months. That should keep me occupied even if both games blow chips since it takes time to give an MMO a fair shake.... it seems to me that 2012 is going to be a horrible year for games so far, nothing I've seen has impressed me much at all except maybe "Kingdoms of Amaultur" [SP] and even that seems very 'iffy'... like it's trying too hard to be "Dragon Age: Origins".

Caramel Frappe:
It was well played, but the ending sort of rubbed me off the wrong way. Like when the 'evil' decepticon turns into a T-rex, it made me go "There's no machine or vehicle that turns into a dinosaur.. what is this?" because truth be told my impression was a war of robots with a 'soul' intact to have some emotion.

Yet, the ending made me feel like the war can't be taken so seriously. If he changed to something moderate or believable (yeah I know, it's a cartoon/fiction game but still) then it'd have more meaning in my eyes.

It's clearly you're not into Transformers since that was no evil Decepticon, that was Grimlock, an Autobot that can transform into a robot T-Rex!! So sorry that you didn't feel it was right when they actually were faithful since after all they could of made Grimlock into a truck in one of the perivous incarnation of the franchise.

Therumancer:

Woodsey:
Snore.

Genius.

Yes, the VGAs are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. It's hard for them to be taken seriously when the industry they revolve around doesn't take them seriously either.

I do admit that I find the new Rainbow 6 game a bit... disturbing. Largely because I've noticed a general trend to want to treat patriotism as a bad thing especially given all of the attention being focused on the goverment and it's failings.

Patriotism is for muppets. And I meant the latest one from VGA, its on Gametrailers. Pretty sure they've said they're trying to walk an interesting line with the story, which is bound to come out if the guys you're fighting are a bunch of guys who are rightfully sore about being wrongfully fucked - if anything the game seems pretty left-wing (ironically, given Tom Clancy's stamped on it).

Itsthefuzz:

Woodsey:

Itsthefuzz:

Is there a point here that I should give a shit about?

Scarim Coral:

Caramel Frappe:

It's clearly you're not into Transformers since that was no evil Decepticon, that was Grimlock, an Autobot that can transform into a robot T-Rex!! So sorry that you didn't feel it was right when they actually were faithful since after all they could of made Grimlock into a truck in one of the perivous incarnation of the franchise.

Ah- I see. My bad for that, I am going to be honest by saying I don't know Transformers all that well sadly. I figured since it showed that robot on the right hand side, that he was on the decepticons side. Not to mention a T-rex breathing fire is usually indicated as evil but that would be assuming right? Still sort of gave me a bad impression, not that it ruined the trailer yet they should of showed maybe perhaps.. say, the video fading with Optimus Prime looking up like a sign of hope. Least to my expectations on this. Still was a neat video and something new right?

Woodsey:

Itsthefuzz:

Woodsey:

I don't know, but if there is a point I give a shit about it even if you don't.

Sexy.

First game was rather enjoyable (not better than the Atari TF for PS2, but damn close) so I'm hoping this will be the same.

Just hope the SP is a bit more, extended, than the first game and the online there's a 'VS Bots' mode.

Went online and EVERY damn time I got my ass kicked by the humans because I wasn't able to train a little with some AI bots.

I have to say, I feel like this'll be one of those really good sequels. WfC was actually pretty good, and now they probably know exactly how to improve it.

I'm trying to think of other examples of the sequel jump I'm expecting...

EDIT: Maybe AssCreed 1 to 2.

Is it just me or is this trailer trying really hard to give off Reach vibes?

I posted this here 2 days ago -.-

But still YEY BRUTICUS!

I have a sudden urge to munch metal...anyone else?

Caramel Frappe:

Grimlock (The T-rex) is an Autobot (Red symbol good, Purple symbol bad)

And the story goes, that Shockwave (Pretty much Megatrons right hand Decepticon) scanned a prehistoric earth, and thought it would be a good idea to use the animals he found and construct Dinobots, he then had Grimlocks strike team captured, to be used in his experiment. (because Grimlock and his boys are pretty much the strongest Autobots going, to have them captured would make a huge difference on the war)

However before he could finish his experiment, they escaped, with there memory intact, so they are still Autobots and not Decepticons, however, because of all the tampering done by Shockwave they are a little bit simple minded.

Hell Grimlock is so powerful, he can only Transform when pissed off.

Needs more cowbell.

Hey, I had the thing on mute initially and as soon as I saw grimlock in robot form I started welling up like a little school girl out of sheer unadulterated childlike joy. Dinobot form was completely joygasmic

My only concern is that they REALLY have to ditch the excessive repetitiveness and indistinct features within the gameplay that damn near killed WFC.

God people are killing this from one trailer?

Guys, look at this, this will change your mind.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/transformers.aspx

Interviews with highmoon, new gameplay mechanics and more.

Sad folk music is hilariously out of place. Buuuut this is Transformers, so I'm willing to accept plenty of cheese.

I hope the game takes a sudden shift and plays out like this:

This single trailer is more awesome, and has more emotion, than all three of Michael Bay's movies.

I get a big sense of hopelessness from this. Like, there are no battlefields anymore. There's just killing and killing, as both sides start to run out of men. Pure anarchy, as the world just tears itself apart.

Also, notice how they're mostly using hand to hand weapons. To me, this gives the impression that they're just running out of ammo, and having to resort to melee.

I actually can't wait for this game i did so enjoy the first one alot it was a blast to play and told the story well as well as being true to its source material.

can't wait for this, the only problem the first one had was that very few played it (now almost no one).

arc1991:

Caramel Frappe:

And the story goes, that Shockwave (Pretty much Megatrons right hand Decepticon) scanned a prehistoric earth, and thought it would be a good idea to use the animals he found and construct Dinobots, he then had Grimlocks strike team captured, to be used in his experiment. (because Grimlock and his boys are pretty much the strongest Autobots going, to have them captured would make a huge difference on the war)

However before he could finish his experiment, they escaped, with there memory intact, so they are still Autobots and not Decepticons, however, because of all the tampering done by Shockwave they are a little bit simple minded.

Grimlock wasn't exactly simple-minded in that continuity. Didn't he succeed Optimus as Autobot leader?

Definitely looking forward to this one, and fingers crossed that they can recruit Gregg Berger to reprise his legendary role as King of the Dinobots.

Thyunda:

arc1991:

Caramel Frappe:

Grimlock wasn't exactly simple-minded in that continuity. Didn't he succeed Optimus as Autobot leader?

I mean in this game, that is the story behind Grimlock in this game :P

And when the hell did Grimlock ever command the Autobots? o.O

arc1991:

Thyunda:

arc1991:

I mean in this game, that is the story behind Grimlock in this game :P

And when the hell did Grimlock ever command the Autobots? o.O

...oh. See. I don't know the continuity this game is set in...I thought you were referring to the....well...look, it's confusing. I don't know how it happened. Prime died, Grimlock succeeded him, and during his reign, the Decepticons were made his bitches. Where Optimus was merciful, Grimlock was violent. He even wore a crown. Me Grimlock, King.

Itsthefuzz:

Woodsey:

Itsthefuzz:

I don't know, but if there is a point I give a shit about it even if you don't.

i just want to say, i am really enjoying this exchange.

also as an avid transformers fan, i couldn't help but giggle through the entire thing. it was very enjoyable, but i can never take transformers seriously. but it's fantastic nonetheless.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here