We Reveal Your Picks for the 12th Game of Christmas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

MercurySteam:

Ziadaine:
..I think it's broken.

I've been away for a week, finally saw it, clicked on each Day to see them, only got the 7th Day. Are users only able to claim them ON the day? It used to be you can claim them up to the final day for all of them in previous years :\

I'm not getting No. 8 either. Buggy badges are buggy.

Same here. All I got is number 2. The thing that pisses me off is that I've been to the Escapist nearly every day, and somehow simply failed to see the news post on this.

AdmiralMemo:

MercurySteam:
I'm not getting No. 8 either. Buggy badges are buggy.

Same here. All I got is number 2. The thing that pisses me off is that I've been to the Escapist nearly every day, and somehow simply failed to see the news post on this.

I got two messages telling me I got number two, though I only two and not three. I think the new layout has has completely destroyed what would have been a fun Christmas event. Can't blame them for trying, though.

So, #2 is Portal 2. Anybody still planning on being surprised when they put up Skyrim tomorrow? Didn't think so.

Oh, look. Skyrim. How new and exciting. And stupid. Skyrim didn't even make my top 5.

Freakin' called it. It comes to no surprise seeing as how the entire world is all hyped up about Skyrim. But I'll admit I prefer Skyrim as the most anticipated X mas game rather than, let's say, MW3.

Skyrim for the win!

ugh skyrim, Deus ex HR should have gotten 1st place not 4th, skyrim "the soul sucker on the internet."

Kind of disappointed that Deus ex or Saint row didn't get to at least the No.1 and No.2 spot.

Hopefully next year a game I like and love will reach No.1 and not be released a month before any sort of poll begins.

-Double post due to new TOS and captcha-

Hyper-space:

EDIT:

Alphalpha:
Therumancer got permanently banned for that last post? Really? I realize that he impugned the reputation of the Escapist somewhat but a perma-ban seems unnecessarily harsh.

He basically herped-the-derped when he suggested that the Escapist was selling out, just because the community didn't adhere to his specific taste. You seriously have to be one massive fucking prick to be so fucking narcissistic and arrogant that you think that if YOU didn't like the game, then NO ONE could have liked the game. Hes confusing the teary-eyed vocal minority with the rest of the community.

Seriously, hes more suited for 4chan than this place.

Seriously dude? There's more to it than that. They've been having cash flow issues lately, and they've done a lot of questionable things in the name of staying solvent. In the games industry, sadly, it's a pretty common practice for advertisers to influence the editorial content, and it can be a legitimate question in situations like this. What's more, I really think you're wrong about there being some silent majority that liked DA2. This is The Escapist, the site where the only people more vocal than the haters are the fanboys. Imagine if some minority of the posters started spamming the forum with threads hating on Half Life. They'd get completely drowned out by the people who honestly love the games. If it really was a majority of registered users that liked the game, we would have seen a very different attitude than we did. Now, I am not saying that Therumancer was right, but I am saying that the results here are truly unexpected. There's more than likely some sort of bias going on; either a ton of unregistered users voted, or else the group of registered users who did vote weren't quite a representative sample. I didn't even know about the contest until Therumancer got banned and I clicked on the link to see the reason, and I'm on this site every day, so that tells you something about how well the contest was advertised ahead of time.

P.S.: Note that I have absolutely no opinion on DA2, having never played either Dragon Age game. I recognize, however, that there aren't very many people on this forum that liked the game, and the result really is unexpected.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Seriously dude? There's more to it than that. They've been having cash flow issues lately, and they've done a lot of questionable things in the name of staying solvent.

Meanwhile, at the Bioware Headquarters...

"Hey, there's some video-gaming site that is doing a community poll on their favorite games of the year!"

"Hmm, while this is just a community poll with no meaningful effects on anything that has to do with Dragon Age 2, I suggest we pay off the website so that it can land in 12th place"

"Great idea!"

Seriously, look at yourself, look at your mindless fucking accusations. Just because a vocal-minority cried and cried about the game, you expect EVERYONE to hate it. I have been on this site for nearly 4 years, so I know what it is like. If you confuse the opinions of the vocal minority for that of the majority, then you simply don't know the internet in general.

Every time someone started a poll about DA2, the people that actually liked it were at least 50%, while it was a handful of people that whined on and on about it in the comments. Seeing the absolute mind-boggling hatred and stupidity from some of these people is enough to scare some people away from sharing their honest opinion, especially as its customary for people to exclaim that "if you like a game I don't like, you're retarded and/or stupid".

Therumancer's comment and this whole fucking shitstorm has to be the lowest fucking point in the community's history. Its one thing to not like a game, its another to accuse people of corruption just because they do not conform to your opinion.

Hyper-space:

Owyn_Merrilin:
Seriously dude? There's more to it than that. They've been having cash flow issues lately, and they've done a lot of questionable things in the name of staying solvent.

Meanwhile, at the Bioware Headquarters...

"Hey, there's some video-gaming site that is doing a community poll on their favorite games of the year!"

"Hmm, while this is just a community poll with no meaningful effects on anything that has to do with Dragon Age 2, I suggest we pay off the website so that it can land in 12th place"

"Great idea!"

Seriously, look at yourself, look at your mindless fucking accusations. Just because a vocal-minority cried and cried about the game, you expect EVERYONE to hate it. I have been on this site for nearly 4 years, so I know what it is like. If you confuse the opinions of the vocal minority for that of the majority, then you simply don't know the internet in general.

Every time someone started a poll about DA2, the people that actually liked it were at least 50%, while it was a handful of people that whined on and on about it in the comments. Seeing the absolute mind-boggling hatred and stupidity from some of these people is enough to scare some people away from sharing their honest opinion, especially as its customary for people to exclaim that "if you like a game I don't like, you're retarded and/or stupid".

Therumancer's comment and this whole fucking shitstorm has to be the lowest fucking point in the community's history. Its one thing to not like a game, its another to accuse people of corruption just because they do not conform to your opinion.

Even when what they're being accused of is common industry practice? You'll note that I didn't say that he was right,just that his concerns were legitimate. Besides, if anything the lowest point around here was the Extra Credits debacle, where we found out that, you know, The Escapist wasn't paying its contributors? They've done questionable things in the past because they have cash flow issues. Accusing Therumancer of being completely off base with the question is, frankly, completely off base.

Edit: Plus, we're talking about EA here. Bioware doesn't have anything to do with the marketing of their products; that's EA's job as the publisher, and if you think they're above paying for review scores (again, I'm not saying that The Escapist has taken any bribes, but EA at least offers them to anyone they think will bite), you apparently haven't been following games journalism for the last decade; it's not a field known for journalistic integrity.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Even when what they're being accused of is common industry practice? You'll note that I didn't say that he was right,just that his concerns were legitimate. Besides, if anything the lowest point around here was the Extra Credits debacle, where we found out that, you know, The Escapist wasn't paying its contributors? They've done questionable things in the past because they have cash flow issues. Accusing Therumancer of being completely off base with the question is, frankly, completely off base.

I'm going to say this one more time:

WHAT COMPANY, IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS, WOULD PAY OFF A MEDIUM-SIZED WEBSITE SO THAT THEIR GAME COULD BE IN *GASP* TWELFTH PLACE IN A COMMUNITY POLL THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON SALES, REVIEWS OR ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE? WHAT WOULD EA GAIN FROM PAYING OFF THE ESCAPIST SO THAT DA2 CAN LAND IN TWELFTH PLACE?

Please fucking indulge me in as why a company such as Bioware or EA would even bother with doing something like this, and why all of this outrage and accusations are not just happening because some people don't like the game.

OMG, A GAME I DO NOT LIKE IS CONSIDERED GOOD BY SOME! IT MUST BE A SHAM PERPETRATED BY THE NWO OR SOME SHIT!

Hyper-space:

Owyn_Merrilin:

I'm going to say this one more time:

WHAT COMPANY, IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS, WOULD PAY OFF A MEDIUM-SIZED WEBSITE SO THAT THEIR GAME COULD BE IN *GASP* TWELFTH PLACE IN A COMMUNITY POLL THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON SALES, REVIEWS OR ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE?

Please fucking indulge me in as why a company such as Bioware or EA would even bother with doing something like this, and why all of this outrage and accusations are not just happening because some people don't like the game.

OMG, A GAME I DO NOT LIKE IS CONSIDERED GOOD BY SOME! IT MUST BE A SHAM PERPETRATED BY THE NWO OR SOME SHIT!

Do you know how obnoxious you sound right now? The accusations are happening because a vocal majority of users on this site spent several months talking about just how terrible they thought the game was. So you're right, people are complaining because they didn't like the game... along with most of the other people who were supposed to vote on this poll. That's why it's suspicious. Now, I think you're right that EA didn't influence anything on this specific poll, but if you can't see why the result was at least unexpected, you're the pot calling the kettle black, because you're getting angry because you do like a game that a lot of people didn't like.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Even when what they're being accused of is common industry practice?

If you go into someone's house and spit in their collective face, don't be surprised if you're invited to leave.

That said, yes, a lot of people everywhere said they didn't like Dragon Age 2. It still sold like mad. Bonus points: Remember Modern Warfare 2 for PC? Huge boycott group. One of the biggest around. On release day: everyone playing.

Conclusion: Take what "vocal" majorities or minorities say with mountainous piles of salt.

Caliostro:

If you go into someone's house and spit in their collective face, don't be surprised if you're invited to leave.

Alright, this statement bugs me. I really have to ask where all these circa 2008 posters with low post counts have come from. Therumancer was around for at least as long as you have been, but his post count is huge; I'd say he has about as much right to call this place his house as any other user. I've been here for a little over a year, and my post count is about a thousand posts removed from yours. Hyper-Space has a post count I hit within a few months of joining.

I mean, I get that you guys are annoyed at this, but your post counts, combined with your join dates, show that you haven't been particularly active members. Therumancer was, and so am I, and it honestly seems like you guys have missed all of the questionable decisions that have been made around here in the last six months or so. Therumancer was not making an accusation in a vacuum, he had reasons for wondering whether or not something sinister had happened. What's more, if you read the post where he suggested it, he was polite, and merely voicing a concern that it was suspicious. There were other posters in the thread who got off scot free with much more blunt accusations of malevolence on The Escapist's part. Heck, he even said he would drop it after that post, and he just wanted to voice his concern -- meaning they didn't have to do anything to him, he was dropping the subject anyway. This goes so far beyond an anti-fanboy getting angry because his least favorite game made a list that it's not even funny.

Edit: Oh, and if the Modern Warfare 2 group your talking about is the one I'm thinking of, that picture is misleading, because Steam shows the members of a group that are in a game first, followed by the ones who are online, and then finally show the ones who aren't even logged in. There's a limited number of slots on the front page, so you could have a tiny minority of the members of a truly large group being in a game at the time, and have the entire front page show people who are playing it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here