We Reveal Your Picks for the 12th Game of Christmas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well, I knew the list couldn't stay good forever. There was no way this game wouldn't make the list anyways, since around 70-80% of this site are hardcore PC gamers. Bah Humbug. *grumbles*

You know, I was sort of surprised to see DA2 up there but then I remembered that my brotherly best friend who owns a PS3 loved the game. He mentioned that it's just something fresh where the RPG wasn't trying to hard to shove all these options- ect.

So am not surprised it made it on there. However the other games after it I pretty much feel satisfied that they made it on there period. Saints Row the Third deserves to be there, and ether BF3 or MW3 deserve to be there (I hope that only one remains, it'd be odd to have two military games within the top 12. That's just me though so oh well, people voted and can't argue against that :}).

However if Skyrim isn't apart of the top 12 for some reason.. I will REALLY question all of you on why you'd not bother voting for such an amazing game. I'll not rage but silently go in a corner.... and play Skyrim appreciating it very much.

Hyper-space:
Seriously, the outrage over this game has to be the single lowest point for the RPG genre ever, it showed us so clearly what RPG fans want, the same fucking thing, over and over and over again. No experimentation, no innovation, no changes, just the same old shit.

You mean, exactly like the dungeons in Dragon Age 2? So much copy/paste...

I actually really enjoyed the game, and would be surprised if it didn't make it onto the list, but it was nowhere near as good as Origins or Awakenings. Story and characters were interesting, but the gameplay felt like a letdown to me. I can understand why a (very, very vocal) minority around the forums hate on it, as with Mass Effect 2, but I still enjoyed it for the great storyline and reasonably interesting characters.

I've been waiting on that 9. Now I'm Mr. Cleverbadge.

<------

coldfrog:
(Just the profile)

Ok, after looking at his, maybe I'm NOT Mr. Cleverbadge.

In my opinion, the only time DA2 should be on any list is if it was called "Worst RPG of 2011". Like I said before, that's just me.

And I also agree with those that thought Therumancer was unjustly banned. And like Iron Lightning said before me, this confirms everything he said. Basically, what I saw there was "If I don't like what you have to say, GTFO. Better yet, I'll just kick you out."

Marmooset:
I've been waiting on that 9. Now I'm Mr. Cleverbadge.

<------

coldfrog:
(Just the profile)

Ok, after looking at his, maybe I'm NOT Mr. Cleverbadge.

You've inspired me to put back my old avatar that I got because I could manipulate my badges so.
(After I changed my avatar I never got around to moving my badges some)
BOX!

DustyDrB:
If you want to bitch at someone for Dragon Age 2 being in the list, then do so at the community. Or bitch at me. I liked the game, I'd probably say put it at #7 on my top 10 list for the year. Maybe you didn't notice all the people who did enjoy it while a few others were shouting out hyperbolic diatribes against it. Get over it, already.

Oh, and happy holidays.

I agree with you. I feel like I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the game. I spent the better part of 3 days over this past summer playing it because I was having fun. Sure the dungeons sucked, you HAD to be a human, and I felt the city got kind of boring after awhile. But I had fun with the characters and I felt the gameplay and combat stayed mostly true to the original.

OT: So far this "12 Games..." thing isn't super relevant to me other than a list of games I should probably go play. I've only played DA2 out of the the list so far, and can't play the Witcher 2 (though I would if I could). I'll be interested to see what other games fill out the rest of the list.

It amazes me how many people don't realize that this is an event based on community votes...

(Still hoping Bastion makes the list)

I liked DA2 a lot. I know some people didn't like it - but why do so many of them need their opinion validating?

To those complaining about it: You only have to adjust your preconception that the game was universally hated by the community based on the factual evidence presented here - it doesn't mean that you are forced into liking it.

On the other hand SR3 is complete shite. The escapist must have took some bribes as I can't believe that anyone would have a different opinion of that game to me.

I'm just posting so this can appear in the handy recent posts area of the home page, since the new website layout appears to be HIDING content from me.

edit: double post

coldfrog:

You've inspired me to put back my old avatar that I got because I could manipulate my badges so.
BOX!

I'm honored, sir.
Now I feel like I'm Cleverbadge's Watson.

Agreed. It seems like a lot the fanboys/fangirls out there have been pissing themselves silly with Skyrim.

OT: My quote is at the bottom of the Saints Row: The Third section! Yeah!
But seriously, I haven't had as much fun with any other game than I have had with that one. Sure I can't have my character sing "Take On Me" and it didn't almost make me cry like in the second one, but who cares? I love that I can do sweet wrestling moves on innocent bystanders. While naked of course.

FoolKiller:

Flavio Kuperman:
I wonder how much EA had to pay to get DA2 up there. With all the overall negative reception DA2 got (other than by pro reviewers, of course), it will be a shame to see all the excellent games that didn't make this list. Damn I hate that game.

First... welcome to the Escapist. I hope you enjoy it here.

Now let me be the first to point out what the article said: This was voted on by the members of The Escapist community such as you and me. Every one got one chance to pick their favourite and based on those numbers the top 12 was compiled. So in summary, EA didn't pay any of us. Many people here genuinely like the game. While I wouldn't put it into my top 12, I understand why it's there.

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome =). I'm kind of surprised my emotional reply was taken so literally. It was meant as an expression, kind of like "who did X have to sleep with to get that job!?". I get very worked up about DA2, mainly because I feel it has taken my most beloved hobby (namely RPG gaming) into such a foul direction, coming from a company that I had (formerly) respected so much. The whole thing was just such an atrocity. I understand that people might like the game but I'm a bit frustrated to see the game get any form of positive recognition, for fear that it might give a hint to the publishers that some people approved of that game's direction. I do honestly believe it to be the worst game I've ever played, if only because of the sheer hatred it has drawn from me this year.

Hyper-space:

Flavio Kuperman:
I wonder how much EA had to pay to get DA2 up there. With all the overall negative reception DA2 got (other than by pro reviewers, of course), it will be a shame to see all the excellent games that didn't make this list. Damn I hate that game.

DO you really fucking think for a second that a multi-million dollar corporation is going to bribe a fucking website, SO THAT A GAME CAN APPEAR ON A CHRISTMAS LIST OF GAMES WHICH HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON ANYTHING?

Dragon Age 2 had balls, it actually gave us characters and not bland stereotypes which you had to feed compliments so that their motherfucking feelings wouldn't get hurt. "Oh whats that? end of the fucking world? Nope, just gonna run away because you do not share the exact same opinions as me".

Seriously, the outrage over this game has to be the single lowest point for the RPG genre ever, it showed us so clearly what RPG fans want, the same fucking thing, over and over and over again. No experimentation, no innovation, no changes, just the same old shit.

First off, no, I don't think they would do that. I also didn't think my phrase would be taken literally.

Second, I'm sorry, but I can only partially agree with your other statement; yes, Dragon Age 2 had balls, but only in the sense that they had the balls to pull a bait-and-switch scheme on Bioware's most avid fans; they sold us trash game that was as shallow as the shallow end of a drained kiddy pool and then they had the gonads to call the game Dragon Age, despite having nothing in common whatsoever with its predecessor in the way of gameplay and feel. But still, trusting that Bioware would deliver excellence, fans of the original bought the game and noticed that the developers (or publishers, who knows who was responsible for this atrocity) didn't care at all about the predecessor's loyal fans, having instead created a game entirely geared towards people who didn't even like RPGs or found the idea of an RPG to be too complicated.

And about your last point, I'm not quite sure how you can say that. The truth is quite the opposite... DA:O was what RPG fans wanted because it was complex, as opposed to the grand majority of dumbed-down and streamlined RPGs that had been released around the same time. DA2, on the other hand, decided to just continue the tradition of simple and streamlined games. What it did was not so much take a risk, but rather submit to the safety and comfort of producing a really dumbed down game that they knew the masses could easily consume. Wait, let me take that back, they did take a risk: the risk that any fans of their previous work will ever spend money on the third installment of this series.

Sorry about the rant... there are very few things that make me as worked up as this crappy game. Yeah it's just a game, but gaming happens to be my preferred hobby and I find this game to be a giant middle finger pointed directly at the fans of Bioware's previous work.

Well so far we have:

12. Dragon Age 2
11. Battlefield 3
10. Saints Row: The Third
9. The Witcher 2

Hmm... another trend of sequelitis seems to be brewing. I was AWOL during the voting procedure so I never got to have my say but I do hope that some new IPs get some Christmas loving in this list.

For those that can't wait here is the complete list:

Dragon Age 2 on number 12 seems strange. The rest of the list is kinda what you except.

FoolKiller:
Well so far we have:

12. Dragon Age 2
11. Battlefield 3
9. The Witcher 2

Hmm... another trend of sequelitis seems to be brewing. I was AWOL during the voting procedure so I never got to have my say but I do hope that some new IPs get some Christmas loving in this list.

How many quality games even came out this year that weren't sequels? This list isn't exactly surprising.

Flavio Kuperman:
snip

Your argument can be boiled down to this:

"I think everyone who doesn't share my specific taste of RPG's is an idiot"
->"Therefore"
"Everyone who likes the game I didn't like is an idiot."

Now think about the precedent you set, I could have started off by assuming that everyone who liked DA:O is some fat basement dweller who only likes pandering and clichéd shit. So then, I am going to start this off measured by saying this:

ONES PREFERENCE FOR GAMEPLAY SHOULD NOT BE HELD UP AS AN INDICATOR OF ONES PERSONAL INTELLIGENCE. PERIOD.

Now, the rest of your response is nothing but subjective preferences treated as facts, with all the necessary language to make out as if your tastes are somehow better (words like dumbed-down, complex, ect. Pointless semantics made out to paint you and other who share your opinion as superior).

Here's why the writing, story and characters of DA2 is a healthy step-up from it predecessor.

• Firstly, the characters no longer fit the standard bioware-mold. Instead of being just callbacks to previous bioware characters they are new personalities, the ultimate example being Aveline, one of the few female characters to perfectly embody feminism (not to mention, an actual female character who is not designed to pander or come off as a caricature) in an industry which sorely needs it.
  • Secondly, The characters are more mature and well-rounded. In the first game, you had to pander to each and every character's ideology or risk them deserting you (despite the end of the motherfucking world) and they never evolved or changed unless you wished them too. For you see, the characters in DA:O were nothing but character prop, you were the only catalyst for them, they would just remain the same unless you forced them too.
  • Thirdly, they gave us a story in which your character was given a personal and frankly refreshing motivation. No more "end of the world" bullshit which we've seen over and over again, no more the same old carrot-on-a-stick to get your character moving. Here, they gave us a story of poverty, xenophobia and pure grey choices. There was no obsessively racist caricature, only human frailty. No clear-cut bad-guy who you had to defeat, only desperate souls doing what they think is best (all of which is arguable) for the people they care about.

This, is a clear step-up from the predecessor, and marks a healthy evolution for Bioware when it comes to writing, story and characterization (which is their main points of emphasis). Sure, the reused dungeons were bad, but treating the different gameplay and different story and setting as pure evil will only deter them from experimenting and innovating. We should be grateful that they finally delivered us great characters, great story and writing, instead of resorting to the old formula. We shouldn't be crying our eyes out over a big game company deciding to do something different, as after all, isn't that what we want? Innovation?

You cannot say with a straight-face that you support developers who do something different, experiment with their games, advance and mature their story-telling, yet fume over Bioware doing something different (even if you don't personally like it).

If all this backlash ends up with Bioware going back to the same old immature story-telling of bland character-archetypes, cliché "end of the world" story-lines and characters who do not evolve beyond your participation, then its on your hands. You will finally see what decrying experimentation means: companies going with safe bets, reusing the same old formula, same old characters and same old gameplay.

I hope to our non-existing god that they'll keep doing what they did with the characterization, writing and story. Or else we will end up with a carbon-copy of Baldurs Gate. Over and over again.

Placing a post here to bookmark the thread before the whole thing falls off the front page and it's impossible to find again. And as for the list, I agree that 2011 was definitely the Year of the Sequel. How much do you want to bet that when the chips are down, Bastion is the only stand-alone game on the list?

Marmooset:

coldfrog:

BOX!

I'm honored, sir.
Now I feel like I'm Cleverbadge's Watson.

Professor Cleverbadge Strikes Again

(Yes, in my fantasy I'm a professor. Since you liked my box, I thought you might enjoy this too)

Anyway, more on topic:

Hyper-space:

Here's why the writing, story and characters of DA2 is a healthy step-up from it predecessor.

• Firstly, the characters no longer fit the standard bioware-mold. Instead of being just callbacks to previous bioware characters they are new personalities, the ultimate example being Aveline, one of the few female characters to perfectly embody feminism (not to mention, an actual female character who is not designed to pander or come off as a caricature) in an industry which sorely needs it.
  • Secondly, The characters are more mature and well-rounded. In the first game, you had to pander to each and every character's ideology or risk them deserting you (despite the end of the motherfucking world) and they never evolved or changed unless you wished them too. For you see, the characters in DA:O were nothing but character prop, you were the only catalyst for them, they would just remain the same unless you forced them too.
  • Thirdly, they gave us a story in which your character was given a personal and frankly refreshing motivation. No more "end of the world" bullshit which we've seen over and over again, no more the same old carrot-on-a-stick to get your character moving. Here, they gave us a story of poverty, xenophobia and pure grey choices. There was no obsessively racist caricature, only human frailty. No clear-cut bad-guy who you had to defeat, only desperate souls doing what they think is best (all of which is arguable) for the people they care about.

I didn't much care for the first Dragon Age (never finished it, but honestly, with a game that long, you have to WANT to finish it) and so totally ignored the sequel. This makes me actively want to give it a shot, and not only that, makes me surprised it's not higher on the list (although, as communities vote, the final votes seem fairly straightforward). If everything you say is true[1], then I DEFINITELY want to support this type of game being made. Anyone who's willing to break the mold is a plus for me, and when big companies like this do it, it feels like gaming as a legitimate medium is progressing even more.

After Christmas is over, I think I just might pick this up.

[1] Not actually doubting the veracity of your claims, but rather accounting for opinions and experiences in which you might consider their story a breakthrough in the medium, whereas others might not. Basically just covering my ass in case the whole thing goes wahoonie-shaped :P

GeorgW:

FoolKiller:
Well so far we have:

12. Dragon Age 2
11. Battlefield 3
9. The Witcher 2

How many quality games even came out this year that weren't sequels? This list isn't exactly surprising.

There were quite a few quality games that were originals....

Bastion, From Dust, Catherine, Bulletstorm, L.A. Noire and Outland all come to mind. Although that would be hoping that enough people appreciate the arcade selection on XBLA/PSN/Steam for it to make the list for selection....

Come to think of it, could someone PM me the list of games that was available for selection. I may have missed out on giving input but I'm still curious what was available for choosing (and it would give me ideas of what games I might want to give a try).

One last thing... with 8 spots left in the top 12 I figure the following are likely...
Batman: Arkham City
Skyrim
Modern Warfare 3 (although I would be equally unsurprised if it didn't make it)
Little Big Planet 2

StriderShinryu:
Awesome, and rather hilarious. Given how much (mostly undeserved) hate DA2 gets on The Escapist, it's quite humourous to see it end up on a best of the year list that was voted on by the same population that claims it to be beyond awful.

It definitely had it's flaws, which Bioware themselves even admit to, but it definitely deserves it's spot. Good show DA2, and good show Escapist voters.

You can't name 12 games you'd rather play from the last year?

I mean I don't keep up with games much...but I could swear there are at least 12 other games way more entertaining and far more polished.

Just feels true.

duckymcfly99:
Agreed. It seems like a lot the fanboys/fangirls out there have been pissing themselves silly with Skyrim.

OT: My quote is at the bottom of the Saints Row: The Third section! Yeah!
But seriously, I haven't had as much fun with any other game than I have had with that one. Sure I can't have my character sing "Take On Me" and it didn't almost make me cry like in the second one, but who cares? I love that I can do sweet wrestling moves on innocent bystanders. While naked of course.

I really liked it.

Otherwise, SR3 was damn fun. Just needed to push back aircrafts to mid game instead of 10 seconds after I'm on the ground :P.

-|-:
I liked DA2 a lot. I know some people didn't like it - but why do so many of them need their opinion validating?

To those complaining about it: You only have to adjust your preconception that the game was universally hated by the community based on the factual evidence presented here - it doesn't mean that you are forced into liking it.

On the other hand SR3 is complete shite. The escapist must have took some bribes as I can't believe that anyone would have a different opinion of that game to me.

This made me laugh a bit but the fact that it "might" not be intentional irony made me sad.

FoolKiller:

GeorgW:

FoolKiller:
Well so far we have:

12. Dragon Age 2
11. Battlefield 3
9. The Witcher 2

There were quite a few quality games that were originals....

Bastion, From Dust, Catherine, Bulletstorm, L.A. Noire and Outland all come to mind. Although that would be hoping that enough people appreciate the arcade selection on XBLA/PSN/Steam for it to make the list for selection....

Come to think of it, could someone PM me the list of games that was available for selection. I may have missed out on giving input but I'm still curious what was available for choosing (and it would give me ideas of what games I might want to give a try).

One last thing... with 8 spots left in the top 12 I figure the following are likely...
Batman: Arkham City
Skyrim
Modern Warfare 3 (although I would be equally unsurprised if it didn't make it)
Little Big Planet 2

The only ones of those new IPs I liked and would consider to be viable to the top 12 are Bastion and LA Noire. Don't get me wrong, I'm sick of sequelitis as well, but since all resources are devoted to the sequels it's not surprising that they're the ones that are good.
I would also like a list of the games you could vote for, all I can remember is that there were a damn lot of them.
And I'd bet a few millions that Skyrim will win, and I'd bet a few bucks arkham city's in the top 3. I really doubt MW3 or LBP will be on the list though. Portal 2 will be very high up.

coldfrog:

I didn't much care for the first Dragon Age (never finished it, but honestly, with a game that long, you have to WANT to finish it) and so totally ignored the sequel. This makes me actively want to give it a shot, and not only that, makes me surprised it's not higher on the list (although, as communities vote, the final votes seem fairly straightforward). If everything you say is true

Well, think about the amount of RPG's in which your character's primary motivation was the end of the world. Quite a few.

Then think about what kind of company this is, its one of the largest RPG developer in the industry, and they are under one of the largest publishers in the world. When a big-deal like them breaks the mold, I cannot help but feel a slight tingle of hope.

Susan Arendt:

Therumancer:

I won't push, but you might want to check those results for tampering. I'm also kind of curious who that quote is from, and how many people you can find in the community reinforcing those sentiments for it to represent "our standard reaction". Granted the characterization in DA2 was decent, it's rather... strong reaction being gameplay related more than anything. Still I haven't exactly seen thousands of Escapists singing it's praises in any capacity for that to represent anything like a majority point of view.

I've said my piece, you won't hear anything else from me on the subject.

Wait a minute.

You're now accusing us of lying simply because you can't conceive of a situation in which Dragon Age 2 might've actually been liked by enough people in this community to have made it onto the list. You even suggest we made up the quotes.

If you really think that we fabricated the results to push some kind of agenda, I invite you to leave this site and not return.

Question: are you the one who banned him over the post? Because there's a difference between "inviting" someone to leave and banning them. Banning someone who has concerns that you may have tampered with poll results in order to please the advertisers, when he hasn't actually broken any rules, doesn't exactly help the case that you aren't bowing to pressure from EA, does it? I'm not saying you did, but I'd like some kind of an explanation as to why one the longest lasting and best posters on these forums just got banned.

Edit: Especially since this is two days after the ban, and his forum health bar still shows that he's a few ticks short of a perma ban, but all of his posts are still grayed out with a note that says he was banned.

Hyper-space:

Flavio Kuperman:
snip

Your argument can be boiled down to this:

"I think everyone who doesn't share my specific taste of RPG's is an idiot"
->"Therefore"
"Everyone who likes the game I didn't like is an idiot."

Now think about the precedent you set, I could have started off by assuming that everyone who liked DA:O is some fat basement dweller who only likes pandering and clichéd shit. So then, I am going to start this off measured by saying this:

ONES PREFERENCE FOR GAMEPLAY SHOULD NOT BE HELD UP AS AN INDICATOR OF ONES PERSONAL INTELLIGENCE. PERIOD.

Now, the rest of your response is nothing but subjective preferences treated as facts, with all the necessary language to make out as if your tastes are somehow better (words like dumbed-down, complex, ect. Pointless semantics made out to paint you and other who share your opinion as superior).

This, is a clear step-up from the predecessor, and marks a healthy evolution for Bioware when it comes to writing, story and characterization (which is their main points of emphasis). Sure, the reused dungeons were bad, but treating the different gameplay and different story and setting as pure evil will only deter them from experimenting and innovating. We should be grateful that they finally delivered us great characters, great story and writing, instead of resorting to the old formula. We shouldn't be crying our eyes out over a big game company deciding to do something different, as after all, isn't that what we want? Innovation?

You cannot say with a straight-face that you support developers who do something different, experiment with their games, advance and mature their story-telling, yet fume over Bioware doing something different (even if you don't personally like it).

If all this backlash ends up with Bioware going back to the same old immature story-telling of bland character-archetypes, cliché "end of the world" story-lines and characters who do not evolve beyond your participation, then its on your hands. You will finally see what decrying experimentation means: companies going with safe bets, reusing the same old formula, same old characters and same old gameplay.

I hope to our non-existing god that they'll keep doing what they did with the characterization, writing and story. Or else we will end up with a carbon-copy of Baldurs Gate. Over and over again.

I won't go too far because I doubt this will go anywhere... but yeah, I wouldn't expect the characterization to get screwed up by Bioware, and they delivered in this department (despite the only viable healer being rather intolerable). The problem, as I mentioned, is that the gameplay was shite, especially compared to previous titles. Very watered down, cut down to a minimum. I'm not saying I have a problem with people liking this kind of thing, but I do have a problem with Bioware baiting-and-switching with this on people who don't. The repetitive environments were maybe 1% of the issues I had with that game.

theultimateend:

This made me laugh a bit but the fact that it "might" not be intentional irony made me sad.

No need to be sad - irony was intended.

Flavio Kuperman:

Must have been a lot, considering this is a vote, and they'd have to bribe a fair amount of people. Or, maybe your tastes aren't universal? *le gasp*

Skyward Sword at #7... well, I never expected it to make #1, that's just silly. But I did hope it'd make the top 3 or at least 5. I know the top 3: Skyrim, Portal 2 and Minecraft. Deus Ex and Arkham City will be in 4-6. My biggest question: what is the other one?

Meh. Still a great list, and with three exceptions (Skyward Sword and Saint's Row 3, and the fact that Skyrim will be #1), it's matching well with what I think.

So far, out of the...what, 6 that are up? I only own two of them and have only played three (ironically, one of the three I've played are not one of the ones I own. Technically, it wasn't a present-peek either)

..I think it's broken.

I've been away for a week, finally saw it, clicked on each Day to see them, only got the 7th Day. Are users only able to claim them ON the day? It used to be you can claim them up to the final day for all of them in previous years :\

Yay! Zelda! Alright, now for Halo: Anniversary, Portal 2, L.A. Noire, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, that one game I can never remember, and Skyrim...right? =O

*crosses fingers*

EDIT: Dues Ex! Why the hell can I not remember that name!? Anyways that the one I was talking about.

Caramel Frappe:
Well now I feel touched. The Escapist Staff giving us each day to check out a game in our stocking.. it's pretty much so exciting because I have NO IDEA what the games will be. Love you guys!! And you random (or well known) Escapist users! Merry Christmas!!

P.S: I already have a feeling that..

Angry Birds!? If that somehow manages to take the top spot, I'm catching the next transport out of this system! Some things just shouldn't be....

Ziadaine:
..I think it's broken.

I've been away for a week, finally saw it, clicked on each Day to see them, only got the 7th Day. Are users only able to claim them ON the day? It used to be you can claim them up to the final day for all of them in previous years :\

I'm not getting No. 8 either. Buggy badges are buggy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here