We Reveal Your Picks for the 12th Game of Christmas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Flavio Kuperman:
I wonder how much EA had to pay to get DA2 up there. With all the overall negative reception DA2 got (other than by pro reviewers, of course), it will be a shame to see all the excellent games that didn't make this list. Damn I hate that game.

Yeah, definitely amazing how much money they had to pay each community member to vote for the game. Apparently, some people actually enjoyed the game (myself included).

Flavio Kuperman:
I wonder how much EA had to pay to get DA2 up there. With all the overall negative reception DA2 got (other than by pro reviewers, of course), it will be a shame to see all the excellent games that didn't make this list. Damn I hate that game.

First... welcome to the Escapist. I hope you enjoy it here.

Now let me be the first to point out what the article said: This was voted on by the members of The Escapist community such as you and me. Every one got one chance to pick their favourite and based on those numbers the top 12 was compiled. So in summary, EA didn't pay any of us. Many people here genuinely like the game. While I wouldn't put it into my top 12, I understand why it's there.

Well hey... i can't even remember what i voted for.
I suppose that'll only add to the surprise value each day :D

Merry waiting period before Christmas!

I'm hoping Bastion gets in the top 5 but I'll still be happy if it's in the top 10.

I'll be depressed if it's not there at all though...

BF3?
Well, okay fair enough. As long as MW3 doesn't get a spot above it, than I'm okay with this... mostly.
I'm a little mad that two EA games have gotten spots so far, (yeah, news flash I hate EA like the plague) I would reeeeeeeally like to see EA crash and burn, and it isn't happening.

Hmm. I would have put BF3 in the top 3 of my list. That game consumes pretty much all of my gaming time (about 2 hours a day).

Am I missing something here? I just get a badly scaled out picture of stockings 2 to 11 around a fireplace. There's nothing clickable, no games shown. I'm still getting badges, but there's nothing to look at, no links to follow. I've altered the URL to include "day=11/12" at the end. Where are you guys seeing DA2 and BF3?

Susan Arendt:
Hi, folks, quick update! Due to a variety of issues (all of which were beyond your control), many folks were too late to receive that 12th day badge, so to make up for it, we're handing it out along with the 11th day badge. So you'll be all caught up and eligible for that special 13th badge. (It's a little extra bit of Christmas Spirit for ya.)

Awww, thanks for indulging our "completionism"!! Although technically, we weren't late, *you guys* were! That's right, some of us hail from your future! We're actually ahead of you, time zones being what they are. ^_^

cgaWolf:
While we're on the 12 days topic, is that something american? I mean, i do partake in the differing 12-days sales/offers at times, and ofc i know the song, but i never really got where that came from.

Not American, it's actually one of the older traditions in Christianity, although various different sects and countries look at it in different ways. If anything, America tends to do it rather less than many other countries. And of course, it's actually supposed to be the other way around. Christmas day is the first day of Christmas, then the celebrations continue for twelve days until January 5th, which is supposedly when the three wise men arrived in Bethlehem (or possibly the day before, with the feast of Epiphany on the 6th celebrating their actual arrival), and is now usually considered the day you're supposed to take down your decorations.

BehattedWanderer:
Am I missing something here? I just get a badly scaled out picture of stockings 2 to 11 around a fireplace. There's nothing clickable, no games shown. I'm still getting badges, but there's nothing to look at, no links to follow. I've altered the URL to include "day=11/12" at the end. Where are you guys seeing DA2 and BF3?

I think it may be a problem with Firefox. I get the same as you with Firefox, even after disabling Noscript, Adblock, and everything else I could think of, but it works perfectly in IE.

Honestly Greg, given the sheer blasting that "Dragon Age 2" took here I am apalled to see it making this list and being presented as something that has seen positive endorsement by this community at large on ANY level.

SR3, and Battlefield 3, okay those belong there, but "Dragon Age 2" could probably be listed as The Escapist's nominee for "biggest belly flop of the year".

To be brutally honest I suspect this might be a sign of you guys going a little too far with selling out, because unless your getting paid to promote DA2 through articles or whatever I can't see any reason why that would be on this list, or The Escapist's administration would try and claim "our" enduring love of the title.

Now granted there ARE some people here who like the game, but it has nothing like support from the community. If The Escapist has any soul left, that one needs to be axed and replaced.

This isn't supposed to be the Spike VGAs.

For the #12 spot something like "9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" (released in November of last year actually but too late to make many lists) probably deserves it, as I can't remember seeing much negative criticism of it and it definatly has a fan following being mentioned periodically. Maybe not that game in paticular, but since we're at #12 a big AAA title doesn't really belong there.... and really to be honest I expect that this list is going to be a list of the year's biggest AAA and most heavily promoted titles, and in that case why not just do a 12 days of Christmas montage and put it up like the other advertising videos without tainting things by trying to put words into the mouthes of the community.

Heck, even Escapist contributors were mocking DA2's recycled dungeons and enviroments and such. No amount of characterization was able to save that game from it's horrible flaws and being a complete joke compared to "Origins".

Such are my thoughts, and my plea.

Therumancer:
Honestly Greg, given the sheer blasting that "Dragon Age 2" took here I am apalled to see it making this list and being presented as something that has seen positive endorsement by this community at large on ANY level.

SR3, and Battlefield 3, okay those belong there, but "Dragon Age 2" could probably be listed as The Escapist's nominee for "biggest belly flop of the year".

To be brutally honest I suspect this might be a sign of you guys going a little too far with selling out, because unless your getting paid to promote DA2 through articles or whatever I can't see any reason why that would be on this list, or The Escapist's administration would try and claim "our" enduring love of the title.

Now granted there ARE some people here who like the game, but it has nothing like support from the community. If The Escapist has any soul left, that one needs to be axed and replaced.

This isn't supposed to be the Spike VGAs.

For the #12 spot something like "9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" (released in November of last year actually but too late to make many lists) probably deserves it, as I can't remember seeing much negative criticism of it and it definatly has a fan following being mentioned periodically. Maybe not that game in paticular, but since we're at #12 a big AAA title doesn't really belong there.... and really to be honest I expect that this list is going to be a list of the year's biggest AAA and most heavily promoted titles, and in that case why not just do a 12 days of Christmas montage and put it up like the other advertising videos without tainting things by trying to put words into the mouthes of the community.

Heck, even Escapist contributors were mocking DA2's recycled dungeons and enviroments and such. No amount of characterization was able to save that game from it's horrible flaws and being a complete joke compared to "Origins".

Such are my thoughts, and my plea.

Once more, the community voted. We had nothing to do with the results. YOU CHOSE IT. Just because it does not adhere to your specific taste in games doesn't mean that it was rigged. Not that this will change your opinion, but the fact is the game does have support in the community as it received enough votes to be ranked as 12th. Jumping to conclusions of rigging and selling out seems a bit excessive.

This is messed up, I don't know what everyone is seeing but I'm not seeing anything but a bunch of stockings and a blueness covering the "doors"

Therumancer:

I won't push, but you might want to check those results for tampering. I'm also kind of curious who that quote is from, and how many people you can find in the community reinforcing those sentiments for it to represent "our standard reaction". Granted the characterization in DA2 was decent, it's rather... strong reaction being gameplay related more than anything. Still I haven't exactly seen thousands of Escapists singing it's praises in any capacity for that to represent anything like a majority point of view.

I've said my piece, you won't hear anything else from me on the subject.

Wait a minute.

You're now accusing us of lying simply because you can't conceive of a situation in which Dragon Age 2 might've actually been liked by enough people in this community to have made it onto the list. You even suggest we made up the quotes.

If you really think that we fabricated the results to push some kind of agenda, I invite you to leave this site and not return.

Quiet Stranger:
This is messed up, I don't know what everyone is seeing but I'm not seeing anything but a bunch of stockings and a blueness covering the "doors"

Are you using Firefox, by any chance? We seem to be having some issues with Firefox.

Dragon Age 2? Well that's fucking hilarious. I cant imagine it making any kind of "Best Of" list. Except maybe a Best of Bioware games with the words "Dragon" and "2" in the title.

Will Transformers 3 win the Escapists' movie of the year next?

Edit: It's also not just firefox with the issues. I tried it on IE and it worked even less. Maybe it has something to do with the new layout? The site's been pretty wonky ever since the change.

Kahani:

BehattedWanderer:

I think it may be a problem with Firefox. I get the same as you with Firefox, even after disabling Noscript, Adblock, and everything else I could think of, but it works perfectly in IE.

I disabled Adblock and it worked, if slowly. Using it on Chrome works for me, it seems. I'll just have to either swap adblock on and off for a bit, or open the pages with Chrome. Pesky.

Mcoffey:
Dragon Age 2? Well that's fucking hilarious. I cant imagine it making any kind of "Best Of" list. Except maybe a Best of Bioware games with the words "Dragon" and "2" in the title.

Edit: It's also not just firefox with the issues. I tried it on IE and it worked even less. Maybe it has something to do with the new layout? The site's been pretty wonky ever since the change.

Blame your brethren, for they are the ones who put it on the list. There were 50 games to vote for, remember.

As for the issues, it might be a fault of the redesign, maybe, I dunno. Or maybe you've just been naughty and not nice! </lamechristmashumor>

If the rest of you didn't give Catherine love and it isn't on this list then know that I'm watching you. And waiting.

Flavio Kuperman:

DO you really fucking think for a second that a multi-million dollar corporation is going to bribe a fucking website, SO THAT A GAME CAN APPEAR ON A CHRISTMAS LIST OF GAMES WHICH HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON ANYTHING?

Dragon Age 2 had balls, it actually gave us characters and not bland stereotypes which you had to feed compliments so that their motherfucking feelings wouldn't get hurt. "Oh whats that? end of the fucking world? Nope, just gonna run away because you do not share the exact same opinions as me".

Seriously, the outrage over this game has to be the single lowest point for the RPG genre ever, it showed us so clearly what RPG fans want, the same fucking thing, over and over and over again. No experimentation, no innovation, no changes, just the same old shit.

As much as I hate Dragon Age 2 (which is quite a bit trust me) It's ridiculous and childish to throw around accusations of bribery. This is very insignificant article on a relatively obscure website.

Ah, that is the feeling of vindication... Nice list, it is nice to see that just because you are loud, it doesn't make you indicative of the group.

Saints Row 3 BABY !

"I guess I prefer bullets to the knee over arrows."

<3

And yet another thing to look forward to during the Christmas season! Merry gaming Christmas one and all! It would be nice if the badge image showed the game it represented, but that's minor. Thanks for the badges!

Susan Arendt:

Mcoffey:

Blame your brethren, for they are the ones who put it on the list. There were 50 games to vote for, remember.

As for the issues, it might be a fault of the redesign, maybe, I dunno. Or maybe you've just been naughty and not nice! </lamechristmashumor>

Indeed. It's almost one of those "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" moments, if I was a bit more dramatic.

I'm sure the issues will work themselves out. Happens with every site when it gets a new layout. And until I wake up with coal in my socks, I stand by my innocence!

Hyper-space:

Seriously, the outrage over this game has to be the single lowest point for the RPG genre ever, it showed us so clearly what RPG fans want, the same fucking thing, over and over and over again. No experimentation, no innovation, no changes, just the same old shit.

I think it's more accurate to say that when change happens we want it to not suck. Sucking as bad as Dragon Age 2 did is not something that most RPG consumers enjoy.

If you want to bitch at someone for Dragon Age 2 being in the list, then do so at the community. Or bitch at me. I liked the game, I'd probably say put it at #7 on my top 10 list for the year. Maybe you didn't notice all the people who did enjoy it while a few others were shouting out hyperbolic diatribes against it. Get over it, already.

Oh, and happy holidays.

Wow! DA2, Battlefield 3, AND Saints Row the Third! Great pics! I'm wondering how you will be able to fill the other nine spots with games better than Saints Row. Here's hoping for the best!

P.S. Skyrim will get first. I don't want it to, but I'm perfectly okay with it. As long as a bad game doesn't get in the top 3, I'm 100% cool.

DustyDrB:
If you want to bitch at someone for Dragon Age 2 being in the list, then do so at the community. Or bitch at me. I liked the game, I'd probably say put it at #7 on my top 10 list for the year. Maybe you didn't notice all the people who did enjoy it while a few others were shouting out hyperbolic diatribes against it. Get over it, already.

Oh, and happy holidays.

I completely agree, I was one of the people that enjoyed that game as well, even more than the first game. If you take issue with it, okay, but why not have an actual conversation about, not just a shouting contest to see who can be loudest. I'm actually quite sick of the way it has been treated, how it seems no one can actually discuss it reasonably. Hell, one of those quotes wasn't from me but it echoes one of my feelings about it quite well, so if nothing else I'm happy with this pick.

So... why are people complaining?

DA2 wasn't bad. It was repetitive and recycled, yes, but bad? I've seen worse games. It was a letdown compared to what we had seen before and what we had expected. Frankly, DA2 is the Duke Nukem Forever of its franchise, only instead of DNF, instead of actually sucking, it just simply failed to live up to everyone's expectations.

And really? You guys are complaining about DA2 being on that list? I'll be quite honest, guys: there aren't THAT many AAA games that top the list and are loved by everyone. For all we know, we've already picked all of the good ones, and DA2 ended up being filler. Why don't we wait patiently for all 12 games to be released before we start whining like stupid and idiotic children, hm?

And yeah, the Escapist is selling out. Of course. >.> It's called 'AN OPINION'. I don't see anyone beating down Yahtzee's door because he finds MW3 mediocre.

Therumancer got permanently banned for that last post? Really? I realize that he impugned the reputation of the Escapist somewhat but a perma-ban seems unnecessarily harsh.

I for one shall miss his Unrelenting Force on these forums now that he's been Marked for Death.

believer258:
Dragon Age 2?

I guess that could be, but given the Escapist community's aversion to that game even to this day, I'm finding it a slight bit hard to believe that it was anywhere near any sort of "best of" list.

It seems more and more like the vocal minority is mistaken for the majority on The Escapist.

Frostbite3789:

believer258:
Dragon Age 2?

I guess that could be, but given the Escapist community's aversion to that game even to this day, I'm finding it a slight bit hard to believe that it was anywhere near any sort of "best of" list.

It seems more and more like the vocal minority is mistaken for the majority on The Escapist.

Beaten to the punch, as that's exactly what I was thinking. Not everyone who comes here is actively participating in the forums.

By the way, I didn't see a solid answer about the badges: if we failed to check that page for the first two days, are we SOL with respect to 11 and 12 (and apparently 13) badges?

Although to be honest, I probably wouldn't have checked it except every few days if I hadn't suddenly gotten that badge for it :P (and if we can't get all of them I'll stop fretting and just move on) Now I must know if I have a chance!

Also, Merry Christmas! (Fie on that happy holidays stuff, this thread is about Christmas and I'm going to wish one upon you whether you celebrate or not, so THERE!)

Add me to the list of being rather incredulous of Dragon Age 2 making any kind of list without the name "worst" in it at all, it was certainly one of the worst big budget games I've managed to play in years... right up there with Lost Planet 2.

Even though somewhat harsh it certainly deserves its Metacritic user score across the bow: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii

Then again, I didn't know there was anything to pick from, nor would I have done such a thing If I knew there was...

Yeah, Dragon Age 2 sucked more balls than some sort of experimental ball-sucking machine but the allegations of bribery are unfounded.

If Bioware did bribe The Escapist then they'd do much better than 12th for their title. I guess there's still a lot of Biowhores out there.

Although, it was a total dick-move of you fine gentlemen and ladies to ban Therumancer: the most wordy poster on this forum who has been here for four years for his possibly libelous actions. We could all se quite clearly that he was being a dumbass in this particular post and striking him with the feared banhammer was just adding insult to injury. Not to mention that, in the mind of the conspiracy theorists, banning him just adds credence to his claims.

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

Is also on the list, but hell that was expected.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here